Chapter 36
264 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Congratulations on the wedding anniversary of Al and Adna.  The children had bought ice cream for their parents.  First who bought ice cream was Al the second, then Lex also bought ice cream.  Through thick and thin Al and Adna had hold their hands.  They came from two different upbringings, in fact in their early marriage, Al had the difficulty adjusting to what the family of Adna had been used to.  Mama Rona  used to have bread and hot chocolate only for their breakfast while Al whose family had to go out early for work were used to eat heavy breakfast.  Adna was used to eating bread only in the morning, a basket full of bread since she was a child, bread  was  available during breakfast.  Al had to adjust, he needs to adapt what was the  norm of the family.  Few years later, Al had to eat bread first with hot chocolate, then when they both had early work and the children were going to school bringing lunch box, Al had to cook the rice in the rice cooker, Adna wakes up a bit late than Al.    For over three decades now, life has been full of ups and downs but it is the friendship which holds the strong foundation of their married life.  They also have differences in their principles but it seems Adna has to do the lead, Al would just  follow.  Sometimes, Adna also followed Al but she has the character of getting what she wants.  She was used to it when she was a child, when she wanted a big television set, she expressed to Mom Rona that she would jump off the bridge if she could not have what she likes.  Mom Rona and Papa Mar always give to Adna what she wanted.  When Adna walked with Papa Mar on the bridge for exercise, she told Papa Mar, ‘’I want to have a pair of rubber shoes.’’  Papa Mar listened to her and gave her a nice pair of rubber shoes.  When Mom Rona went to buy tobaccos and Adna was with her, Adna who had a glance with a beautiful pair of sandals, then she asked Mom Rona to buy the pair of sandals.  When her foot was run by the wheels of a motorcycle, Adna just told to herself, ‘’i have a new pair of sandals, no pain, no pain.’’  She did not even tell Mom Rona about it.  When they arrived, she just showed to Aunt Felip, Aunt Feliz, Uncle Mike and Papa Mar her newly bought pair of sandals.  That is Adna’s character and Al who always witness how Adna was being loved by all of them, could not resist also if Adna would like something and her wish is always Al’s command.

When Al and Adna were still sweethearts, they went to watch movies, many times in their entire relationship.  When they got married, Adna knew, he just followed what Adna like but when they were married, Al already insisted the type of movie he wants.  What Adna loved the most about Al is when they were in the University, Al would always pick up Adna from school.  When Adna also was working, he also was there all the time to keep Adna safe as Papa Mar and the rest of the family’s concern was Adna’s safety.  Everytime Adna had health problem, Al truly took care of her.  As if the love of Mom Rona, Papa Mar, Aunts and uncle Mike and Uncle Rom had been passed on to Al.

Yesterday, Adna had the chance to talk through telephone, the younger son of Uncle Rom.  He asked Adna, ‘’how have you been?’’  Adna told him,’’ I just finished my last work as a missionary, I had legal clinic and there were many lawyers who joined, and I wanted to invite you too but you were not in your office when I called.’’  He told Adna that the house where Uncle Rom was brought as it was their ancestral house was already destroyed as it was a haunted house.  He told also that some properties also had been sold and divided among his siblings, but the lot where the old house was built remained for him and her older brother also a lawyer and a younger brother who now resides in the U.S.  Adna was a bit sad, she was thinking why they do not have sentimental value on the properties of their parents and have it divided among them, why it has to sold to someone else and choose money instead.  During the feast at Adna’s chapel also, a man came in and asked permission from Adna who was cleaning the chapel if he could get inside and pray.  Adna told him, ‘’yes.’’  Then Adna recognized him as the older brother of her classmate in the elementary.  Adna had the chance to visit their house when they were young because their house was not far from Adna’s house.  Then he said, ‘’yes, i am the older brother but we sold our place, the house and lot  because we are many and it is easy to divide money.’’  Another friend also whose husband is a doctor, had met Adna during her birthday while waiting for Lex at a fast food restaurant, she also told Adna that the property of her husband’s parents were all sold because his sisters abroad want to get their share and they want it in cash.  Adna just don’t understand, the parents had worked hard to gather those properties for their children to keep, but they would instead convert it into cash.  If that would be the case, the parents would just have money for all of them as they are not interested to keep the legacy poured out with much effort and love.  It will just be passed on to the new owner, instead of passing it to the next generations of the family.  No sentimental value at all.

When Adna testified in court against his co-owner whose name was just added to make the transfer of rights to Adna of the properties of Papa Mar, Mom Rona, Uncle Mike and Aunt Feliz, valid, Adna proved in court with the help of a handwriting expert that her signatures were forged.  All the properties were already sold without the knowledge and consent of Adna but in the document Adn’s name appeared there as one of the vendors.  She told the judge that those properties were not meant to be sold, it must be passed on to the next generation.  It was also the wish of Mom Rona to have works of charity, possibly a home for the aged all for free.  It would be a simple living but a happy one.  Adna tried her best to do the desire of  Mom Rona, in fact when the head priest (monsignor) visited Adna’s garden to see the banana plants bearing fruits, Adna pointed to a space and told the monsignor, ‘’ I will build a home for the aged in that area and when you are old you can live here.’’

Adna also send a birthday message to Al’s older sister.  She is out of the country to visit her older son and his family.  It is the thought that counts, she has almost everything so no need for Adna and Al to send her a material gift.  

0