Chapter 20- Departure
46 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The arachnid skittered across the rock floor, spurring towards them at breakneck speed. Nick braced himself against his shield, readying himself for imminent impact.

Then, there was silence. Nick peered up, just in time to see a brown blur speeding down from the darkness beyond the faint blue orbs of scattered healing staves.

                “Get away!” he yelled, dropping his guard and dashing forward.

                Droid joints creaked into motion as they followed suit, sprinting in opposite directions right as the monster slammed down with an earth-shaking thud. Minecarts and weapons clattered throughout the room. Vibrations rattled up Nick’s legs.

                He spun around, coming face first to the monster’s open razored maw. A high-pitched whine followed as twin fangs painted green with acid lurched towards him.

                Nick raised his shield. The violet barrier shimmered as the force rippled through, sliding him back. Acid splashed around the shield, sizzling holes into the ground.

                A heel caught a rail-track. He leapt to avoid toppling over, just as the arachnid struck again, sending another teeth-rattling blow and pushing him further back.

                By the time Nick touched the ground, the monster had already closed the distance, following through with a relentless flurry of attacks. Front. Sideways. Above. Nick shifted the shield around to block each incoming attack, without any opportunity to retaliate. The effort of maintaining the defense required his full mental concentration all while sapping the energy out of his arms.

Nick grit his teeth as exhaustion set in, as another attack struck the shield.  

Low Energy Alert. (Capacity 15/100)

The violet barrier encasing the shield shattered. A fang punched through the gray material of the shield, through the small blue screen and stopping just short of his forehead. A sliver of acid dripped down to his arm.

He bit his tongue, concentrating through the pain of his own skin melting away. Realizing it was now little more than a useless hunk of metal, he let go of the shield. The fang swerved sideways, hauling it away.

Nick was greeted with all six of the arachnid’s green eyes. However, the shield stuck to its fang, hampering its movement. Nick recognized opportunity, raising his other arm to sweep the energized sword sideways.

It split the fang in half, and the arachnid lurched back, letting out a howl of pain. Nick dashed backwards out of striking range, clutching his own wounded arm. Right as the droids caught up to assault the monster from all angles.

                A bulky tanker struck first. Its sword bounced off the hide, doing little than causing it to flinch. The lean striker attacked next, and the violet-encased spear jutted through a leg, earning another guttural howl from the arachnid.  

The striker primed another strike, when the violet-encasement around the spear sputtered away. Instead of piercing through, it bounced off just like the tanker’s swords.

The arachnid swept around, snapping its maw at the striker. The droid managed to dash backwards, but the jaws caught its weapon, snapping the spear in two.

Nick glanced at the alert screen, noticing the vibrant violet glow around his sword had vanished as well.

Low Energy Alert. (Capacity 5/100)

                Right. He needed energy to use these abilities. Which he and the droids were running short of. And empowered attacks appeared to be the only way to deal any significant damage to the thing.

                “Get back!” Nick cried out, eyeing then running to the blue glow of a healing staff by a pile of rubble against the wall. “To me!”

The three droids swerved around the maimed monster, retreating toward Nick’s position. The arachnid howled, limping towards them. Unable to catch up.

Nick grit his way through exhaustion and pain. His arms hadn’t felt this worn since the time he was left hanging on a cliffside after crashing his first attempt at an air-ship.

The staff was buried halfway in rubble but the orb on top was exposed. The instant he got close, wisps of light flew out, surrounding him and the droids. Strength returned to his arms, his acid-drenched wounds healed, and the number by Capacity rose until the screen vanished.

                The orb went dark, and the corner of the room dimmed. Nick turned toward the arachnid, which snarled and pawed at the ground. Its shattered fang and broken limb slowly regrowing. The striker picked up a spear from a shattered droid body.

They were back to where they were when the fight began.

                A quick glance around the room told him that there were two more healing staves left. Not that he wanted to exhaust those either. The last thing he wanted to do was fight this thing in darkness.

