Chapter 4
2.2k 4 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 4

I couldn’t believe that I was reincarnated into an actual game-like world. I mean seriously, a fantasy world was a big enough shock. But an actual world with levels and Status Screen like this? This is like a cliché from those novels where the protagonist was reincarnated to become a hero… I hope I don’t end up like that… Seriously, that role doesn’t suit me… And besides… I looked at my two front legs. Right, I’m pretty sure I’m a monster… Sigh... Now, what to do?

I once again gazed at the notification still displayed in front of me. Well, I guess the logical thing to do in this kind of situation is gathering as much information as possible. Knowledge is another form of weapon after all. After deciding my course of action, I focused my mind on one particular information displayed on my Status Screen. Based on the novels and that MMORPG game I played, this information should have more to it… And just like what I had thought, it expanded and showed a much more detailed information.

[Race: Dire Wolf Cub]

[A Rank D monster and the weakest race from the Wolf Species. This monster’s level ranges from 1 (which is the default level of any species from birth) And 10 which is the highest level for this race. After reaching level 10, the individual would be able to evolve into a full fledged Dire Wolf]

I see, since I’m currently at level 7, I will be able to evolve after 3 more level ups. So far that has lined up from what I discovered from that dream… I wonder what level is my father and that enemy alpha…? Ah! What am I thinking? That’s not what’s important right now… But Rank D monster huh? From what I can see, even my skills have ranks?

After realizing that I could not gather any more information from the Race Tab, I looked at the other tabs displayed on my vision. But then I quickly realized that aside from the skills tab, the other tabs were all pretty much empty.

The four other tabs with the exception of the Titles Tab were all self-explanatory. I’m quite curious with that Titles Tab but being that there’s nothing in it, looking at it now serves no purpose… Guess, I’ll look at my skills huh? This might become crucial for my survival, so I need to look and analyze each of them in depth.

After much deliberation, I focused and analyzed each of my skills. The details were as follows…

[Enhance Small Fangs (Rank A)] 

[Inherent Skill]

[Strengthen and sharpen the fangs by a little when biting an enemy, though the damage done by this attack is really weak which make this skill unreliable when dealing with tough objects]

Wow! What a skill! What the heck is even the point of having this! And it is even a so-called Inherent Skill!! Are you kidding me?! I bet this is the skill I unconsciously activated during that fight with the frog!! Wow!! This skill almost got me killed!! I complained internally. Sigh… Guess I’ll move on… I just hope that the others are not as trashy as this one…

[Call of The Moon (Rank D)]

[Passive]

[Species Exclusive Skill]

[Increase the overall stats during a full moon]

[Recovery (Rank B)]

[Passive]

[Inherent Skill]

[Speed up the recovery of stamina, mana and health through a rest. This effect does not include recovery from fatal injuries and certain status ailments]

[Detect Malice (Rank C)]

[Passive]

[Detect hostile intentions and presence from the immediate vicinity]

After reading all my skills’ effects, I fell into a deep thought. Aside from Night Vision, Enhance Smell and Enhance Hearing, which were all pretty self-explanatory, Call of The Moon, Recovery and Detect Malice are all useful skills. Although Call of The Moon could only be only activated during a full moon, depending on how I use it, it could become a trump card… Recovery and Detect Malice, on the other hand, were surely skills acquired and developed because this body was raised to hunt. If my guess is right, the skills ranking will rise the more it is used. The proof being that trashy skill was at rank A despite being seemingly useless. From that dream, I remembered that I used this skill quite often to kill some small and weak monsters and sometimes even to eat slightly tough meat. If I’m lucky, maybe the effect even improves as it rises on the rank… Though I have no idea what is the highest rank and what would happen once a skill had reached it.

After analyzing all the information provided by my Status Screen, I heard my stomach rumbling. Aaaahh… I haven’t noticed because I was preoccupied, but I’m really starving… I looked around lazily. Damn, there’s nothing to eat here… While I was thinking what to do, my Detect Malice warned me of a hostile presence. With a quick response, I stood up and looked around. When I peeked behind the boulder, I saw a familiar monster looking around as if searching for something.

So, you followed me all the way here huh? I thought as I glared at the familiar monster in front of my eyes.

Standing just a little distance away from the rock I was hiding was the frog I fought before. I honestly have no idea how I knew that the same frog in front of my eyes was the one I fought. I just… knew it… And well, the thought that I could recognize the difference between each individual frog monster disgust me. Well, that’s beside the point. The important thing right now is if… I can… eat it…

That’s right, the only question I have on my mind was if I can eat that disgusting looking creature. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn’t even think of eating it. But right now, with how hungry I am, it doesn’t even matter. After all, beggars couldn’t afford to be choosy. And of course, it was also necessary for my survival.

