Chapter 12 – A Visit to the Library
44 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After school, Solomon began biking to the library.

Although he wasn't as hopeless as Tommy, he didn't do very well on yesterday's quiz.

His math grade was slipping dangerously close to a C.

Solomon wanted to abstain from Vr today and just focus on his studies. At the library, he would be able to accomplish his studies without the temptation of Vr. Sort of.

Solomon was planning on using a Vr set at the library.

At the library, there were Vr sets that you could rent to study within a time distorted space. This could help a person study at a much faster pace. It was also disconnected from many programs that could tempt you away from your studies.

Why didn't people just learn in the Vr space if they had such useful tools? Why did students continue dragging themselves to schools?

There were a couple reasons for this.

It was expensive. Not everyone could afford a Vr set. There were also people like Solomon's parents who abstained from Vr.

The government also wanted the youths to be used to travelling outside. If they grew up without having the need to go outside, they would eventually grow into a generation of NEETs. The nation would soon meet its collapse once these shut-ins took over.

The only reason why students were exempt from the mandatory exercise was because they were already forced to go to school. Take school away, and you have a bunch of couch potatoes.

A society of lazy, weak recluses was something to be avoided, thus physical schools were still necessary.

Only a select few would enjoy an entirely Vr education. Such people would usually be rich descendants who could afford Vr sets and had social statuses that kept them away from the NEET life.

Solomon sighed.

Why couldn't he be one of those young masters who could spend their days in Vr?


After a twenty minute bike ride, Solomon arrived at a large building with a modern style.

There were a total of three floors to this library and it was wide enough to fit multiple houses inside.

It was truly a giant when compared to other buildings.

Solomon walked through the automatic doors and navigated around the building.

The second and third floors were empty within the middle, allowing a person to see the roof of the library from the first floor. Because of this design, a person could easily see each of the sections after walking into the building.

There were shelves and shelves of books as well as a lounge with multiple games. Rather than checking out the building, Solomon walked directly toward the Vr Sets on the second floor.

There were multiple sofas and beds for people to use the Vr equipment. The place was packed and there was easily fifty people.

As he saw the strange scene of more than four dozen people hooked up to Vr equipment, he heard some irritated grumbling by his side.

"Look at these people! Youths these days spend all their time on these things! What happened to playing outside or holding group study sessions at home?! Bah! Society is gonna collapse because of this Vr crap! Don't turn out like them, okay kid?"

The speaker was a hunched back old man. If the man had proper posture, he could probably be a head taller than Solomon, but because of his bad posture, he only reached Solomon's shoulders. Under the man's glasses many wrinkles could be seen on his face. A long, fluffy, white beard grew from his face. 

Solomon gave a quick glance at the old man. He was embarrassed because he was one of the youths this man was talking about. Solomon quickly moved away from the old man to set himself up.

Solomon found a vacant bed and got ready to use it.

After paying for thirty minutes, an hour within the Vr, Solomon hastily dove into the world of Vr. Each second of the precious Vr renting was precious and Solomon didn't want to waste a single moment!

Solomon suddenly found himself in the library's Hub World.

Instead of the blank white space he was used to, the Hub World was a complete replica of the library. Solomon opened the messages tab and was shown how much longer he had with his rented time.

Solomon then tried to access the internet. He was restricted only to government websites and a select few programs that were proven to be educational.

This Vr space prevented Solomon from performing his usual Vr habits.

It was completely void of human interaction! 

It was a perfect place for him to study!

Solomon then received a notification asking if he wanted to join a group lobby.

Obviously he rejected the invitation.

"I came to study, not to meet with people! Those normies will drag me away from my original purpose!"

Maybe it was because this Vr space did not allow you to become anonymous and was modeled on a real life setting, but Solomon's introversion was still acting up despite being in the world of Vr.

Solomon sat in the Vr space for twenty minutes and skimmed through a couple books. After a while, he slumped down on a couch.

"I'm bored...."

Solomon resorted to reading comics and novels half way through. There was a messy pile of books all around him.

Solomon opened the timer and found he still had thirty minutes left.

"This is torture..... I don't want to waste the time in this space though.... Maybe I really should find a lobby to join?"

0