Chapter 4- Dinner
73 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nick skulked through the road, passing quartz-lit house after quartz-lit house. At the moment he was on a detour, because someone was following him.

               He noticed it a few corners ago. A black flicker above the shadows cast by the houses. The thud of shoes against the rooftops behind him. Whoever was tailing him was doing a poor job of it.

               Nick acted no different, but his mind was racing. Who was this person? Did he do something to trip anyone to his actual activities? He was preparing to move into a position where he could throw off his stalker, when it cursed in a familiar voice.

               Ren dropped his guard, sighed, and turned, gazing above the pale buildings.

               “Ren,” he said. “I know you’re up there. Get down. People are sleeping under the roofs you dolt.”

               There was a brief silence then a reply.

               “I’m not stomping. And you’re late.”

               “I know. I know, but let’s not annoy everyone else. Come out now.”

               A human head and torso perked itself up from one of the rooftops then leapt. Yellow static trailed behind in its wake, as it landed atop the wooden beam of a quartz street-lamp.

               “Ren. What on earth are you wearing?” Nick crossed his arms and started tapping a foot.

               “It’s a cloak.” Ren popped the hood off, revealing a mop of blonde hair and a boyish smile. Glittering gold eyes, peered down at Nick. “Used by the Imperator espionage agents. I got it off the market this morning!”

               “Ren…” Nick palmed his forehead. “What did I tell you about buying needless things. Also, get down from there.”

               “Why should I?”

               “It is not a matter of why. It is a matter of when.” Nick peered at the tattered holes in the wooden beam probably left from a termite infestation.

               “What do you mea-.” There was a cracking noise and the beam teetered, sending Ren off balance. His hands grabbed the pole, causing the beam to topple over. Nick stepped aside as it tumbled onto the ground with a crash, and as his younger brother landed face-up with a painful oof.

               “Id-i-ot,” said Nick, walking over to Ren, who was massaging his bruised back.

               “Do you have to be so mean?” Ren looked up with irritation.

               “I’ll stop being mean when you stop being an idiot. But I’ll be nice just this once.”

               Nick offered a hand, and Ren grabbed it, hoisting himself up.

               “On second thought.” Nick let go, letting Ren fall to the ground with another oof. “Nah.”

               “Hey!”

               Nick just snickered as he continued down the street. It was the fundamental duty of older brothers to tease their younger ones, especially if they were being dumb. A duty Nick intended to take quite seriously and with much amusement.

               A weight fell on his back, and two arms wrapped around his neck.

               “Ack!” he said. “Ren, get off!”

               “Not until you say sorry!”

               Nick could have apologized, but the stubborn streak in him said no, so the two of them flailed and heaved around the street like a marionette. At least until Nick tripped over a pebble and fell forward.

               “There,” said Ren as he got off his brother’s back. “We’re even.”

               “Ugh,” said Nick as he lay face side-ways on the ground. He could feel the cuts across his chest reopen as he struggled to breathe.

               “Hey, what’s up? Are you okay?” said Ren. “You aren’t getting old on me, are you?”

               Ren’s foot drifted into Nick’s vision and he sprung the trap.

               “Never too old.” Nick’s hand swept around, knocking Ren’s leg off balance and causing him to fall. “To teach you a lesson!”

               “Ow!”

               Nick laughed as he sauntered back up and jogged ahead, leaving Ren behind.

               He looked over his shoulder, expecting another leaping attack. Instead, Ren was zipping towards him faster than any normal human being, with yellow lightning trails in his wake.

               “Hey no affinitie-OOF!” said Nick, right as Ren collided into his waist and two went tumbling across the street.

               When Nick rolled to a stop, he could see a few shutters flip open above. Faces peeked down at him and Ren looking to see what the commotion was about. Some of the shutters slammed close immediately afterwards, followed by angry mutters.

               “Alright you win,” said Nick, preferring a truce to drawing any more unwanted attention. He hefted himself up, turning to his brother who was already up and about. “Using an affinity means it doesn’t count though.”

               “Sure.” Ren rolled his eyes.

               “You’ve gotten better with timing your charges though I’ll give you that,” said Nick, wincing at spasms of pain from his chest from the blow.

               “Of course!” Ren crossed his arms with a smug look on his face. “I’ve even started to beat Master Dunwick.”

