Chapter 2 Part 1 (Updated)
23 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Those who can and who cannot

 

 

It’s been two weeks since the incident happened back at the campus of Tempest. Shinra regained most of his strength. However, he hasn’t spoken much towards his actions that time and Sheila-san was also busy for her last two terms here in Tempest.

“The first trial is about 1 month away from now. We haven’t practiced as a team yet.” Mika weighed her worries. The last time the three of us were together it was during that moment two weeks ago.

“Well, there’s also the possibility of not having any team events.” I added.

“It’s not about whether there would be team events or not... I just want to practice with the three of us together...” Her voice started to soften, and Mika’s eyes lowered. Since that night back at the festival we tried to focus on our studies first.

Although I felt the same for wanting things to be normal again. I mean who wouldn’t?

 

Not long the lunch break would soon end, and I left Mika by herself sitting at the withered tree.

‘I wish things would have gotten better since that day.’ I gritted my teeth.

 Walking down the hallway, students were filled with smiles and joy on their faces as they talk about the first trial and how hard they were preparing for it. The third years being the oldest having their last bout in the coming events, the second years focusing on their skills and choosing what they wanted to do before their third year, and the first years; who are the greenhorns as well as the main actors for this event, the first trial.

Holding such heavy thoughts, I carelessly paced faster and bumped into someone.

“Agh!” She tripped and fell on the floor in a graceful manner. The crowd for a moment looked at the scene and soon carried on with their stories of their life in Tempest. I stood up and extended my hand towards the girl I just bumped into.

“I’m sorry, I was thinking about something.” I shrugged the dust off my clothes.

“It’s fine; people sometimes are filled with problems that causes these things to happen.” She smiled. Her explanation was a little vague, but I got her point.

I took a side glance at her, and she wasn’t wearing the uniform of Tempest.

“Oh, were you just wondering if I am a student?” She closed the distance between us and gestured that we walk.

“Yes, haha. Sorry for staring like that...” I lowered my head and apologized.

“It’s fine I’m Marigold Leona, a 2nd year student from Dawness.” I stopped and got flustered all of a sudden. Just as her name pertains her hair was golden blonde.

“From the famous Dawness?” I got a bit worked up and my voice was a bit louder than usual.

Dawness is one of the Royal Family Schools and even above that, it is one of the three strongest Royal School hailed as the second powerhouse with Raven as the first and Fiera as the third strongest.

“Hey, that kid said Dawness, then is she...” The students along the hallway were murmuring with each other. I might have started a ruckus…

“Mari, where the heck were you?” She was also wearing the same outfit as Marigold. ‘Is that their uniform?’ Seeing the infamous golden rose-crest from their uniform it seems they were truly Dawness students.

“Ah, sorry I bumped to ah---”

“Sorry for not introducing earlier, Kan Uolo a first-year student of Tempest.” I introduced myself. I didn’t butcher my pronunciation or anything right?

“I see, anyways let’s go. We need to meet with Mariko-sensei.”  I looked at her and it seems she’s also a second year. She noticed my gaze.

“Hmm? Oh, I’m Frea a second year at Dawness.” Frea remarked displaying her deep blue eyes similar to a lapis lazuli. It’s not every day I get to meet students from other Royal Schools. “Nice to meet you, Marigold and Frea.” I tried to smile back.

“Mari is fine, Kan.” Mari waved before leaving.

“Nice to meet you too, see you later, Kan.” Frea added.

The murmurs died down and everything returned to normal.

 

‘From Dawness, I wonder what they are doing here?’ I was fiddling with that thought while I head towards my class.

“Well, it’s not like I would know just by thinking about it.” As I’ve said it’s pointless, but I like to draw conclusions based on observations. “Perhaps they are a part of Royal Ten?” They do look like the type of students who exudes that aura. Still, it’s weird when I feel as if something is about to happen. There’s that saying where great gathers trouble follows.

Then I wonder if there would be other students from different Royal Schools present in Tempest right now. That seems plausible. It would be a bit crazy to see them up close though.

Well there is also the saying of what you say turns true to those who fear it.

Standing still, I opened the front door. Funnily enough, there was another student with the same uniform as Mari and Frea although she was accompanied by another student, he emanates royalty just from seeing his translucent ocean eyes his presence can be compared to Lionne Allair. All the eyes were on me as I silently walked towards my seat it seems the Professor was explaining something.

“Late for seven minutes... this is not something a student of Tempest should tolerate, Kan Uolo.” The professor called me out right before I was about to sit down. ‘Jeez, you never said anything to anyone, but just because there’s another student from another school...’ Is what I would have wanted to say to his face, but of course I can’t do that.

Groaning in disappointment he continued. “As I was saying, the Founding Festival for the Royal Schools will be held 7 months from now. I expect each and every one of you would care to not slack off and be lazy, every now and then.” There were giggles from the students of Tempest. “A total of 13 representatives from Tempest having 5 representatives from year 1, 4 representatives from year 2 and year 3. As much as I want each and one of you to be one of those 5 representatives, you need to do your best and show your skills at the coming first trial to earn a spot for the 5 representatives.” The professor would look at me as if I was undeserving to be a part of those representatives.

