Chapter 2 Part 6 (Updated)
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

??? POV

 

The aftereffects of releasing the second mana circulation back then greatly affected my mental state even now. I wonder how long this image of mine can last.

Kan Uolo, Mika Torri, and Shinra Mavirus this particular trio caught my attention even before they formed their little group. Their different backgrounds and an anomaly of a student Kan Uolo led me to pique a strange interest towards his nature. Which later turns out to be boring until his fruition. I wanted to examine them further but with the interference of Inerva and these worthless old teachers I might not be able to do so.

Their answers towards the witch questions are making me lose hope that they would hinder themselves from their greatest potential.

“You seemed a little down, Inerva.” the Witch questioned.

“It's just, I wonder if approaching their problems this way was of any help to them?” Inerva seemed to have taken a liking to the students. I kept silent and listened through this boring conversation.

“What do you think, Sheila? You were with them for quite a bit.” And she even dared to question me.

“To be honest, there was no way of knowing if what you tried to do helped them. It might not be visible in the present, but it might still factor in the long run.” Please spare me those sickening eyes of yours, Inerva.

“Is there even a need to let the students and professors from the other school know of this accident?” Goodwill dumbfoundedly asked tilting his head confused. Well, that’s what someone with no intellect could only see.  

Inerva tried to answer but Cainne spoke for the first time since an hour ago.

“I have heard that they are acquainted with Lionne Allair and he specifically asked to let them hear the meeting today.”

Lionne Allair, if he displayed unaccounted signs of goals against the Allair policies he might be someone to take down in the future. It seems these batch of greenhorn students I have witnessed today would be a big part in the near future.

“What a strange kid.” Damn right, witch.

“Anyway, the last bell would soon ring, I suppose we should get going.” Finally, I can get out of this hellhole.

“Are you going to the library after this, Sheila?” Tania-sensei asked sparing no time, it seems she has to entertain some professors from the other Royal Schools.

“Actually, I was wondering if I could take some of your time, Sheila?” Inerva then butted in. I denied Tania-sensei's offer and followed Inerva outside.

           

----------------------

 

We seemed to be heading towards the place where I fought off the intruder back then. What is she planning? I scanned through the surroundings using a custom spell.

“This is where you fought the spy that was eavesdropping the conversation you had with Kan and the others back then, right?” The mighty sun beamed a yellowish shade of light towards her face.

“Yes, this is where it happened before he escaped.” Where is she going with this?

It didn’t take a long time to realize it. Suddenly a faint smile drew upon my face. “I happened to investigate this area after your fight and an unusual discovery was found.” Putting her right hand around her waist and lifting her left hand as if showing something. Since when did I notice that I hate her? Was it her nature, her face, or her very existence?

“There’s no need to keep silent, I already know, Cecilia Merue.” That’s right, I just hated her since I saw her that day. Oh, how come I could hate a person just by seeing them?

“What about, Cecilia Merue?” I could already feel that she has created a veil, an interesting one. Cladded in different runes where could she have found this? How funny is it that I cannot escape? ‘How pitiful that it would be your blunder to lock me in the same place as you.’

“I supposed I need to spell it out for you. The notorious Cecilia Merue from the Six Calamities. I wonder what you are doing here in Tempest under the name of Sheila Neru?”

“You shouldn’t say those kinds of names out in the public especially the Six Calamities. Besides this isn’t like you Inerva, was helping Kan and the others simply a farce to lure me out here?”

“Do you even know the first thing about me? I do want to help those students, but this matter is different; this is something I have been waiting for a long time, Cecilia Merue.”

“There you go again casually saying such name... Well, to be honest I’m even more surprised that somehow you think you’d get out of this place alive considering you triggered your death flag.”

“What made you think that I did not think this through? Besides can you really use your full power here? I’ve dealt with infamous criminals before I decided to take a break here in Tempest don’t make light of me.” Inerva’s determination was more of a joke than resolve. The Witch and the Principal is still around, there is also the possibility of the professors from different Royal Schools to stick their noses as well. Nonetheless, it would never put me in a disadvantageous position even without exerting much power. I suppose I have no choice but to end this quickly. I ponder if things would go as Inerva planned it out to be.

I could already foretell the outcome; the wheels of fate would be anchored by me.

“Are you finished? Because if you won’t attack I would.”  At this point, she’s just marching to her death unknowingly. Be that as it may, there would always be a thought clouding a part of her mind that she’ll never win.

Starting the first movement, a tremendous amount of magicules surge forth around Inerva.

“Quiet down.”

 

 

Inerva Vonne POV

 

“Frozen Lullaby...” Controlling the air particles around and letting out countless ice magicules to completely change the environment inside the veil was not an easy task.