               “Really? So, you’ve finally started to take your training a bit more seriously?”

               “If you mean those boring drills where I hit a straw dummy a thousand times the same way then hell no.”

               “Language… “said Nick.

               “Yea yea whatever, old man.”

               Nick bonked Ren on the head.

               “Ow!” Ren hands leapt up to massage the bruise.

               “Take those drills more seriously.” Nick eyed Ren. “You can’t just coast on talent forever you know, and you’re making a habit of not trying. Bad habits are far harder to break than good ones. Didn’t you promise to give your best effort? What did I tell you about keeping promises?”

               “Speak for yourself.” Ren scowled back. “You said you wouldn’t be late today. What happened to that?”

               Ren’s nose twitched as he smelled something foul. “And why do you smell like stale liquor?”

               “Uh-Work related business,” said Nick.

               Ren just raised an eyebrow. “Uh-huh. It is almost like you didn’t want to see Lara. I wonder wh-?”

               “Why you- .” Nick was about to bonk his brother’s head again but his swing hit nothing but air. Ren dashed out of range, lightning sparking in his wake.

               “Too slow!” said Ren as he began running away.

               “Come back here!” said Nick, unable to help the grin creep up his face as he chased after him.

***

               The two of them ran through the streets. Ren barely breaking a sweat while Nick struggled to keep up. It didn’t help that Ren’s affinity was lightning which granted him an unprecedented degree of speed and dexterity.

               However, he wasn’t about to show weakness in front of his little brother. He’d never hear the end of it.

               Thankfully the chase came to an end as they arrived at the Belver’s home. A quaint two-story building built out of the same pale marble as all the others. Ren blew a raspberry at Nick’s face as he jaunted through the wooden door entrance. Nick sighed, wondering whether he would ever actually grow up.

               Warm quartz-light glowed past the window shutters, and Ren could hear muffled voices. A female voice yelling at Ren, followed by the giggle of another. It looked like everyone was already settled in.

               Nick put a hand against the wall, trying to catch his breath. He winced as a spasm of pain rippled through his chest. He peeked under his shirt, and it didn’t look like blood was seeping through. Still, it was best to be careful. That was not a conversation he wanted to have.

               Once the fire from his chest eased, he pushed past the doors to enter the warmth of the house.

               “-swear Ren, why do you have to always be so immature?”

               “Quit being such a nag. You’re acting more like Nick every day.”

               “Am not.”

               “I’m home,” said Nick, as the four faces around the dinner table turned to face him. The air was seeped with the scent of a feast that caused his mouth to water, even if he had no need to eat.

               Ren stopped his argument with Miri, his twin sister, surprising given their polar opposite temperaments and looks. The two were seated on one end of the dining table, an empty seat for Nick between the two.

               “About time,” said Miri. She was dressed in a simple training tunic; her wavy blonde hair was tied to a semi-neat pig-tail to her side. One arm was resting lazily on the table, holding up her chin while the other circled a fork on an empty plate. Her golden eyes peered at Nick with annoyance.

               “You’re late you know.” Miri peered at Nick’s clothes, covered in dust and dirt from his scuffle with Ren and his earlier evening activities. “And dirty as well.”

               “Got into a scuffle on the way back,” Nick said with innocence. Ren snickered.

               “Right… “ Miri rolled her eyes.

               “Do you have to be so uptight sis?” said Ren. “Who put a stick up your bum?”

               Irritation flashed on Miri’s face but she restrained herself. They had a special guest tonight after all. One she looked up too.

               “I see the three of you haven’t changed at all,” said a green-haired woman whose voice exuded warmth like a ruby.

               Nick looked to Lara Belver, eldest daughter of the Belver family. Her green hair was tied back in a ponytail and her face was cut in a striking way, in similar fashion to the white uniform she wore. The golden emblem of a Pegasus etched onto her collars.

               She had flowered a physical and spiritual poise and grace which whose bud could be seen when they were children. A trait which drew the unwanted attention of nearly every boy and quite a few men in town.

               Now she was a full-Nephilim, graduate from the top of her class at Seraphil’s main academy, and a Pegasus knight, just like her late father. Nick wouldn’t be surprised if the net of unwanted attention now spanned half the country.

               “Lara.” Nick smiled, happy to see his friend again. “Welcome home.”

               “Its good to see you again Nick. You especially haven’t changed one bit.”

