Chapter 256: The Welcome Party Part 3
2.5k 10 95
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 256: The Welcome Party Part 3

 

  Freya looked Plum up and down suspiciously, “And what do we call this super smart friend of yours?”

  “Oh, right,” Veronica Sientia snapped her fingers. “Ahem, Miss Freya and Mister Mysterious - who still has yet to tell me your name - I’d like you to meet Pl-”

  “Plumela…” Stryg said quietly. He straightened his back and steeled his gaze, “Plumela of Ebon Hollow.”

  Veronica glanced between Plum and Stryg, “Wait, do you two know each other?”

  “T-that’s…” Plum bit her lip. She slowly looked Stryg over and adjusted her glasses. “Is that… you? Stryg…?”

  “Obviously, who else would it be?” Stryg said matter-of-factly.

  “You’ve… changed,” Plum mumbled with wide eyes. She shook her head, “Wait, why are you here?”

  “Stryyyyg, who is this chick?” Freya muttered uneasily.

  “Plum, are you friends with this guy?” Veronica smiled.

  “...” Plum stared at Stryg, unsure of what to make of who the blue goblin had become.

  “I’ve never heard of this Ebon Hollow, what region does it lie in?” Damian asked Plum.

  “I wouldn’t know. I’m not a part of Ebon Hollow,” Plum said sternly.

  “Then why are you wearing that dress?” Stryg asked.

  Plum looked down and laughed scornfully, “It’s the only bit of fancy fabric I had to wear for this stupid party. And what makes you think you can just claim me because of a stupid dress?”

  “I didn’t mean it like that,” Stryg winced. “I just meant… there will always be a place for you in Ebon Hollow… if you want it.”

  “I don’t want it,” Plum said resolutely. “I left all of that behind the day I left Hollow Shade.”

  A glint of pain flashed through Stryg’s eyes, but it was quickly smothered away with a cold countenance. “You haven’t changed…”

  “If you mean that I still don’t want to join a tribe of murderers, than you’d be right,” Plum scowled. “Sorry to disappoint.”

  “You still think you can ignore the rest of the world, huh?” Stryg muttered. “Live by your own rules, as if the rules of this world will simply bow to your wishes.”

  Plum glared at him, “You’re wrong, I-”

  “I know!” Stryg snapped. “...I know I hurt you, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.” 

  “What do you know about right and wrong?” Plum said angrily.

  Stryg ran a trembling hand through his silver hair and laughed bitterly, “I told you, Plum, we all have pain. But unlike you, I have the conviction to see this to the end. I’m not going to look away and pretend the outside world doesn’t exist.”

  Stryg narrowed his eyes, “I will look my enemy straight in the eye and I will not hesitate. I will destroy any who stand in Ebon Hollow’s path and I will protect the ones close to me, no matter the cost.”

  Plum’s face paled. She had never been afraid of Stryg, not from the first day since she had met him. But as she stared at the stranger he had become a shiver ran down her spine.

  Damian stepped in between them, “Look, asshole, Plum said she wasn’t interested. What part of that do you not understand?”

  Stryg looked up at him, his pupils thin as razor blades. “Get out of my way.”

  Damian laughed, “Do you really think you can just waltz into this castle and just threaten whoever you like? Who the fuck do you think you are!?”

  “Someone who is going to remember your face,” Stryg said in a quiet, cold voice.

  The mirth and swagger in Damian’s expression were suddenly marred with a hint of doubt.

  “Why is this Parvus runt screaming like a deranged puppy in my home?” a powerful voice broke through the conversation. 

  The crowd of guests quickly parted as Lady Ophelia Thorn stepped forward. Her son, Calex, walked next to her. He held his hands behind his back and looked at the others with a pleasant smile. His mother held no such warmth in her icy blue eyes.

  “I asked you a question, boy,” Ophelia clicked her tongue.

  Damian blanched, he tried to speak but he couldn’t form a coherent word.

  Veronica cleared her throat and bowed deeply, “My deepest apologies, Lady Thorn. Damian has had too much to drink, he didn’t mean to-”

  “Silence, girl,” Ophelia said calmly, yet the word struck Veronica as if it had been a spell to the chest.

  Veronica bowed meekly and took a step back.

  “Tonight, you both have brought shame to your Great Houses with your stupid loud mouths,” Ophelia smiled malevontly. “And in front of our Hollow Shade guests, no less.” She narrowed her eyes at the sight of Stryg and Freya, “So this is Elzri’s best?”

  Freya swallowed hard, but tried to keep a straight posture. “I am F-”

  “I know who you are,” Ophelia said. “I’m not blind. Your gold eyes and hair are clear to see. As is your tacky flamboyant attire.” She turned to Plum, “Speaking of tacky, who is this? I don’t know you.”

