Chapter 160: Past Mistakes
3.1k 14 124
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 160: Past Mistakes

 

  The wedding guests left the small temple and went to the reception at the Merry Crescent tavern. The tavern’s tables were already covered in all sorts of different foods and various imported alcoholic drinks, courtesy of Nora Azol and her House’s breweries.

  Feli had hired one of her favorite minstrel groups to play music. Rhian led the whole band with her melodic voice. The band had already gathered a crowd, with Rhian’s stablehand Gwen at the very front.

  Stryg sat at a table in the center of the tavern, drinking against the vampire Clypeus Gale and the tall orc Kegrog. Several regular tavern patrons shouted in cheers, eager to see if the undefeated Stryg would finally lose in a drinking match.

  Feli sat next to her husband speaking with several of the guests who came by to give their congratulations and offer their wedding gifts.

  “Thank you for coming, sir Veres,” Feli bowed politely.

  “Please, just Callum or Cal if you prefer,” he bowed his head. “Stryg is a lucky man to have such a wonderful bride. I wish you both the best.”

  “To be complemented by a Veres, I am honored,” Feli smiled wide.

  “I’ll take your word for it,” Callum smiled wryly.

  Callum stepped aside for two of his maids, one carried a chest, the other a bouquet of flowers.

  Callum gestured at the objects, “Just a few gifts for the newly married couple. Inside the chest, you will find a set of tableware crafted by one of Hollow Shade’s greatest artisans, along with a selection of exquisite wines.”

  The maid opened the chest and revealed the golden-lined chalices and plates with intricate designs.

  “Wow, this is incredible! I don’t know what to say,” Feli’s chestnut eyes widened in awe.

  “And this one is just for you,” Callum presented her with the flowers. “A bouquet of blue roses from the Northern Lands.”

  “They’re beautiful, thank you,” Feli closed her eyes and took in a deep breath of the flowers.

  “My pleasure, anything for family,” Callum nodded.

  “Family?” Feli cocked her head to the side.

  “Stryg is practically like a brother to me, that makes us family does it not?” Callum placed a finger to his chin.

  “Ah, I suppose it does,” Feli laughed awkwardly. “I didn’t realize you two were so close.”

  “To be honest, I don’t think Stryg does either,” Callum winked.

  Feli glanced at Stryg taunting Clypeus from across the table. “It’s still a little hard to wrap my mind around the fact that Stryg is close with aristocrats of Great Houses, let alone Ruling Families like Noir and Veres.”

  “You’ll get used to it,” Callum said.

  From the bar Loh watched her small apprentice chug down mug after mug of expensive alcohol.

  “He seems to be having fun,” Loh smiled softly.

  “Yeah, it reminds me of your mom’s parties,” Tauri Katag sat next to her.

  “Did you just compare this little Commoner District tavern to the grand mansion of House Noir?” Loh raised her eyebrow.

  “Not the place, obviously. I meant the vibe, it feels like one of Dolores Noir’s parties. Everyone is happy, plus there is alcohol everywhere.”

  “Now that sounds like my mom,” Loh chuckled.

  “I remember this one-time Aizel challenged my dad to a drinking contest,” Tauri smiled in reminiscence.

  “Aizel challenged Lord Krall to a drinking match?” Loh’s jaw dropped.

  “Well, it wasn’t much of a match. Aizel stood no chance, but damn did he give the people a show. The way he talked with such swagger,” Tauri laughed. “Aizel knew he couldn’t win, but he did it anyway. He wanted to entertain, make others happy.”

  Or he just wanted to be the center of attention, Loh thought bitterly.

  “Yeah, well, I didn’t get around to many parties back then,” Loh muttered.

  Tauri winced, “Sorry, I didn’t mean to sound inconsiderate. I know your life wasn’t easy back then. I can only imagine what hellish training your grandfather put you through.”

  “Don’t worry about that,” Loh sighed. “Besides, Aizel used to drink every night with Vayu Glaz back when we were in the army. I got to see Aizel puke his guts more than enough times.”

  “He really was bad with alcohol,” Tauri giggled.

  “Aizel was bad with a lot of things,” Loh rolled her eyes.

  “But he was the kindest aristocrat I have ever met. I wonder what that says about our people,” Tauri sipped her drink.

