Arc 1 Chapter 58 – Attracting bees and butterflies
516 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The four didn’t need to wait long in front of Shaw’s office for the man to show up and let them in.

Wearing an omnipresent gentle smile, he gave the four a polite nod, “Gentlemen, I apologize for keeping you waiting. Things are always hectic around here, more so the last two days.”

“No, no! It’s us who showed up uninvited even though we knew how busy you must be!” Noah hurried to refute.

When Shaw’s forest green eyes, partially hidden behind thin glasses, landed on Noah, they visibly softened, “Aris. Are you alright? I’ve heard you’ve had a rough two days.”

Seeing that clearly doting look directed at his baby, Levi’s face scrunched up in a mix of outrage and exasperation.

‘Baby… are all of your friends actually friend-zoned love rivals of mine?!?’

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻

‘Darn it! My baby is too much of a seductress!! Attracting bees and butterflies wherever he goes!’

So worrying!!

Levi really wanted to lock him up somewhere where only he could see him, lest one of these days someone stole away his precious treasure!

Unaware of the dark thoughts running through Levi’s head, Noah sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck, “I don’t dare call it rough. I’ve just had two unpleasant encounters, it’s you guys who are working your asses off.”

Shaw shook his head, his gaze towards Noah warmed up even further, “Don’t sell yourself short. We might be working long hours, but from start to end, our lives had not once been on the line.”

Embarrassed from the implied praise, Noah’s ears flushed a bit. Levi, who always paid attention to Noah first and everyone else second, felt as if he had been struck by lightning from the clear skies.

Don’t tell him his precious darling had feelings for this sissy doctor?!?

That can’t be!!! That definitely was not the case!!

Levi’s mind struggled to come up with an excuse as to why it would be impossible for his baby to develop feelings for someone other than him, Levi.

Right! His baby said he would be marrying a wife in the future! Thus, his baby wasn’t gay, case solved!

Blackie choked on his metaphorical popcorn. ?? ‘And you think him not being gay is better news than him having hots for a guy other than you?! Do you have brain damage?! Ask anyone, anyone! There isn’t a single person out there that would rather have their crush interested in a gender they don’t belong in than have them crushing on someone else!! It’s a difference between having slim chances and having no chance at all!!!’

It would seem, Levi, too, found that “comforting” thought not as comforting as he had initially thought it to be because, at this point, his facial expression couldn’t possibly get any uglier.

Damn it all!!!

It would seem that he needed to employ drastic measures! A whole horde of vicious pigs was eyeing his delicious little cabbage! He wouldn’t be able to rest easy if he took even one step away from his darling! He had to come up with a way to glue himself to his baby 24/7 as soon as possible! ASAP! Critical! Top priority!!

Noah, who was still feeling a bit embarrassed by the praise, hurried to change the topic. “Let me introduce you guys,” he turned towards Levi and Fynn, “this is Shaw, a personal friend of mine. A high-ranked Scanner, currently a vice-chief of diagnostics, and one of the best doctors in the hospital.”

Scanners could, as their name implied, do 3D scans of people and objects, accurately finding issues, defects, foreign objects and substances, and everything else that can be revealed through a scan. They were highly valued in many different industries, thus, not many chose the hard life of a doctor.

Shaw’s chest rumbled with a warm chuckle, “You are too generous with your praise. One of the youngest doctors, yes, but one of the best is a title I am still unworthy of carrying.”

“Too modest as always,” Noah’s eyes curved along with his smile. “Shaw, this is Astar Levi, my future brother-in-law,” he motioned towards Levi.

Shaw’s smile became a bit strained as he nodded politely in Levi’s direction.

“And this is inspector Fynn, currently investigating the recent two cases of power rampage. And that is my new bodyguard Trey” – Noah teasingly added – “yes, the old man finally retired.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you– “ Shaw’s confident and polite tone wavered when his eyes passed over Levi’s ferocious facial expression “…all.”

After the pleasantries, Noah cut to the chase, “Shaw, the reason why we wanted to talk to you is because we suspect–“

“Wait,” Fynn interrupted, “Standard procedure. Were you or anyone you know involved in causing the power rampage incident in any way?”

“No,” Shaw’s eyebrows furrowed helplessly.

“Alright,” Fynn nodded to Noah, “You may continue what you were saying.”

Noah coughed and threw Shaw a sheepish grin, “As I was saying, we wanted to talk to you because we suspect that the power rampages are caused by some kind of a drug. What are your thoughts on the matter?”

Shaw pondered over it, his eyebrows slightly scrunching up in thought. “As you know, I am a high-ranked Scanner, so my scans can detect foreign substances, as well as viruses and bacteria. I’ve scanned both the Blazer and the Fluxer, specifically looking for the presence of drugs; however, I didn’t detect any foreign substances in their bodies.”

“Do you mean to say it wasn’t a drug?” Noah’s shoulders slumped.

However, Shaw shook his head, “No, what I’m saying is that if it is a drug, it is a volatile compound that dissolves quickly, leaving no visible trace on the body. It is also possible that it comes in the form of energy that gets directly absorbed by the victim’s mental power. I can only scan the material things such as the body. Scanning the victim’s mental power is not something I am capable of.”

Fynn perked up at the new line of thought, “Do you know of any substances that could affect mental power?”

Shaw shook his head again, “No, however, pharmaceutical companies had been looking for a way to affect mental power for centuries. It wouldn’t be surprising if they finally found it.”

“Why were they searching for a way to affect mental power?” Noah cocked his head to the side, looking at a loss.

Fynn smiled at him affectionately, “Put into terms you young people would understand, they are trying to produce a ‘Mana Potion’.”

“Pfft,” Noah’s chuckle, as always, was a delight to one’s auditory senses. He gently yet playfully elbowed Shaw, “What young people? You are only 26 yourself!”

Levi’s eyebrow kept twitching as his hands itched to pull that little seductress into his arms and proclaim his ownership to all love rivals present.

“So, they are searching for something that would help restore mental power. That would indeed sell out like hotcakes.” Fynn rubbed his chin in thought.

Shaw chuckled at Noah’s antics and attempted to rub the little one’s cute fluffy head, but was intercepted by Levi, who put his paws on Noah’s head first, giving Shaw a stink-eye.

Shaw could only awkwardly lower his raised hand. Ah, this lord of Astarea was really fierce. Really made one worry about his future wife…

Blackie turned to look at mentioned future wife, Noah, with a big smirk on his face. ‘Ah, really fierce~ Really fierce… in bed…’

(≖‿≖)

8