  Plum felt her legs grow weak at the sight of Lady Thorn. Plum had heard the rumors; of the many who had misspoken in front of the Queen of Undergrowth. None of them had been seen again. No one dared cross Lady Thorn, much less in her own castle.

  Veronica bowed deeply, “She’s my friend, I invite-”

  “I said silence, girl. Are you too stupid to understand such a simple command?” Ophelia snapped.

  Veronica bit her tongue and kept her eyes to the floor in shame.

  Ophelia turned her eyes on Plum, “Who are you? And what are you doing in my castle?”

  Plum swallowed what little spit was left in her dry mouth, “...I…”

  “She’s of no concern to you,” Stryg stepped in front of Plum and stared straight into Ophelia’s eyes.

  Ophelia smiled, bemused, “Do you know who I am, Hollow Shader?”

  “I do,” Stryg said without missing a beat.

  Ophelia's smile turned cold, “And yet here you stand. A child versus a queen.”

  “There are no kings and queens in the Ebon Realm,” Stryg said.

  “The blood of the Last Ebon Lord flows through my veins,” Ophelia leaned forward, an intimidating smile on her red lips, “I am the only queen you will ever know.”

  Stryg swallowed his fear and straightened his back, “...Noted.”

  Ophelia chuckled and leaned away, “So… You are Elzri’s gifted child.”

  “What?” Stryg blinked.

  “Oh, I know about you,” Ophelia said slyly. “My spies have told me of the mysterious hybrid prodigy of Hollow Shade’s academy. Reckless, withdrawn, and hostile. Yet, even with all your faults the Great Elzri Noir himself adopted you. Strange, is it not?” 

  Plum’s eyes widened in shock. “Stryg…?” she whispered.

  “Elzri should have never let his foolish child come here alone,” Ophelia said darkly.

  “I’m not alone,” Stryg frowned.

  “Oh, child, you are so very alone,” Ophelia smirked. “No one will help you here.”

  “Lady Thorn!” an orc called out.

  The orc was tall, almost as tall as Sylvie. He was dressed in fine red silk and a black embroidered jacket, yet his corded muscles were easily seen beneath his clothes. His long black hair was swept back and tied in a ponytail and his strong jaw was open in laughter.

  “There you are, Lady Thorn,” the orc grinned.

  “...Gilgard Morrigan?” Ophelia said dryly.

  “Oh!? You recognize me? After so many years? I’m honored,” Gilgard bowed with an over-the-top flourish.

  Ophelia raised her eyebrow, “Last I saw you, you were just a toddler… But I’d be remiss to forget the son of the Grand Warlord of the East.”

  “Ah, that reminds me, my father sends his regards and well wishes,” Gilgard said.

  “Thank you, please convey to Lord Morrigan my gratitude,” Lady Thorn said in a practiced tone. “I do hope both our Great Cities can continue their peaceful relationship.”

  “Yes, yes, of course,” Gilgard nodded casually.

  “Yes…” Lady Thorn said, annoyed.

  “It’s been a long time, Gilgard,” Calex Thorn smiled. “I’m glad you are doing well. How has life in Murkton been?”

  “Better than here I wager,” Gilgard said. He glanced behind the Thorns and pointed at Stryg and Freya’s black and white garments. His amber eyes widened, “Ah, Hollow Shaders! You must be my rivals. More importantly, you’re my cousin’s students.”

  “Cousin?” Stryg asked.

  “Why Tauri Katag, of course,” Gilgard said.

  “House Katag and House Morrigan’s founders were siblings,” Freya nodded to herself.

  “You know your history well,” Gilgard smiled. “So, what are Tauri’s students up to? Hopefully nothing too troublesome.”

  “Actually, we were just leaving,” Freya grabbed Stryg’s arm, “Let’s go.”

  Stryg took one last glance at a stunned Plum, then let Freya drag him away.

  “Enjoy the party!” Gilgard waved.

  “You have your father’s confidence, I’ll give you that,” Ophelia noted.

  “Coming from you, I’m honored, Lady Thorn,” Gilgard said.

  “I do hope you have his strength too or tomorrow will be a sad day for the city of Murtkon,” Lady Thorn spun around and strutted away.

  “Have a good night, Gilgard,” Calex bowed smoothly and followed after his mother.

  “...Phew,” Gilgard whistled. “It really is true what they say. Lady Thorn is just like a viperidae. Beautiful to look at, but deadly if you get too close. Isn’t that right?”

  “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Veronica frowned.

  “Neither do I,” Damian muttered.

  “...Of course not,” Gilgard winked. “If you’ll excuse me, I’m off to get drunk,” He bowed his head and walked away.

  “I think I’m going to get a drink too,” Damian sighed. “You two wanna come?”

  “Maybe in a bit,” Veronica smiled weakly.

  “Suit yourself,” Damian nodded and left.

  After he had gone, Veronica rubbed Plum’s back, “You okay?”

