Chapter 3 Part 3 (Updated)
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Umm....” There was little voice coming out from Kan at the thought of being alone with Secretary Inerva nervously pressured him.

“Don’t worry, I have plenty of time. If you find it hard to ask me your questions how about I question you first, then we’ll work our way there?” A sudden nod from the 1st year student.

“Then, what do you think of your situation right now?” Fiddling with his hand Kan tried to voice out his answer.

“I think there is very little to no chance of me winning let alone taking the first win of the round.” A forced hard-pressing truth seems to cloud Kan’s mind. “However, seeing both Mika and Shinra do their best for their ambitions and goals. I feel that I should also do the same. After all, this chance is not given just to anyone.” An expression of regret and feel of discontent is seen from the 1st year.

“There is nothing shameful in acknowledging one’s powerlessness, Kan. On the other hand, to be controlled by it is another thing. I don’t want to tell you what you should do as I’m sure you’ve thought about this hard and thorough.”

“Do you think there is a chance for someone like me to fight alongside Mika and Shinra?”

“How do you find yourself compared to them?”

“I hate that I think all of the things that have happened might have just been a coincidence and after a while we’d go on our separate ways. I want to be confident so that I can hold a candle to them.”

“If you’re saying you have a chance to fight alongside them, then you’re already doing it beside them aren’t you? Now I know, you meant fight as fighting together to defeat someone or something. Still, it can be the same as fighting your fears, worries, insecurities. Is being with Mika and Shinra only amount to you being a good magician?” Inerva looked at the student in front of her once again for a moment. “Sorry, let me rephrase it. Do you need to be an excellent magician so badly that it is the only acceptable thing to be around Mika and Shinra?”

No one made any sound.

“I don’t think I can answer your question, Inerva-san.”

Silence hastily made way to take hold of these few seconds.

“Haaah, it’s fine Kan. I was also getting a little bit worked up there.”

“Although I don’t have a definite answer to your question Inerva-san I feel that I need to say what I think about it.” Inerva lightly nodded. “I think that being an excellent magician might mean more to me to fully accept myself. On the other hand, I want to be friends with Mika and Shinra even if I am not an excellent magician.”

“Mmm, that’s a good answer. I don’t know how you truly feel Kan but to tell you the truth one of the reasons I took an interest to your group, and in you particular was because I fought alongside your parents back then.”

“Ehh?”

“Yeah, it was many years ago. I was a few years younger than you now. If you want, I could tell you a little bit of it.”

“Ahh, no it was just surprising to hear about it.” Kan was quite quick to change the topic.

“Oh right, you said something about tactics. I have some few books here you could definitely use.” Inerva stood up and looked around the bookshelf

“So that was the reason, huh?” Kan quietly utter.

“Hmm, what was that? Here you go.” It was a few books, some scrolls, and a ring.

“Oh, it’s nothing. What are these items?” Kan looked at the items placed in the table.

“This one is for storing mana.” A normal ring with a small orb in it.

“That scroll contains some advanced spells.” It had a strange air around it.

“These books are proper use of mana manipulation, information about what spell counters what, and records of battles of famous people.”

“Umm, thanks Inerva-san for these things, but is it okay to give it to me?”

“Yeah, these are all basic items for a magician. However, even if this ring can store a medium amount of mana, it all comes down to how efficiently you use it.”

“Here, use this bag, I used this before I decided to work here in Tempest for the time-being.” Although there were signs of it being damaged it is still in good shape, Kan then placed the items in the bag.

“For the time-being? You’ll not be around Tempest for too long, Inerva-san?”

“Yeah, I think after the foundation festival I’ll be taking my leave.”

“That’s so sudden.”

“It’ll be next year so there are plenty of times we can talk if you want.” Inerva once again stood up cleaning the table, Kan then helped a bit.

.

.

“Thank you for the time today, Inerva-san.”

“Thank you as well, this might be the first time I’ve talked properly to a student.”

“I’ll make sure to put these items you’ve given me to good use.” Kan cheerfully smiled a little.

“Good, I’ll be looking forward to your performance in the first trial then.” Inerva lightly patted Kan’s head.

“Oh, and one more thing, be careful on your way back.”

The 1st year nodded and walked outside of the room as he heads to their temporary dorm.

.

.

.

Making his way back to the main building, Kan noticed Frea and remembered about what happened earlier.

“So, you did end up coming. I thought you wouldn’t come.” Frea looked at Kan weirdly trailing back her commnent.

“Well...” Seeing the 1st year not too happy about it. “Oh, did I stop you from doing something?” It was then apparent that it was just a coincidence for them to have met.

“Ahh no, I was just going to put this back to my room.”

“Is that so? Well, you can do that later. Now that you’re here I need you to come with me.”  Unable to decline Frea, Kan once again made a detour before going back to their room.

“How is Mika and Shinra doing?” She slowed down her pace and walked beside Kan.