Which meant he needed to take it out in one fell swoop.

With the pause in combat, Nick’s mind raced. He wasn’t much good in terms of sheer power, but power alone wasn’t the end all and be all. Proper application was most of the point.

He thought of every aspect of the battle so far. Every moment they attacked and defended. Strengths and weaknesses. Pitting one against the other.

A shield lay by the rubble. He reached down with his spare hand but stopped. The shield provided protection, but it also hampered him. Forcing him to fight defensively. Clunky and unfamiliar.

Instead, Nick held the weapon with both hands, easing into a more comfortable fighting style of two-handed swordsmanship. He focused, and violet light sprung up to encase the blade of the weapon. Shining more vibrantly than before. Casting a glow amidst the dim surface of the rubble.

He had a plan. All he to do now was execute.

The arachnid charged once more, and Nick crouched as the battle began anew.

He knew enough about monsters from all the stories Valdric told him. Even more from the ones he read. The key to beating them, was in recognizing the limited patterns in which they fought. They never truly learned, not in a human sense.

The arachnid leapt into the air halfway into the charge as before.

“Split up.” Nick ran forward. “Now!”

The three droids spread out, a moment before the arachnid landed. They surrounded it on three sides, the wall blocking the fourth.

Now he needed to take the initiative, and for that he needed to fight with the droids. Group-fighting. Hardly a strong suit. When all the other children expressed their powers, practicing them against and with each other, Nick was left alone. He sparred once with Lara’s beckoning, but it quickly became apparent it was of little use. Group fighting required each individual to contribute.

Which made this new to him. But he was a fast learner.

“Tanker, Striker, Tanker. Attack in that order!”

                Before the arachnid could attack, the tanker on Nick’s left sauntered forth, its sword striking a leg. The attack did no damage, but even still, the monster shifted to attack the nuisance.

                As the monster retaliated, the striker struck its exposed rear. As fangs clashed into the tanker’s shield, the spear slit through a hind leg. The monster howled in pain, pivoting toward the striker, leaving it open to another attack by another droid. It turned again, right as Nick swept his own weapon across, cutting across a side leg.

                His suspicion proved correct. The monster went after whichever foe had attacked it last. A pattern he could exploit.

They repeated the cycle, attacking, defending, attacking, and dodging. Hacking away at limbs until the spider screeched.  It tried to lurch its way through, sensing danger.

“Block it!” said Nick.

A tanker stepped sideways, blocking the arachnid’s attempt to flee. A futile attempt by the monster with so many hamstrung legs.

It crashed into the tanker, and with its back turned, Nick ran forward, grabbing ahold of its hide. He hefted above it with a single arm, surprised at first by his own strength. He flipped over, landing with feet planted squarely atop its back. The arachnid squawked and heaved in attempt to throw him off, but not before Nick shoved the blade, point down with both hands.

Light cracked out as the violet blade sunk into the monster’s core. The arachnid let out a death rattle like all the kobolds slain before it. It fell flat onto the ground.

And with that, he completed another feat he hadn’t expected to complete in years.

Surprise, exhaustion, relief, and pride soared through him at once. As he regained his footing, cracks rippled through the creature’s corpse. It dissolved away, causing him to fall towards to the ground.

He managed to avoid landing flat, finding purchase with his feet first. Dust and aether dissipated around him, followed by the ring of something solid smack into a rail track. A massive glowing brown agate at chest-height stood beside him. A reward left for his victory.

Nick shook his head and chuckled at what he had just done. A forest arachnid. He took out a forest arachnid. Valdric himself only did so two years into his stint as a reclaimer, and that was with a full team of fellow fighters. Pegasus Knights would think twice before setting off against them.

While he did it within a day of setting foot onto the old continent.

A flurry of creaking footsteps drew his attention. A formation of droids arrived from the tunnel. Nick forgot he had sent them down here.

