Chapter 4 Part 3 (Updated)
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What each and every one should strive for in Tempest

 

 

The interior of the office they were in was spacious, yet it had a feeling of solitude and loneliness. It was a bit hard to ask Milan about the other members of the squad when everywhere they look is quite apparent that there was only a single member.

“Have a seat here, I’ll go and make something to drink.” There was little furnishings and equipment the main office of the building has. Still, it was very clear that the office was neatly cleaned.

“I’m quite nervous now...” Kan muttered fiddling with his hands unable to relax.

“If she is the one that Inerva-san asked to train us then she must be strong.” Shinra responded without much to look at, the 1st years fell into silent waiting for Milan.

“Sorry, for waiting guys.” Milan placed down cups and sat at the opposite couch. “Drink while it’s still hot.” Kan took the offer and to his surprise it was quite good. “It is a special brew that I make, I hope it is to your liking.” After taking a sip Milan lay down her cup and took a deep breath.

“Now, Inerva-san asked me to train you guys in the upcoming First Trial. There wasn’t any further instructions to what kind of training I should give you or anything in particular. Taking you guys to my office and having you a part of my squad seems unnatural to some of you.”

“I’ve come up with a plan that if I am to train you guys and see satisfying results, I need to monitor you most of the time, and what better option there is but to have you join me in my squad. You can now tell me what your thoughts about my proposal are.” Milan had a very reserved tone ever since coming inside her office.

“Well, to be honest, I am not against the idea of having us be members of your squad so that you can train us better. I just kind of hate it when someone decides everything when I’m involved, and my opinions is not even asked.” Shinra politely explained expressing to clear any misunderstanding.

“I see, I’ll keep that in mind.”

“I don’t mind joining your squad if all of us do, but what did you mean by that we are just barely holding on?” Mika felt the need to ask this particular question.

“About that, I doubt that you will understand but your condition right now is really bad. It may seem as if the three of you have recovered a substantial stamina in your last fight to which I won’t pry any further. However, the reason you’re all still able to walk, talk, and be conscious in the present is your willpower. Besides that, you need to take a good rest at least a week before I can train you guys.”

“That’s...the First Trial is two weeks from now...!” Mika jolted revealing her tightly clenched fists.

“I know Mika, if I train you guys right now your chances of winning the First Trial let alone getting out of the first round will drop significantly. If you are still not satisfied with my answer, then follow me.” Milan walked out of the room and opened another door which leads to one more spacious area.

“This is the training area. You can go all-out in here. Now, the three of you cast a simple wind magic.”

The 1st years lined horizontally distancing each other in arm’s length. “Aren’t you underestimating us too much?” Mika extended her arm and tried pouring out mana manifesting a small gust of wind. “Ehh...?” No matter how hard she tries to visualize nor control her mana nothing seems to happen.

“This...” Shinra could not believe that he cannot cast a basic wind spell. “Aaarghh...” Just extending his arm to expend mana took a huge toll against Kan’s body.

“What’s the meaning of this?” They could not understand what was happening. Especially for Mika whose intent on training clicking her tongue in return.

“It might seem like you’re perfectly fine but in reality, as I’ve said, it is only your willpower that keeps you from being unconscious. I don’t know why or how but you’ve greatly damaged your mana pool and póntous as well. You’re far too reckless... In your situation I should make you resign from participating the First Trial but seeing your reaction today, it appears that won’t be possible. Thus, you need to rest and recover as much as you can for a week.”

To Kan who recently learned the importance of póntous and mana pool it was easier for him to accept the situation. “Guys, what Milan said is true we cannot afford to risk our chances of getting a place in the First Trial let alone participating.” Even though it was clear that they cannot do anything it was an even greater burden for Kan who can only rely on hard work.

“Damn it...” Face with the cold hard truth dismay and regret are the only things that Mika could convey.

“O cease this suffering and let us seek comfort in your grace, relieve us from this pain and grant us the power to stand in this forsaken world, Blessed Healing!”

“What is this feeling...?” Kan Uolo felt more power than usual and was able to stand up once again.

“I’ve casted a temporary healing spell to you guys. I’ll be doing this every day until the First Trial; you will also drink herbal teas and take plenty of rest if you want to be in your best condition before the event.”

