Arc 1 Chapter 142 – Martyr about to be sent on a suicide mission
284 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I just want to shut up some people’s dirty mouths and stop my family from worrying,” Mary explained.

Many socialites were sneering and mocking her behind her back, saying that her fiancé abhorred her and that this marriage was a sham. The more shameless ones even said that she was a slut, trying to seduce Astar Levi, only to be disdained.

If she could slap all those disgusting faces until they were swollen, she’d gladly do it! She already had to endure two decades married to someone she didn’t like; why would she endure even more of the abuse if she didn’t have to?

Besides, it wasn’t just her that was suffering due to this but also her loved ones.

Maery’s gaze turned helpless, yet doting, “After seeing your scary face and stand-offish demeanor at today’s party, my brother is looking at me with tears in his big eyes like I am a martyr about to be sent on a suicide mission!”

She hid her mouth behind her hand and giggled, “He even begged me, for the first time in his life! He came up to me, pulled at my sleeve looking all pitiful, and whispered in a soft voice, ‘Sister, do… do not marry that scary person… alright?’”

Even recalling that made Maery grin from ear to ear. Kyaaa~ So cute!! Ah!!! (⁄ ⁄>⁄ ▽ ⁄<⁄ ⁄) ❤

Levi also recalled seeing a child hiding behind his sister’s skirt earlier. Although Aris was already 12 this year, his puberty had still not kicked in, so he still looked very milky and adorable.

Levi didn’t like children, though. They were too stupid. And troublesome to deal with.

But he could understand Maery’s affections. It was similar to the gentle feelings he had for their family’s cat. It was interesting to look at, pleasant to touch, and unlike humans, it caused him no discomfort. On the contrary, it felt rather nice and relaxing to pet it.

If something made his cat sad and restless, then he would, of course, want to remove the source of its woe!

And also, he might not have a little brother that was worried about him, but he had protective parents.

“Now that you mention it…” Levi’s eyes narrowed in thought. His parents… also seemed to be worried about the whole arranged marriage matter? And they were constantly looking for opportunities to bring the two of them together. Annoying him to death! Even forcing him to attend this boring party…

If he could make the two of them stop pestering him, that would be a huge win!

Waiting for a long time now without hearing a protest from the reticent teen, Maery asked, “So… you ok with that?”

Levi nodded his confirmation.

“Good, good,” Maery’s eyes lit up, “Then… about mistresses…”

Levi’s face immediately scrunched up, “Not allowed. I don’t want a scandal on my hands. If you want to date, date after we are divorced.”

“My thoughts exactly! (☞゚ヮ゚)☞ So… We have an agreement?” Cordia Maery offered her hand, smiling from ear to ear.

Astar Levi’s frown eased, and he resolutely shook her hand, “We have an agreement.”

After this secret pact was established, Astar Levi and Cordia Maery started to attend unavoidable events together, acting as if they were a harmonious couple.

Those not in the know thought the two were well matched, but Blackie, who could hear what they were really talking about and even thinking, had no words.

The event he was currently watching was of a charity auction held 5 years ago.

A beautiful, elegant lady and a handsome, imposing gentleman made for a striking image as they walked together on the red carpet. Whether it was their most noble identity or fashionable appearance in their designer clothes, everything about them attracted revering and envious gazes from their surroundings.

Maery held Levi’s arm intimately, smiling towards the flashing cameras. Levi turned his better side towards the cameras as well, following Maery’s lead. It was just that there was no sign of a smile on his face. Instead, he looked as if he had eaten something sour.

As the two walked, Levi’s frown kept deepening until he finally asked under his breath, “What’s that horrid smell? Are you using a new perfume?”

“Smile and wave, Levi,” Maery squeezed through her gritted teeth, “Smile. And. Wave.”

Blackie, “…” Ai, this was painful to watch! Fast forward, fast forward!

And so he fast-forwarded until…

Oh, look! Finally! Four years ago, there was a party that the two attended together, and from first glance, Blackie could tell that both of them were in a good mood. This should definitely not be as painful to watch as the former event! One look, and it was obvious that after two years of associating with each other, they had visibly gotten more familiar!

Or perhaps a more accurate term would be, more tolerant? ?

Cordia Maery pulled her fiancé around the party arm in arm, until… “Hottie alert, 10 o’clock!” Maery restrained her squeal behind her hand.

‘Why would I care?’ Levi, next to her, barely managed to suppress his eye-roll.

However, after a few seconds, he could restrain his curiosity no longer. He lowered his head and used the cover of his long eyelashes to take a peek at the two people talking to each other at 10 o’clock direction.

“Which one? The left one or the right one?” He inquired under his breath.

Maery looked at the two people at 10 o’clock direction and fell silent.

On the left was a fresh little cutie straight out from college, and the one next to him was… his middle-aged father…

“...” 〒▽〒 With tears in her eyes, Maery attempted to change the subject, “Oh, look at 2 o’clock! What a cute dress! Serene looks so beautiful in it, doesn’t she?”

Levi was dissatisfied that his previous question had been ignored, but nonetheless, he paused a moment to take a peek at 2 o’clock direction and then asked, “Which one is Serene?”

Maery fell silent again. Never mind the fact that Serene’s and Levi’s mothers were cousins… but out of the three people standing there… one was wearing a skirt, and out of the remaining two who wore a dress, one of them was a man...

