Chapter 1 Part 5.5 (Updated)
43 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What it takes to know someone 

 

 

“Can you answer this question, you there… Kan Uolo.”

“Oh, Tempest was formed by the founding seven mages or the Diadems of Golden Age. They were originally eight magicians according to past versions but was later revealed that there are only seven magicians that were recorded by the original texts of seven royal nations. And such---”

“I was asking about the names of the founding seven royal magicians.” Giggles and stares of mockery were aimed at me.

“But that’s fine I’m sure you all know it by heart what their names are, and let’s move onto what had Kan shared.” It was the first class in the afternoon as Wind Defense Arts was moved due to schedule issues of one of the professors. For some reason, we had been tackling a brief history to learn how wind magic originated. Professor Goodwill was the one teaching this class, one of the famous professors and had some notable background.

Although my body is present, my mind was absent. It is already Thursday. I only had a day left to convince Shinra. And so, I finished the rest of the class with an absentminded state.

           

Without anywhere to go to, I silently left the main halls and moved to the library.

           

“Intermediate Magic Spells. Instruction Manual: Advanced Magic Manipulation Part 1,2, and 3. How to Cultivate your Mana Pool and Raise your Magic Power.” Taking the opposite vacant seat, Sheila-san invited herself at the table.

“You certainly have picked the good books, but these aren’t what you need right now, junior.” Nonchalantly invalidating my efforts, I took the deepest breath I could muster.

“What do you mean, Sheila-san? I’m doing my best to help my friends.” Putting on a fake smile, I replied revealing these dead eyes of mine.

“If getting stronger and defeating their enemies is what you call help, then you’re wrong. Or are you helping yourself by proving you’re not slowing them down?”

“What do you even know…?” I could feel my voice faintly screeching. I can’t keep listening to someone who’s always full of herself.

“It’s simple really, look at yourself in the mirror and you’ll find out.” Her words yet vague kept stirring up the emotions within me. “At your state right now you cannot help them, you cannot help other people, not even yourself. Heck, even having the thought of helping someone is laughable considering what you are right now.”

“The hell…? What’s wrong with helping someone, helping my first friends! Is that so grandiose and ambitious for the likes of me?” I couldn’t help but get triggered hearing Sheila’s preaching remarks.

It only took a moment for me to sense Shinra’s presence at my back.

“Shinra, I…” Before I could even talk to him, he had already left. In an attempt to clear things up, I tried to catch up to him when Sheila stopped me.

“How badly do you want to be revered and praised by Sheila Neru!?”  

“Have you been listening to what I’ve said earlier?”

“Listen to what? I could only hear condescending words of looking down upon me!”

“Haah, come with me Kan.” Sighing a deep breath, her sharp eyes beckoned me to follow.

           

“Here drink this and take some deep breaths.” We were at the backside of the library.

“Do you know why I deliberately made you angry, Kan?” Without replying she continued, “It’s so that you’ll let it all out. You’ve been sitting with your emotions for a while, haven’t you?”

She saw right through me. I already knew I got too heated and let my emotions get the better of me. But hearing the remarks of what Sheila said earlier, I could not keep shut and not say anything. I loosened my rigid tensed fist, “Am I that easy to read, haha? I’m sorry, Sheila-san.”

“Don’t be, I’m also worried about you Kan. Your eyes earlier looked like someone who had been at a dead end. And you might be, but as I’ve said earlier take a closer look within. You think that you are helping yourself by helping others so that you won’t feel any insecurity and other negative emotions. That’s such a twisted logic. That might not be a good interpretation but that’s how I see it.”

“No, that’s how I would put it Sheila-san.” I felt some weight had disappeared from my back. Browsing through, I looked up and glanced at Sheila-san. “Haaah, I’ve got a lot to process don’t I, haha?”

“You finally looked back. You don’t have to do it all right away, I’m sure you know that. You’ve only been in Tempest for what, almost three weeks? To someone else, you’ve done what they would be able to in three months. Don’t lower your boundary, Kan. Otherwise, it’ll place a burden to you forever.” Hearing Sheila-san’s advice earlier felt like a verdict, yet now it feels words of encouragement and a hint of care coming from her. ‘It’s such a strange thing.’

“If I ever lose my way again, please help me Sheila-san.”

“I’ll do what I think is right, at least…”

“Last time, I found Shinra Mavirus he was somewhere in the back of the campus I don’t know if that’s enough clue for you.” Maybe it was written all over my place, Sheila-san gave her insights to where Shinra is.

“That’s more than enough, thank you Sheila-san!” And where else could he be rather than that place?

 

Sprinting along the way, I had heard that some 2nd year students were confined due to their conditions. ‘Could it have been those 2nd years?’ Little by little, I slowed down. Halted by thoughts of what should I say to Shinra and how do I face him after what happened? I quickly dismissed it and kept on.