“D-do we really need to drink herbal tea?” Mika was strongly against drinking one of those tea.

“I’ve eliminated the strong flavor of it so it will just be bland, don’t worry.” She then calmed down after hearing about it.

“Thank you, Milan-san.”

“Oh, you’re awfully accepting of my decision Shinra-kun? I thought you hated it?” Milan lightly teased Shinra.

“I do hate it, but I don’t mind it that much this time. I’ll be doing my best so that your efforts will not be wasted.” Shinra finally accepted the help of other people and resolved himself to meet the expectations of Milan.

“Hey, we’re also doing our best!” Mika quickly retorted. The 1st years had a good laugh once in a while.

“Haha, you’ve done good today. You should go back to your rooms and get some rest. The office will be open at 9:00 am, I’ll add some furnishings in here so that you feel more comfortable. Oh, you can also put stuff in here.”

“We’ll be in your care for a while, Milan-san. We hope for a good relationship going forward!” The 1st years politely bowed in respect.

“Come on, enough with that. I also look forward to our time together.”

Kan and the rest helped clean before taking their leave. It was already 5:30 pm after they had gone back to their rooms.

.

.

.

 

Going back to the main building, Milan walked inside the office of Inerva.

“Oh, good work Milan.” The countless piles of paper works seemed to decrease a little bit.

“It’s nothing much Inerva-san, wait I’ll brew you some of my special tea.”

“Did you manage to have a good impression towards them?”

“I wonder. I’m not really the type to leave a good impression anyway. Besides did you know their condition, it’s too reckless for them to be walking around the campus.” Placing down the cups at Inerva’s table Milan was a bit grumpy.

“Well, I'm sure you’ve already seen how they can be so stubborn. Still, even if they are reckless their resolve and will appears to be the real deal.” That much was evident for everyone to discern.

“I had to show them how bad their state was before they even started listening, seriously.” Milan was highly opposed to having the 1st years participate in the coming First Trial.

“So, do you think you’ll be able to help them?” Relinquishing the taste from Milan’s tea Inerva stuffed herself with pudding.

“I can already see that they are strong enough, but it is still up to them. We’ll see in the next two weeks if they have any idea of what strength is all about.” Finishing her tea, Milan looked to leave the room.

“You said you wanted a task so do your best Milan. At the very least I do believe in the strength of the one that carried Tempest towards the semi-finals of last year’s foundation festival.”

“Hmmph, if such strength of one person is enough then, I would have just wanted to remain living a peaceful school life.” Closing the door from her way out, Milan refuses to sacrifice everything for the sake of strength.

“Milan Sova, last year’s unmatched superstar. I also hope that you find what you are looking for by being with Kan, Mika, and Shinra.” Inerva placed another stack of files atop her table as she aims to finish all the workload before the First Trial.

“Strength, huh...?” Left by those words, Inerva deeply thought of it before going back to work.

Afterwards the day soon fell into darkness and almost everyone is trying their hardest towards their own goals each and every day.

For a while, Kan, Mika, and Shinra had a good rest ever since they had come in Tempest.

 

-----------------------------

 

Following the day after, it was already morning.

“Excuse us...” To their surprise, the front door was open when it was 9:00 am.

“Is Milan-senpai in the main room perhaps?” The building they were in consist quite a lot of rooms. A lounge area, training room, unused room, kitchen, restroom, and a main office room. It was too big and was the only building in the area. It did not have a second floor, but the training room was in the basement.  They had some suspicions that their senpai Milan is someone who holds a high rank in Tempest.

Comparing the place yesterday and today it was completely different.

“Oh, you’re here already. Come in, I’ll be there shortly.” The 1st years took a glance at the lounge area that had stacks of shelves, a clean rug, foamy couch, a great ambience, and other stuff.

“I’ve done good decorating it right?” Milan looked very proud equipped with her apron.

“Yeah, but since when did you start decorating the place? You could’ve asked us for help.” Shinra raised his opinions quickly.

“Now, now...I’ve been meaning to put some stuff in here, so I thought this is a good chance. Anyways, I have other things for you guys to do.”

“Guehh, do we really have to, first thing in the morning?” Mika was not prepared for this so early in the day.

“Of course, you have to! Drink it all before I tell you what you’re going to do.”

Kan and Shinra drank the herbal tea with no problems while Mika tried to drink it slowly until Milan told her to hurry it up.