Maery took the olive out of her Martini and then gulped the entire glass down all at once.

Alcohol, please work your magic quickly!’ QAQ ‘The party has just started, and I am already about to reach my daily Levi-limit!’

Blackie, too, was about to reach his Levi-limit, so he chose to skip these public displays of “affection” and just watch the footage of the two having their weekly lunch together.

At least then, the two could act like themselves and perhaps even discuss something relevant?

And thus, Blackie fast-forwarded to an utterly ordinary lunch date that happened three years ago.

Maery waltzed into the private room, looking exhausted, “Hey.”

Levi grumbled something intelligible as his response, not even bothering to lift his eyes off the light screen in front of him.

Maery evidently expected nothing less from Levi, thus she slumped down in the chair, feeling at ease.

Ever since she started to work as a Healer, she had been hard-pressed to find a break!

At least, for lunch, she could take a breather and relax! (~ ̄▽ ̄)~

After a momentary pause, Maery sat up, opened up her light screen to a new drama she had recently started watching, and put her wireless earbuds in.

One ate slowly while scrolling through some documents, the other ate equally as slowly while watching a drama based on a popular BL novel.

Besides the sound of eating, the room was perfectly silent.

Or it would have been if it weren’t for an occasional snicker coming from the fujoshi indulging in her daily pleasures.

It turns out that Levi is not as much of a scum as you guys thought. Back then, before the smut, when Levi claimed that there were no feelings between him and Maery, he wasn’t lying. I remember people complaining in the earlier chapters that cheating is not ok and that they don’t like the fact that ML is the brother-in-law. At that time, I could only say “it’s not what you think” because I didn’t wish to reveal any spoilers. Though honestly, I left you guys so many clues that it was really obvious if one stopped to think about it.

Just some of the clues that I remember from the top of my head:

  1. Neither Levi nor Maery ever displayed any worry or extra thought about the other’s feelings or wellbeing, nor showed any signs that they missed the other or wanted to meet.
  2. When Levi contemplated being gay, he imagined Maery in his bed, and unlike the random people he previously imagined, he didn’t want to downright kick her off the bed. I mean, does that sound like he has the hots for his fiancée to you? ?
  3. Previously, as Levi mentioned, and was even scolded by Noah due to, the two of them never went anywhere besides to lunch and official events. How is it possible to date for 6 years without actually going on any dates?
  4. Back when Levi wanted to safeguard Noah’s chastity, he claimed that neither sex nor kissing was allowed before the wedding. At the time, everyone thought he was bullshitting or being a hypocrite by claiming he had not even kissed his fiancée. But actually, he was telling the truth.
  5. In that same situation, Noah had misunderstood what Levi was saying and thought that Levi didn’t want Noah to have sex before he, Levi, lost his own chastity. In that situation, Levi thought something along the lines of, then, if I don’t lose my chastity, does that mean that no one gets to eat my cabbage? And was fine with it. How would a normal person be willing to not sleep with their wife just to keep his brother-in-law a virgin? ?
  6. In the first meeting between Levi and Noah, Noah said that he’d heard about Levi from his sister. And Levi’s first thoughts were ‘it better not be any black history! Or see how I’ll get back to her!’ What kind of a loving relationship is this when the groom’s first thought is that the bride talked shit about him to her brother? ?
  7. Speaking of that first meeting, Levi only met his fiancée’s precious baby brother a week before the wedding! How would a proper boyfriend not even get a proper introduction to his bride’s brother for 6 years? Clearly, Maery had quite a bit of reluctance for the two of them to meet. She didn’t wish for the fake relationship to be exposed and also didn’t want her precious baby brother to associate with the likes of Astar Levi. Especially since she clearly remembered that time her brother had been scared of Levi.
  8. Levi might have all kinds of issues, but actually, he is a very loyal person. If he had any romantic feelings for/attachments to Maery, he wouldn’t have fallen for Noah that quickly. Or realized the nature of his feelings and decided to get together with him no matter what. Also, it would be a bit illogical to expect a slag who had cheated on his significant other before to not do it again. And I don’t do slag MLs in this story. They might be all kinds of crazy, but they are all very loyal, obsessive, and possessive towards the one they love. And while they might have other romantic entanglements before meeting MC, they never really loved those people, and the people in question should have been aware of it. ML, no matter the lifetime, is simply not the type to play with the feelings of others. Unless it’s for revenge on his enemies.

P.S. Also, I’ve given you guys several clues that Maery is a fujoshi before:

  1. She told Noah happily that she always thought his partner might be a guy.
  2. She could also list all the prominent guys chasing her brother even though the person in question had no idea those people were chasing him. Maery clearly had a special interest in her brother’s romantic life. Gay romantic life.
  3. It was due to Maery that Trey was chosen to become her brother’s bodyguard. Thinking that this person will be by her brother’s side all day, how could her fujoshi self not pick a handsome and young gay bachelor? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  4. Cordia mommy mentioned that she knew about Studmuffin and Cupcake BL drama because Maery was watching it. That should have been a clear giveaway of her fujoshi identity!
  5. There is one clue I’ve given very early on, but I can’t reveal it yet because it is related to a minor spoiler. I’ll talk about it after it is actually revealed.

5