Chapter 33
1.1k 3 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 33

To be clear, my shock wasn’t simply due to the obviously powerful monster that was leading that group. Because even though the monster was certainly powerful, I had already expected such a thing so I didn’t find it that shocking. Furthermore, rude as it was, I could tell that the monster wasn’t on the same level as the Cerberus and Swamp Drake. And though I was still curious as to whether the monster was a reincarnation just like me, that curiosity was simply overwhelmed by the sheer shock I received upon seeing the composition of the group that the monster was leading.

For one, every single member of the group that the monster was leading was a Banobo. Additionally, every single Banobo from that group was also equipped with a wooden weapon that either resembled a battle staff or shaped like a mace. But the most shocking thing was the fact that each of those Banobos were actually riding a canine monster as if they were a cavalry. Of course, those canine monsters that the Banobos were riding weren’t a push over either. I know that for a fact because I already fought one of those before. In fact, it would not even be a stretch to say that I only got captured because of that monster. And yes, the monster in question was without a doubt the Hellhounds.

What the heck?!

Probably to prevent the Hellhounds from escaping or turning their fangs against their riders, a vine was coiled around in each of the monsters’ mouths. And not only did the vines serve as a way to subdue the monsters, it also functioned as a way for the riders to control the movements of the monsters. Though honestly, I certainly wouldn’t call such an idea a clever one. In fact, I personally thought that such an act was crazy. Why, you asked? Well, it was because taming those mad monsters was just impossible, and naturally, riding such a thing into battle was incredibly dangerous and the height of folly.

I stared at the de facto cavalier apes with narrowed eyes. But contrary to my expectations, it seemed like the cavalier apes had the mad monster under their control. And though it was clear that it wasn’t perfect because the mad monsters were still showing some slight resistance, the cavalier apes were still somehow able to maneuver the mad monsters as if they were handling some normal horse.

That’s just ridiculous! How in the heck are they doing that! I internally exclaimed.

It was then that it hit me. Wait, it is possible that they are using a skill! That’s right, in this world, there were those convenient things called skills. And if there was something in this world that could make it possible for the Banobos to ride those mad and untamable monsters, then that could only be the answer. The only hurdle I could see with that, was the fact that in order to acquire a skill, an individual needed to keep training and repeating a task related to the skill over and over again until the skill manifested itself. Of course, it wasn’t easy either. After all, doing so would take some time and effort. Besides that, I also had an inkling that it might also be dependent on compatibility so there wasn’t really any guarantee that the sought skill would actually manifest. Given that fact, it could only mean that the ape type monsters had trained and was also compatible with the skill and that was why it manifested for them.

Seriously. A distant cousin of humans indeed. I thought as I recalled a certain theory I heard in my past life as a human.

Suddenly, my thoughts were interrupted when a Banobo lifted me up and brought me directly in front of their leader. And along with the Savaga and the Hackclaw, the Banobos lined us up in a way as if they were offering a gift. Then after making sure that we wouldn’t be able to break free from our bounds, the Banobos retreated back to their group while carefully keeping their heads down.

Seeing the Banobo’s action, it all became clear that I was right in thinking that the monster up ahead was the ape type monsters’ supreme leader. And in order to ascertain whether the monster was truly a reincarnation or not, I gazed up ahead to get a better view of the monster.

Undoubtedly, the monster standing tall and proud in front of me was the supreme leader of the ape type monsters. And as if acting as the guard for the monster, the Tronobo and Pronobo were positioned on the monster’s left and right side. Honestly, it looked quite poetic in my eyes because the way I saw it, the Tronobo was acting as the shield, while the Pronobo was acting as the spear. But after reminding myself that it was not the time to think of such things, I forcefully peeled my eyes away from that poetic scene and immediately used Assess on the supreme leader of the apes.

[Name: (Unnamed)]

[Race: Gigarillon]

[Status: Healthy]

True to its name, the Gigarillon was a large category monster. In the scale of a building, it was probably around one and a half stories tall. Though unlike the Tronobo and Pronobo which were clearly a master of either speed or strength based from their body build, for the Gigarillon, it was hard to tell because its body was neither too muscular nor too light. In fact, there was even a chance that the Gigarillon’s stats were balanced instead of focusing or mastering a single trait.

Probably noticing my gaze, the Gigarillon also looked me in the eye as if trying to gauge my intention. But a split second later, the monster turned its eyes towards the direction of the Hackclaw and Savaga in a way as if finding my very existence to be insignificant.

Of course, I would be lying if I said that the monster’s behavior didn’t bother me. Because truth to be told, I found that action to be really irritating especially since it was basically a direct attack on my pride. And though some people might say that someone like me who always ran or hid in the face of overwhelming power had no rights to feel this way, I would simply argue back that my decisions were always based on a long-term chance to strike back and win after some preparations. Essentially, every choice and action that I make were for the sake of safe-keeping both my pride and life. That was why for me, the most unforgivable and biggest mistake an individual could do was stepping and spitting on that pride. Because once that was done, there was no going back and I would do everything in my power to find a way to put such an individual back in their rightful place.

Probably as a result of being too worked up, I unconsciously let out a deep growl. And immediately sensing my hostility, the Gigarillon looked at me while the Tronobo and Pronobo stepped in front of their master as if trying to protect him. But clearly, it was simply impossible for me to break free from my bounds, in fact, the vines were tied more tightly than before most likely because the Banobo from before wanted to make sure that I wouldn’t be able to suddenly launch a surprise attack on their supreme leader. That was why quite frankly, the reaction of the Tronobo and Pronobo was just too excessive.

Contrary to the reaction of the Tronobo and Pronobo, the Gigarillon was just looking at me with a calm expression. And without a doubt, I could clearly see some traces of intelligence in those beastly gold eyes of the monster. Unfortunately, the intelligence and will that I saw in those eyes wasn’t that of a former human just like me. If I had to describe it, it was one and the same with what I saw from the eyes of my Father wolf, the Tempest Wolf and the Swamp Drake. In short, the Gigarillon was a highly intelligent monster that may have been a possessor of an even greater will than that of any other intelligent monster I knew.

Without backing down, I stared at the Gigarillon while letting my hostility flow like an open dam. But as if finding my reckless action to be amusing, the Gigarillon’s mouth curved into a smile. Though for some reason, the smile I saw wasn’t a smile of someone looking down on others, in fact, it instead resembled a fierce smile of a battle-hardened warrior that finally found a worthy opponent to contend against.

Immediately after that, the Gigarillon moved past the Tronobo and Pronobo stopping only once he was directly in front of my face. Then while looking directly in my eye, the Gigarillon made a gesture towards the Tronobo and Pronobo that were standing on his back.

At first, it was as if the Tronobo and Pronobo were against the decision of their supreme leader. But when the Gigarillon looked back at them, both the Tronobo and Pronobo scuttled into their feet to follow their supreme leader’s command. A short while after that, all the ape type monsters on the area including the Tronobo and Pronobo surrounded us in a rough circular position. Following that, three Banobos hastily began removing our bounds while still being careful not to look their supreme leader in the eye. And if you were wondering. Yes, I was not alone. Because funnily enough, I actually managed to drag both the Hackclaw and Savaga into this reckless fight.

 

 You can also follow my author's page to get the latest news and announcements about this novel and some other projects I'm working on.

Link:https://web.facebook.com/D0nit0l

28