I had already placed numerous traps and spells around the veil. Still, that is not nearly enough, not even close to getting her to focus on me. I’m dealing with one of the Six Calamities, Cecilia Merue. The very same woman that destroyed a kingdom when she fought off two demon lords in the process. The amount of absurdity in that thought is baffling and now here I am in front of that same person. Although I know that she cannot use that kind of power here. There must be a reason that she is hiding here in Tempest, and I need to find out why before I lose the edge in this fight.

Cecilia maintained to cover her physical form shrouding herself with pure mana residue to avoid the aftereffects of Frozen Lullaby. It appears to be that she’s not showing signs of fighting back.

“Are you going to remain standing there and not fight back?” I traced the mana lines of the traps I set up earlier to plan my next attack. Numerous thoughts would ran through my head, tactics, traps, special spells, reason, revenge, and hesitation would stream over my mind.

With no response to my question the atmosphere around Sheila seemed to change once I stepped a bit closer to her. In that instant, I would certainly come to know what it means to fight one of the Six Calamities.

“Glacial Shards.” Close to a 100 Glacial Shards that were at the highest refined spell. I commanded several glacial shards to force Cecilia to move. When an intense weight unnoticedly gravitated towards me. After I tried to break free from her gravity magic the sensation of an attack instantly killing me overwhelmed my entire being. It took for who knows how long, as I just noticed my breathing intensify as little by little my hands were beginning to tremble as it lashes around dreading at the person before me. ‘What did I just experience?’ I have defeated countless infamous criminals from the last Continent War surely, if you sum it up it would be close to a power of one of the Six Calamities, yet this fear I harbor is vastly different.

“Getting cold feet?” I cannot directly look at her eyes…why?

“Huh, me in fear of you?” Even with all the traps, spells, and power I have all conserved for this fight. I cannot still find an outcome where I would win, let alone live. Just what sets us so apart? Have I even grown ever since that day?

“Would not your face right now display the definition of fear? I would not interfere with whatever you plan to do with the students earlier but if you truly want to fight me, your best bet would be to call your dying parents isn’t that right, Inerva Vonne?”

‘I have finally come close to finding the answer, yet I am restricted by my powerless self. Truly, what could be more laughable than this state?’  In face of death itself, what difference does it make if I accept this imminent fear right now? I have already come this far if, I go back now then there would be no meaning; my life would cease to have meaning.

Forcefully awakening a will within me, a familiar line heeded my call.

“I may falter and struggle in hardships, but never would I stop in the midst of adversity. You can only fight while you still can or regret when all is said and done. O grant me the power Boreas!”

If one attack is not enough then do not stop. Use everything you’ve learn from the start up until the present. Fight, fight through the darkness, “Absolute Zero: Breath of Kuraokami!”

“Origin of Flames: Grasp of Dircon.”

The 100 Glacial Shards melted through the explosion of Breath of Kuraokami and Grasp of Dircon. A spherical outburst of liquefied burning gas thawed the frozen environment around the veil. More than half of the spells and traps I had set up lost its effect. Tunneling down the person who had the edge of the fight would be made clear suddenly.

I couldn’t carelessly move anymore rather I cannot maintain standing any further. “The Usage of 100 Glacial Shards and the highest rank series of ice spells, the Absolute Zero: Breath of Kuraokami. Where did you manage to learn of such technique?”

It took all what I had to carefully treat the third-degree burn I suffered from the outburst earlier. ‘My mana is depleting more than what I had expected. If only I was quicker and managed to shield myself from the explosion.’

“Well, no matter. Have you carefully assessed the situation now, Inerva? If you continue to pitifully continue this excuse of a fight, I will just counter your elements.” I know that better than you, damn monster.

“You’re awfully talkative now. Before I lose anything anymore, I would rather fight to the death than watch again.”

“Lifting Winds: Harmonia’s Melody” There’s no what if anymore. Completely healing my injuries, a swerve of melodious voice jammed around the veil “You don’t have to keep a straight face Sheila, I know you are limited to what power you can use. I am done thinking of what if’s I will only use my power and everything I must to bring you down!

“First Movement: Sprouting Blossoms and Ice Meteor.” Countless snowflakes in a form of petals coerces through the air.

“Calm Wind: Refracted.”

“Absolute Zero: Frenzied Rapier.” A striking frozen rapier manifested before me, as each slash brings the temperature down to absolute zero.

I thrusted forward controlling the petals around the surroundings it spirals accelerating at point-blank speed before firing off. I swiftly strike in an arc when bolts of thunder surge forth from Sheila’s hands prowling all my attacks.

“Thunderclap:  Zeus’s Touch.”

