Chapter 263: Sunset Return
2.3k 19 86
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 263: Sunset Return

 

  Mina’s grandmother stretched her wings, dropped to one knee, and bowed her head, “Thank you, young mages, for saving our lives.” She glanced at Stryg and Sylvie, who was still covered in the viperidae’s blood, “Especially you two. You have my clan’s eternal gratitude.”

  “...It was nothing,” Stryg shrugged. He immediately regretted the motion as pain buzzed in his broken ribs. Stryg looked away and tried his best to hide his grimace.

  “We made a bargain with your granddaughter. Goldelms always hold up their end of a bargain,” Freya said proudly.

  “We’re just glad you’re all safe,” Sylvie looked up at the group of fairies sitting on a low branch.

  “But are you okay, Sylvie?” Callum asked worriedly. “You were eaten by that monster.”

  “I’m fine,” Sylvie pulled the golden amulet beneath her shirt, “My aurum aegis protected me.”

  “Oh, that’s good,” Callum sighed with relief.

  “What I want to know is how you managed to kill that giant fucker,” Freya gestured towards the Dark Blood’s corpse in the distance.

  “The Dark Blood’s scales may have been incredibly tough, but its insides weren’t,” Sylvie explained. “I focused all my willpower and casted the most powerful storm spell I could manage. I thought the lightning would drive a hole right through its gut, I didn’t expect the lightning to rip off its entire head.” Sylvie smiled weakly, “Lucky me.”

  “Well damn,” Freya whistled. “I guess I really underestimated you. Looks like we might really have a chance of winning the tournament after all.”

  Stryg stared at Sylvie skeptically. The others may have been too busy fending off the other viperidae, but he had seen the Dark Blood die. There had been no blue flash of lightning. The Dark Blood’s stomach had exploded in a burst of golden light.

  Stryg had gotten a closer look at the viperidae’s corpse, its insides were covered in blackened scorch marks. It could have been caused by lightning, but he didn’t believe that was the case. It reminded him of when he found Sylvie in her charred room.

  What are you hiding, Sylvie? Stryg wondered.

  “Hey, guys, speaking about the tournament, the sun is beginning to set,” Callum blanched.

  “Shit, we don’t have time! We gotta be back before nightfall!” Freya turned to Stryg, “Do you have the flower?”

  “I got several,” Stryg patted his jacket’s pocket.

  “Great, then let’s get going,” Freya nodded.

  “What about that thing?” Callum pointed his thumb back at the Dark Blood’s corpse. “Shouldn’t we take a fang as a trophy or something?”

  “That fang is as tall as you, Cal, do you really think we can just lug that thing back?” Freya said. “Not even Sylvie could carry that without being slowed down.”

  “Maybe we could just grab one of its scales then?” Callum asked.

  “The Dark Blood’s scales are as tough as steel, it’d take too long to rip one off,” Freya shook her head. “We have to go now if we hope to stand any chance of passing the First Challenge.”

  “So, what? Are we just supposed to leave the whole carcass behind? No one will believe that we fought a Dark Blood, much less killed one!” Callum frowned.

  “We don’t have a choice, we’ll fail if we stay any longer. We have to leave now, that’s an order,” Freya said sternly.

  “This is nonsense,” Callum muttered.

  “It’s probably best if we avoid more attention anyway,” Sylvie nodded to herself.

  “Ready whenever you are, captain,” Stryg said.

  “Thank you, again. All of you,” Mina’s grandmother bowed.

  Mina and the other fairies bowed as well and whispered their gratitude in their fae tongue.

