Chapter Fifteen: Never Forget
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Fifteen: Never Forget

~ Marie ~

Who was making all that noise? Her eyelids were too heavy for her to lift. Sleep was slowly starting to claim her again. No, can’t go to sleep. Marie worked harder to open her eyes. Her sight was blurry at first but it started to clear as she focused on her surroundings. Adrian was carrying her. His grip was firm and his body was tense. She glanced up at his face. He was staring at something straight ahead. Marie followed his gaze to the open doorway and the large group of vampires waiting outside. 

[Put me down.] There was no way he would be able to defend himself if he was carrying her.

[No.] A frown crossed his face briefly before disappearing. [Can you teleport us out of here?]

[Not from inside the house.] She had already tried after she'd seen the vampires outside but something was interfering with her ability. 

[How much damage can your barrier take?]

[Enough to get us out.] Even if it didn’t last that long, she still had enough magic to cast one more. Her eyes wandered around the room as they spoke. The door to the room was hanging off its hinges and there were cracks in the walls and ceiling. Past the vampires in the hall, there was a large crack on the wall behind them. Was the rest of the house like this as well? 

Adrian shifted his grip on her slightly then tightened his hold as if he was preparing for something. The vampires in the hall shifted to make an opening. That was not a good sign. A few moments passed before she heard what the vampires had already known. The sound of high heels was moving closer. 

[Get ready.] She didn’t like having to rely on Adrian but given her condition she didn’t have a choice. Marie wound her arms around his neck, linking her fingers together. Whatever he was planning to do, she would be ready for it. 

“What have you done?” The voice coming from the hallway was cold. The Mistress of Bel Meade came into view soon after. The vampires moved to one side giving her more room. The woman scanned the area and stopped on something behind them. The vampire’s eyes narrowed for a moment before it was replaced by a malicious smile. “You dared to disrespect us in our own home after the courtesy we have given you. I demand compensation for the wrongs you’ve committed.” Her smile grew wider as her eyes finally moved to Marie. “Perhaps a small donation from the Guardian” —Her eyes went back to Adrian’s face— “and the murderer delivered to us by tomorrow night.”

“No.”

“Well, since the Guardian took responsibility for you. She can take full responsibility for what has occurred and you are free to go.” The Mistress bowed mockingly as she gestured to the path created by the vampires behind her. The vampires smiled back as they stared at Marie.     

“I will take full responsibility for this after I’ve taken her home.” Marie turned to stare at him. What was Adrian doing?

“No. I wouldn’t want you to get lost on your way back.” His grip tightened more as he scowled at the other vampire.

“I don’t run from my responsibilities.”

“You can see her to the door.”

[Once you’re outside, can you teleport back to your house?]

[Yes but— ]

[Then do it.] “Alright.” Adrian nodded and walked forward.

“Right this way.” The Mistress smirked as she turned and swaggered back out. The vampires in the hallway leaned in as the two of them passed, getting as close to Marie as they could without touching either of them. Adrian was tense the entire time as they followed the Mistress back to the entrance. Marie scanned the areas they passed. Everywhere was damaged in one way or another. Cracks ran down walls and furniture lay on its side or was broken. It looked like a tornado and an earthquake had happened at the same time. She didn't see any of the vampires following them but it didn’t mean they weren’t being observed. Marie felt eyes staring at her from somewhere in the dark. 

Another door opened and they found themselves back in the living room. The Mistress held the front door open. Adrian moved forward but suddenly the woman stood about five feet in front of them.

“Drop her by the front door. Take a single step outside and the Guardian takes responsibility.” 

“Why does anyone have to take responsibility?” Marie had work to do and this was taking way too long. The only reason she kept quiet up to this point was because she didn’t trust this woman to let them come even this far. Better to wait until they were near the exit.

[Let me handle this.] Adrian’s voice was frustrated but his expression didn’t give anything away.

Why?” The woman frowned at Marie, her eyes going cold. “You have stripped our defenses and damaged our safe house and you wonder why.” 

“On second thought, I believe I’m owed a favor.” Considering the amount of work she had gone through, it was only fair. Not that she'd ever collect but they didn't need to know that.

[Marie.]

“Favor?” A laugh came from the vampire but her eyes blazed with anger. “I’ll do you a favor.”

“No. We had a deal.” Adrian took a step back as he tightened his grip on her.

“I changed my mind. Leave the human behind.” 

“No.”

“What do we have here?” Both vampires turned towards the voice. Adrian changed his stance so he kept both vampires in his sight. The former Mistress of Bel Meade froze for a moment before kneeling on the ground and bowing her head. Noah leaned against the wall with his arms crossed. “Leave us.”

“Yes, Master.” She stood up and stalked out the door. Noah studied the two of them as a faint smile graced his lips. He took a step forward and Adrian took a step back. Noah’s smile grew wider as he laughed but his blue eyes were cold.

“Very well. I’ll speak from here.” Noah focused on Marie before speaking again. “I do believe this was worth two favors but since you only asked for one then one it is. Do you have something in mind?” Marie shook her head. She wanted to ask for information but with so many ears listening in, it was better to wait. 

“Is he here?” Adrian spoke through clenched teeth. Noah’s gaze became unfocused. He tilted his head to the side before he looked at Adrian.

“No. None of my people know where he is.” Adrian nodded before turning and walking away. She caught a glimpse of Noah bowing before the door closed. 

Once they were outside, Adrian put her in his car and they drove off. Marie turned toward the house. There were cracks in the lawn and some of the windows were broken. They would not be forgetting her anytime soon.

1