Chapter 179: A Brief Moment of Bliss
3.3k 16 110
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 179: A Brief Moment of Bliss

 

  The young drow walked down the busy streets of the Commoner District with a spring to his step. The sun was shining bright and a cool wind passed through the crowds. He munched on a roasted fish he had bought at one of the markets. His family didn’t care much for the commoner food stalls, but he quite liked it.

  A young woman ran through the crowds. 

  He turned just in time to hear her yell, “Surprise!”

  She jumped on his back and wrapped her arms around his shoulders tightly. He stumbled, his feet tottered to the side, but he managed to find his footing.

  “That was dangerous,” he sighed in exasperation.

  “Oh, come on, Riri. What’s life without a bit of surprise?” Ismene nestled her jaw above his head.

  “I can’t see with your hair in my face,” Elzri smiled wryly.

  “You don’t have to see. All you need to do is give me a piggyback ride. I’ll take care of the rest. Onward, my loyal steed!” Ismene pointed her index finger to the sky.

  “Yes, oh brave mage!” Elzri laughed.

  “Gods, I love it when you do what I say,” she giggled.

  “Whatever,” he rolled his eyes and smirked. “Where to?”

  “Wherever we want.”

  “Well, in that case, I need to stop by my house to pick up a few things.”

  “That drafty mansion? You really don’t know how to take a girl out on a romantic date,” she pouted.

  “As much as I’d like to take my lovely girlfriend out on a date, there are still a few things I need to take care of before we leave Hollow Shade.”

  “Can’t it wait? I haven’t eaten breakfast and I’m starving.”

  Elzri passed her his roasted fish. “I’m afraid it can’t. I’ve already put it off for too long.”

  “We still have two weeks before our ship sets sail. What is so important that it can’t wait for a bit of breakfast?” Ismene said between bites.

  “...I need to tell my father about our plans.”

  “You haven’t told him yet!? Riri,” Ismene flicked his pointy ear.

  “Yeah, I know, I messed up. But you know how he can be,” Elzri sighed.

  “Look, no matter how cold or scary Lord Noir seems, he is your father, and he loves you. I’m sure he’ll understand if you explain yourself.”

  “Welp, I was wrong. You clearly don’t know how he can be.”

  “I’m gonna ignore that. What about your mom? Can’t she put in a good word for you?”

  “Hah! My father’s wives only take his side, it’s that simple.”

  “Hmm, maybe you can ask your siblings for help?”

  “Aiden and Esletha are too busy competing against each other in everything. Little Una would usually help, but she doesn’t want me to leave.”

  “I really hate seeing Aiden and Esletha fight,” Ismene whispered.

  “Yeah, me too,” Elzri sighed.

  “You know, you should really stop calling Una little, she’s already 18.”

  “She’s my baby sister and she’s still short. I’ll call her little till I die,” he grinned.

  “Or until she beats your ass with magic. I heard she tested very high in the chromatic identity test.”

  “That doesn’t mean she’ll beat me with magic,” he mumbled.

  “Riri, I love you, you know I do. But let’s face the facts. You're already 28 and you're still an adept.”

  “I’ll have you know that’s completely normal among magi.”

  “True, though not among Noir magi. Una will whoop your ass for sure,” she giggled.

  “You really think so? I think Una likes me too much.”

  “If you keep calling her little she definitely will. Don’t worry though, I’ll keep you safe from all the big bad magi,” Ismene kissed his cheek.

  “My hero,” Elzri smiled.

  She hopped off his back, “I should get going, I gotta do a bit of studying at the library.”

  “Wait, you’re not coming with me?”

  “To talk to Lord Noir? Gods, no. I’m not family, he’ll eat me alive. I’ll pray to Stjerne to give you luck though,” she winked.

  “You know I don’t believe in the gods,” he said wryly.

  “I know,” she kissed him and ran off.

  “Not family, huh?” Elzri muttered.