Every time I hit her with Frenzied Rapier the bolts of thunder coming from her hands nullifies the effects of frenzy the same with Sprouting Blossoms her revised Calm Wind: Refracted stops the vibrations and reverberance of each blossom from internally damaging her body. It was a stalemate. A test of endurance at the very least.

The ice meteor is still far from ready to be of use. I need to buy some time before I bury her alive with it.

After a series of clash between my frenzied rapier and her thunderclap Sheila successfully managed to evade all my strikes and riposte. ‘I need to accelerate my attack speed more so if I want to break her composure.’ With no regard of completely changing the environment I once again upped the momentum even further.

“Second Movement: Three Way Acceleration Vivace!” No moment to waste, no moment to think, lest blink!

Strike, evade, downward slash, countered, a series of sprouting blossoms and frenzied area effect, refracted and nullified. Crescent slash, dodged. “Second Movement: Three Way Acceleration Presto!” Be swift as the wind, be vast as the clouds, O grant me the power to exceed my limits!

Tempo Illusion Rapid Thrusts, Wrath of the Storm Flames: Collided Elements, "Five years ago, why were you at the edge of the continent where Sinaecus and Lor were?” I took a step back and imbued frenzied rapier with countless sprouting blossoms as the Ice Meteor is beginning to fall down. “Ren and the others where are they? Look at me Sheila--- no, Cecilia Merue!” She continued to remain unfazed and whispered, “Phoenix’s Ignition, Zeus’s Touch, and Tempest.” As soon as Cecilia’s combined attacks blew the Ice Meteor effortlessly, I amassed every magicule I could absorb then expend it all to finally bring down the True Ice Meteor sitting atop the sky. War cries were the only thing reverberating towards the destruction this final collision of attacks that would soon cause havoc throughout the world. I lost control at the end and depleted my mana pool causing the True Ice Meteor to expand even further destroying the veil in the process as it gracefully descends above where I am currently.

‘Aaahhh, in the end I couldn’t finish her off even with everything I’ve got, I’m sorry Ren, Lily, Mein, and Soura I could not avenge you guys...’

.

.

.

.

Under the covered snow as everything melted, there you were penetrated by the sword resting atop your bodies. As I run ahead to confirm the inevitable truth, I would soon learn that everything that brings joy is taken by this forsaken world. Surely, if there would be another chance in the near future I do not want to hesitate anymore, yet who can stop the calamity these beings would bring towards the generation of this time?

I could only accept that I cannot do anything as of now, however, I still have the mission to see through this fight. I must if not...

“Jeez, ever since you were a kid you always carried the burden alone, Inerva.”

“Do not worry anymore we are here to help you!”

“Come on, we should all huddle for the last time before we completely change the world!”

“Let’s go, Inerva as long as we are together, we are unstoppable right?”

Distinct faces, memories, and his pitiful fake smile how could I ever forget...?

I thought that if I could bring down one of the members of Six Calamities from that day, I would finally accept your deaths... If getting revenge could not ease this blankness in my heart, then what could stop my conscience from blaming myself upon that day?

Out of everything I could protect why could I not have done so that very day?

My eyes shifted at the covered sky filled with one True Ice Meteor as it ever so slightly falls upon me. Finally accepting it my eyes soon closed itself.

“No!”

‘....!’

“It’s time to face the truth, Inerva.”

‘Why does the truth hurt more than filled up lies?’

“Come on now, don’t get too gloomy. Make us proud, Inerva...”

Close the eyes.

‘...’

Faintly...

‘...aaa’

Rise...

‘..aaaaaaaa’

Clear the mind.

‘aaaaaaa....!’

Breathe.

“aaaaargghhh...!”

Open the eyes from the mist of the past.

“uuuwaarghhhh...!”

“Then so be it! These scrawny tiny hands of mine will be the victorious one in the end! Aaarrrghhhhh...!”

Once again, let every magicule I could muster and pour out as it envelops my vision to redirect the path of Ice Meteor.

“This is the end, Cecilia Merue!” Without noticing I absorbed the life force of the environment around me causing the True Ice Meteor to accelerate towards Cecilia Merue who is still unfazed when momentarily a new source of mana quickly surrounded her presence as if she would finally acknowledge this final attack of mine.

An aura of death seeps through the now withered grass plains coming from Cecilia Merue’s pressure. “Fuhaha! I will remember this moment, as I acknowledge your power. Inerva Vonne! The Amalgamation of Century Witch and Unkillable Emperor. Rejoice, for you will witness the true power of one of the Six Calamities!”

Overflowed with emotions, I discharged everything I had to vanquish the terror of the past, present, and future. When in an instant I could faintly see Ren and the others before I lost consciousness.

‘Wait for me, guys...’

0