Fire Heart Chapter 26
115 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 26

“So, dear Lyca, how has life been treating you?” I asked, a small smile playing over my face as I gazed down at the girl.

 

After knocking her unconscious Balor, Star and I tied her up and brought her back to our camp- along with the boar.  There we waited, while feasting on our catch, for the girl to wake up. An eerie silence had overtaken the camp, as the many dissatisfied and angry faces of her old comrades, as well as the confused faces of our newcomers, stared at her unconscious body.

 

She had actually woke up a little while ago, sniffing the air at the smell of cooking pig, but she quickly realized where she was and had tried feigning being asleep.  I, however, had grown tired of waiting for her and had thus decided to let her know I knew she was awake.

 

Her body started shaking profusely as she realized that she had been found out and she slowly, carefully, raised her head and looked at me…and then at the children sitting in a circle around her.  She dry swallowed once, but said nothing.

 

“Our Master asked you a question.” Balor said, a vein throbbing in his forehead “Answer him.”

 

Lyca looked like she might faint as her mouth opened and closed with no noise coming out.  Eventually she managed to let out a faint squeak.

 

Taking pity on her, Merilyn said “Now now Balor, let us not be so aggressive.  Can you not see that she is frightened out of her wits?”

 

A scolding from Merry was enough to cow him for now which pleased me, as it meant he could even follow orders while enraged.  Scratch, on the other hand, was not so well trained.

 

“Frightened? So what if she’s frightened! We were all pretty frightened too after she sold us out to Merlmire!” he shouted, glaring daggers at Lyca.

 

“I agree with Scratch on this one, she’s a traitor who would have let us all become slaves again just to save her own hide!” exclaimed Star.

 

“You were supposed to be our friend…” Tia said, looking reproachfully at our captive “But you ran away from Eri when she needed us most, and then you even had the audacity to spy on Master Illumen for Merlmire.  You’re the worst…” 

 

With that the crowd broke out of the silence that had been pervading ever since we returned with Lyca.  Everyone started shouting their displeasure at the girl, demanding she be punished- a few even wanting her executed. But then some of my students started pelting her with the food my Merry had so graciously cooked, and that I could not abide.

 

“Enough.” I whispered, letting the full force of my bloodlust assault the crowd of children.  Immediately they realized their mistake and settled down, awaiting my words on the subject.  Lyca herself almost fell unconscious again, as the stress of being demonized combined with feeling my bloodlust was proving too much for her to handle.

 

“Lyca, I am going to give you this one chance to tell everyone why you betrayed them.  What happens after that depends on your reasoning.  All of you, do not interrupt her or your punishment shall be…unpleasant.” I said, addressing my students with the last bit. I looked over at Merilyn, who was nodding encouragingly at me.

 

“Now, speak.” I ordered.

 

Terrified as she was, Lyca was smart enough to realize that this was her only chance to come out of this in one piece.  Yet she hesitated, unsure of what to say, so instead she started by asking “D-Do they know…about you?”

 

I narrowed my eyes, and said “They know enough.  I would suggest not breaching the subject, unless you fancy losing your head.”

 

She shrunk, aware that she had already made a misstep.  Her mind was racing, desperately trying to come up with some combination of words that would save her life.  But nothing was coming to her, and she could tell that every lie or sob story that she could come up with would have been seen through and that would be the end of her.

 

“Well, we’re waiting?” I said, in a rather bored manner.

 

Lyca had become pale and sweat was pouring down her face.  Her eyes were wide with fear and her shaking had intensified.

 

“What is the matter girl, do you have nothing to say for yourself?” I asked, my red eyes boring into her brown ones.

 

Finally, when it looked like she was going to stay quiet and I was about to order her tied to a tree for the night, Lyca burst out talking.

 

“I’m sorry!” she screamed “I’m sorry, please don’t kill me!  I didn’t want anybody to get hurt- but I was afraid!  I’m still afraid! After Benson told us what was going on in that place he gave us a choice, either join Ogden or go back to being slaves, so I took the better option of the two!  Anybody would have!” she stopped, apparently out of breath, and looked wildly around at the faces of her ex comrades.

 

“Hm, but if I recall correctly, Scratch chose to remain with the others.” I said.

 

“Well good for him, but I’m not as stupid and brave as he is!  I couldn’t go back to being a slave…I just couldn’t…i’d rather die.”

 

“Yes, I know that. For a coward, it is better to run from your fate than it is to fight it. Tell me, did you ever believe in Benson’s nonsense about freeing all of the slaves?”

 

She looked surprised that I would ask such a question. “N-Not really.  I mean it would have been great if he could pull it off, but I never actually thought it would happen.”

 

I nodded, satisfied with her answers.  As I suspected, she wasn’t malicious, nor was she opposed to freeing the slaves.  She was just spineless, and too afraid for her own life to look out for those around her.  If she had taken pleasure in betraying her comrades or if she had bared her sword at me, I would have killed her on the spot.  But as it was, I was content to let her go free.