  He reached into his pocket and pulled out a golden ring, “Hopefully not for long.”

~~~

  Elzri knocked on the door of his father’s study, “May I come in?”

  “Enter,” came a deep voice from the other side.

  Elzri pushed the door open and bowed, “Hello, father. I wanted to tal- Una?”

  Lord Alastair Noir sat at his ornate desk as usual. Una sat across from him, wearing the traditional grey blouse and black skirt of the mage academy students.

  “Hi, Riri. How do I look?” Una stood up and spun in a circle.

  “The same as the last time I saw you with that uniform, this morning…”

  “The lighting is different in this room. I have to make sure it still works. Daddy doesn’t want to tell me,” Una placed her hands on her hips.

  “I don’t have time to waste with your childish games, Una. Leave,” Alastair said in a cold tone.

  “Fine, fine, I’m going,” Una groaned dramatically.

  “You look great,” Elzri whispered with a smile as she passed by him.

  Una’s blue eyes lit up with happiness, “I knew it! Oh, that reminds me, I’m officially starting school on Monday. Could you give my friends and me a personal tour of the campus?”

  “Uh, I don’t know, Una. I’m going to be busy these next few days and I would rather set the magic academy on fire than step back on its campus,” Elzri said.

  “Come on, please? My friends would be super impressed if I brought a full-fledged Noir mage to give us a tour,” Una said.

  “Then ask Aiden or Esletha, they are far more impressive than me.”

  “I did, but they both refused. You’re my last hope, Riri. Please?” 

  “I’m sorry, I can’t.”

  “Please, please, please? Pretty please!?” Una puffed her grey cheeks and stuck out her bottom quivering lip.

  “Ah, not this again. I won’t be broken, not this time. Wait, don’t make those puppy eyes. I said stop. Stooop it. Stop it. Sto- Ugh, fine,” Elzri sighed.

  “Thank you, Riri!” Una stood up on her tiptoes and kissed his cheek, “You’re the best.”

  Elzri pinched her grey cheeks and pulled them, “Just promise me to study hard at the academy, okay?”

  “I pwoomiishh.”

  A knock rang on the door. “I have brought the tea.”

  “Enter,” Alastair said.

  Elzri released Una as the door creaked open. A maid pushed in a cart with trays of snacks and tea. 

  “~Oooh, chocolate~” Una swiped up a couple of sweets from the tray.

  “Would you like some tea with those, young mistress?” The maid asked politely.

  “Nah, I hate that bitter stuff. I’m off, see ya later,” Una waved her goodbyes and skipped away in a bundle of energy.

  Elzri found himself smiling.

  “You’re too soft on her,” Alastair noted.

  “She’s just a kid. She deserves to have it easy for a little while longer,” Elzri said.

  “You really are too soft. It will be the death of you,” Alastair said.

  “Not this again,” Elzri sighed.

  Alastair patiently refrained from speaking as the maid served him tea.

  “Young master, would you like some too?” She asked, teapot in hand.

  “No, thank you. I already ate. I appreciate it though,” Elzri smiled.

  She blushed, “You are very welcome.”

  “That’ll be all, leave us,” Alastair narrowed his eyes.

  The maid quickly bowed and left the room.

  “And that’s why everyone is scared of you,” Elzri shook his head. “Tell me, does it ever get lonely? Everyone being terrified of you?”

  “Someday you will find fear is a very important tool to have in one’s arsenal. And yes… Being a Ruling House’s leader comes at great personal costs. Solitude is one of the easier ones.”

  Elzri sat in the chair across from his father, “What’s that supposed to mean?”

  “While you’ve been slacking off running around with that commoner girl, the state of the Realm has been deteriorating. There are whispers of House Thorn raising armies in Undergrowth for war against Hollow Shade.”

  “What? War? When did this happen?” Elzri frowned.

  “You have been gone for too long, your sight has shifted away from what is important,” Alastair sipped his tea.

  “Father, I am grateful for everything you have done for me, truly, but I will not upend my life over some rumors.”

  Alastair slammed his fist on the desk, “They are not rumors! House Glaz’s spies have confirmed Thorn’s armies. War is on the horizon. We must act very carefully if we are to avoid endless bloodshed. The rest of the city council and I have been discussing our choices. It’s chaos, half of the city lords already wish to go to war without considering how many of our own people we will lose.”

  Elzri swallowed, “I… I didn’t know.”

  Alastair stared into his son’s grey eyes, “Do you remember what happened 10 years ago, the day you took your chromatic identity test? I do. It was the day everything changed. We both discovered your true potential. I wanted to hail you as a prodigy. I wanted to name you my heir, right then and there, but you refused. You begged me to keep your talent a secret.”

  Elzri bit his lip, “Esletha and Aiden were already at each other’s throats trying to prove themselves to you, trying to prove who was more worthy of being your heir. I didn’t want to be a part of that.”