The droids marched towards him, each step-in unison like disciplined soldiers, then stopped several feet in front of him.

Legatus One, with the trademark circles around his body, stepped forward.

“Mechanar Nezra,” it said. “We have detected the other two Legates are no longer active, voiding your original orders.”

Nick looked at the destroyed body of Legatus Two, laying on the floor with a hole in its chest. Legatus Three was nowhere to be found. In all likelihood, probably buried under the rubble. Destroyed as well.

“I guess so…” Nick realized after taking another glance at the surroundings. Blue light from the few healing staves remaining, piles of rock, destroyed droids, weapons, shields, ripped-up rail tracks, and scattered minecarts. Destruction wrought from his failed attempt to absorb the spawn core, and everything thereafter.

His thoughts shifted from basking in glory, to dealing with matters at hand. Danger was still afoot, and the open hole leading outside was the most likely source.

“Get the opening plugged. After that is done, find and move all weapons, broken droids, and the gemstones. Get them to the arsenals.”

“Understood Mechanar,” said Legatus One.

“Thank you.” Nick’s vision blurred, and he felt his mind fog over. “Also, bring a healer over.”

A droid in the far back holding a glowing blue healing staff stepped over to him. Wisps sauntered out, draping over him. Nick instantly felt ease and comfort seep through him. However, after the last wisp sunk into his skin, he didn’t feel completely refreshed.

The fog hadn’t disappeared. Looking through the entrance, the gray sky from before had turned dark. He had been fighting for so long he hadn’t taken into account just how long he had been up.

As it turned out, he realized he was sleepy.

The droids got to work, packing stones against the exposed hole.

It was pointless to make any forays out in the wild, especially this dark outside. No telling what other manner of things were out there waiting for him. Nick started to make his trek back up.

Best to rest first. On something comfortable preferably, and he had just the thing in mind.

***

The newly created sarcophagus stood in the middle of the tunnel, side by side the two arsenals. It was far enough in the tunnels that he could feel neither wind nor hear the rain.

With the spawn core destroyed and the entirety of the complex explored and cleared of monsters, he moved everything deeper inside. Or to be accurate, he told the droids what to do and they did all of the work.

It was rather interesting watching the droids move the arsenals. They seemed too heavy to move, but they pushed them around with ease. Maybe it had something to do with whatever allowed them to defy gravity. Floating above the ground just like that.

On that note, he wondered if there was some “upgrade” later which would enable him to do just that. Like flight.

That being said, all he wanted to do now was rest. As he trekked up the tunnels, the mental fog got worse. With each step the prospect of curling up by the wall sleeping became more and more tempting.

He never recalled being this tired so quickly. Working with little-sleep was a habit of his. Maybe it was just a side-effect of whatever he awakened, or maybe it was just all the effort he put in today. Never before in his life had he been stressed to this point.

Before sleeping, he needed to wrap up his preparations. He had already primed sentries to keep an eye on both openings to the tunnel complex. Now he just needed to make use of time while he rested.

Nick tapped his left hand, bringing up the main screen.

Main Unit: NEZRA- 14526181
                Current Generation: 1

                Main Unit Energy Quantity: 100
                Droid Count: 17/50

                Total Mineral Quantity: 1345
                Total Energy Quantity: 798
                Total Alloy Quantity: 0

                Active Constructs: Sarcophagus x1

                Options:

                [UNIT ARRAY INTERFACE]
                [BUILD] (New Units available- Factory)
                [ADVANCEMENT] Requirements for Second Trial

                                Main Unit Upgrades: Power x5, Capacity x5, Mental x5
                                Constructs: Sarcophagus x1, Refinery x1, Factory x1, Armory x1
                                Droid Count: x30
                                Active Classes: Offensive Droid x2, Defensive Droid x2, Support Droid x2

He noticed the odd yellow addition by [BUILD], indicating something new in the factory. He activated a factory interface.

