Chapter 16
271 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was month of May 2001, when there were many visitors arrived from another country and they wanted to meet Adna.  They were  the relatives of Adna’s biological mother Liz.  It would be the first time that Adna would meet them.  When they arrived, Adna knew that one of them is getting married and it will be held at the hometown of their paternal grandfather in one of the beautiful islands in the country.  They wanted Adna to attend the wedding, but Adna declined the invitation.  First, she cannot leave Aunt Felip who was already bedridden, and she cannot travel alone without her family.  They all left to travel to the island without Adna.  After the wedding they came back to Adna’s place.  It was their first acquaintance but the relationship seemed long time ago.  It was because they always talked about Adna and they really wanted to see her in person.  When Mom Rona was alive and Adna was still a baby, when she knew a relative of Liz  visited, she would keep Adna away from them.  They had no chance to go near to Adna when she was young.  Sometimes they could  just watched Adna from afar.

When they came back, they knew Lex was the representative of their place to compete with many others for the May festivity in the church.  It was a money contest,  the highest amount during the counting would win.  In the first counting, Lex won but in the second counting, another candidate had the highest amount but so little difference with Lex gathered money.    One of Adna’s relatives brought Lex to the mall and bought her the most expensive gown matched with a beautiful pair of sandals with high heels.  The sandals were designed with  glittering stones which could really attract someone who would see it.  Lex gown was  also designed beautifully and it had a shawl..  Though Lex was only second to the winner, but she was more stunning than her.  It was also the first time that Lex had a heavy make up and her hair was well done.  The priest said to Azia, ‘’it will be your turn next year’.  Azia replied, ‘’no, I don’t like to wear sandals with high heels.’’  At the end of June, the older sister of  Adna’s biological mother arrived with her husband who  had  different nationality.  He was a merchant seaman.  Adna welcomed her aunt and uncle, they gave presents to everyone in the family specially Lex, Azia and Al the second.   Adna’s aunt told  Al that her uncles in  the island longed to see Adna.  They were teachers there and they kept asking when they could see Adna.  As Adna  was afraid to travel by ship, afraid of being drowned like what happened when Uncle Mike and Adna had swimming on the beach, Adna could have drowned if she was not able to hold on to the short pants of Uncle Mike.  The older sister of Liz , asked Adna to go with her and purchase a plane ticket.  Adna insisted that it should be a two way ticket that must be bought.  The two way tickets were bought for the three of them, Adna, her aunt, and the husband of her aunt.  

It was the first time for Adna to travel without her family, but she was compelled to do so because of the last wish of her maternal relatives in the distant island.j  Adna was sitting at the back of the pilot.  It was just a 19 seater plane,  and Adna was sitting near the window of the plane.  She was amazed to see the clouds which was like cottons.  Then looking down the houses were already like matchboxes.  Adna in her mind, ‘’God please if this plane would crash, not in the middle of the sea, I don’t know how to swim.  Just at the land where there are trees which could catch the plane when it falls.’’  When she looked down to the sea, she would think maybe those are sharks, but later on she realized those were only small boats.   When they arrived at the airport, someone had been waiting for them with a vehicle.  The place was so nice with beautiful beaches passed by.  When they arrived at  the house who will host them, Adna knew the wife was a first degree cousin of her biological mom, and her husband who was  a lawyer holds a high position in the government.  Their garden was well landscaped, and with their glass walls, it is a garden view from inside the house.  Adna could not believe how they prepared their food for every meal.  Adna was forced to eat plenty.  If at home, Adna would just buy two large fried chickens enough already for Al, Adna, Aunt Felip, Lex, Azia, Al the second and the nanny, but in the house where they stayed, one large fried chicken is good for one person only.  Every twenty minutes, many  foods were served by their chef, and Adna already complained how she could consume it all.  Adna said to herself, “I helped so many hungry people and I know that hunger is a big problem, but here I am with a big problem on how to consume my share of food.’’  Few days after, Adna noticed she could not fit her pants.  She gained weight.  It was a nice tour of the island, a small island where it takes only half day to see the entire island as a small province.  Adna had seen and experienced bathing at the cold spring, hot spring and also had been able to climb part of an inactive volcano.  The volcano erupted already long time ago.

There was a family reunion there and Adna had met the old relatives there, all retired teachers.  One said to Adna,’’I am ready to die now that I’ve seen you.’’  Adna was so touched with what he said..  Time to say goodbye, Adna had to go home to her family.  The husband of  Adna’s aunt noticed how Adna missed her family.  He said, ‘’I have never seen Adna’s smile here, it seems like where one goes everybody follows.’’  He told his wife, “we’ve been here for days but it seemed two years for Adna.’’  All the time Adna was keeping the plane tickets.  She was ready to go home.  At the airport, they weighed each passenger.  Adna gained  10 lbs.  When they arrived home, everybody was so happy.  Since Al met Adna, they never miss a single day apart from each other, but due to the wish of old relatives, they respected them and made the greatest sacrifice.  It was too hard for Adna to leave her family.  She comes back home full of laughter, hugs and kisses.  She missed Aunt Felip so much too. ‘’ Home sweet home, ’ Adna said.  In her prayer she thanked  God for bringing her back home with her true family.

0