Book 1: Chapter 6 – “Fallen Star.” (part 1)
5.6k 27 164
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alpha scanned the approaching group and was surprised to find that they appeared human for all intents and purposes. Sure, the Federation had encountered Humanoid Lifeforms before, but Humans themselves were scarce. In fact, of all the human-inhabited worlds they had "discovered," everyone could be traced back to either Federation ships thought lost of destroyed millennia ago, Pirate bases who'd managed to stay undetected for long periods of time, or very rarely, the odd colony that was somehow simply forgotten.

Could this world be similar? Might they also have had some connection to the Federation in the distant past? Alpha couldn't dismiss the possibility. But then again, it might merely be a matter of convergent evolution. Sure, Humanoid alien life could be very similar, but there was always something... different, that set them apart. It seemed that only time would tell.

As Alpha was lost in thought, Jīshí cracked her neck and lounged against the shotgun seat like a Queen on her throne. When she spoke, she used the lofty and regal voice from when she first encountered Alpha.

[Jīshí] - "Let me do the talking. I know this group. They're with the Origin Sect, one of the oldest and most powerful groups on this continent. While not a major threat, things could get... difficult, if not handled properly."

Jīshí looked down at Alpha as if to emphasize her point.

[Alpha] - "Why are you looking at me for?! I know how to diplomatize, dang it!"

Jīshí gave the AI a look of doubt,

[Jīshí] - "Proper diplomacy does not start at the barrel of a gun... "

[Alpha] - "I could argue otherwise, but fine, do your thing."

Alpha wasn't happy with being ordered around (only the General could do that!). But he wasn't stupid enough to not recognize his situation. He was on an unknown, hostile world, with no connection to the Federation, no means to resupply, and little information on the natives' capabilities and strengths. The Media may have called Alpha "trigger happy" in the past, even "reckless" or "psychopathic," but at the end of the day, he was a Federation Vanguard. He understood the importance of information gathering and scouting. He may have liked more... direct, confrontations, but he could be sly and guileful when needed.

Jīshí gave the AI a moment of lengthy consideration before snapping her fingers.

The earth rumbled, and several white marble pillars erupted from the ground on either side of them. From under and to the pillars' side rose a black stone slab, forming a simple but elegant floor, topped with a golden grass carpet, running end to end. The sides of the slab then shifted up, forming stone walls, delicately carved with a wide array of motifs and scenes; from deep, dark caves to swaying fields and towering mountains, they seemed almost lifelike in their detail. The walls rose to a little over 5 feet before coming to a stop, leaving the sky above and the surrounding plains exposed, as if to say, "even this, is my domain."

With the sound of shifting stone, the hastily built "room," seemingly half throne room and half temple, was complete, easily holding the large, fast approaching group.

Now, they just had to wait for their "guests."


Wu Song starred off into the distance at the blurry figure of their target. It was still too far away to make much out, but it seemed to be a single figure standing on top of some kind of Demon Beast from what he could tell. Just great, if the Mysterious Senior turned out to be some kind of Beast-tamer, this could be more of a pain that he initially thought. Who knew how many enemies lurked just below the surface? Ready to drag them under at the slightest provocation. Still, he had a duty to fulfill.

When the figures stopped their advance, however, Wu Song quickly called over the group of {Earthly Transcendents};

[Wu Song] - "Start preparing everyone. It seems like we've been spotted..."

As if to answer him, the ground began to rumble as a structure quickly rose around the figures in the distance. Wu Song paused in consideration at the sight; why did that structure seem so familiar? The feeling of familiarity (and dread) only grew as his group drew closer. When they finally stopped in front of an odd, throne-room like structure, Wu Song's heart was nearly beating out of his chest, and sweat beaded on his forehead.

Why did it have to be 'Her'?

Despite his desire to turn around and run, he swallowed and stepped down from the Flying Treasure. There was no turning back. The Fallen Star was too crucial to the Sect to run away now. He ordered the {Mortal Foundation} to remain while calling the {Earthly Transcendents} to follow closely behind. Most of the younger generation seemed confused about why their Elder was behaving so cautiously. Still, those older (or wiser) trembled slightly, seeming to recognize the arrogant figure that stared down at them from the other side of the room.

Wu Song and his group neared the strange-looking "throne," then as one, fell to their knees and cupped their hand in a bow. Wu Song spoke, not daring to lift his eyes to meet the woman on the throne's burning gaze.

[Wu Song] - "Wu Song, 3rd Elder of the Origin Sect, greets the Lady of the Grassy Sea."