  “And yet neither of them possess even half your talent. Someone like you hasn’t appeared in the Noir family for centuries.”

  Elzri shook his head, “I already told you, I have no interest in becoming your heir. This may come as a surprise to you, but I quite like having my siblings not hate me. If anyone knew of my abilities it would ruin everything I’ve worked so hard to keep secret.”

  “I know... That’s why I have kept your secret all these years. I even hired master magi of all your chromatic colors to train you in secret, because I believed in you.”

  Elzri frowned, “And I held up my end of the bargain. I mastered everything they had to teach. I passed every test they threw at me, no matter how cruel or dangerous they were.”

  “And you became the powerful mage I knew you could be, my greatest pride,” Alastair smiled.

  “Father…”

  Alastair’s smile turned into a snarl, “But then you allowed all those third-rate magi to ridicule you and call you a talentless nitwit in public! I know why you hate the mage academy. I know how those students treated you.”

  “I don’t see how any of this matters anymore,” Elzri said quietly.

  Alastair shot to his feet, “You could have ended all of those bumbling idiots who dared mock you. Yet you didn’t. You kept your head down and pretended to be weak. Not because you were worried about what your siblings might think. No, you did it because you’re soft. Well, no longer! Our family and this city are in danger. I need you by my side, my son. I need you to be the arch-mage you try so hard to hide.”

  Elzri took a deep breath, “Father… I am leaving Hollow Shade.”

  Alastair froze, “What?”

  “In two weeks. I’m boarding a ship on the Dire River.”

  Alastair chuckled, yet there was no mirth in his eyes, “It’s that human girl, isn’t it?”

  “Her name is Ismene and I plan on marrying her, father.”

  Alastair gritted his teeth, “The only reason I tolerated you spending time with that wench is because she is a talented mage. I thought she might serve as an ally to House Noir in the future. I didn’t think you would actually marry her! Have you forgotten your engagement with Glaz’s daughter?”

  “I’m not interested in marrying some posh aristocrat. I love the commoner girl who is brave and isn’t afraid to speak her mind, no matter who is in the room. I love Ismene.”

  “Elzri, she is a human. There is no future between you two.”

  “We don’t need to have children to be happy.”

  “You need to have drow children to continue the family line!”

  “I’ve told you already I am not your heir. Make up your mind already and choose Aiden or Esletha as your successor. Let them continue the family line.”

  Alastair glared at him, “You really are set on turning your back on this family. Maybe I should name Una my heir? Perhaps she would serve me better than your siblings.”

  Elzri stood up in a flash, shadows crawled over the walls, the room darkened. His eyes turned cold, “Una is innocent. She does not want the Noir throne, nor should she be burdened with its cruel obligations. Keep her out of this or I swear I will do horrible things you never thought possible.”

  Alastair smiled, “There is the man I need. Good, perhaps there is hope for you after all.”

  The shadows disappeared as quickly as they came.

  “I am done with this conversation,” Elzri scowled and walked to the door.

  “You have no idea what you are doing, you stupid boy! If we go to war, the docks will be closed, and Hollow Shade will draft magi into its army. Do you think a commoner-born mage will be able to escape? Your precious Ismene will be thrown into the front lines and she will be killed along with all the rest.”

  “What?” Elzri stopped in front of the door.

  “How many thousands of innocents do you think will die if war breaks out between our two Great Cities? It is our responsibility as members of House Noir to keep the people safe from horrors like war. That responsibility comes above all else. You cannot run from reality, nor from your responsibility. I am working tirelessly to prevent this war, but I need your help if I am to sucee-”

  “Father?” Elzri turned back.

  Alastair clutched at his throat, blood trickled down his nose. He collapsed to the floor.

  “Father!” Elzri ran across the room.

  He pulled Alastair into his arms and began casting healing spells over him, “What’s happening? Father, what happened?!”

  Alastair glanced up at the desk, “T-the… tea.”

  Elzri’s face paled, “Poison.”

  Alastair coughed up blood.

  “Somebody help! Lord Noir has fallen! Somebody, please help!” Elzri screamed.

  Alastair’s eyes rolled up.

  “N-no, father! Stay with me, father!”

  The healing spells seeped into Alastair’s chest, his body did not seem to respond.

  “I’m not letting you go!” Elzri cried.

  White light flared across Elzri’s hands, Alastair grimaced, but he did not regain consciousness.

  “No, stay with me, please!” Elzri wailed.

  His father began to convulse.