 

That just left one final issue I had to clear up.

 

“One last question.  If you were so scared of what would happen if we found you, why would you have come out here to spy on us?” I asked “And furthermore, how did you know we were here?”

 

“I…followed you after you burnt down Merlmire’s house. I thought that maybe you were going to take everyone to another country, like wherever you came from.  And then, once we got out here, I figured it was safer for me in the forest than out in the open so…”

 

“So you stayed out here, and spied on us?” I finished.

 

“I wasn’t spying…! I was just…when I saw you teaching Eri how yo use a dagger I thought that maybe I could…uh…learn the moves you were using…” she finished, trailing off into a whisper.

 

“Stealing my technique.” I corrected her, nostrils flaring “And you’ve been living out here by yourself ever since?”

 

“M-Mostly.  Sometimes I sneak back into town to steal supplies, but other than that” she motioned with her head towards the east “I’ve been living in a cave over there.  H-Hunting is pretty easy when you can become invisible.”

 

“So it is.  Alright then” I said, standing up and clapping my hands to address everyone “Listen well, I have found no lies in her words, nor do I believe that her actions warrant a death penalty.  That being the case, we’ll be untying her,  assuming nobody here has any grievances they want to bring up?”

 

Lyca’s eyes widened, as she was shocked to hear that she would be going free.  The rest of the children were likewise surprised to hear that I would be letting Lyca off the hook with scant consequences.  Unfortunately, that shock quickly changed to rage among many of the students, namely the <Workhorse> group.

 

“Master, I implore you reconsider!” Balor said angrily.

 

“She sold us up the river!  She doesn’t deserve to go free!” Scratch shouted

 

“She went right along with Benson and Merlmire, she’s a collaborator.” Eri said, deathly quiet.

 

“After hearing everything that happened, even I must agree Master.  If you let someone like her go free she will just repeat her wrongdoing.” Sylvia advised.

 

I could feel the vein in my forehead bulging again as these children tried my patience.  None of them were thinking beyond their feelings.

 

“I suppose that as their Master it is my fault they are filled with such rage. And it is my duty to reprimand them.”

 

Looking at my students, I said “I see, I see.  So you want her to be punished?” I asked sardonically.

 

They all nodded.

 

“Hmm, and tell me, how would you like her to be punished?  Shall we keep her under lock and key here, where she can monitor our movements and, on the off chance she escapes, report us to the authorities in exchange for her own protection?  Shall we feed her and cloth her with our meager resources as well?” I asked.

 

“I…! Well…maybe not that kind of punishment…” Balor mumbled.

 

“Ho hum, not that kind of punishment?  Well then, how about we maim her?  Fifty lashes and then we can toss her into the forest, where she’ll be torn apart by hungry wolves as she’s unable to defend herself.  Or perhaps we should cut off an arm or a leg and let her starve to death while she is unable to hunt?”

 

“Th-That’s not-” Star tried to say.

 

“No? Not that one either?  Then what about something simple, like a beheading?  Scratch, you seemed particularly upset about her betrayal, would you care to swing the axe?” I asked

 

Scratch said nothing, but instead looked down uncomfortably.  The others, likewise, were unwilling to make eye contact with me as they realized their mistake.

 

“I thought not.  As always, you children have let your emotions cloud your judgment.  We can’t keep her captive here against her will, she would be a drain on our resources. Since none of you are willing to kill her, we can’t hurt her physically either.  Or were you all just hoping that I would keep doing all of the dirty work so you could keep your hands clean?”

 

My students looked down at the ground, ashamed.

 

“We’re sorry, Master…” Eri said, eyes starting to wet as she realized that they had been trying to push me into hurting someone for them.

 

I sighed, not enjoying the sight of my precious pupils being so sad, and said “Well, I suppose you are right about one thing.  Though I don’t believe she deserves to die, Lyca did betray everyone.  Letting her off completely would encourage such bad behavior…hmm.” I finished, an idea suddenly popping into my head.

 

“Tell me, do any of you know the magic used to make a slave?” I asked my students

 

They looked quite shocked at my question, but Balor answered “Generally magic isn’t used in the process, since it costs a lot of money to hire a wizard.  Trying to escape is punishable by death so most slaves don’t even attempt it.  But why would you ask such a question Master?

 

“Well…i’m thinking that since it would be foolish to allow Lyca to go free, and it would be excessive to just kill her, perhaps a suitable punishment would be to bind her to us via one of those slave crests.”

 

Everyone gasped, and Merilyn said “Illumen, you want to enslave her?!”

 

“I knew you would react like this.” I sighed  “Yes I do, but not forever.  Just until we complete our conquest.  Until then she will live here and assist with the cooking, cleaning, hunting, etc.  That way we won’t have to risk her talking to others about us, nor will she be an active drain on our food and supplies.”

 

“Illumen, the whole point of what we’re doing is to free the slaves-” she started, becoming livid at my suggestion.

