Chapter 2 Part 7 (Updated)
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mika Torri POV

 

Cold sweat continues to trickle through the blanket of my bed as I lie awake gasping. Voices of yesterday and flashes of rotted bodies persistently haunted me. It was already noon, the classes had just ended for the other students. I did not want to remember what happened earlier.

“Is Kan and Shinra alright? Perhaps I should go back and…” The thought of seeing someone made me feel nauseated as my vision became blurry in the process.

In desperation, I took a bottle of water atop the desk until what I had feared came, there was a knock coming from my door.

My senses heightened as the notion that I was still in a dream escalated further in my mind.

“Hello, is anyone there?” An unknown voice trespassed the walls as I tried to cautiously walk towards the door.

“W-who is it?” A meek voice came out of my mouth.

“Ahh, is it you Mika Torri?” The person behind the door seemed pleased to hear my voice. That was the limit that I could interact with anyone right now. I could not respond any further.

“Are you still there?” I tried to raise my voice, yet my body is repulsively stopping it causing a faint shriek as a result.

“I just wanted to say that you may not remember who I am, but I was there that day. When the coup d'état happened.” Even if it was vague, I could already understand what he meant. I suddenly lost power and fell down, circulations of anger and fear ruled over the room.

I tried to reach for an answer and a face I did not want to remember popped up. I helplessly stare at the space until I heard his next words.

“Ah, how fun is it to kill everyone especially the little princess... ahh...” At that instant I could feel the resentment taking over causing a small outburst of pure mana to create ripples of cracks in space.

“How cute, to see you all angry and overbearing... Don’t worry I won’t kill you, I just learned that you decided to enroll in here; still under the name of Torri.”

‘Shut up...’

“Oh yeah, how was it?”

‘Shut up........!’

“To kill the King of Auriora! Hahahahaha...!”

“Shut up…!” A crack would open until I lost power.

“...! You can’t go berserk, yet you know that I specifically spare you because of your power, right? I don’t have to even say my name for you to know. I am the incarnation of imminent fear to you. Oh, how fun it is to be me? Hahahahaa...! See ya, Murderer.”

There was brief silence for a second.

“Right, right one last thing. I saw some students you were quite chatty with were their names Kan Uolo and Shinra Mavirus?” I tried to break free from his invisible bind spell as I quickly expended the little mana I have.

“Oooh, I could hear you struggling there. You would not want them to end up dead right? Hahahaha...you cannot escape from me, Mika Torri...”

His faint footsteps reverberated throughout the room.

“...”

‘....arrrghahhhhh...!’

Even with all that yelling and hurting myself nothing happened. I slowly bleed myself in an attempt to even move an inch, as I got pulled back to the abyss…

.

..

.

….

.

 

--------------------------

 

I wonder why this memory in particular. Out of everything, I cannot forget the day I have failed the entrance exam of Sakria a school that nurtures students before they move up to the famed Royal School Raven.

“Will you really be alright, Mika? You were so nervous you only slept for a few hours, perhaps I should go with you after all.” Kiria Torri, my beloved mother, she often shows that she can handle things when she normally couldn’t. I took that habit from her, unconditionally.

“Jeez, Mom you don’t have to say that in public and besides I already am capable of protecting myself and everyone, hehe.” Posing my chin up high, I took pride to the ferocious training I went through for the last month.

“That’s right, our little Mika is all grown-up and will even be stronger once she comes back bearing the good news.” Leous Torri, the father I respected, and the man I wanted to be acknowledged by. I did not want to let them down.

“Yes, that’s why you all should just take it easy, and I’ll take care of you Mom, Dad, and Alea.” Alea was quick to jump at my back and throwed a tantrum that she would not let me go. Not long afterwards Dad carried Alea so that I would not be late to the time of the entrance exam.

That was 5 years ago… How far and short it was…

After taking the entrance exam, it was more difficult than what I had prepared for. Still, I did not waste the month I spent learning and training magic to only get a few points away from a passing grade, except that was the reality. I did not pass the exam.

What would be the reactions of Mom and Dad once I got back home, and I could only give them bad news? “I’m a failure…” Chills shiver through my body. “I don’t want to go back…” In hopes to find redemption, thoughts of doing unordinary tasks and impossible quests frequently come across my mind. I already knew none of those things would be possible. I made up my mind, I would train harder and learn more. Even if I am defeated today that does not mean I would be defeated every time.