“Okay first of all, I’ve already gotten information to how you fight from Inerva-san earlier. Shinra, you specialize in lightning, while Mika has her own original magic, and Kan you are not particularly against elemental magic and close-quarter combat, right?”

The 1st years bowed in unison.

“Shinra you will hone your skills in lightning by controlling your emotions. Out of all the elements, lightning possesses deadly power that poses more threat than great power if the user is unable to control it confidently, if even one precise strike hit someone it could kill them. As such, to achieve this you’ll be working with the cleaning faculty members!” There was that familiar etched scene through the back of the 1st year minds that would serve as a good example for this.

“Wha...?”

“Yo, yo...! Where is the little student that will do our work?” Someone dressed in a janitor outfit entered the office with great spirits.

“Is this the one, this is him, right? Hmm, he looks a bit reckless, don’t you say?” A rather talkative person has joined the fray.

“Why don’t you introduce yourself, little student?” Laying his hands at Shinra’s head he continued.

“I’m not little...! It’s Shinra Mavirus.” The 1st year threw the man’s hand away immediately.

“Oh, little Shi huh? You sure know how to stand your ground, very well this one is not bad. I’ll take him, Milan-chan.” Shinra still could not accept the sudden news. “By the way, you can call me, boss or Cartel.”

“Wait...do I really have to do this?” Shinra asked Milan hoping for a way out.

“Yes, I do not really have to monitor you when I have someone that can do it, right? You’ll be joining them for a week, and I need you to come here and report every day, got it?”

“Tha-that’s...!” Mouth wide open, the hellish week would debut for Shinra at this moment.

“Bye, Shinra-kun... You two say goodbye to him.” Kan and Mika could only wave their hands as Shinra got taken away unable to fight back.

“Now, that’s one done. Next Kan, to be honest I’m not really sure what to teach you. You don’t excel in magic nor adept at fighting but there is one thing I think you are good at. That is, being able to fight to your strengths and cover up your weakness. I saw the three of you back in the Tempest incident. Despite not having the power to stand up against powerful individuals you still found a way to be useful.

“I can teach you magic or how to fight but I truly think whatever you choose will be the best for you. In this one week, decide on what kind of magician do you want to be. After all, that is what everyone should strive for here in Tempest.”

Having heard the same thing over and over again, it seems Kan could not escape this path.

“I understand.” A sudden change in his tone, his usual downcast gaze was once again present.

“You can use the facilities here, so don’t hold back.”

“I’ll take my time to think about it, excuse me.” Kan stood up and silently left the room.

 

“Lastly---”

“Milan-san.”

“Hmm...?”

“Why did you say that to Kan?” Mika clenched her teeth trying to hold her fangs.

“Say what in particular?” It was already obvious to Milan what she meant.

“That he does not excel in magic nor fighting.”

“Oh, I see. I’m sure he already realizes it and so do you and Shinra. That out of the three of you, Kan is the irregular and questionable one. Still, I know what you’re thinking but I don’t intend to just let it be.”

“What do you mean?” Unconsciously Mika let loose of her fist.

“Even if he is not fit to be a magician, his resolve is the real deal, and that I respect greatly. It’s all up to Kan to understand and realize what kind of magician does he want to be. He can learn all different kinds of magic and fighting styles, yet without one clear path he’ll just waste his time. You don’t need to help him or even have the thought of helping him. If he does not decide for himself, he’ll never be an excellent magician. You should also think about it, the kind of magician you want to be.” As hard as it may be, Mika still thought deeply in her heart that she can help Kan.

“Since you have your own kind of magic, you’ll be working to control your mana usage for this one week and afterwards you’ll fight against me before the First Trial. I have created a suited environment for you in one of the rooms at the back of the building..”

“You don’t need to say so, we will surpass your expectations and the three of us will get a place in the First Trial, I’m sure of it.” Mika Torri proudly remarked puffing her chest.

“Stop talking and just start training!” Mika nodded and left the main room.

“Now then, I wonder how far can they understand themselves in this two week? I should probably start working as well, this coming foundation festival will be interesting if they managed to get a spot in their first trial. I’ll believe in you guys.” Milan stopped talking to herself and after a while she finished decorating the office after lunch break.

.

.

.

0