“After this corner, I’ll properly talk to Shinra and tell him what I have in mind.” Psyching myself, I turned right and…there he was.

“Shin---”

“Kan will you hear me out?” Ahh, here it is…I couldn’t clear my throat to say anything and only nodded in reply.

“I cannot stop myself when someone I care about gets hurt. I will eliminate that person with everything I have… That’s why I won’t say sorry for what I have done.” Completely far from what I was expecting. Shinra does not want to sugarcoat words and instead say what he has in mind.

“It’s strange right? How I got mad for Mika when I clearly only know you guys for about a few weeks. But then I guess that’s how I value you guys.”

“I’m glad about what you said Shinra. Just because I could tell that’s how you are. Like Mika, she is very upfront, does not care about what other people has to say, and rather shows her unique other side to the people she cares about.” The peculiar feeling earlier was this…we were afraid of showing others our true self.

“Well about you Kan, you’re quick to point out your weakness but still inevitably found ways to stand your ground. In the process of doing so, you’re at the rim of the spotlight.”  Someone crept up behind us and slowly took a seat. It was Mika.

“Are you feeling alright now?” I stood up and looked to help her when she insisted otherwise.

There was a small moment of silence between Mika and Shinra.

“I won’t say sorry for what I have done last time.”

“I know, although I could tell you there are other ways. It’ll make do with this… Thank you, Shinra for protecting me.” Friends…to a passerby we may very well be friends. Yet, it is not easily definable as one word. And not as grandiose as one may think.

After we had cleared any misunderstandings, we helped Mika get back at her room and took a break for the rest of the day.

           

-----------------------

 

It was already Friday in the afternoon. There were not any classes once again as they were finalizing the schedule for the following semesters. Talk of the day is that there would be many events this year and that a new system would be implemented somewhere before the Founding Festival.

I was the type to frantically worry about things like that. However, I had other things to think about one of which would be tomorrow. Since earlier all I did was read books. “What I need is experience.” A knock came through the door. “Where should we practice?” There was only one place in his mind. “I found a good spot somewhere, let’s have a look around there.”

           

Shinra found a spacious area. “This is certainly a good area, but can we use this place?” We were at the rooftop of our dorm. I had never taken a good view of Tempest at a high place. There were a few buildings that were already eye-catching one of which is the arena up in the sky. It is said that it used to be a fighting ground of the seven royal families. Nowadays, the Sage is taking care of it, according to what I’ve read. “The Royal’s Coliseum. I’m surprised it’s open right now.” It is only visible on important events, perhaps it might be related to the suspension of classes. “The view is good right? But that’s not what I have planned for today.”

Taking on a stance Mavirus asked for a match. I did not once think of running away or blaming my weakness. However, seeing what he has done so far. It caused chills throughout my body. “I won’t hold back Kan.” Shinra uses lightning magic. An element that is both beautiful and deadly. It also takes more control than the basic element to be able to use it effectively. I wonder how much practice Shinra had to go through for his lightning magic to be this entrancing. “You’ve got guts spacing out Kan. Lightning Strike!”

Without any time to prepare I hastily concentrated my mana to create a barrier before Shinra bolted in front of me. He extended his fist aiming for the weak point of the barrier. It broke. ‘It’s going to hit me!’

“Focus up. The Kan Uolo I know is more capable than this.” He stopped his fist right at my abdomen. “Sorry, I was just wondering how powerful your lightning magic is.” Shinra did not expect what I said. “Well, you know I have a good affinity to lightning.” He continued. “I know how dangerous lightning is and how difficult it is to use. But I have my reasons as to why I will keep on using this.”

“I see. I’m sorry for spacing out earlier. I’ll learn what I can to improve!” Just as Shinra have reasons to continue using lightning I also long for something similar to that.

.

.

Hours passed since we were at the rooftop. Ripples of doubt and anxiousness easily come and go as I head out of my room. This nervousness completely exceeds when you are presenting a project in class. Walking along the halls, it seems Shinra had already left his room earlier than what was agreed upon. After a few minutes, glances and side turns from the students were apparent around me. That’s right, Hawklight rented a small practice ground. Apparently mock matches between students are not frowned upon in Tempest. So, there was no reason for teachers to stop this kind of things.

 

“The first month since I enrolled, I’m already participating in a fight against one of the strongest squads in Tempest. I don’t know if I should be excited or get worried for the coming months.” Carrying on a deep sigh I eventually got to the agreed place.

I should have known better. The people’s faces earlier were already suspicious enough. I got the time wrong! “You’ve finally showed up you cowar---”

“You’re fighting me!”

1