Chapter 23
1.4k 1 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 23

In front of me, a Banobo was removing the bounds of a monster that looked like an armadillo. Upon using Assess on it, I discovered that it was a monster that was called a [Glydon]. From the looks of it, this [Glydon] was the opponent I would be fighting for this match.

So, it’s true. I am the only wolf type monster here. I thought while waiting for the Banobo to completely remove my bounds.

Honestly, I still couldn’t believe that these ape type monsters had this kind of culture. Yes, it might still be primitive and barbaric, but it was still a clear culture, nonetheless. Looking at these monsters, I couldn’t help but be reminded of prehistoric humans. And if my memory was right, there was a knowledge in my old world that apes were a close relative of humans. So, I guess it kind of made sense that these monsters have this level of intelligence? Well, I also noticed that monsters that live in packs tend to have some kind of culture and it was also mostly accompanied by some sort of high-level intelligence. Besides, I also saw that same trait from those monster bees, so maybe, it has something to do with creatures who were socially dependent just like humans.

I really need to meet this monsters’ leader to determine whether it is a reincarnation or not.

As of now, it was clear that these ape monsters’ leader wasn’t anywhere near this place, because if that monster was here, it would be impossible to not notice its presence. After all, given how strong those Banobos were, it would be impossible to make them obey if the leader was a mediocre monster. Though to be honest, I was kind of hoping that these ape monsters’ leader wasn’t as powerful as that Cerberus and Swamp Drake because I still wasn’t prepared to fight a monster as powerful as that.

Well, I might end up meeting their leader if I survive long enough. So, let’s stop worrying about that for now.

A few moments later, the Banobos were finally ready to release us. Then as the two Banobos were getting ready to remove our final bind, the spectating apes once again erupted in cheers.

Finally, the last bind was released, and the two Banobos leaped out of the ring which heralded the beginning of the match.

Just like before, the guards at the edge of the ring prepared themselves to stop us from destroying the ring to escape. Of course, I didn’t intend to do that in the first place since I already know that doing so would simply be pointless and a waste of energy. But as surprising as it was, it seemed like the Glydon also understood that fact. Because instead of charging towards the edge of the ring, the Glydon was simply looking at me cautiously while clearly preparing itself for the fight.

Interesting. I thought feeling impressed.

Seeing our behavior, the Banobos that were guarding the ring were clearly bewildered. Well, I guess their reaction was quite normal considering the fact that every match before this always began with them fending off the monsters inside the ring.

Good for you guys. I commented internally.

While I was thinking things like that, the Glydon suddenly retreated on its shell turning itself into a ball. A split second after that, bullet size spikes jutted out from its formerly smooth surfaced shell. Then, that ball of spikes spun around with such a speed as if it was being powered by a motor.

A screeching sound reverberated as the ball of spikes rolled towards me. Probably because of those spikes and the speed of its rotation, the Glydon was flinging away clumps of dirt on its back.

I hastily activated Haste and dodge the ball of spikes by a hair’s breadth. But as if I was somehow marked by the ball of spikes; it instantly made a sharp turn following me from behind. Honestly, the ball of spikes was fast. It was actually to the point that even with haste, the ball of spikes still managed to keep up with me. Fortunately, the ball of spikes’ speed was only the same as mine so it still wasn’t able to catch up.

I also tried making a sharp turn while also running around the ring. At this stage, the battle had already become a high-speed game of tag. But no matter how much I turned and ran around, the ball of spikes still managed to somehow chase after me. It was as if the ball of spikes was like a missile embedded with a homing device.

I’m pretty sure that the Glydon isn’t able to see while in that form. If that is so, then that means that it was using a skill to track me down. Probably, it was Hunt or a skill similar to that… I concluded.

Currently, the only skill in my possession that could probably counter that was Conceal Presence. Unfortunately, I needed to stop moving in order to activate that skill. And in this situation, the ball of spikes would surely hit me if I tried to stop.

Tsk! What to do?

It was then that the ball of spikes suddenly launched into the air.

Wha—

Surprised, I momentarily stopped. But then, my survival instinct warned me from an incoming danger. Following that, I immediately leaped away from my position. Right after that, the spikes that were jutting out from the Glydon’s shell shot out like a bullet.