‘Well, it’s not like I will be able to be a part of it.’ I thought to myself silently. I heard from the conversation of the students near me that the girl from Dawness was Reina Dawness and the guy was Kreto Nanillion from Raven.

“Reina Dawness from the Dawness Royal School and Kreto Nanillion from the Raven Royal School, be sure to remember these names as they are one of the representatives from their schools.” I could tell the students here are in awe of their presence.

Although there was one that has the same presence. “Lionne Allair you’re called from the principal office. Come with both Reina Dawness and Kreto Nanillion.” ‘Hold on, a pair of those trios?’ I can’t help but acknowledge that compared to them I’m just a helpless ant. As if they’re reminding to everyone that they are in leagues above us.

I felt disgusted at myself. ‘It’s not the time to think about things like this.’

As Lionne Allair stood up and walked towards them I couldn’t help but feel envy. It wasn’t consciously but I would always shift my gaze downwards whenever I tried to run away.

.

.

.

“...”

Abruptly, someone opened the door while my eyes were filled with loath.

“Is Kan Uolo here?” It was Marigold Leona. Our eyes met as she walked up hastily near my seat. Each step she takes, a faint hope stirs within me.

“Let’s go.” Like a bird finally able to break free from his deep-rooted chains. Those words meant like that for me. A surge of uncertainty and euphoria coursed through my heart strangely enough.

 I smiled back at Mari’s face that was brimming with nothing but light.

“Oh Mari, you know him?” Reina Dawness walked up to us. It feels so liberating.

“Yeah, he was called out by the principal, and I volunteered to escort him.” Still, I couldn’t help, but feel like I am trespassing an unknown territory.

“Then let’s go.” Reina Dawness remarked as Kreto Nanillion exited the door.

“W-waa...” The professor couldn’t say anything and everyone in the class also faced a storm of confusedness and ridiculousness

‘Is this what it’s like being a Royal?’ I had that thought for the first and last time.

Closing the door, I slightly peeked and smirked back at the classroom.

 

“Where’s Frea?” Reina Dawness casually paced besides us.

“Oh, she went to fetch the other students like Kan here.” Mari and Reina took a glance at me.

“P-perhaps is it Mika Torri and Shinra Mavirus?” I asked nervously, take back what I’ve said it’s still nerve-wracking being here.

“Yeah! Then you know them, right?” Mari was being so friendly towards me; I don’t know if it is just her nature or what.

“I’m good friends with them.” I got the gist of why I was called but to be summoned and walk with this kind of group. There’s no reason not to worry about your appearance and gestures. I was self-conscious all the way.

Lionne and Kreto were casually talking about what they are doing right now.

I know I didn’t belong in this kind of group, but I was certainly a little bit happy.

The students and some professor's gazes were all pinpointed at me whenever they saw an irregular in this group. I couldn’t blame them. ‘Ahh, why am I even thinking like this? I should let it go.’

I let their gazes go and focused to what the principal could want.

We went to the main floor and head straight towards the hallway in the left. I would casually reply to them and after a few minutes of talking we would eventually see a striking lady standing a few meters behind a huge door. We walked towards her.

“May I please see your handbooks?” I had a hunch, but she looked like the secretary of the principal. Wearing a jet-black corporate outfit showcasing her slender body, I’m convinced...

Confirming our handbooks, I was up next, and I showed it to her.

“Kan Uolo, I see you may enter the room, but I will hold onto your handbook for the time being.” She remarked. I was about to ask why but when I looked into her eyes it seemed I can’t ask the reason.

“Let’s go, Kan.” Once again Mari was smiling wholeheartedly. I replied. “Yeah, let’s go.”

Kreto Nanillion opened the door and what awaits us. Is something I didn’t know I could be a part of.

 

Mika Torri POV

 

‘Why is everything so gloomy these past weeks?’ I clenched my fist tightly.

“Idiot...” I fumbled as I looked at Kan’s back. Ever since that night I could not focus on my studies. “Jeez, why does he have to do that and then leave me hanging afterwards?” I annoyingly stomped my feet at the ground.

Recollecting why we haven’t been able to get together. That scene back then...I still couldn’t believe what happened. I wanted to talk to Shinra although I know that it would be difficult as he is clearly avoiding the topic.

“I could not even help my friends. How useless of me.” I have felt once again the feeling solitude.

There was not anything to do for the past weeks but just replay moments from the past repeatedly before desperately expelling it. “I wonder if Kan would cast that spell for me again.” Even though everyday was not rainbows and butterflies, there were times I could still be a normal girl. And in those moments, I want to share it with them.

 

I sat there alone for a while. As I stood up, I could feel the weight of these thoughts running through my head. I took a deep breath and head on to my class.

I never liked new people being friends with me. ‘However, those two...’ Everyone’s eyes were felt with grief and pity whenever they look at me. Kan also had those eyes when I shared my story. ‘I wonder if in everyone’s eyes I’m just a helpless girl?’