  Freya grinned, “On behalf of Hollow Shade’s finest, you’re very welcome.”

~~~

  The sibling heralds, Jane and Mark, stared at the setting sun and shared a glance at each other.

  “Should we call it?” Mark asked.

  “No, not until Lady Thorn gives the signal. They still have a few minutes left,” Jane whispered.

  “Very well.” Mark glanced at the notes the courier had just brought up to the Herald’s Tower, “Let’s begin the day’s closing ceremony then?”

  “Let’s,” Jane nodded.

  The herald siblings walked up to the massive enchanted trumpet at the edge of their tower and inhaled deeply.

  “Dear guests, the Fae & Flower Challenge is almost over and our teams have not let us down!” Jane exclaimed.

  “Give a loud round of applause to our 1st place victors, ~TEAM UNDERGROWTH~!!!” Mark yelled.

  The coliseum’s crowds cheered and clapped in droves of thousands for their favored team. Team Undergrowth stood on the stage at the center of the arena with the other teams and Lady Thorn.

  Veronica Sientia waved and blew kisses at her adoring fans. Heather Navis laughed loftily and held her head high with pride. Damian Parvus bowed repeatedly and tried his best to hide his giddiness at success. Calex Thorn simply smiled calmly.

  “Not that it’s a surprise, but tell me, Mark, how do you think Team Undergrowth managed to win first place on this Challenge?” Jane’s voice rang through the crowds.

  “I think any team led by our city’s prodigy, Calex Thorn, would succeed in any of the three Challenges. However, I think their team owes a great deal of their success today to Damian Parvus. His family has been renowned rangers since their founding a thousand years ago. No one knows the woodlands around Undergrowth as well as House Parvus.”

  “Excellent analysis, brother. On that same note, what can you tell us of the other competitors and how their performance has played out?” Jane asked.

  “Well, I think Team Murkton did an incredible performance today,” Mark said. “They managed to snag 2nd place and they came back only an hour after Team Undergrowth, a remarkable feat, especially considering the reports of them being attacked by a pack of sereguli!”

  “Oof, the sereguli really are vicious predators. And to have come across such beasts in the middle of their yearly migration down the Rupture Mountains, what sour luck,” Jane said sympathetically.

  “Or at least it would have been,” Mark grinned. “But reports say Gilgard Morrigan slew the pack of beasts by himself while his team gathered the silverbright flowers!” 

  “As expected of the son of the Grand Warlord of the East, a warrior whose martial prowess is unparalleled among our contestants. Calex Thorn will have to be careful.”

  At the mention of the Grand Warlord, the crowd cheered for Team Murkton. Gilgard and his fellow teammates stood at attention and bowed their heads in gratitude at the cheers.

  “Indeed, sister,” Mark said. “But I think our thousands of spectators can agree that Calex and Gilgard’s match is one of the most anticipated in this year’s 3rd Challenge.”

  “I couldn't agree more,” Jane nodded. “But let’s not forget our last but not least, most anticipated contestant, the younger sister of last year’s champion, and this year’s captain for Team Frost Rim, the illustrious Kalliste Lilith!”

  The crowds cheered even louder and chanted House Lilith. Kalliste curtsied to the crowd and winked.

  “It seems our spectators have not forgotten the legendary Great House that won last year’s tourney over at Frost Rim,” Mark laughed.

  “Kalliste has a lot to live up to that’s for certain,” Jane said. “And rumor has it, she has the magical talent and skills to do so, which is why it’s so heartbreaking that Team Frost Rim took 3rd place in today’s Challenge; and only mere minutes after Team Murkton arrived.”

  Kalliste rolled her eyes at the heralds, though neither sibling saw the gesture from all the way up on their tower.

  “But nothing is as gut-wrenching and pitiful as the lack of an appearance from Team Hollow Shade,” Mark winced.

  “I wish I could say I was surprised, but I don’t think anyone really is,” Jane lamented. “Seven years. Seven years of defeat after defeat. Seven years of agonizing losses. And this year seems to be no different. I can only say I pity our Hollow Shaders in the crowds.”

  “The sun is already setting, I worry we may never see team Hollow Shade again in this year’s tourney,” Mark said.

  “It would take a real miracle to turn it around for their team,” Jane sighed dramatically.

  As if on cue the southern gate loudly creaked up. The crowds watched in shock as Sylvie ran out, Stryg and the rest close behind. The Hollow Shaders in the stands screamed and cheered, echoing their city’s name over and over.

  “I’ll be damned,” Jane mumbled.

  “Perhaps the gods really are looking out for this year’s Team Hollow Shade,” Mark said. “This year’s tourney is shaping up to be the greatest in over a decade!” 

~~~

  Stryg glared up at the Herald’s Tower as his team made their way to the arena’s stage, “They don’t ever shut up, do they?”

  “That’s their entire job, being loud jackasses,” Freya shrugged.