                [FACTORY]

                [Droid Level 1] 100 Minerals 50 Energy
                [Striker Level 5] 750 Minerals 375 Energy
                [Tanker Level 5] 750 Minerals 375 Energy
                [Legatus Level 5] 750 Minerals 375 Energy

Nick blinked. The opportunity to create the advanced droids without promoting them was a nice surprise, although he was less enthused once he fully understood the cost of creating one. Almost seven to one.

He brushed his chin, considering the expense. Probably worth it, considering normal droids weren’t useful for anything more than fodder so far. Anything beyond the lowest rung of monsters.

Not that fodder lacked use. Sacrificing expendable units was a valid tactic after all.

There weren’t enough resources to create any of the more advanced varieties yet, but Legatus One and his team would be arriving soon. He turned his attention to the droids standing by the arsenals.

“When Legatus One arrives. I want you to make at least one more Legate. Rest of the resources will go to maker Tankers and Strikers. One to One.”

The droids said nothing, but Nick knew they understood. Legatus One was already tasked with keeping things on guard. With his last task for the day done, he stepped towards the black pod at the center of the tunnel.

As he tried to parse how to get it open, it did just that the moment he thought of it.

“Huh,” said Nick. It appeared he didn’t have to figure that part out after all.

He curled down and lay flat. After spending the entire day rubbing against coarse rock and chill winds, the soft material was a silk bandage to his bruised skin. The instant his entire body was submerged in the fluffy mass, the pod closed.

It was soft. Warm. Few times in his life paled to the level of comfort now. Well maybe that one time he snuck out with Lara… a few times. A different time. Different place. Old memories that brought nothing but pain.

Before he could drift into the solemn comfort of rest, a blue screen flashed in front of him.

Main Unit Upgrades
Power: 1- Improves base offensive capabilities. [100]
Mental: 1- Improves droid control. [100]
Endurance: 1- Improves energy levels. [100]

Additional levels will grant access to additional equipment.

[Finish]

Irritation bubbled up. He glanced at the screen, figuring out this was an upgrade screen like the ones he used earlier to “promote” the droids, except this time it was for himself.

It seemed worthwhile to invest although Nick was too tired to think straight. He pushed each button once, before selecting finish to make the screen vanish. Surrounded by darkness, he drifted away into the oblivion of sleep.

***

Nick woke up, blinking up at the plain marble ceiling of the room. The fresh seaside air billowed past his face, sending shivers crawling down his spine. He groaned, annoyed at Ren for leaving the window open again.

Then he realized if Ren left the window open, his younger brother had woken up before him. Nick was always the first to get up, which meant it was probably well into the morning.

Which in turn meant he was late.

His eyes snapped open, and he shot up. Ren’s bed a mess and Miri’s bed clean and prim.

Both were empty.

“Shit,” Nick muttered under his breath. He got up and slapped on his shoes before charging through the door and down the stairs.

Everything was quiet. Was everyone out for the day? The least of his current worries. Morel would fry him alive for being tardy. Did he have something due for the Earl? He had never been late once but didn’t want to earn the man’s displeasure.

As Nick fumbled through the empty dining room and out the door, he realized he couldn’t remember what he was supposed to do for the day. That wasn’t right. He always had something to do. Some task given to accomplish.

Something strange was afoot. The sun was out, and he could hear the sea breeze, but that was it. Not an ounce of commotion or discussion. Not another man, woman, or child in sight. The entire town was quiet, which made no sense during the morning.

Something wasn’t right.

Then the world darkened. Smoke wafted through his nose, along with something sour. Metallic. Acidic.

A grinding noise shrieked into his ears and rattled up his chest. Nick palmed his forehead, leaning over as the white walls of the marble houses warped and churned. Followed suit by the rest of the world. Like someone was tearing jagged chunks out of his vision, as one tore pieces from a sheet of paper. Replacing it with whatever lay beneath.

