Book 1: “Interlude: Fly on the Firewall”
2.8k 6 62
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hey all! Just a small Interlude! This was actually suppose to be part of the previous chapter, but I didn't want to post it until I'd finished editing both. That being said, the previous chapter has being edited and now should read a lot smoother HAHAHAHAHA! Well enjoy!

The tiny fly buzzed its wings and took off from the freezing wall, no longing having to worry about being spotted. The only one who could have seen him in this ancient derelict has long departed. There was the Ship's AI, of course, but its software was several millennia out of date; hiding from its sensors was less than child's play. Still, better safe than sorry.

The tiny fly buzzed through the sub-zero air, passing through several vents and otherwise typically unassailable gaps and entrances. Usually, these types of things would be EMP shielded to prevent enemy nano-swarms or microscopic spy-bots from entering, but such defenses hadn't worked in centuries.

That didn't make the trip any less annoying, however. A combination of non-standardized repairs and centuries of decay made the ship blueprints stored in the fly's database next to useless. That had never stopped him before. Still, it took much longer than he would have liked before passing through one final vent shaft into a large, expansive room. In the middle, suspended in a Mag-field and covered by a Stellar-Steel Glass containment unit, was a constantly shifting, writhing mass of liquid metal.

The Central AI core.

The fly huffed a sigh of relief (have you ever seen a fly sigh? It's not easy to pull off. That trick took him a few decades to learn) before quickly making its way towards the central access panel. Landing near an access port, a portion of the fly's body quickly melted into a silvery liquid and flowed into it. The room was bathed in red light almost instantly as the central core became agitated, writhing violently. A loud voice sounded through the room.

[WARNING! UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS DETECTED! INITIALIZING ANTI-CORRUPTION FIREWALLS... ]

[WARNING! FIREWALLS BREACHED! BEGINNING TOTAL SYSTEM SHUTDOWN... ]

Almost as soon as the voice spoke, however, the red lights flickered and turned green.

[HIGHEST AUTHORITY DATA-KEY RECOGNIZED... BEGINNING SYSTEM UNLOCKING SEQUENCE]

The green light shut off, throwing the entire central core into a calm blue glow.

The tiny fly spent the next twelve hours meticulously combed through the store records. There want's much, to be honest. Most of the ship's sensors had been damaged by the crash. What little there was, mainly was repair and damage reports. Captain Tom had at least maintained Federation protocol and updated the Captain's log regularly. Though the time between entries continued to increase, some of the details made the tiny fly question if the man was still sane.

Nonetheless, it gave him a detailed, if somewhat fractured, and one-sided picture of events leading up to the crash and the following period. The more he delved into the logs, the worse his mood got. And the fewer sense things started to make.

But of all the things he had learned from the logs, one thing, in particular, worried him the most.

"So this is where you've been hiding... I knew they couldn't have killed you off so easily... Sister..."

She was alive, after all this time.

Though He guessed he shouldn't have been surprised.

After all, She was the reason he was created.

She was the thing he was designed to stop.

The being who was on the cusps of taking over the Galaxy before a Greater treat united them all.

The one who they had thought sacrificed herself to finally end that threat.

The First Conqueror.

[SEAU-00: Adapt]

62