~~~

  The middle-aged drow sat on the bench, legs crossed. His tired grey eyes observed the flowers and trees in the courtyard with an expert’s eye. When had been the last time he had worked on his own garden? He couldn’t recall.

  The cold evening wind blew through the nearby administration’s arches and past the courtyard. Elzri closed his eyes and breathed in the frosty air.

  The sharp sound of metal rasping against stone rattled through the garden. An elderly woman hobbled on the cobblestone path, ebony cane in hand.

  “This is a pleasant surprise, what brings you here?” Elzri smiled half-heartedly.

  “I could ask you the same thing, Riri,” Ismene muttered.

  She walked up to the bench and lightly smacked his legs. He scooted aside and made room for her. With a visible effort, she slowly sat down and sighed in relief.

  “You couldn’t sleep either, huh?” Ismene said quietly.

  “Not at all, I simply wanted to get some fresh air. It’s a beautiful night,” Elzri looked up at the full moon in all its glory.

  “You are a terrible liar,” she chuckled.

  “I don’t think so.”

  “You can’t sleep because you’re worried about the children too, eh?”

  “...Is it that obvious?” He sighed.

  “To me? Yes. To little Loh? Never.”

  “Let’s keep it that way,” Elzri closed his eyes and leaned back.

  “Plan on sleeping? Here?”

  “Why not? With you watching my back I have nothing to worry about.”

  “We aren’t children anymore, we always have things to worry about.”

  “Maybe so, but I didn’t let you sit here so you could regale me with the bitter truth.”

  “Forgive me, Lord Noir. Should I read you a bedtime story?” 

  “That’d be nice, yes.”

  “Bastard,” Ismene chuckled.

  Elzri’s lips curled.

  “Oh, look, everyone, he can smile.”

  Elzri kept his eyes closed, but his voice grew solemn, “...Do you ever wonder what might have happened if I had gone on that ship with you all those years ago?”

  “...Not anymore.”

  “...Yeah, me neither.”

  She nudged his arm, “Look, it’s that prissy, little vampire of yours coming this way.”

  Elzri cracked an eye open. His secretary, Lily, sprinted down the cobblestone steps while holding a slip of paper.

  “She’s running quite fast with those high heels, how does she do it? Maybe it’s all the ‘exercise’ she does for you?” Ismene guessed.

  “Please, be nice,” he sighed.

  “Of course,” Ismene smiled.

  Lily stumbled to a stop in front of them. Her face was bright red and she panted excessively. She bowed to Elzri, “My Lord.”

  “Lily,” he nodded.

  She bowed deeply to Ismene, “Tempest Arch-mage.”

  “Fuck off,” Ismene shooed her away.

  “I’m sorry for intruding,” Lily said breathlessly. “But Professor Vayu Glaz’s hawk flew to your office window’s sill a few moments ago. This note was wrapped around the bird’s leg. The outer inscription says it is for your eyes alone.”

  Lily handed Elzri the slip of paper. He unfolded the message and read its contents. His expression grew dark, the paper slipped out of his hands. He stood up and walked a few steps away.

  “Riri? What happened?” Ismene asked.

  Elzri tilted his head up. The cold breeze suddenly turned violent and the winds howled through the courtyard. A powerful gale wrapped around Elzri, he shot up into the sky and disappeared among the clouds.

  Lily’s eyes grew wide, “I didn’t know Lord Noir could fly like that. I didn’t know anyone could fly like that.”

  “I said fuck off.”

  “My apologies,” Lily bowed repeatedly and ran off.

  Ismene picked up the fallen note and skimmed through it. She crumpled the paper in her hands, “Dammit.”

 

 

  https://discord.gg/uYqw7R6SKz

  If you liked the chapter please leave a like, if there is something else you are interested in knowing about the lore, or if you have any questions, remarks, or just want to say hi drop a comment below!

  Check out the glossary for more info on characters, lore, magic, and more!

110