And that was what I tried to do; I came home to relay the bad news. Just then, before the face of the problem, I got cold feet and try to turn back. As always, I would run away, they cannot possibly be mad at me, I’m their daughter. And why did I even have to undergo an exam when I’m a princess?

“Oh, you’re home early, Mika. Come inside and take off your bag I’ll call your mom and sister for a minute.” I should tell Dad right now. What if he got mad and yell at me? Why does it matter? It matters a lot!

“Dad…”

“Wait I’ll call

“I failed the test…”

“…. I see.” ‘I closed my eyes. Just how much of a failure am I—’

“Mika, come here.” I did not open my eyes, but I could feel the warmth of a sincere hug. “You did your best. That’s all there is to it.” Suddenly, there were tears rolling down.

“I did my best…? Why aren’t you mad? I am the princess of a kingdom it is only natural to pass and get an outstanding grade, but I did not achieve anything and even disgraced our name.”

“Since when did you think of such stuff like that, Mika? In my eyes, you are already a fantastic princess of our kingdom.” There wasn’t any hint of lie to Dad’s remark. Indeed, there wasn’t but…there should be no buts.

“A fantastic princess that cannot pass an exam? I practiced…study many books. Even got the help of other people. But I still did not pass it…”

“Mika…listen to me very carefully, ok?

“A princess you see is not someone that is invincible. They also fail and get sad at their failures. And at times when you fail and get sad about it, remember that you are not a princess. You’re my beautiful daughter, so it’s all right to cry and accept that you cannot be good at everything you do. I won’t be mad and be disappointed in you, my job is to be with you whenever you are happy or sad. That’s why tell me everything, ok?” Dad caressed my head as I let out my frustrations and feelings cry out for the first time.

After Mom and Alea walked inside the room they all hurriedly and cry together with me.

“Jeez, you guys don’t have to keep treating me like a child. I’ll train hard and do my best again!”

“You don’t have to go as a princess when you take the exam again, Mika. Be proud and show them how great the daughter of Leous and Kiria is!” Mom snuggled me up and I finally remembered the words they have told me back then.

.

.

.

To let go of being a princess and just be Mika Torri, the daughter of Leous Torri and Kiria Torri. The sensation of their warmth at that time is still present to this day. I have already decided that I would bear the weight of being the princess of Auriora Kingdom, but I should also must not forget that I am more than just that.

I am the Esteemed Princess of Auriora Kingdom after all.

.

.

.

----------------------

 

Coming back to reality. I took hold of my mind and finally forgave myself as I desperately bit my lips to regain consciousness.

‘Move...move... don’t let him take away the things that are important to you anymore...!’

“...”

‘What are you doing, Mika Torri? Get up!’

“...”

‘Please... please... get up...! I beg of you...’

“I don’t want anything to be taken away from me ever again...!”

All the way throughout the past those words that I contained for so long at the depths of my heart finally reached the present.

I somewhat regained control of myself and stood up hurriedly chasing the traces of mana that man had left behind.

I know at this very moment that I can be true to them this moment. For the first time, I genuinely smiled. The feeling of sweat trickling along the humid air, the weight of your body, and the power to move. It feels as if I had just regained all of this and so many more.

‘I can’t let him harm Kan and Shinra.’

 

Breezing through the street walks as the sun is still up for an hour. ‘I need to get there as fast as I can.’

“Quick Tempo: Moderato.”

Everything became clearer as I continued to face them even at this moment.

There were not many students as I swiftly glide through the wind.

“Ahh, you’re Mika Torri, right?” Someone from the students at a different royal school suddenly called towards me.

There were so many things suddenly resurfacing from my consciousness that I did not have the time to process a reply as I was getting close towards the men's dorm.

A sudden shock stopped me from my tracks that roared throughout the whole campus. “What was that!?” Gusts of strong cold wind came from outside the school. I quickly snapped from confusion.

There was no use thinking of what I do not know. I immediately took a deep breath as my consciousness fell to a deep relaxed state causing me to heighten my instincts and reflexes.

“Calm Mind: Flow of the River”

I propelled upwards using wind magic and scanned to what floor is there a strange flow of mana.

“5th Floor.”

My foot faintly touched the space midair and used it as a force to lunge forward. Just before coming in contact with the wall a small burst of explosion shattered half of the hallway on the 5th Floor.

“Kan...!” I heard Shinra’s voice.

“Don’t worry about me, Shinra are you okay?” Ragged uniform and his hands were burnt possibly a second-degree one.

