Chapter 28- Ruin
31 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ali stepped ahead past before Nick could stop him, and the old man on the opposite end of the battlefield did the same.

                The masked man stopped the draw of his trident as Nick gave out a mental order. All the droids halted in place, although their weapons stayed ready and they remained postured to advance. The elemental animals beside the masked man reacted in kind. The boar tugged its hoof against the ground. The hawk on the shoulder braced itself for flight.

                Nick came to a silent understanding with the new adversary. No fighting, at least for now. Ali and Osman met in the center of the would-be battlefield and hugged each other.

                “Good to see you are doing well old friend,” said Ali.

                “Hah!” Osman patted Ali’s back then backed away. “You as well. Figured you survived.”

Even while conflict had stalled, Nick prepared for it to resume. More and more strike and tank droids gathered around him, fanning out in an envelopment. The ones on the ships leapt off the decks, hauling over the few pirates who chose to surrender. Corralling them up in a group, before joining the latest front. Dozens of yellow nameplates and green health indicators of the 30 or so droids on the field covered the landscape.

If a fight did break out, Nick had every intention of ending it as quickly as possible. Another tank droid joined the one standing on his left and both raised their shields, guarding him from any potential attack from the front.

The masked man gazed back, in front of the shattered wall and the group of captives who murmured and shirked away from the army arrayed in front of them. Nick kept his eyes peeled around the pyramid-structure they hid within. There was no telling if there were any more of those elemental creatures about. Earth, water, and lightning thus far. He didn’t discount the existence of fire and wind.

                “I take it then… And I hope that these are friends of yours?” said Osman, watching the droids enveloping them.

                “Just so.” Ali turned around back to Nick, waving him over.

                He didn’t respond. There was no real doubt these were the captives the pirates were looking for, though it left the question of how they eluded their chasers and how. All said and done, this left them as the enemy of his enemy at best.

                “Come on Nezra!” Ali ushered with his hand again. “Osman’s an old friend of mine. Nothing to worry about.”

                Nick pointed his sword between the shields, straight at the masked figure.

                “Tell that one to lay down his arms first,” said Nick.

                “Your boys don’t seem to be too friendly either.” Osman gestured to the droids. “We’re far from where any laws hold sway, and we have innocents to protect.”

                “Innocents regardless,” said Nick. “That one attacked first. Give me a reason first, then we’ll talk.”

                Osman’s lips tightened.

                “He’s good Osman.” Ali placed a hand on the man’s shoulder. “Trust me.”

                “Two words which burned before.” Osman crossed his arms, pointing a finger at Ali’s chest. “Remember how we got into this mess in the first place?”

                “Fair enough.” Ali gestured at his clothes. “I can assure you however, that man is no friend of the outlanders. And to his credit, your… accomplice over there did strike us without warning.”

                Osman took another look at the droids as if to size them up if they fought. A fight which was increasingly growing in Nick’s favor as more of them took positions around the building.

                Nick sent out a mental order to a few workers left on the ship, readying them to replace any losses on the spot.

                “Bah!” Osman sighed, turning around to the masked man, and waving a hand down.

                The masked man cricked his head as if asking if Osman was certain. The old man nodded his head in resignment.

                The masked man drew his trident. Nick tensed up.

                Then he promptly tossed the weapon onto the ground, followed shortly by his bow. The elemental animals faded away into swirls of aether streaming to his back. A salamander the size of a dog, its skin flickering with fire, crawled out from the pyramid’s side. From the doorway, where the captives stood, a turtle formed completely out of water appeared, its head craning out of its shell. Both vanished with the others.

                Nick pursed his lips, as his earlier suspicions were confirmed.

                The masked man crossed his legs and sat on the dirt, hands on both knees. The people behind him in the building squirrelled away from line of sight. Now that their sole defender was unarmed. 

                Seemingly at least. Something told Nick the display was nothing but symbolic, and that if a fight did break out, it wouldn’t be as one-sided as he expected. Especially given his earlier feats.

                Still, it was a meaningful gesture. Nick focused, giving a slightly more complex command through the threads running through his mind. Every droid shifted at once, assuming a stance of attention. The violet gleam from their weapons dissipated away to opaque black metal. All but the two tank droids standing beside him kept their armaments drawn.

                Ali waved his hand over again, and this time Nick sheathed his sword and moved forth. He kept his eyes peeled on the masked man, feeling the return of the gaze. Both tank droids followed behind, creaking and clacking with every step.

                “Something tells me whatever those things are aren’t exactly human,” said Osman.

                “Droids,” said Ali.

                “A what now?” said Osman

                “It’s what they are called.” Ali shrugged. “I don’t know much but they are basically machines. Quite useful. And dangerous.”             

                As Nick got within a few paces to the pair, he got a better look at this Captain Osman who Ali regarded as a friend.