 

But I cut her off, and asked “Then tell me what to do with her.  I will absolutely defer to your judgment in this case.”

 

Merry stopped, and allowed herself a minute to think.  But the seconds went by and she became visibly frustrated as she was unable to think of a suitable means of dealing with Lyca.

 

Just before it looked like she would have to agree with my idea, Lyca spoke up again

 

“You don’t have to use a slave crest…” she mumbled

 

Everyone's attention went back to her.

 

She continued “You don’t have to use a slave crest.” she said again “ I won’t run away if you tell me to stay here.  I swear it.”

 

“Hmph.  There is no reason to believe the word of a cowardly traitor.  You may not deserve to die, but you are nowhere near trustworthy.”

 

“Please, I beg of you, don’t make me a slave again! I’ll do anything you ask of me, anything but wear that horrible crest!  I’ll hunt your food, I’ll clean your clothes, I’ll even fight for you if you want me to! Just don’t put another slave seal on me…”

 

I signed once again. “Damn it all, why can’t things just be simple like-”

 

Attention.  Demon Skill <Acolyte Lv.1> has evolved into <Acolyte Lv.2> after meeting the required conditions.

 

<Acolyte Lv.1> A Skill granted to a User who has met the required conditions.

 

-This Skill can only be learned by a Demon Prince

-The User must be acknowledged by another as their Lord and Master

-Those who acknowledge the User (hereby referred to as Acolyte’s)  must be unwavering in their loyalty to the User.

Note* Those who are unfaithful the User will not receive the title of Acolyte, nor any bonuses that come with it.

 

Worship the Lord with gladness, and come before him with songs. Serve the Lord with fear and rejoice with trembling.  Kiss the Lord lest he be angry, yet perish by the way though his wrath be kindled but a little.  Love the Lord, for he is good and he will provide you with succor.

 

-The User can bestow the title of [Acolyte] to those who acknowledge the User as their Lord.

*Those with the [Acolyte] title gain an increase in all stats and face decreased requirements for learning skills.

-(Ability unlocked at Lv.2)(Dominate)  The User can enforce rules on those with the title [Acolyte], as well as punishments for attempting to break those rules. To initiate a rule the User must begin by saying “I decree”

-<Locked>

-<Locked>

 

…I turned back to Lyca, who had been waiting for my answer with bated breath, and a wide smile started to split my lips.

 

“I-Illumi, has something happened?” Merry asked. I let her know with telepathy and then gave her my new idea for Lyca’s punishment. After a  few moments of waiting to see if she approved I received her tacit consent to the idea.

 

“It would appear that the matter of your punishment has been decided on, Lyca.” I said, squatting down to look her in the eyes. “From this day forward, you will serve under me as a student, just like the others here.  That means pulling your weight, hunting, cooking, training and obeying your Masters commands during your training.  Do you agree to those terms?” I asked

 

I expected hesitation, but Lyca almost instantly said “I do.”  

 

Alert.  User [Lycana Lunala] has received the title: [Acolyte]

 

“Excellent” I thought, continuing “Then Lyca, I Decree that you are not ever to disclose the location of this place to anyone. You are also not allowed to disclose the identities of the people here, nor any of the knowledge you learn here.  If you disobey this command, the punishment is death.  Do you understand?” I asked

 

“I do.” she said, looking at the ground.

 

Alert.  Rules Established, Punishment for breaking the rules [Death] established.

 

In reality it probably wasn’t  necessary to bind her with Dominate.  She knew I was a Demon Prince, and she knew the only reason I hadn’t killed her was because none of her actions had affected me directly.

 

But the added security certainly wouldn’t hurt, and now the only thing left to do was satisfy the vengeful hearts of my precious students.

 

“Now that that is over with.” I said,  a mad glint in my eyes, “You said before that you were trying to steal my dagger techniques, yes?”

 

Lyca nodded nervously, unsure what that had to do with her punishment.

 

“Well that won’t do, that won’t do at all! You will only end up with a horribly sloppy technique if you learn it in such a second hand way. Tonight you may sleep and fill up your belly with pork, but tomorrow? Tomorrow you will report directly to me, first thing in the morning.  From now on you will be enjoying private dagger lessons from me every day, before breakfast.  And I assure you, your training will be quite intense.”

 

“I-Is that really all? You’re just going to teach me how to use my dagger?” She asked, not believing what she was hearing.  She looked relieved, as she had been expecting far worse treatment.

 

And then the whispering started.

 

“-gasp- isn’t that going too far?”

 

“Hehe, serves her right, she’s about to experience the worst pain in her life.”

 

“Oh no, she might have gotten off easier if he had just killed her…”

 

“Well, I guess we should start digging her grave soon.”

 

“I can’t believe it, I almost feel bad for her…”

 

But as she looked around at all of the worried, smug, or just downright frightened faces of the children around her, Lyca became more and more confused.

 

“It’s just training, how bad could it possibly be?”

 

9