  Loh stared at her hands, “Yeah, me too…”

~~~

6 years ago…

 

  Aizel Noir sat next to the other military officers around the stratagem table inside the general’s tent. His younger sister Loh, general and commander of House Noir’s northern army, sat at the head of the table rattling off commands.

  “Our soldiers will rendezvous with the southern army over here,” Loh pointed to a map of Dusk Valley laid out on the table. “Together, we will be able to secure a safe route for the diplomats of Undergrowth and Hollow Shade. If all goes well, the two Great Cities will finally reestablish the trade treaties.”

  “We could recreate a functioning trade route,” Captain Vayu Glaz, second in command, nodded.

  “Hollow Shade has been sorely lacking Undergrowth’s resources. Imagine if we could actually have a steady supply of timber again?” A lieutenant said with a hopeful tone.

  Aizel nodded in agreement. 

  After Hollow Shade’s civil war two centuries ago, the city’s sole ruling family, House Thorn, had been forced to flee Hollow Shade in defeat. The family went back to their roots in Undergrowth. Once there House Thorn managed to destroy whatever treaties the two Great Cities had left.

  The loss of those treaties was evident. Hollow Shade’s Commoner District had originally been built with wood from Glimmer Grove, the forest surrounding Undergrowth. Now the Commoner District was in pitiful conditions, with many houses falling apart. There was no wood to repair the buildings, nor did the commoners have enough money to build houses out of stone.

  “The commoners will be very happy,” Aizel said.

  “Commoners? We aren’t doing this for them,” the lieutenant laughed.

  Several of the officers joined in laughter. 

  Aizel felt his cheeks grow hot.

  Loh sighed, “Have some class, you’re soldiers, not children.”

  The laughter died instantly and the officers sat up straight.

  Aizel sent a small smile to Loh as thanks. She ignored him.

  Vayu cleared his throat, “It’s doubtful Undergrowth will agree to large shipments of timber from the get-go. It’ll probably take decades before timber becomes prevalent enough that commoners will be able to afford any.”

  “Oh, I see…” Aizel muttered.

  “Nonetheless, it is imperative that we secure the route for the diplomats. The Valley tribes have caught news of the potential treaty. The savages are trying to stop it no matter the cost. These past few weeks the tribes have been raiding whatever caravans come across this entire area,” Loh ran her hand across the map.

  “We’ll have to move soon if we wish to arrive at the rendezvous on time,” Vayu added.

  “Exactly. We’ll have the men start packing their tents immediately, we’ll head out when the sun sets,” Loh said.

  “Sunset? But, it’ll be dark? Isn’t that more dangerous? Plus, the men will be tired. Shouldn’t we wait until morning?” Aizel asked.

  “Gods, you really don’t know anything,” Loh muttered under her breath.

  “The Valley tribes hold the sun sacred, they do not launch any attacks at night. It’s true our men will be tired, but it is much safer to move in the dark,” Vayu explained politely.

  “I see,” Aizel nodded. “Sorry, general. I’ll try to keep up.”

  “Sure,” Loh sighed. “Officers, you all know your roles, I expect you to have the camp cleared by nightfall.”

  “Yes, general!” The officers said in unison.

  A messenger barged into the tent. He saluted, “General!”

  “What is it?” Loh asked.

  “Our scouts have just returned. They spotted a caravan, ten leagues north of here.”

  “Is it armed?”

  “Negative. It seems to be a small caravan consisting of only a few wagons. Our best guess is they are families from a nearby village trying to escape the ongoing raids,” the scout explained.

  Loh tapped the table in thought, “Hmm, are they headed this way?”

  “It does not seem so,” the scout shook his head.

  “So long as they don’t come this way we’ll ignore them,” Loh decided.

  “Wait, we’re just going to leave them? But aren’t we moving the army?” Aizel asked.

  “I fail to see your point,” Loh narrowed her eyes.

  “Aren’t there hundreds of raiders among the nearby hills? The only reason those raiders haven’t come close is because our army is here. The moment we leave, the raiders will swarm back here. That caravan and those people will be in danger,” Aizel said.

  “And? They aren’t a part of Hollow Shade. Their safety is not our concern,” Loh said coldly.

  “Perhaps, but the villages of Dusk Valley give tribute to Hollow Shade so that when the time comes we protect them. If we leave now we are basically letting innocent villagers die,” Aizel argued.

  Loh frowned.

  “Aizel, what would you have us do?” Vayu asked calmly.

  “Send the scouts back out and bring the caravan here. There are only a few wagons, it shouldn’t be very difficult. We’ll put them under our protection and they can travel with us until we are near a safer location.”

  “Ignoring the fact that this caravan could be a trap, bringing the caravan here would take precious time. There are only a few hours before nightfall, we need to move quickly if we are to reach the rendezvous with the southern army. A bunch of villagers and their wagons won’t be able to keep up with our quick pace, nor can we wait for them,” Vayu said.

  Aizel furrowed his brow, “That’s… Well, couldn't we leave one of our battalions behind to keep the caravan safe then?”

  “You want us to split our army? Weaken our battle potential? Risk the failure of our mission? Over a couple of random villagers?” Loh said incredulously.

  “That’s not what I meant,” Aizel’s voice cracked.

  “Everyone out, I have words to share with my brother,” Loh glared at him.

  The officers and the scout nodded and got up to leave.