                The old man stood about a head shorter than himself, wearing brown trousers, a simple leather jerkin, and an undershirt marred with tears and scratches. His face was as worn and ragged with age and tiredness as his shirt did. Eyes sagged from lack of sleep. Head bald. His beard unkempt and reaching down to his chest. Hairs far grayer than red. In spite of everything else, Nick noticed his arms and the rest of his body retained bulk. The appearance of someone used to a life of physical toil.

                “Osman.” Ali pointed his hand at Nick. “Meet Captain Nezra. My friend, rescuer, and slayer of Outlanders. Leader of the Droid Legion.”

                “Fancy titles.” Osman raised an eyebrow.

                “Most of which were made up on the spot,” said Nick.

                “Hah!” Osman chuckled. “I figured. I’m pretty aware that half the words coming out of Ali’s mouth is little more than hot air. I hope friend is one title that is true however. You here to help us then?”

                “Depends,” said Nick. “Let’s cut the chatter. Those folk behind there. Those are the captives the pirates are after right. Cumberlane?”

                “Straight to the point then.” Osman nodded. “Yes. The devil himself.”

                Nick perused the faces, recognizing none.

                “Looking for someone?” said Osman.

                “Yes,” said Nick. “Any Vislandans?”

                “The winged folk?” said Osman. “There… was.”

                 “Was?” said Nick.

                “We had a big lad hailing from there. Among those we managed to save,” said Osman. “We were about to leave when Cumberlane and the rest of his pack of outlanders showed up. We got forced under the ruins after that.”

“What happened?” said Nick.

“They followed us down the tunnels.” Osman nodded to the masked man. “Hwan tried to stop them but… something happened. I think all those people triggered something in them ruins. Some ancient magic.

Osman shook his head.

“We got split up. Found as many as we could, but couldn’t dally too long. We beat Cumberlane back to the surface, and waited for an opportunity to break for it when we saw you lot.”

“Fine timing on our part then,” said Ali. “Though I don’t know why you attacked us…”

“We hardly knew who you were then,” said Osman. “All we knew is that the outlanders were preoccupied with you lot and saw a chance to escape. Good thing I noticed you before all hell broke loose.”

Osman looked past Nick, to the ships parked on the ground, and back to him.

“We have no quarrel with you,” said Osman. “We have people who need help here. People who have done no wrong. I’d appreciate it if you could lend a few ships to our cause.”

Nick bit his lip, looking at the people in the building. Starved faces. Desperate faces. If circumstances were a bit different, he’d gladly let them take one of the ships and go off on their own.

However, he had to find someone, and his one real lead was in those ruins. Everything he heard indicated he’d have a lot better chance at finding them with help.

                “How much do you know about the ruins?” said Nick.

                “Nezra,” said Ali. “Look at those people. They were taken from their homes, just as you were from yours. Just let them go.”

                “It’s fine.” Osman nodded. “You need someone to guide you through?”

                “Yes,” said Nick. “I need that Vislandan. Were there any others like him?”

                “Not sure,” said Osman. “But we can guide you through. Hwan and I have lived out here for the past few months. Pretty large underneath, but we’ve managed to map it out. We can guide you, on the promise that you will take the others to safety.”

                “I will,” said Nick.

                “Then we are in agreement,” said Osman. “Then we better hurry. Cumberlane and his men aren’t the worst things down there.”

                “Good.” Nick turned to Ali. “You’ll be going down there with them. I’ll be sending several droids along.”

                “You’re not coming?” said Ali.

                “Not in-person,” said Nick.

                ****

The hallway stretched ahead without an end. Dim but not dark. Symbols etched into the walls provided limited visibility of the way forward. The only sound was the occasional drip of ground-water close by, and the steady creaking of droid joints as they ventured underground.

“Really?” said Osman. “Took on an outlander ship by yourselves?”

“Yep,” said Ali. “One of Cumberlane’s lieutenants was on-board. The drunk one.”

“Doesn’t exactly narrow it down.” Osman shook his head. “Sorry pack of wastrels.”

Osman looked to the droids marching to his left and right.

“Not human for certain,” said Osman. “Islelander?”

“That’s what I thought,” said Ali. “Not Islelander.”

“Hm…” said Osman.

“Is it wise to be talking so much?” said Nick.

“It doesn’t matter,” said Osman. “Look.”

The old man picked up a pebble, tossing it down the hallway. When it landed, no noise came back. Not an echo or even a tap.

“Something about the walls and the air here doesn’t let sound carry very far.” Osman turned to look at Nick. “And besides. Your droids or whatever you call it make enough noise on their own. I’m an old man but my joints don’t pop like theirs. They missing oil or something?”

Nick looked down at the droid-body he inhabited.

“Point taken,” said Nick. “Let’s continue.”

