Chapter 16 – Nightmares…
1.1k 9 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yesterday I got my first patron ever!!! Super awesome!! Thanks Beldium, I will never forget you.

The plot is up and running. With luck David doesn't die and he finally sees the truth of Nightmare realm.

Enjoy the chapter!!

………………………

Mission Completed…

Giving out rewards

8000 points [Main mission]

Additional rewards:

3500/5000 points [Side objectives]

Bonus Reward:

None

………………………

‘That’s a lot of points. Too bad I couldn’t get all side objectives done.’

The ‘Dragon’ was vanquished but the number of powerful women David bedded was only one. It was good enough for David at the moment. Things were getting a little too rough for David towards the end of the mission.

………………………

Notice:

User has exceeded the qualifications to attempt the [Nightmare mission].

7 Day grace period has been nulled.

Please accept the [Nightmare Mission] within the next 24 hours.

………………………

David sighed at the notice. The grace period was the realm’s way of granting the people time to prep for the mission but David’s access to the [Dream] allowed him to exceed the realm’s expectation.

Completing the first [Nightmare mission] was the minimum required to live in the [Nightmare realm]. Doing so would allow the users to leave their rooms and visit the realm. If they failed they were erased. A simple method to erase the weaklings.

Laying on the bed he bought for a 100 points David drowned himself in his thoughts,

‘I wonder what the natives of the Nightmare realm are like, did they die like me and transmigrate like me…?’

It shouldn’t be the case as David figured his case was a unique one. The realm itself told him his case was unique and differed from the ‘native’ population. The only way to find out was to complete the mission and get access to the actual [Nightmare realm].

While not physically exhausted David was mentally drained so he decided to take a nap before the next mission. Something he regretted doing,

“SHUT UP!!”

David woke up abruptly and yelled at the air. Taking deep breaths he put his hands on his head and calmed himself.

He should have known better than to allow the stupid arm to possess him, he should have been more patient and found another way to complete the mission. The whispers tormented him in his sleep whispering in a forgotten tongue, trying to drag him into madness.

For now they were an annoyance but in the future they may become an irreversible problem. David wasn’t weak minded by any means but when it came to supernatural bullshit even the strongest minds had to tread carefully lest they be twisted into monsters.

David was familiar with enough supernatural novels to know where this was going, it was only a matter of time before the whispers turned into visions of eldritch monstrosities.

Luckily for David not all was lost. Most could only succumb to the darkness and slowly be corrupted but David had the [Nightmare shop]. There would surely be something in the shop that could stop the eldritch dimension from influencing David.

‘Damn it, looks I have to prioritise solving this problem first before buying things for the mission.’

Browsing through the shop David focussed on finding abilities rather than items to help with his predicament. An ability would have more direct effects and couldn’t be lost like items.

………………………

Shop

Buddha’s Light – 3000 pts

Allow user to channel the power of the ancient Buddha’s.

‘The Light touches all.’

Warning: The Buddhist light can influence the user…

.

.

………………………

‘That’s a no for me…’

David already made the mistake of ignoring the [Nightmare realm]’s warning about the [Eldritch arm] and he wasn’t about to make the same mistake. The warning stated that the ‘Light’ sought to convert all that it ‘shined’ upon, which was very clearly mind control.

One extradimensional nuisance was enough and so David browsed some more before a particular ability caught his eye.

………………………

Shop

Spirit Animal – 7000 pts [4000 points as user has title “Touched by @&(*)&(%(* “]

The spirit animal will guide the host. It will protect the host from other spiritual entities and guard against evil.

Note: Spirit Animal’s form is based on the user.

.

.

………………………

Reading the rest of the info provided solidified David’s decision to buy this ability. At first glance the [Spirit Animal] might look like a spirit contract or summon but in fact it was actually an ability. [Spirit Animal] allowed the user to form their very own spirit animal borne from the user’s spirit.

He didn’t need protection from spiritual entities as the cause of all his problems the [Eldritch arm] could in theory harm spiritual entities. [Spirit Animal]’s ability to guard its user from evil was what David valued the most. While it may sound simple the [Nightmare realm] offered extensive information on the threats [Spirit Animal] could handle some of which included demonic influences and dream monsters etc.

This meant that in theory [Spirit Animal] could stop the whispers and prevent further problems from arising. David bought the ability and tested it out.

“I choose you [Spirit Animal].”

A bright glow shined out as David felt positive emotions flood his mind. Happiness and joy spread as the bright glow receded to reveal,

“A monkey? What?”

A small monkey made up of blue spirit energy floated in front of David. He was honestly expecting a badass wolf or even a bird but a monkey was completely unexpected,

“Well at least you look cute.”

David watched as the little monkey ran around the room making cute ‘ooh ahhh’ noises. While still embarrassed about not having a cool spirit animal David was nonetheless satisfied with his purchase.

Just by calling upon his [Spirit Animal] feelings of positivity spread through him and the stress that was present since the day the [Eldritch arm] possessed him faded away. One’s mentality was the key to handling any situation.

Most demonic entities only managed to succeed in corrupting souls by influencing them with negative emotions such as fear and anger. It was why dealing with ‘Inner heart demons’ was so important in the cultivation novels David used to read.