               “And you’re as radiant as ever.”

               “Ew,” said Ren. “No flirting over the table.”

               “Yes, it is rather unseemly,” said Miri. “Worse when you do so in such a straight-forward manner.”

               Nick bonked both of their heads resulting in a simultaneous “Ow!”

               Lara giggled. To her right, across from Miri, Vlara blushed and looked down with hands folded under the table. Unlike her older sister, Vlara was like a mouse. Not to say she lacked in looks but rather they were hidden away. Her hair was cut short around her neck, but also covered most of her face, covering it up as a reflection of her own shy nature.

               Nick looked at the plates of food brimming atop the table. Slow-roasted peppered pork. Honeysuckle gravy over mashed potatoes. Buttered oysters with a hint of lemon. Not too many in terms of spice due to the ongoing embargos, but still delicious.

               The rest of the room was as quaint as the rest of the house, a reflection of a near-ideal Vislandan family. A few potted plants set in the corner, demonstrating harmony with nature. A family portrait set overlooking the table, featuring young Lara and Vlara, standing in front of their mother Cianna and their father clad in his full knight regalia. Nick had few memories of the man, before he passed while evacuating the Adrestan embassy when the kingdom fell to revolutionaries. However, he got along with Valdric, which to Nick meant he was a good man.

               “Children, Children!” said a matronly voice from the kitchen.

               Cianna Belver who retained the same grace she once possessed in the picture, but with a few extra gray lines around her hair, appeared from the kitchen doorway with a plate of roasted potatoes and herbs. Lara’s favorite.

               “Nick!” she said. “You’ve finally arrived.”

               “Sorry Ma’am,” he said.

               “Oh, don’t worry. I’m sure ehe Earl is quite demanding, especially with tomorrow coming up.” She placed the plate in the center of the table, and sat on the final seat around the table. “Besides, the potatoes took some time so not a moment has been lost.”

               She placed a hand on Lara’s shoulder.

               “Just like how you used to love them.”

               “Thanks mom,” said Lara.

               “Nothing to worry about honey. It has been so long since we shared a dinner with all of us here.” Ciana beamed at her daughter, and Nick could see where Lara got her grace from. Out of the corner of his eyes, he could see Vlara tighten up and shirk away.

               Cianna gestured around the table. “Please help yourselves!”

               Nick waited for his siblings to collect food on their plates. He flashed a knowing eye at Ren to mind his manners and not antagonize Miri for the rest of the evening. Ren just rolled his eyes and began chomping down on his full plate, with no respect to proper use of a knife and fork. He turned his eyes the other way to Miri, who had proceeded to fill her plate up with oysters and pork.

               “Remember to eat your vegetables,” said Nick.

               Miri stopped, refusing to make eye contact and her eyes narrowing in irritation. She went on to find the smallest vegetable among the dishes, and forked a single roasted pepper onto her plate.

               In other words, it was a perfectly normal dinner, as far as the last five years were concerned. Nick went on to collect up a balanced meal for himself. Balanced in terms of flavor than nutrition.

               “So… Lara, what is it like? Being in the Pegasus Corps?” said Miri. Nick knew she was far more interested in the actual Pegasus than life in the corps. She always wanted one since she found out about the flying horses.

               “Pretty busy,” said Lara. “A lot of work, both in taking care of a pegasus and learning about things like flying tactics and so-on. Nothing I can’t manage.”

               “Oh, I see. Do you have yours here?”

               “I do. Scarlet’s in an old stable outside of town. Knight-Captain Volkar offered to look after her.”

               “Ooo that is so cool,” said Miri as she went back to eating her food, her eyes brimming with joy. She was definitely going to ask Lara if she can see it before dinner ended.

               “Isn’t the Pegasus Corps one of the highest orders you can enter once you graduate?” asked Ren. “Nearly every single victory and hero’s tale has them sweeping in to save the day in some way shape or form.”

               “Indeed,” said Nick. “Not only do you need to score near perfect marks on the final written examinations, but you must pass the Spire’s highest flight obstacle course, as well as prove proficiency with the spear, sword, and bow. There is a reason why they are in those stories, and it is because they are among the best of the best.”

               “Wow,” said Ren.

               “No need for flattery Nick,” said Lara.