Osman nodded, shivering in the chill of the underground. Ali gave the old man the cowl as a make-shift scarf. The hallway appeared cold, although Nick couldn’t tell in this body. They continued down the ruins, Osman and Ali talking about mundane topics. The droids creaking beside and behind them, with Nick moving side by side with the masked man Osman called Hwan.

He was a skilled fighter, Nick acknowledged that much. He stood about as tall as a strike droid, which made him the tallest out of everyone here. He also had no issues taking out any of the more advanced droids even with their armor and weapons with those animals of his.

Apparently, he could call them at will, although Nick never heard of such an ability.

Now that Nick was a bit closer, he realized just how unfamiliar everything about the man was. Black hair tied back into a small ponytail, like a woman would. The style and expression of the mask, with exaggerated wrinkles, didn’t resemble anything he knew from any book he read or play he watched. Even his clothes were foreign. A long-sleeve linen shirt under a linen coat tied together with a sash instead of a belt.

Regardless, he was an ally for now. Even Ali warmed a bit up to him, although how much of that was due to Osman he didn’t know. And Nick had more concerns oof his own. The last time he fought in a droid body he lost control, and he couldn’t risk that here. He kept a mental thumb on his impulses.

“So, where’d you find your fellow?” said Ali.

“Actually, he found me,” said Osman. “Cut me loose while a bunch of the outlanders were parked. We’ve been working together since then.”

“Interesting,” said Ali. “Where do you hail from Hwan? That’s your name, right?”

The masked man didn’t respond.

“He isn’t one for words,” said Osman.

“Is he a mute?” said Ali.

“No,” said Osman. “Just doesn’t talk much. Not unless he has to. All I know is that he doesn’t like what the outlanders have been doing. Taking people from their homes and selling them off as chattel. Done a pretty good job of making a wreck of their plans too.”

“So, I’ve heard.” Ali nodded then looked back. “A pretty noble cause. I may just forgive you for earlier then.”

The man didn’t respond, and the mask hid any expression on his face.

Ali sighed, murmuring something under his breath.

They stopped as the passageway split into two ways. One route however was cut off by a wall. Nick took a closer look and realized it wasn’t a wall, but a door.

“The thing slid right in place as we were trying to escape,” said Osman. “This was where we got split up.”

“I got it.” Ali stepped up, bracing himself on the ground. His hands glowed, and he swerved them against the wall, willing the material to move.

However, the door refused to budge.

“Won’t work,” said Osman. “The doors and everything around us is made of something that doesn’t budge to magic or strength. Hwan’s already tried and he’s better at shaping earth than you are.”

“Really?” Ali pursed his lips, straining as he attempted to move the door.

“Yes. Really,” said Osman. “Now let’s go before you crick your back. If there is one thing I know about this place, it is that all the passageways are connected. In far more ways than just one.”

                Osman led them through the maze-like corridor. Occasionally, they passed by rooms set off to the side. Their purpose unknown and any hints withered away by the decaying effect of time. It was still a lot different from the mines from earlier. Here were the remnants of the first great civilization of humankind. Capable of making materials resistant to being shaped by aether. How much had they forgotten since the cataclysm?

                Then they entered a room, which looked like some kind of storage area, judging by the number of shattered objects strewn against the floor. Much like before, their purposes remained unknown, sharing impossibly precise angles and edges, moreso than what any craftsman Nick knew to be capable of.

                They continued on, and in the far corner he saw the entrance of a large cavernous space, filled with blocks made from the same material as the door from before. Osman took a step to lead them in, when Hwan reached forward, holding Osman still.

                “Huh?” said Osman. “What’s wrong?”

                “They are close,” said Hwan, in a muffled voice through the mask.

                “Now you speak?” said Ali. “And how do you know?”

                “The wind speaks,” said Hwan. “Be quiet now. The air will carry your words.”

                The masked man turned to Nick.

                “Leave your metal men here for now,” he said. “They make too much noise. One is enough.”

Nick nodded in acknowledgement, as Hwan took over the reigns of their group and led them through the passageway.

                As they stepped closer, they began to make out voices. Nick couldn’t make out the words but he could make out the tones. Anger. Suspicion.

                They entered the cavern, following Hwan’s lead in crouching. They were on the second floor of something resembling a large colosseum, and past the balcony Nick made out a large gathering of men and women. Pirates, almost as many as he recalled seeing at Sevola.

                He recognized muskets and weapons of all varieties on many of them. Single and even several dual-gem bracers. Two groups had organized facing each other as if in an argument. Two men stood in the center, one wearing an outfit in the same style as the Adrestan noble from before and the other wearing more typical of the raiders.

                Nick noticed the corpses littering the ground floor when a voice boomed through the room.

                “So, Cumberlane. What will it be?”

 
3