I really need to eat right now while I still have some strength to spare. Before long, I will lose all of it… If I even lose my ability to move, then I wouldn’t be able to hunt. If I’m unable to hunt, then I will starve to death. That’s why while I still can move, I need to find something to eat. And that thing is the nearest source of food right now. The only problem is… How do I kill it…?

Based on what happened when I fought that creature before, I couldn’t even hope to damage it using my trashy offensive skill. There was just one problem. I don’t have any other offensive skill besides that trashy one…

While I was trying to think of a way to kill the Giant Frog for my own nutrition, I heard a whipping sound slicing through the air. Flustered, I leaped away dodging the Giant’s Frog tongue by a hair’s breadth. As my feet landed on the ground, my eyes met with that of the Giant Frog’s. And with just one look at that creature’s eyes, I could tell. This bastard is dead set on eating me!!

Seeing the look on the creature’s eyes infuriated me. It was not just because the creature was trying to eat me, it was also because I could tell that it was looking down on me. That’s right. I almost forgot. The world was always and will always be controlled by those who are with power. How could I forget the fact that in face of a great power, ideals, morals, belief and justice were all insignificant? And unfortunately, looks like that truth is even truer in this world… Then, I glared at the Giant Frog. If that’s the case, then I will show you. I will show you that looking down on me was a mistake. I will make you regret the fact that you even think about it. I swore, letting out a growl in the process.

Probably seeing my reaction, the Giant Frog narrowed its eyes. After a moment of suffocating silence, the Giant Frog was the first to make a move.

With a speed faster than that of the last time we fought, the Giant Frog whipped its tongue towards me letting out a barrage of whip-like attacks. To dodge all of the Giant Frog’s attack, I cleared my mind from every unnecessary thought and focused every fiber of my being on the battle alone.

I leaped, ran and dodged every attack by just an inch. In my mind, there were only two existences in the world, myself and my enemy. Unfortunately, probably because I haven’t been able to eat for quite some time now, my body started to feel heavy just a few minutes after the battle began. I wouldn’t be able to last for long at this rate… I need to find a surefire way to kill this thing immediately. While dodging and running around, I noticed a huge boulder at the corner of my eyes. Seeing that, an idea flashed through my mind. Fueled by these sudden flashes of inspiration, I immediately leaped into action.

While desperately avoiding being hit by the Giant’s Frog tongue, I slowly moved towards then away from the huge boulder. The Giant Frog sensing the desperation in my movements, increased the intensity of its attacks. As a result, I was slowly pushed back towards the huge boulder until I was cornered. With the boulder on my back and nowhere to escape, the giant frog let out a joyful screech. Then with saliva dripping from its mouth, the frog whipped its tongue towards me. 

Time seemed to slow as the Giant Frog’s tongue sliced into the air with a terrifying speed. As the tongue covered by disgusting saliva neared my face, I ducked. With its target gone from its path, the tongue hit the giant boulder with such a force that the saliva covering it splattered all over the place. Because of the pain from hitting the huge hard boulder with its tongue, the Giant Frog was momentarily stunned while letting out a painful groan.

Taking advantage of that moment, I leapt and bit the Giant Frog’s tongue. And then, I felt a soft and satisfying sensation in my fangs as it pierced the softened flesh of the Giant’s Frog tongue. But probably because its tongue was still numb, the Giant Frog didn’t even flinch at my attack. Then when the Giant Frog recovered from being stunned, it hastily wrapped its tongue around my body. While being wrapped by the powerful grip of the Giant Frog’s tongue, I was pulled towards its mouth and was swallowed as a whole.

***

Inside the dark and slimy stomach of the Giant Frog, I sneered.

You thought you won, didn’t you? I asked with a sarcastic tone in my mind. Too bad cause you have just made a mistake. Now, you looked down on me, didn’t you? That was probably the reason why you swallowed me whole even though I’m still alive. Ah… Such a bad decision. You know, you should have killed me first before swallowing me.

Then, I opened my mouth to its utmost limit. In that dark place without any light, the little fangs on my mouth shined as it rapidly closed in on the mass of flesh surrounding my body. When my mouth shut close, the soft sensation of the flesh entered my mouth. I slowly savored the soft sensation until finally, I tore it apart. Like a madman, or in this case, a MAD WOLF, I BIT AND BIT AND BIT AND BIT AND BIT AND BIT. I TORE AND TORE AND TORE AND TORE AND TORE AND TORE AND TORE.

I told you I would make you regret looking down on me, right? Now, how does it feel to be eaten from the inside of your own stomach? OH! HOW IRONIC IS THAT?!

I rampaged to my heart’s content. Because of that, blood flowed everywhere dyeing my ash colored fur in crimson. But I simply didn’t care. Why? Because I was joyfully savoring my first meal ever since coming into this world. Or maybe it would be more accurate to say since I awakened the memories of my past life? Nah, it doesn’t matter…

 

48