Multiple bullet-like spikes grazed past my fur. Unfortunately, even though I leaped away with the aid of Haste, a single spike pierced my side. As a result, I reeled in from pain and unconsciously let out a whimper.

Damn it!!

Fortunately, the spike bullet didn’t pierce deep enough to leave any fatal wound. Probably, the spike bullet wasn’t capable of piercing the muscles of a Great Wolf. Though, if I was still a Dire Wolf, even a single hit from those spike bullets would surely be fatal. Of course, that didn’t mean that I could just tank those attacks. Surely, even for this body, being hit by multiple shots would eventually kill me.

Man, I’m really glad I didn’t encounter a monster like this before I evolve.

While trying to catch my breath, I carefully eyed the Glydon that has now returned to its original form. Looking at it, it seemed like the Glydon was also exhausted after that high-speed game of tag. Because of that fact, I could easily make a guess that the Glydon’s ability to turn into a ball and rotate at that speed was also a skill similar to Haste. More likely than not, that skill was also continuously consuming the user’s stamina as long as it was active.

Probably finally recovering from fatigue, the Glydon once again turned into a ball and charged towards me. But unlike before, there were no spikes jutting out from the Glydon’s shell. And maybe as a result of that, the Glydon’s speed increased.

As I was dodging the Glydon’s attack, I was also carefully analyzing the Glydon’s ability. So, are the spikes on cooldown or maybe this thing just sacrificed its overall damage output in exchange for gaining more speed.

Well, no matter the reason, I still couldn’t carelessly attack the Glydon with my fangs. After all, its high-speed rotation would probably mess up with my jaw. Of course, it was also impossible to damage it using my claws given how hard the Glydon’s shell was. But I had a plan…

In the middle of the high-speed pursuit, I forced my body to instantly stop my momentum and face the incoming ball. And right just when the ball was about to hit me in the face, I used my right paw to hit it on the side like a spiker on the game called volleyball.

For a moment, sparks flew as my claws made contact with the spinning ball. As a result, the ball’s trajectory shifted slightly to the left and the ball just grazed past me. Of course, my right paw was burned and injured because of the friction from hitting a high-speed rotating ball. But I would say that it was worth it, after all, the Glydon flew into the direction where I wanted it to be.

Probably realizing what was about to happen, the Glydon tried to stop its momentum by changing the direction of its rotation. Unfortunately, it was already too late because the Glydon was already within the swigging range of the Banobo.

My plan was actually quite simple, it was to lure the Glydon into attacking the fence of the ring. That way, the Banobos would be forced to stop the rotating Glydon and hit it like a batter from the sport called baseball. And though it was a really underhanded plan, I didn’t mind since it was actually a success.

Before the Glydon managed to hit the fence of the ring, a Banobo immediately took action and hit the flying Glydon using the huge lumber it was carrying. As a result, the Glydon returned back to its normal form and instantly flew back to the center of the ring.

Thanks for the assist mister Banobo!! I exclaimed internally.

Even while thanking the Banobo, I still didn’t waste that chance and charge at the Glydon that was still trying to stand up at the center of the ring. Upon reaching it, I immediately bit the Glydon’s body so hard that my fangs effortlessly pierced its shell.

The Glydon body spasmed uncontrollably probably because of immense pain. But as I was about to finish it off, I felt something wrong going on with the Glydon’s shell so I hastily let go of it. A split second after that, spikes once again jutted out from its shell. Only this time, the spikes continued on to fly in every direction.

Clearly, it was an attack aimed to finish me off right away. After all, I was at point black range so it was pretty much impossible to dodge the spike bullets. Unfortunately, the Glydon made a fatal mistake of showing me that move a little too early.

Time seemed to slow down. And just like what I did before against the Hackclaw, I used my claws to fend off every single spike bullet that flew towards me.

Shock filled the Glydon’s eyes after witnessing my high-speed defensive maneuver. Right after that, the Glydon hastily transformed itself into its ball form and tried to roll away. But before it even managed to, I bit the Glydon hard to not let it get away.

At first, I was worried that the Glydon might release another barrage of spike bullets. Fortunately, it seemed like the spike bullet was still on cool down. And so, I steadily increased the grip on my mouth until I felt something break inside the shell. Immediately after that, a notification popped up…

[Level up]

 

35