It appears they were headed to an open-ground stadium not far from their temporary dorm.

“They are both fine but still recovering. Shinra needs to rest and restore his mana and Mika is taking it slow because of her injuries during the fight with Vanque.” Kan tried to hide his frustration which Frea quickly picked up.

“How about you? Are you doing fine, Kan?” To which Kan replied in confusion, “Huh, me?”

“It occurs to me that you feel that you could’ve done better and protect them.”

“Geez, what’s up with everyone asking these questions...?” Kan throwed his hands in an act of annoyance and properly looked at Frea as the 1st year stopped walking. “Yeah, it frustrates me that I could’ve done so much better, and I want to protect them.”

“Are you perhaps angry?” Frea’s tone suddenly lowered still not showing signs of fear or worry.

“Ahh, no. I’m not angry. It just feels weird for people to suddenly care about me which might seem arrogant to someone that does not know me fully well but---”

“It is not arrogant to think that Kan. I do care about the three of you, as well as Mari, Reina, and Mariko-sensei.”

“T-thanks, Frea.”

“Let’s pick up our pace, Mariko-sensei does not like to wait.”           

Kan nodded and slightly walk faster to catch up to Frea who was quick footed until they had made way to the open grounds.

Seeing three figures which later turn out to be the Dawness representatives and professor Mariko-sensei both Kan and Frea walked up to them.

“Hi, Kan! It’s good to see you again. How are you doing?” Marigold was the first one to greet them as per usual holding a joyful atmosphere.

“I’m doing fine, thanks.”

“Sorry for calling you out here in such short notice.” Mariko-sensei bluntly told Kan.

“I had a feeling I don’t have any choice to refuse so...” Kan still hold the memory of Mariko-sensei wearing a Dawness uniform in mind earlier.

“Ahem anyways, I called you out here to talk about what will happen in the coming First Trial for you first years.” The Dawness Professor had trouble keeping a composed face recalling the awkward encounter earlier until it faded a few seconds. “From what I’ve heard it will be a battle royale consisting of four teams. After that comes a double-elimination tournament where 16 students battle out for the 5 seats. I don’t know all the details but from what I’ve seen from the past tournament here in Tempest it seems to be the case that it would be the format for the First Trial.” She added harboring her conclusions as it wasn’t a far-fetched idea. There’s also the factor of her being a teacher so there isn’t any reason for her words to not hold value, is what Kan Uolo would normally focus on.

“Haah…why are you saying all of this? Shouldn’t you be more concerned with your students? What’s the use in helping me?” Without paying heed to Mariko-sensei he bluntly reasoned out.

“Hey!” Frea was the first one to raise her voice.

“It’s fine, Frea.” The Dawness Professor looked at Frea.

“Kan Uolo. Tell me what reason do people need to help others?” Reina Dawness walked forward.

“What reason?” The Tempest student questioned posing a confused reaction.

“A reason can come from anything, be it a whim, desire, or whatever it may be. Our only reason to help you in this coming First Trial is a way of showing gratitude for the incident a few days. Don’t be too conceited to think we are helping you because we want you to win. Lastly, I don’t mind you feeling unworthy of yourself and such. However, it becomes too annoying for a while. To the point you’re just asking for sympathy, is that what you want?”

“I think that’s enough, Reina.” Marigold walked closer expressing discomfort at the situation.

“Kan, raise your head.” She then tried to extend her arm to Kan.

“Don’t act like you know me.” Both Reina and Frea for a moment shot glares at Kan as he stepped back.

“Then tell me more about yourself.” Mari spoke in a low voice.

“Not like that would change anything.”

“That seems fair to think about it that way. Although, Kan have you once looked me in the eye and tell me those words?” He could only remain silent when after a few seconds he raised his head dreading for a catastrophe.

“Well? Can you tell me about yourself, Kan Uolo?”

“Are you really sure about it?” Not one ounce of worry, Mari directed her gaze at Kan with a brimming smile as always, although there were subtle signs of pity.

“I was a very enthusiastic kid about magic. Before the age of four when most children showed signs of being able to use magic, I thought I’d get to be like my parents.” Kan continued with a heavy heart. “Except I didn’t get to experience any of that despite having great expectations for me. The world I had hoped crumbled neglecting a child’s dream.” There wasn’t any more that Kan could tell as the remnants of past begun to take hold of him.

The tempest student then slowly walked away from Mari.

“Still, in that grim and shattered world. You’ve always hold on, right, Kan?” Mari once again stepped a little closer as if breaking an invisible wall. “No matter how unsure and blurry the road you’ve put your hopes into. You never wanted to let go of being a magician. I’m sure about it, I mean right now, you’re standing before me as a student of the most well-known and first Royal Magic School, Tempest.” Within the voice of Mari comes a part of what she had believed each and every one has, that is hope.

“I appreciate it, Mari.” Kan only hoped for the conversation to end there.

“Mmm...!” There wasn’t anything left to press on.

.

.

0