               “Not flattery if it is true.” Nick pointed the tip of his fork at Lara’s shoulder, where a golden line striped along its edge. “Also, you’re a Seraph-Knight? I think congratulations are in order.”

               “What!” said Ren.

               “Ha ha, I am,” said Lara, sheepishly brushing at the rank, while flashing Nick a smiling glare. At nineteen years of age, she was one of the youngest in a generation to ascend to the rank. Lara however, was as modest as people went, and disliked attention.

               All he did was smile back. He could have made it worse, describing the full detail of her accomplishments. Such as how the symbol on her collar wasn’t reserved for any regular Pegasus knight, but for those of the First Lancers of House Uri. The most decorated regiment in the country.

               “How?” asked Ren.

               “Impressed enough people during the final bout after earning my reigns with Scarlet.” She shrugged. “The proctors asked for an accelerated promotion as it turns out.”

               “In other words.” Nick looked at Ren. “Through hard work and practice.”

               Ren rolled his eyes. “Yea, yea. Preach more.”

               “Anyhow, enough about me,” said Lara. “How have you all been doing?”

               “The same as you said,” said Miri. “Ren likes to horse around. Nick’s either playing butler at the Earl’s mansion or has his nose shoved so hard up his books I’m surprised he hasn’t gone fully cross-eyed.”

               That earned Miri another swift bop on the head.

               “Ow!”

               “What did I tell you about manners,” said Nick. “Aren’t you learning anything from Mrs Mersault?”

               “Nothing to learn from that pruned hag- ow!”

               She rubbed her bruised head, while Nick went right back to digging oyster meat from its shell with his knife and spoon.

               “Manners,” said Nick. “Mrs Mersault is kindly dedicating her time to teach you in proper mannerisms and the use of arms, and you shall give her your due respect, whether or whether not she is present.”

               Mrs Mersault was a private tutor he paid to teach Miri, and just like Ren’s tutor, Master Dunwall, cost a significant chunk of his income. Part to actually come out this far to teach them, and another part to keep their mouth shut on how a no-name servant had so much money in the first place.

               “Why can’t you be a bit more graceful,” said Nick. “Like Vlara?”

               His attempt at building Vlara’s confidence floundered as she cringed away, her cheeks turning a tinge redder. Miri grumbled under her breath.

               “Sorry,” said Nick to Cianna and Lara, who were merely watching with amused faces. “It is your house and this is your special evening so I apologize for any uncouth mannerisms on our part.”

               “Oh-ho, it isn’t any issue Nick,” said Cianna. “We are all practically family at this point.”

               “Exactly,” said Lara, who gave Nick a knowing look as if she wanted to talk about something later. Nick raised his eyes but acknowledged her gesture and went back to eating.

               “So, are you all excited for tomorrow?” said Lara.

               Neither Ren or Miri said anything. Both, as Nick was aware, were probably thinking of nothing else but tomorrow.

               “Ascension Day is always a trying time for the children,” said Cianna. “Why I remember you were quite out the night before yours.”

               “I guess I was,” said Lara. “I always knew I would go to the academy though.”

               Ascension Day happened once per year, where the children of Vislanda reached their fifteenth year. The same time period when their potential would be revealed.

               All Innatum children were born with an affinity for a particular element as evidenced by their hair color. Blonde for Lightning. Red for Fire. Green for Air. Blue for Water. Brown for Earth. Almost all of Vislanda’s people were Innatum, but the country was most famous for their renown Nephilim, graced with a strong affinity for air and a particular type of beauty which accompanied it. All with an affinity for air began attending the Spire Academy at Seraphil to flourish and harness their wings. All other Innatum went to various branch academies as part of the mandatory four-years of military service.

               Normally, this meant Miri and Ren would go to a branch academy, as evidenced by their yellow hair and affinity for lightning. However, there were those among the population who awoke a second affinity during their Ascension ceremony. A case which was either a great blessing or cast suspicions of martial infidelity, depending on the affinities for one’s parents. In Miri and Ren’s case however, who knew nothing of their birth parents, it was quite literally up in the air.

               Both sought to become Nephilim, both for their own reasons, and would need to awaken a second affinity, and air for that matter, to do so.

               A hundred in one case as Nick read in a book. Unbeknownst to his siblings, he was well-aware of how the results would skew tomorrow. Not that he was going to tell them. No need to spoil the suspense.