The figure on the throne was silent for a moment before leaning her head on her hand in a bored manner and speaking;

[Jīshí] - "Greetings, little Wu Song. It has been a long time. I am pleased to see how much you have grown. It is good to see that my faith in you was not misplaced."

[Wu Song] - "It is only thanks to your Lady's blessing that I have come so far. This humble one, thanks you for your generosity."

[Jīshí] - "As you should... Now, tell me, little Wu Song, why is it you have entered my Court? I do believe that the agreement between your Sect Master and myself was that you would inform me before treading so deeply into my realm." 

Wu Song twitched at the mention of the treaty. In that regard, she wasn't wrong, though, at the same time, they had never planned to come this far into the Grassy Sea to start with. He paused a moment, thinking of how to phrase his next words, lest he lose his head.

[Wu Song] - "I apologize, Great Senior. We were desperate and did not consider all of the possibilities of the situation. We should have contacted your Ladyship as soon as the situation occurred."

[Jīshí] - "And what possible situation could have pushed the great Origin Sect to break a century-old treaty and invade my lands?"

Wu Song bowed lower and answered.

[Wu Song] -"M-my Lady, it goes like this. Several nights ago, our revered 5th Elder, Chang Xiurong, divined the coming of a Fallen Star near our borders..."

[Jīshí] - "Fallen Stars can be quite valuable, but does my goodwill mean so much less than a petty trinket to the Origin Sect?"

Sweating buckets now, Wu Song stuttered out;

[Wu Song] -"N-no, my Lady! Of course not! However, the 5th Elder insisted on collecting the Fallen Star. According to her, there was something 'different' about this one. Something she couldn't pin down, but that left her with a feeling of dread. She was adamant, that whatever it was, it could not fall into the wrong hands. Or else it would lead to some great catastrophe the likes we have not seen in millennia... Despite the proximity to your borders, the Sect Master gave her the okay to collect the artifact. Unfortunately, she never returned..."

Jīshí could feel her eye twitch as she silently cursed the AI beneath her. What kind of trouble had he stirred up already? Though she guessed she should have seen this coming as well, she'd seen his History and his confrontation with the Demon Beast when he had first awoken. If she'd have put more thought into it, she might have made the connection between the creature and the Origin Sect's 5th Elder. It wasn't like Black Flood Dragons were so common (though, to be fair, she'd only ever seen the 5th Elder in her human form).

But what's done is done. She could only attempt to maintain her composure and defuse the situation.

[Wu Song] -"... When we finally tracked down her Soul Beacon, the Elder was found gravely wounded, and the Fallen Star was nowhere to be found. We assumed that in her attempt to collect the artifact, the Elder encountered a powerful Cultivator, who had attacked and stolen the Fallen Star. It was then that we decided to follow after the supposed thief. Please understand, my Lady, if we had not thought the possible consequences dire enough, we would never have intruded on your domain."

Jīshí looked down with a bored expression and nodded.

[Jīshí] - "A plausible enough story, yet..."

At that moment, Fang Peng jumped to his feet,

[Fang Peng] - "Plausible my arse!! We're tel..."

Before he could speak another word, there was a roaring boom, and Fang Peng was thrown backward and out the entrance. A spray of blood erupting from his chest as an object traveling faster than even Wu Song could perceive, slammed into him, leaving the air feeling charged and ionized, like before a thunderstorm.

Wu Song felt a bit of whiplash as he tore his eyes from the path of his disciple, back towards the Greater Elemental. To his horror, he realized that the strange metal object he assumed was a throne was moving. There was a whirling sound and the clang of metal as the large object rose, standing on four armored, crab-like legs. It was the that Wu Song noticed the strange, horn/spine looking protrusion sticking out from one of the legs. Its tip was smoking and glowing a dull red as arcs of lightning danced along its length.

Wu Song shuttered as his eyes flickered from the still (though thankfully, breathing) form of his disciple and the strange metal monster in front of him. The old man broke out into a cold sweat when he noticed several more of the peculiar "horns" unnaturally turn and point themselves towards the group.

The Lady of the Grassy Sea stood and slammed her foot a few times into the object, a flustered look crossing her face for only a moment before the cold mask returned. The Lady gave an awkward cough before turning back to the gathered group and speaking down her nose.

[Jīshí] - "Ahem... And who permitted you to speak?"

Wu Song and the group bowed even deeper, their heads to the floor.

[Wu Song] -"This humble one apologizes for my disciple's behavior. I beg your mercy for his sake. He is still a child and has much to learn."