“Sonnet of the Courageous: Bard’s Call!” A euphonious voice resonated throughout where Kan and Shinra were.

“Mika!” Both of them looked back and noticed me. I landed at the 5th Floor as the man before me smile in excitement.

“Run away now, Kan take Shinra with you.” “Wh-what are you saying?” In a hurry, I tried to stop any possible signs of collapse.

“I knew you would come here Mika.” Vanque Milios, one of the founding and former members of Azure.

“You’ll never---”

“Don’t! Leave this to me, Kan.” I could see that he was not in any shape to fight anymore and Shinra was still recovering from his outburst back then. I am the only one that can take him on now.

“Okay, we understand Mika.” Shinra voiced out.

“We’ll go and call the teachers be safe, Mika.” I could sense from Shinra that he is trying his hardest to do the right thing and call for help.

Kan could not understand as I looked at him.

“I don’t agree that we should leave you right here, but we will come back with Principal Cainne, Tania-sensei and Sheila-san!”

“Yeah.”

Shinra helped Kan walked as they go and call for help.

“One more thing, we’ll definitely see you later, Mika.” Jeez, just go already you’re making me tear up.

“Of course, I’ll see you later. Now, go!”

I tried to stop any tears from falling out of my eyes.

“Are you finished yet? Because did you think I would let those two go unscathed?”

‘Focus... now Mika.’

“Auriora’s Thirteen Series: 1st Series Revolutionary Shock Waves.”

“I have never heard of such technique. Never mind, it would not amount to anything anyway. Remember this finger that destroyed your beloved kingdom and its citizens? Try your best, Mika Torri.” I fully remember how everything that I adored back then was forcefully taken from me. There’s nothing that I can do that would bring back those shattered smiles you’ve caused.

“I was never the same princess, girl, person, nor the Mika Torri you knew just a moment ago. Be careful of the roars of the dead, Vanque Milios I cannot contain it any longer. The howls and cries of the people of Auriora.” I quickly took a stance exercising my hands as this would be the first time, I can slightly control this kind of magic.

It was only a millisecond but at the very moment where I casted myself under the spell of Calm Mind my brain could process everything 1,000th times quickly than it was before. I charged forward by swift steps and rapidly adding my tempo increasing towards Presto. Just before a second passes, I quickly dismissed a powerful magic nullification effect towards the whole men’s dorm and readied an attack.

“Revolutionary Shock Waves Hundredfold...!”

‘My attack would finally reach him...’

“Specter's Howl.” He quickly regained control of his magic and dispelled a preventive defense spell.

“...!”

“Aaaaarghh...!” I let out a war cry.

‘It hit...!’

In that instant exactly I managed to bypass his defense momentarily before it manifested completely as a spell hitting him with my full power revolutionary shock wave at hundredfold.

“Quick Tempo: Presto!” A series of shock waves dominated the area. With that much power surely, he did not come unscathed.

“Urghh... Hahahaha...! This is awesome! You’ve surpassed my expectations, Mika!” Out of the blue Vanque Milios let loose disturbingly amounts of pure mana causing the whole men’s dorm to quake uncontrollably. Blinding blue lights enveloped the surroundings.

The whole district of dorms was jerking around as I lose my foothold. “Unparalleled Magic: God’s Hand.” Bricks, blocks, and chunks of the buildings were being controlled by Vanque. Losing track of the surroundings I focused to find a way out only to be completely cornered. “Show me...! More of your power, Mika! Hahahaha...!” As he manipulated all the objects within us there was no way to counter but to face it head-on.

“Shout and transcend even time itself. At the face of eternity cause chaos. Revolve and contract at my disposal. Break everything in your path towards the conquest of your wills! O Revolutionary Shockwaves Hundred–––Three hundred-fold!” There was no way of knowing how long my mana pool and body will keep up against him. I already knew I cannot keep using the same attack recklessly.

“Oooohhh, the sight of you right now Mika Torri. It’s great keep struggling!”

First, I need to get out of this place.

“You won’t go anywhere, Mika Torri.” Using his hand to control the air, I could feel the power of a surging tornado thrust me upwards against the endless dark sky.

‘This is so crazy... Have all my attacks meant nothing?’

Vanque Milios remained in high spirits as he extends his right-hand pointing above the pitch-black sky. At the height where we were I could see the entirety of Tempest from the hill downwards as well as the grass plains covered in snow. When out of nowhere a streak of white line flawlessly bolted across the grass plains towards the inside of Tempest directly beneath us in a span of two seconds.

0