               “Don’t fret about it,” Nick said to Miri and Ren. “It’ll all go well tomorrow.”

               “Why? Because we’ll probably end up like you?” said Miri. “Easy for you to say.”

               “Miri!” said Ciana.

               A palpable silence and coldness drifted into the atmosphere of the table. Nick however, continued on eating as if all was normal. Her words stung, but he had years to get used to his situation among a world of people with elemental affinities.

               Nick was not an Innatum, evidence by his black hair and black eyes. That wasn’t the end all though. The Bracers were always an option.

               “That was uncalled for,” said Lara, her normally cheerful aura, now radiating disappointment. “I suggest you apologize to your brother now.”

               “Sorry,” Miri uttered under her breath, looking at the floor.

               “It’s alright.” Nick waved it off with a hand and smiled.

               “Anyhow,” she said looking at Nick. “I heard the Earl is hosting a lavish ceremony at the Evergreen Plains for his daughter’s ascension. I take it he had you hard at work for it?”

               The evening’s activities cycled through his head. Guiding the boat out of the cove, the battle with the harpies, nearly dying but never having felt more alive, the relatively uneventful trip back.

               “The work was… challenging but not too different than usual.” He worked to cut a thin piece from a slice of roast pork. “Supposedly, he is bringing out a few caskets of Adrestan wine stored in his cellars.”

               “Really?” said Cianna as she sighed, wistfully. “Adrestan wine is so hard to come by, ever since trade ground to a halt. Nothing quite has such a potent mix of sweetness and tannins. I wonder how the man has so much stocked up. Quite the prophet to have done so.”

               Nick nodded, chewing down a cut of roast pork. “Hopefully the turmoil down south reaches a swift conclusion. Six years of fighting with still no sign of ending. It might just break the record of the War of the Five Richards as one of the longest in history.”

               “I hope so too.” Cianna sighed. “Honestly, it is such a mess. First the Adrestans overthrow their rightful rulers, instituting whatever that rule of the mob they call good governing. Common people, ignoring the rightful structure of this world. And next thing you know their ideas spread north.”

               She shook her head. Nick knew the personal nature of the matter to her. Her husband left when the sparks of that conflict just lit and never returned.

               “I fear this is an illness. A mental malady cast upon the people to the south. Sometimes I fear we have let it fester for too long.”

               “Don’t worry mom,” said Lara. “Word from the south is that things will be won soon. I believe a lasting peace will settle eventually.”

               “I do hope so as well dear,” said Cianna. “Honestly, sometimes I wonder whether the Bracer Revolution did more good than harm.”

               From what Eric told Nick, things were going very differently. However, he said nothing. No need to spoil the mood any further.

               “Mom, Lara. Where are all the Bracers coming from anyway?” said Vlara. “Aren’t they supposed to be fighting in the Old Continent. Like the Paragons?”

               “Honey,” said Cianna. “Nobody knows. Although, the fact they are stirring trouble says a lot about their character.”

               “But why though? Didn’t the Bracers make the same oath as all the other Reclaimers? At least that was what Uncle Valdric used to say… “

               And the frost in the atmosphere that had just begun to melt, froze once more as Vlara brought up another antsy topic. Valdric.

               “Again, I believe that says a lot about the character of those Bracers,” said Cianna.

               Conversation stalled for the rest of dinner. A culmination of anxiety for tomorrow and discussion of fragile subjects.

               “Well,” said Cianna, looking across the table as everybody seemed to be finished eating. “I believe we are settled for the night. Ladies, I believe we should continue over some tea.”

               She looked over to Nick and Ren.

               “Gentlemen, you are perfectly welcome to join us.”

               Nick saw the horror etched on Ren’s eyes.

               “Appreciated,” said Nick, who knew his brother had little to no interest in attending any ‘girly tea parties’ as he called them. “I think Ren and I will head to our room. He and I have a score to settle.”

               Miri rolled her eyes. “You’re just going to be playing Thrones and Dominions aren’t you. How childish.”

               “You don’t like it because you aren’t any good at it,” said Ren.

               “To be fair,” said Lara. “The game is quite popular in the academy. Some of the instructors have even taken to using it to teach war strategy.”

               With her idol Lara on the side of the boys, Miri said nothing. The two groups split after cleaning up, partaking different activities for the rest of the evening.

2