Nothing positive seemed to come out from my mind.

Wrestling with these thoughts someone came up to me.

“Excuse me, are you Mika Torri?” It was a girl wearing another uniform. She quickly introduced herself after I nodded.

“I see, I’m Frea a second-year student from Dawness Royal School.” She was a bit taller than me, and she almost has an hourglass figure. I was staring blanky at her before Frea continued.

“I’m asked by my teacher, Mariko-sensei to escort you from the principal’s office. The principal asked my teacher for a favor.” Her eyes... were normal. It wasn’t filled with pity and grief.

“If it’s alright, we should go Ms. Mika Torri.” Frea added.

“Mika is fine.” I got used to conversing with other people again thanks to Kan and Shinra being there.

“I see, you can also call me just Frea.” She replied while smiling a little, as I smiled back.

‘I wonder if Kan and Shinra are also going to be there?’

I was at my class door when she called out to me. It seemed not informing the teacher was fine.

“Are you really sure it’s fine Frea, won’t the professor mark me absent?” I worriedly asked.

 

We were already at the main floor.

“It’s fine, Mika. Anyway, we’re already here so let’s do our best shall we?” Frea encouraged me, she gives off a friendly vibe around her.

There was a woman near the door. It was the secretary of the principal. She asked for our handbooks.

“Here’s your handbook you may enter, Mika Torri and Frea.” As if I was waiting for Frea’s surname the secretary didn’t say anything further. I thought it might be rude to ask her, so I tossed the thought aside.

“By the way what do you mean by, do your best?” I asked before she placed her hands on the door.

“Well, see for yourself.” She slowly opened the giant door before us.

It was a large room with a rectangular table across the room placed at the middle.

There were students from different Royal schools. Most of them were royalty and their professors were with them. I looked around the room and my eyes were locked on the moment I saw him.

‘Shinra...’ I told to myself.

“Frea from Dawness Royal School and who are you lady from the Tempest Royal School?” It was the professor from Raven.

“M-Mika Torri, Sir.” I stuttered bombed with a large crowd suddenly.

“Torri, hmm?” His eyes tell me he knows more.

“I’ll see you later, Mika.” Frea walked up to her seat next to her professor, who seemed nice and waved at me.

“Mika.” Someone called out to me, I looked around and it was Sheila-san next to Shinra.

I walked towards them, and they were seated to a different table than the rest of the Royal school students. I sat next to Shinra.

“Hey, Shinra.” I nervously greeted Shinra smiling, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen him.

“Nice to see you, Mika.” His eyes weren’t telling the same.

“I thought Kan would be with you, Mika?” Sheila-san asked me, telling us to relax.

“I also thought he would be with you guys already.” I remembered the incident a few weeks ago. “Well, he is always late right, haha.” Back at the time when the three of us are still happy.

“It’s all right if you still can’t tell us Shinra, we’ll be waiting so please cheer up a bit, ok?” Out of nowhere I remarked. ‘What did I just say?’

 Both Sheila-san and Shinra were taken aback.

“Mmm, thanks Mika.” Shinra genuinely smiled a little bit. His eyes were a little bit more relaxed now.

“Are we even supposed to be here?” I nonchalantly asked unable to compose myself dignifiedly.

“Yeah, the principal needs to talk about the incident two weeks ago, but Tania-sensei said that we can listen to their conversation, in the meantime.” Sheila-san casually explained while sipping a tea.

“Tania-sensei as the Century Witch Tania?” I was a bit surprised, but I lowered my voice.

“Yeah, you’ve met her before in the library.” Sheila-san remarked. “She’s the head libarian.” She added.

“Ehh...?” I was shocked. “Did you know about this Shinra?”

“Kind of... actually.” He replied, scratching his head.

“Excuse us.” A voice from a student silenced the room. The door from where I came from opened and we all saw his uniform. ‘Raven...’ Every person in the room noticed their presence and turned to look at them.

‘They were true royalty...’ I thought.

“Kreto Nanillion, for a bit I felt as if I was in front of your father. Excellent!” His professor from the raven expressed deeply.

“Reina Dawness, brimming with royalty as usual.” It appears to be the raven professor is well-acquainted with them or was just simply a talkative person.

“I’m flattered.” Reina Dawness remarked.

“Marigold Leona, I’ll be looking forward to your performance at the Founding Festival.” It was a scene most of us noticed. I looked at Marigold Leona and she was conversing with... Kan. “Hmmm...?” The raven professor noticed as well.

“A Tempest uniform perhaps one of them?” He pointed at us.

Kan noticed us immediately and smiled.

“Yes, Kan Uolo, Sir.” His eyes... it’s full of life as if a heavy weight has just been lifted from his back. ‘Is it because with that girl? Marigold Leona...’ I averted my gaze unconsciously.

“Idiot... Kan.” I softly utter. Shinra noticed what I said but pay no heed.

‘Always talking with other girls...’

1