The landscape changed. Rubble and rusted metal replaced the cobblestone street. twisted into various forms littered the once pristine cobblestone streets. Gray buildings jutted out where the marble houses once stood, peering high into the sky. Smoke hazed the air.

He was confused. Anxious. What was going on?

All he knew was that this wasn’t Sevola. Not anymore.

He removed his hand from his head, realizing it had changed as well. Now it was encased in a metallic glove. The material stretched along the rest of his arm, painted black with red and violet stripes.

Nick glimpsed meaning in the symbols. He tried to grasp it, but it slipped away from him. Like sand seeping through a fist.  

Something flared violet on his left. He turned his gaze to witness a shimmering blade, jutting off a hilt he gripped with his other hand. A sword of some sort. A blade unlike any metal, more like lightning made solid.

Blood splattered along his left arm. Not his.

He turned behind, noticing a woman laying a few paces away from him. She wore vibrant fitted clothes in blue and orange. A style he had never seen before. Long brown hair splayed against the ground. Eyes frozen in terror. Unmoving hands dripping in blood clutching her waist.

A closer look made Nick realized it was no longer connected to her hips.

He flinched back, just to see a long row of similar corpses strewn along the roadside. All of them cut in two.

Nick knew he was responsible. With the weapon he held. Why? There was a reason but he couldn’t remember.

In the distance, he could see figures marching in the smoke. Droids. Moving forward, but to what? Then the grinding noise returned, and pain burst out of his skull.

His eyes flashed open again, and this time to darkness. Nick could hear his own breathing, a stark contrast to everything before.

Just another dream. Another nightmare. Vivid like a memory.

A terrifying realization crept over him. Were they all memories? And if they were, did it all truly happen?

The words of the voice from earlier echoed in his head.

“We shall see what you truly are.”

The train of thoughts stopped as a sound whistled, like cold steam escaping an icebox, and the pod opened up, exposing Nick to the tunnel.

He was surrounded by the blue light of healing staves, the violet light of the arsenals, and rows of droids. Many more than he recalled than before.

Nick leaned up, disoriented but refreshed. A moment later he became aware of the new writhing connections in his mind.

“Greetings Mechanar Nezra.”

Legatus One stood to his left.

“Good morning.” Nick rubbed his forehead, blinking his eyes to get used to the light. “Or is it? How long was I out?”

“You have been unconscious for 8 hours and 24 minutes.”

Awfully long, given he was usually able to work with five to seven hours. He scrawled out the pod, and into the chill air of the tunnel. His stomach growled. Not that he needed to eat for that matter, but it would have been nice to have something pleasant. Something cooked up by Chef Morel or Cianna.

A sour realization bubbled up that those days were now long gone. This. Constantly watching his back. Waking up to fight and going to sleep preparing to fight. This was to be his future from here on out.

Nick pushed the gripe to the edge of his mind, and pulled up the interface screen, counting up his forces. Five tankers, five strikers, and two legates. A sizeable rise from before.

Another growling noise erupted. At first Nick thought it was his stomach again, until he realized it was coming from without, not from within. The ceiling above rattled, and Nick recognized the whirring hymn. The engines of an airship.

He immediately activated the interface, double-tapping the box for a sentry he left near the entrance. His world blurred as his mind moved through space.

Nick peered his head around the curve of the tunnel, in his new body. Right in time to witness a curved hull appeared from the top of the cave entrance, eclipsing the blue sky and green trees beyond.

Followed immediately by the sound of human voices.

He focused, returning to his original body.

Someone had arrived, and out here the odds of them being friendly were slim to none. Especially out in the fringe.

It was as he thought. Going to bed preparing to fight, waking up to another fight. Potentially. Nothing was certain yet.

Regardless, he needed to prepare.

“Legatus One.” Nick turned toward the droid while grabbing the sword he left on the ground. “Get all the arsenals moved inward. Take your group with it. Rest of you follow me. We are about to have company.”

2