Hopefully the next time David slept he wouldn’t have to worry about nightmares. As the little monkey jumped around the room David looked for other abilities. The upcoming mission wouldn’t be anything like the [Dreams] which he could manipulate.

For all David knew, the mission would consist of him jumping of cliffs and diving into armies.

‘I should pick out a new weapon. I miss my axe.’

Unfortunately one of the disadvantages of the [Dream] was being unable to bring out any of the items he obtained during the mission. This was not be the case for [Nightmare missions].

David browsed for a large weapon and found several promising selections.

………………………

Shop

Flame Daggers – 300 pts

Steel Daggers enchanted with flame runes. 20 % chance of burning the enemy.

Carzic Great sword – 1000 pts

A mighty sword forged by a famed Orc blacksmith. Excellent for decimating your opponents.

.

.

.

Loraelian Kitchen Knife – 2000 pts

A knife used by Loraelians to chop ingredients. Made from an extremely durable stone.

………………………

‘Loraelians must have been titans or something.’

The ‘knife’ was slightly bigger than the Giant axe David had in his previous mission. It was made from an extremely dense stone like material and had quite the sharp edge. No doubt the only reason it didn’t cost higher was because it was a ‘kitchen’ knife.

After buying the knife David went on to buy a crucial piece of equipment, the inventory when he remembered a crucial piece of information.

“If I remember correctly all members of [Nightmare realm] have their own personal storage according to guide. Would I be entitled to one as well?”

………………………

As the user is still not an official member of the [Nightmare Realm] this benefit is not provided.

Please complete your first mission to gain access to your personal storage.

………………………

‘Well that’s disappointing.’

David didn’t want to waste points on a bag of carrying just for one mission but did so in the end. He consoled himself as he could always get more points from the [Dream].

………………………

Shop

Holding bag – 5000 points [3500 points as user has title “Touched by @&(*)&(%(* “]

The Holding bag has a space of 3 cubic meters.

………………………

Not only could he store the giant knife in the bag, it would lighten his load in the upcoming mission. Now David wouldn’t have to worry about being burdened when running away from whatever horror would come.

With the remaining points David wanted to find an ability to make up for his physical limitations. He couldn’t rely on the weak boosts provided by [Enhanced Virility] in the upcoming mission. His choices were limited too since he only had 2000 points left.

He didn’t regret his purchases though as they were ‘essentials’. David took his time going through the shop and realised that most of the good abilities were too expensive and the weaker ones were simply not worth it at the moment.

Continuing his search, after nearly 2 hours David found a rather special ability.

………………………

Shop

Spirit Channelling – 1500 Points

A unique art that allows user to channel their inner spirit to empower themselves.

Requirements: High Tier Spiritual Strength or spirits.

.

.

………………………

David didn’t have strong spiritual skills but he did have the perfect substitute, his very own [Spirit Animal]. According to the [Nightmare Shop] the [Spirit Channelling] and [Spirit Animal] were compatible.

Although David didn’t know how much of a boost the small monkey would give as of now, the skill had a lot of room for growth. As his [Spirit Animal] grew stronger so would the power he would gain.

‘A monkey should logically give a boost to agility… right?’

The skill would could be of further use in the future as well so David ended up buying the skill and tested it out.

Activating the skill, David watched the little monkey turn into a glowing blue spirit orb and fly inside his head. A solid feeling of strength filled his body as jumped around testing the enhancement

David wasn’t just stronger, he was also quite agile and had a better sense of balance. His five senses were also boosted by the [Spirit Channelling]. All in all it was much better than David expected,

‘Looks the little guy is stronger than he looks, as expected of my spirit animal.’

He played around with his abilities for a while before settling down and bringing out his arm. David had one other reason why he bought [Spirit Channelling], theoretically he could ‘channel’ his [Eldritch arm].

The arm was much stronger than his [Spirit Animal] and would offer a greater boost to his strength.

‘Better not to risk it. I should get a bit stronger before trying anything with arm.’

For a hot minute, David did think about buying magic related abilities or at the very least an ability that allowed him to use mana but he couldn’t bring himself to do so, especially when he knew he could learn it from others without using points.

David was confident that he would gain access to the mission world but since that didn’t happen he could only find another way. Maybe he would get lucky and find his way back to the small village using the [Dreams].

He knew it was unlikely though,

‘Mana should be a pretty common energy type.’

 There are plenty of other worlds out there that would allow him to learn the magic arts. As of now David laid most of his hopes on the [Eldritch arm]. It was his main offensive ability and it only grew stronger with use, if there were levels than his [Eldritch arm] was probably a level 10 from its initial level 1.

Of course the [Eldritch dimension]’s corrupting influence would increase as the arm grew stronger but he had counter measures in place so all would be well.

“Okay, let’s do this. I accept the mission.’

The room faded away and David was whisked off to a new world.

Don't worry. We will see the other worlds again. I have plans for them... 

...................................

Comments are appreciated and even if I don't reply cause I'm shy, I love reading them. Thank you very much.

Patreon is ahead of public release by 5 chapters.

PATREON(thank u for your support): 

https://www.patreon.com/infinitedreamswn

DISCORD: https://discord.gg/4HZnvSC

32