Double Sharp
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My car stood out lonely on a battered mountain road, the sun had not yet risen up, on this road there were no lights. This was not a road usually taken.

While I cursed the guy who suggested me to take this ‘shortcut’ I remembered that there should have been a village not far from there.

  

It was a small village on the road, tourist guides said few things about it. One thing that I knew for sure was that they had fuel and food. Two things which I needed in order to continue my travel.

 

When I entered the village I was immediately hit by how old the buildings were and how strange the architecture was. 

“Damn those peasants don’t know anything about architecture. I will bet that they don’t even have water in their homes.”

 

I heard a note, a note of a violin from the distance. Then nothing, no music followed. 

I exit my car and went to buy some bread at the local store.

“Hi,” I said entering the small store.

The few persons in the store replied.

I went to the breadmaker.

“I want to buy some bread.”

“Oh that is fantastic” she replied “which type of bread would you like?”

“Some soft bread”
“Oh soft bread is so good, every type of bread is good in reality, you just have to know how to do it. Everything is beautiful if you look at it in the right way!”

“Ok…. how much does this bread cost?”

“Oh don’t worry about that, I gift it to you.”

“Wait, what?” I was confused  “What would your boss do if he knew that you gift bread?”

“I am my boss. I can do what I like. Besides is just some bread” A smile appeared on it’s face, another note was played, he appeared beautiful. 

I went a little closer and looked at her card.

Marta 

Business owner.

 

Then bellow written with a pencil

 

And breadmaker.

 

I picked up the bread and went away reluctant.

“Damn, that breadmaker is hot,” I thought to myself “I should as-” I paused.
“You have deadlines! Now go and refill your fuel tank” I thought to myself.

People around the village looked happy and friendly. When I arrived at the gas station an old man greeted me with a smile.  

“What can I do for you?”
“A full refuel, thanks.”
The old man went closer to the car. “It looks like you are about to have a tire.”

“Wait. What?!?” I went outside the car and looked at the tire. It was mostly down.

“Don’t worry I can fix it in a few minutes.”
“Bu-”
“Ah don’t worry, it’s free. What type of person I would be if I made my customers pay for those little things.” He smiled.

 

“Damn the people here either are very kind of very stupid. Or both.” I thought to myself.

 

Another note was played.

 

I looked at the view, it was beautiful, this really was a great day. The houses were colourful, the architecture appeared gorgeous, free from the decadence of modern buildings. The streets were clean. This was a great day! I decided to rest for a bit longer.

 

Another note was played

 

It was dusk and I had the greatest day of my life! I was so positive and happy, everything appeared beautiful. I had a date with the breadmaker, I kissed her. I had danced at the local tavern, I had drink plenty of wine. And most importantly I quitted my job and found one here. As a breadmaker. The pay is not even a 10th of my previous job but I am happy now.
And that is the important thing.

 

Another note was played.

 

The only thing that I couldn’t figure out were those notes, who was playing them?  

I decided that before going to bed I will find out.


I went into an old house, the door was open, every door here is open, and went into a road only accessible from there. Then I turned the corner, found myself into a square, found another corner and went into a church. 

 

Another note was played.

 

Picked the stairs of the church, went to a little garden from there. There, there I saw something from a distance.

At first, I didn’t understood what it was. It kind looked like a black statue but it moved in a strange. Then I realize that it was walking, walking along the mountain. 

 

Then I saw it clearly. And I was hit with terror. I looked better, there was another and then another. The music started playing, it was beautiful, it was horrible, it was terrifying. 

 

The smiles, no there were no same smiles. No, he had to get out of here, fast.

 

Another note was played

 

I dashed through the streets. Those smiles, those faces, everyone looked mad. Gonne insane. He looked in the old men eyes, at the children playing, at the barkeeper serving a drink. He looked at them better, those people were not happy, no, NO! their eyes were full of desperation and despair. Everyone here had gone insane. What it’s this music?!? What are those things?!?

 

Another note was played

 

 I quickly booted up my car and nearly hit the wall. The brakes were cut. It didn’t matter now.

 

Now I could see them, there were coming for me, they were playing their violins for me.

 

Dashing like a madman across the town centre I managed to reach the road, the mountain road. 

 

That music couldn’t be unheard.

 

It was full of curves. No, I can’t stop now. The music is here, it’s inside my head. The blockade. I can’t stop hearing it. I can’t stop seeing them. 

 

The music was played.

Everything appears distorted, my senses are vanishing. He could see them, in the sky, in the cloud, on the road.

 

“Am I falling why I am in mid-air?” I thought to mys- And the music continued playing. It can’t be stopped. Everything appeared beautiful. The car, the road, the violinists, everything.

 

Look at how colourful is this blood! Look at how sharp is this broken glass, look how warm is this fire. What an idiot I was! Everything is so beautiful, why I didn’t see it earlier?

 

The music couldn’t stop playing. It was inside my head. They came to me.  

 

 Another note was played.

 

And while this beautiful world faded away I started playing my instrument inside this orchestra.

 

The music couldn’t be stopped.

This story comes from one of my dreams, I think that the thinks that play is some sort of analogy to society or something, I really don’t know. I just like the experience of living it.

 

Thanks to my friend Emil for having suggested the title for this story.

0