  “Not you, Vayu. You stay,” Loh said.

  “...Yes, general,” Vayu nodded and sat back down.

  Aizel swallowed, the tent suddenly felt very small.

  Loh clasped her hands together, “You wanted to leave this army because I wasn’t teaching you the way our military works, I wasn’t giving you enough responsibility. I also wanted you to go. But our mutual friend, Vayu, here, advised me against it. He wanted me to give you a chance. So, I let you into my war council, and all you can do is disagree with my plans on the basis of ignorant foolery.”

  Vayu winced, but stayed quiet.

  “I wouldn’t be so damn ignorant if you took a bit of time to teach me how this all worked like grandfather wanted,” Aizel frowned. “I’m not your enemy here, I’m your brother, I only want to help.” 

  “I was trying to teach you! Your job was just to stay quiet and listen to the war council. I know you’re used to parties back at home where you’re the center of attention, but here you could do to learn how to shut the fuck up once in a while!” Loh slammed her fist on the table.

  “...I only wanted to help those villagers,” Aizel whispered.

  “Ah, yes. Aizel wants to be the hero again? Save the day, huh?” Loh mocked.

  “No, I just don’t think it’s right to let innocents die.”

  Loh laughed bitterly, “Grow up, Aizel! Innocent people die all the time. Maybe you were too blind to see that back in the Villa District with all your pampered friends, but the real world is different.”

  Aizel clenched his fists.

  Vayu cleared his throat, “If I may?”

  Loh sighed and nodded.

  Vayu grabbed Aizel’s shoulder, “I understand where you are coming from, Aizel, I do. I don’t want those villagers to be killed either. But we have an obligation to the soldiers who have placed their lives in our hands. We cannot risk the lives of our soldiers over the lives of strangers. It’s awful, I know, but our army and mission come first.”

  “It doesn’t feel right,” Aizel gritted his teeth.

  Vayu’s teal eyes stared at him, “I know, but if our mission succeeds it will help improve the lives of thousands of people in Hollow Shade, including innocent commoner families. I know many aristocrats like to pretend it doesn’t exist, but we have a duty to help our people, and that duty comes before our personal feelings. Your grandfather knows that well.”

  Aizel took a long shuddering breath, “I understand. May I be excused, general?”

  “You're dismissed,” Loh ordered.

  Aizel got up and left without another word.

  “You’re too soft on him, he’ll never learn how to be a leader like that,” Loh said.

  “You could have been easier on him too, you know,” Vayu said.

  Loh burst into angry laughter, “Aizel only has to be out in the field for a few weeks. Soon he’ll go back to his luxurious mansion, a loving family, and a beautiful bride. He doesn’t have my sympathies.”

  “...He has your envy,” Vayu said softly.

  Loh rolled her eyes, “As if I would ever want to be a talentless halfwit.”

  “What about having the affection of Tauri Katag?”

  Loh felt a shiver run down her spine. “What did you just say?”

  “Loh, we may have become engaged recently, but I have cared about you for far longer. Like you, I had to go to all those aristocrats’ parties. I saw you, truly looked at you for who you were, even if you never cared to pass a glance at me.”

  Loh sighed, “Vayu, you’re one of my greatest friends, but I-”

  “It’s fine, I understand.”

  “No, I don’t think you do. I’m not attracted to-”

  “I know,” Vayu smiled weakly. “As I said, I’ve cared about you for a long time. I was always drawn to you at those parties. The only reason I never made my intentions clear was because I saw the way you looked at her.”

   Loh’s eyes widened, “You knew?”

  Vayu stood up and dusted off his pants, “Believe me, I understand what it’s like to have the love of your life love another. To not be able to change your own feelings for another no matter how much you try, I know how painful it is.”

  “Vayu…” Loh bit her lip.

  He grabbed her hand, “I know your heart belongs to Tauri and that will never change. You think that somehow dooms you, dooms us. It doesn’t have to. I know your grandfather will force you to marry a man to continue the family line.”

  He licked his lips, “So why not marry the one person who knows the truth and doesn’t care if you love another? Why not marry the one person who will stand by your side and love you no matter what?”

  Vayu’s voice grew taut, “You don’t have to give me your heart. I give you mine out of my own free will. I rather stand by your side as your friend for as long as I live, than lose you forever.”

  He gripped her hand tight, “You may think you are alone in all this, but I promise you, Loh Noir, you are not. I will not abandon you.”

  Vayu took a deep breath, “If you could find it in yourself to spare a glance at a captain of the northern army, a son of House Glaz, a guy who occasionally talks to animals... If you could truly see me, the way I see you, if only for a moment, that would be enough.”

  Loh stared at their hands, “I… can’t… I don’t know what to say.”

  Vayu let her hand go and stepped back, “You don’t have to say anything. I just wanted to let you know where I stand. If you’ll excuse me, I will begin getting my fire drake ready for travel.”

  “...You're dismissed,” Loh said quietly.

  Vayu bowed and left.

 

 

  https://discord.gg/uYqw7R6SKz

  If you liked the chapter please leave a like, if there is something else you are interested in knowing about the lore, or if you have any questions, remarks, or just want to say hi drop a comment below!

  Check out the glossary for more info on characters, lore, magic, and more!

124