Jīshí squinted her eyes and frowned as if giving his words consideration. She then sighed and waved her hand. Qi Mingxi stood from her spot, then bowing deep, turned, and rushed to Fang Peng's side to administer care. Jīshí sat back down and went back to lounging.

[Jīshí] - "Very well. As I respect your dedication, Wu Song, I'll spare the boy... this once."

[Wu Song] -"Thank you, your Lady!"

Jīshí looked down at the older man and shook his head. She knew the man was both cunning and meticulous, if not very ambitious. It was the reason he'd caught her eye all those years ago. How had he ended up with such a dim-witted disciple? More than that, how had he made such an obvious and simple mistake as the situation they now found themselves in?

[Jīshí] - "... As I was saying... you disappoint me, Wu Song. You seem to be jumping to several conclusions. That is very unlike you."

Wu Song jumped as if shocked and asked in a questioning tone.

[Wu Song] -"My Lady?"

[Jīshí] - "First, you assume that I was unaware of something like a Fallen Star in my Territory. Had your Sect bothered to contact me with this information ahead of time, I would have been more than glad to offer my assistance. Secondly, you seem to think I would have allowed a stranger powerful enough to threaten Chang Xiurong, to simply wander my lands undeterred."

[Wu Song] -"My Lady, No! We... "

Jīshí raised her hand to silence the man,

[Jīshí] - "And yet, here you are, Wu Song... So tell me. What seems strange in all of this?"

Wu Song's eyes flickered back and forth, the gears in his mind desperately trying to piece together the clues laid out for him. Suddenly, his eyes flickered over the strange metal crab creature the Greater Elemental stood on, and the pieces fell into place. His heart sank as the realization dawned on him.

[Wu Song] -"Th-there was never any intruder, my Lady. The Star had been claimed before Chang Xiurong even arrived... by your Grace..."

Jīshí smiled for the first time a small light in her eyes twinkling with mischief, though she neither confirmed nor denied the man's words. As for Alpha, he could only grumble beneath her.

[Jīshí] - "So, where does that leave us now, Wu Song? Does the Origin Sect seek to take what doesn't belong to them? Have you degraded so far as to become bandits, breaking into another's home?"

[Wu Song] -"No! of course not! We would never sink so low. We are Cultivators, not Thieves! But surely we can come to some understanding! This Fallen Star, it's not like the others. It's dangerous; if it's not properly controlled, there is no telling the consequences!"

[Jīshí] - "I know very well what it is, Child, and what it is capable of. More so than you understand. But that is all the more reason for me to ask you. Why should I hand it over now? You mortals have a habit of meddling in things that are beyond you, and it is often me and my kin that has to clean up."

Wu Song stuttered, trying to think of any way to resound, but coming up short.

[???] - "Come now, Jīshí. I know you've always been the stubborn type. But I've never known you to be greedy as well. Since when have the Elementals ever cared for the artifacts of Mortals?"

Suddenly, Wu Song felt a hand on his shoulder. He turned in surprise to see the form of a young man with jet black hair standing beside him. Wu Song's heart leaped as he shouted in joy.

[Wu Song] -"Sect Master!"

In the blink of an eye, one of the nearby stone pillars bubbled, and a needle-sharp stone lance sprang forth at mind-boggling speeds, stopping only millimeters from the young man's throat.

[Jīshí] - "Yeom Ki... How dare you show yourself in front of me, after what you did..."

[Yeom Ki] - "As beautiful and feisty as ever, I see. Come now Jīshí, what is a little kiss between friends?"

Yeom Ki's form flickered and vanished, just as another spike lanced up from the ground, aiming for the base of his neck. He appeared a few feet away, a bead of sweat falling down his temple as he laughed nervously.

[Yeom Ki] - "Hahaha. It seems you've managed to improve yet again. I can't seem to keep up, can I?"

The spikes dissolved into fine sand, as Jīshí leaned back in her seat, a look of frustration, embarrassment, and anger flashing in equal parts across her pretty face.

[Jīshí] - "You're quite the pest, you know that? I've recently come across a wide array of new Knowledge. I'd be more than will to test out my theories on you, 'Boy,' if you persist on not taking 'No' for an answer."

[Yeom Ki] - "That sounds like a date to me! I'm nothing if not persistent... How about we discuss this whole matter o..v.. er......"

As Yeom Ki's voice trailed off as his eyes flashed over Jīshí's "throne." A peculiar mix of surprise, confusion, and disbelief marred his face as he stared at the strange metal object. As he tilted his head and furrowed his brow, a single question popped into his mind;

"Is that a Tachikoma?!"

164