  “Are we really complaining right now? We actually managed to make it back on time!” Sylvie said.

  “Just barely,” Callum sighed.

  “Shh, we’re here,” Freya whispered as they walked up the stage’s steps.

  Lady Ophelia Thorn watched them walk up to the stage, an expression of displeasure marred her elegant face. She slowly turned her head towards the sky and made a point of staring at the sunset, its last rays fading on the horizon.

  “...You’ve arrived… more or less,” Ophelia said, peeved.

  “We’d hate to disappoint,” Freya bowed with a dramatic flourish.

  “Yes, well, show me the flower,” Ophelia tapped her foot.

  Stryg stepped forward, reached into his pocket, and pulled out a pair of pale grey flowers. “As requested, Silverbright flowers.”

  Ophelia grabbed the flowers reluctantly, careful not to touch Stryg’s hand in the process. She examined the flowers with deep scrutiny. After a few tense moments she nodded, “...Very good, you have passed.”

  Stryg and his teammates breathed a sigh of relief.

  “Where are your lantern and fairy?” Ophelia asked.

  “The lantern broke,” Freya said.

  “And the fairy?” Ophelia asked.

  Freya bit her lip, “Um…”

  “We set her free,” Sylvie said adamantly. “She should never have been in that lantern cage in the first place.”

  “That fairy was not yours to give away,” Ophelia said sharply. 

  “The rules of the Challenge gave us the lantern and fairy to aid us in our quest,” Callum said. “The rules said nothing of what we could or could not do with the lantern nor fairy.”

  Ophelia narrowed her eyes, “Callum Veres was it? I’ll remember your name.”

  Callum paled, but he held his ground, “...Nice to meet you too.”

  Ophelia raised her eyebrow questioningly.

  “Well done, darling,” Kalliste clapped from across the stage. She smiled brightly, “Hollow Shade continues to impress with its extraordinary capabilities. A word of friendly advice; in the future when you decide to bend the rules, try not to get last place anyway.”

  Sylvie glared at the vampiress, “We only got late because we saved a fairy clan from a swarm of viperidae.”

  “Viperidae?” Kalliste giggled. “Is that the best excuse you can come up with? Oh! Sorry, did I say that out loud?”

  “This little…” Sylvie growled.

  “There are no viperidae this close to Undergrowth’s borders,” Ophelia said coldly. “I suggest you take your loss gracefully and refrain from lies, child.”

  “I didn’t lie!” Sylvie yelled.

  “Then where is your proof, hm?” Ophelia looked around. “I see no evidence of your ridiculous claim.”

  “That’s…” Sylvie clenched her fists, but bowed her in defeat.

  “I have the evidence right here,” Freya reached into her satchel and pulled out a large jade-green scale.

  “H-how?” Sylvie whispered.

  “No way…” Kalliste muttered in disbelief.

  Ophelia’s blue eyes widened with surprise but she quickly smothered it with an impassive expression.

  “I took it from the first viperidae we killed,” Freya smirked. “If this wasn’t a part of the 1st Challenge then I suggest soldiers and mages be sent to investigate the city’s borders. The people’s lives may be in danger.”

  “...Yes, I’ll send my best soldiers right away,” Ophelia said curtly. “You must have had a long day, all of you,” she gestured towards the four teams. “Congratulations on completing the 1st Challenge. The next Challenge will be much more difficult. I suggest you get some rest while you can.”

  Ophelia raised her hand and gestured to the Herald’s Tower.

  “And with that, the 1st Challenge comes to a close!” Mark’s voice echoed across the coliseum. 

  “Hollow Shade manages to pass with the skin of their teeth!” Jane yelled. “But who knows if they’ll manage in the upcoming Challenge…”

  “...~THE CHALLENGE OF PILLAR & SEA~!!!” Jane and Mark called out at once.

  “How long until the next Challenge?” Stryg asked Freya.

  “Three days from now,” she said.

  Stryg held his broken ribs and sighed, “I need a bath.”

 

 

  https://discord.gg/uYqw7R6SKz

  If you liked the chapter please leave a like, if there is something else you are interested in knowing about the lore, or if you have any questions, remarks, or just want to say hi drop a comment below!

  Check out the glossary for more info on characters, lore, magic, and more!

 

86