Chapter 5
289 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Today, March 28, is Adna’s birthday.  Last night after dinner, she prepared her ingredients for salad.  Al loves the salad cooked by Adna, jelly with mangoes.  This salad when frozen is more delicious than ice cream.  Early in the morning, Adna was wearing her new dotted red dress.  She brought foods with her in going to the church not so far from their place.  She would meet the young nuns, an old nun, a retired judge, and old couple.  The husband looked similar to Papa Mar, that is why this  couple are so loved by Adna.   Papa Mar died in October 1992, Twenty seven years already, Papa Mar had been physically absent in Adna’’s life, but certainly always present in Adna’s mind and heart.  The wife of this old man still drives their car..  The old man was diagnosed with dementia , yet they still go together to attend  the Holy Mass in the church, where Adna would also be there every morning.   The old man is so neat, just like Papa Mar, and stands up with confidence.  He walks so slow by himself, so Adna goes to him to hold his hand and guide him to the bench where he used to sit with his wife.  Adna then goes to her place, seated next to them.  Adna also brought food for the retired judge, whom she would always meet in the church.

The first who approached Adna, who was sitting outside the church were the young nuns.  Adna’s eyes were busy looking for the old nun.   When the old nun came out,  Adna told the young nuns,  ‘’please wait, I will meet the old nun first’’.Adna left the young nuns and then went straight to the old nun slowly walking.  Adna said to the old nun, ‘’my birthday today’’, then she handed the foods to the 82 year old nun.  The old nun embraced and kissed Adna.  She was very happy to receive Adna’s foods.  ‘’Happy birthday, Adna’’, she smilingly told Adna, and she said to the other woman near her, ‘’today is her birthday’’, and the other woman greeted Adna ‘’Happy Birthday!’’.  The old nun used to give Adna religious pendants, not only for Adna but including her husband Al, daughters Lex and Azia, and only son of Adna, Al the second.

Adna noticed the retired judge was already standing, but when she saw the old couple, she went to them instead.  Adna gave the food to them, the old man who looked similar to Papa Mar smiled.  The wife asked Adna to sit beside her.  She brought a birthday card for Adna.  Usually, when there is a card, most of the time there must be money inside.  Adna said, ‘’please don’t put money inside’’, but the old woman replied, “ this is just a souvenir, a 2 dollar bill’’.  Adna knew it took time and effort to buy specific card.  The card noted, ‘’FOR A VERY SPECIAL FRIEND’, inside the card a short note was written by the old woman, ‘’a simple souvenir from us’, which means from her and her husband who looked like Papa Mar.  Adna thanked them and she felt so much joy to think that they really prepared something for her.  Then Adna gave the food to the judge.  He was so happy and said, ‘’it is your birthday, Adna, but you always think of us’’.  Adna went back to the young sisters, one of the gave Adna a rosary, and a keyholder with the picture of their congregation foundress who was also a nun.

Adna told Al about her beautiful experiences in the church.  Al was so happy for her.  She gave to Al the keyholder and the 2 dollar bill, she gave to Lex.  Adna started cooking again for her neighbors.  After cooking she personally brought the foods to them.  Lex bought two big chocolate cakes for her mom.  Written on the first cake, ‘’Happy Birthday, Mama. Love You’’.  On the second cake, “Be Happy and Healthy Always’’.  Lex also gave her a Birthday Card, with writings in front of the card, ‘’LOVE YOU MAMA’’.  Then Adna read the writings inside.  From Lex, ‘’Dear Mama, Happy Birthday!  May all your dreams come true.  Love, Lex.  From Azia, “Happy Birthday, Thank you for everything and for accepting me and for trusting me.  Love, Azia’’.  Al also wrote on the card, ‘’Happy Birthday DEAR.  Love you’’. Then at the bottom of the  card,  young Al wrote, ‘’Happy birthday, I love you mama’’.

When the young Al was born in 1992 October, Papa Mar was already lying on bed. But when Adna and Al arrived home with the newborn baby Al, Papa Mar really got up from bed to close the window so that the sunlight would not hurt baby Al.  Few days after, Papa Mar died on his sleep with a smiling face.  Papa Mar had seen all the children of Adna.  Papa Mar was buried day after Lex birthday.  He still attended Lex birthday though he was no longer breathing.  Adna understood, that joy must always be above anything.  Birthday foods still bounty during that time.  Adna knew that it was hard for Lex that she could no longer see Papa Mar, day after her birthday.  But Aunt Felip gave her all to Lex.  She assured Lex, an intelligent young girl that she still has lots of love surrounding her.  Papa Mar would not completely leave her.  He would hear Lex when she would speak to him for anything she needs.  “Papa Mar is just watching you, so must be good’’, Aunt Felip told her.

Lex became a responsible sister to Azia.  Her good traits were because of Papa Mar’s upbringing.  All the time at home, she was always with Papa Mar.  Aunt Felip gave most of her time to Azia.  The nanny of Azia was very caring to the child.  Azia was all the time neat, fragrant and all the time she kept carrying the baby.  She took care of the child like a real mother.  Aunt Felip really like the nanny of Azia, more than the nanny of Lex.  Aunt Felip was hands on to Lex.  When Lex was already in the Preparatory, an old nanny was in charge of her in school.  The nanny always wear her old clothes, not so presentable.  Lex told Adna, ‘’Mom, my classmates thought, the nanny is my mother, can you give her nice dresses please.’’  Adna took almost all her clothes and gave it to the nanny of Lex.  the neighbors were amazed of the new look of old nanny.  During activities in school, Al and Adna made sure they were always there.  One time Lex told her mother, ‘’Mom, when my notebook will be full, I will no longer go to school, I will just pick up empty cans and then sell.’’  Adna was surprised, only three pages were left.  Adna realized later, the two teachers in preparatory class were different.  One was very kind and she handled Lex in the first semester in the morning.  The next semester, Lex must attend another teacher in the afternoon class. It was  5 months in the morning and then 5 months in the afternoon classes.  The other teacher was not kind.  Lex saw how she scolded other students.  The first teacher whom Lex liked was quite similar with her nursery teacher in her school before.  The afternoon teacher was the reason why Lex no longer want to go to school, but in her mind she needs to write all the pages in her notebook before she stops going to school.

Adna went to see the teacher and they discussed about Lex intention of not going to school anymore.  The teacher started to smile with Adna during their conversation.  The teacher adjusted to Lex, she started to show kindness to other students.  She had no problem with Lex, a behaved student and always did whatever tasks she assigned her to do specially copying notes from the blackboard.  Azia who turned 4 years old, was enrolled in the school where Lex studied as a nursery student.. Her green skirt with a white blouse with a tiny ribbon was her school uniform which complimented her very fair complexion.  Lex had a blue skirt and white blouse and a necktie, which really made her look so neat and very attractive.  Al and Adna stayed with Azia in school and then after class they would pick up Lex from her school so near Azia’s school.  All of them just ride Al’s motorcycle in going home which took them five minutes.  Of course, they were wearing helmets on their head.  Azia in front of Al, Lex at his back then Adna at the back of Lex.  The two children had fun riding the motorcycle with their parents.  When they reached home, Adna just checked their assignments and told the kids just to play or watch television.  ‘’No need to study, you spent long hours in school, all you need to do is play and enjoy’’, Adna  told them.  After eating, they played games or watched cartoon shows on television.  Papa Mar and Aunt Felip enjoyed watching the two girls so close to each other.

0