  “Y-yeah,” Plum chuckled. “I met the Queen of Undergrowth and almost died, but yeah, I’m okay.”

  “...And Mister Mysterious? Stryg, was it?” Veronica asked quietly.

  “What about him?” Plum sighed.

  “Was that guy your ex?”

  “Hah, no. Not even close.”

  “Then who was he?”

  “...My best friend, once.”

  “Hmmm.”

  “What?”

  Veronica pointedly looked Plum up and down, “The only dress you had for the party, huh?” 

  “Yeah, I told you that yesterday,” she said defensively.

  “I remember. And I offered you to pick out any of my dresses instead.”

  “What’s your point?”

  “You still went with that red dress.”

  “And? I don’t like taking handouts from others, you included.”

  “Gotcha,” Veronica smiled half-heartedly.

~~~

  Gilgard rested his shoulder on a pillar in the corner of the ballroom. He sipped a glass of wine and surveyed the crowd of hundreds of guests.

  A young orc woman stepped out from the crowd and silently walked up next to him. She bowed low, “Captain.”

  “Beatrix, what did you see?” Gilgard asked.

  The woman brushed the long black hair from her face, flecks of blue light swam in her amber eyes. “I have found and examined every single member of our rival teams. I also spotted several of your family members at the party tonight.”

  “Yes, I’ve already spoken to Tauri.” 

  “Lord Katag is here as well, along with several of his wives, including Evelyn.”

  “I see… Family is important,” Gilgard nodded thoughtfully. “I’ll give my respect to my uncle and aunts in a little while. For now, report.”

  “Lady Thorn is as powerful as we suspected,” Beatrix said. “The chromatic colors flowing through her body are strong, stronger than most. There are few mages capable of contesting her might.”

  “Like Father?”

  “Lord Morrigan is the strongest mage in all the Ebon Realm, there is none who could stand against him,” Beatrix said resolutely.

  “Oh spare me your zeal,” Gilgard shook his head. “Father is powerful, no one doubts that. But it’d be stupid to think there are no arch-mages powerful enough to challenge him.”

  “Even still-”

  “There are many threats in our Realm,” Gilgard grabbed her shoulder. “Which is why I’m relying on you and your clarity magic to give me accurate and unbiased information.”

  Beatrix reluctantly nodded, “...I believe Lady Thorn’s power rivals Lord Morrigan’s own.”

  “I see,” Gilgard said. “And her son, Calex?”

  “The rumors are unfortunately true. I confirmed it with my own eyes, I saw the mana flowing within him. Calex Thorn is a hexa-manifold mage. And judging from the strength and control of the flow of his mana, I am certain he is a master mage.”

  “Damn, so it’s true, Calex is the next Elzri Noir,” he sighed.

  “There is more. Kalliste Lilith seems to be just as, if not more, talented than her older sister, last year’s champion. Kalliste may not have the mana flow-control of a master mage yet, but she is a threat, do not take her lightly. If you face her in the tourney, use Feather without hesitation.”

  “Now you’re worried about me?” Gilgard smiled.

  “I am loyal to your father-”

  “Our father. Just because your mother wasn’t one of his wives does not make you any less his daughter, nor my sister,” Gilgard said strongly. “Even he can’t take that away from you, no one can.”

  “As you wish,” Beatrix sighed, but there was a hint of warmth in her amber eyes. “I am loyal to… our father. And he would be very displeased if anything happened to you.”

  “More like he’d be displeased if I failed to win,” Gilgard said wryly. “But don’t worry, I have every intention of winning this tournament.”

  “Good…” she nodded. 

  “What is it? What aren’t you telling me?”   

  “Do you remember the dire vampire we spotted earlier?”

  “How could I not? She was taller than me,” Gilgard laughed.

  “I couldn’t read her mana.”

  “What?”

  “There was some sort of bronze barrier around her. Not even my clarity spells could see through it. I’ve seen something similar on Lord Morrigan.”

  “An aegis,” Gilgard guessed. “Looks like I will need Feather after all. Dammit.”

  “One more thing,” Beatrix whispered.

  “I’m listening.”

  “Hollow Shade’s drow hybrid. The blue one with pale purple eyes.”

  “Yeah, what about him?”

  “I couldn’t see his mana either.”

  “He has an aegis too?”

  “No…” Beatrix bit her lip. “It’s something else. Every time I tried to use my clarity magic to look into the drow hybrid my vision became blurred… I don’t know what happened.”

  “What are you saying?”

  “I’m not sure, I’ve never seen anything like it.” Beatrix glanced out at the crowd warily, “All I know is that he’s dangerous, maybe more than anyone else in the tournament.”

 

 

  https://discord.gg/uYqw7R6SKz

  If you liked the chapter please leave a like, if there is something else you are interested in knowing about the lore, or if you have any questions, remarks, or just want to say hi drop a comment below!

  Check out the glossary for more info on characters, lore, magic, and more!

95