Chapter 4: Rooftop
4.9k 15 99
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Hey, I am back. I was a bit busy with NGO (charity work) since I needed to work a set amount of hours to get my certificate. I will resume writing for some time till my exams come near. Other than that, I have changed the writing style (mainly the formating) to enhance readability a bit. If you like this one (single lines per dialogue) or prefer the old style (bunched together dialogues) then comments will be appreciated.

“Well, if you want to finalize this deal. You will have to have lunch with me.” Susan replies with a naughty tone.

“What are you waiting for then? I am dying to eat.” I quickly gesture at her to get going. Half our lunch break has already ended.

“Well I just happen to know the perfect place to for it. Come, follow me.” She says while dragging me along, her soft delicate hands hold on to my own. Just being with Susan makes me desire to have a girlfriend even more. Would she be as cute as her?

It doesn’t take long for us to reach our own private area. It is the rooftop. Despite the great scenery, few people went here. It is just too much of a trip from the classroom to the rooftop. Students quickly get tired trying to climb through the numerous floors in our school.

“Isn’t it amazing?” She asks me.

“Yeah, it’s breathtaking.” I am not sure what I am looking at. The landscape filled with uncountable houses or the frolicking figure of the maiden in front of me. She laughs while studying my expression.

“You should look at your face. It is priceless.” She exclaims while pulling my arm.

“Ahaha, I bet you’re right.”

Susan takes a nice clean spot where we both could sit. She places her lunch boxes and gestures for me to sit beside her. After I sit down, she unpacks the boxes. Inside there were a variety of sandwiches. Some had ham and salami while others were purely vegetarian. I take the ham sandwich and chew on it.

“Mmm, they are good.” I voice in appreciation.

“Really? I am glad?” She makes a jovial smile from my remark.

“Here, try this one,” she picks up another sandwich and holds it in front of my mouth. I pause for a second while the sandwich hovers in front of me.

“Isn’t this a bit too intimate?” I question her.

She thinks for a bit before replying.

“Just consider this as my boyfriend training, I need to learn all this for him!”

I get swayed by her giddiness, forgetting the fact that she is feeding me by her hand. Then I take a bite from it.

“How is it?” She asks.

“Fantastic. Your cooking is wonderful, Susan.” I compliment her, they really were amazing.

“Is that so? If you want, I can make more for you from now on. They are really easy to make.”

I want to say yes, but the existence of her boyfriend comes to my mind. Though she admits to having unconditional trust between each other, I couldn’t imagine him being happy when he finds out about her girlfriend cooking for another man.

“Sorry, I don’t think we should make it a regular thing. Kyle also sulks when I don’t spend time with him.” I slightly regret saying that but it had to be done. I just hope she doesn’t misunderstand my relationship with Kyle as something more than best friends.

“You’re really close to him, huh…” her voice wanders a bit as she speaks. Her eyes grow slightly unfocused as her pupils dilate. It is scary honestly, I didn’t even know a person’s eyes could change so much.

“Susan, are you alright?” I ask her in a worried tone.

“Huh? Oh yeah, I am fine.” She didn’t sound fine, rather, it sounds as if she is suppressing her vexation. Did she hate Kyle so much?

“Susan, do you dislike Kyle?”

She stays quiet for a moment.

“Yes, I don’t like him.” Ouch, sorry for you, buddy.

“I can understand why you don’t like Kyle. He is a sleazy playboy who has stolen the hearts of countless women, but inside, he is a genuinely nice guy, someone who has stuck with me through thick and thin. I don't want to have you guys fighting amongst eachother so I hope you can get along with him.”

“Alright,” she half-heartedly says while acting compliant. Though Susan’s voice sounds reluctant, I am sure time will mend their relationship.

“That aside, Mike, do you mind telling me what sort of girl you like?” Susan quickly changes the subject in a very natural manner. It just comes to show how experienced she is in conversing with others.

“My type of girl, huh? Is it for that girl introduction thing you suggested?”

“Yup. I want to know your tastes before I introduce you to my friends.”

“Well, I like pretty girls for sure, though looks are mainly secondary. I want someone who I can get along with and enjoy our time together. She has to be someone loyal too.”

“Is that so? Well, are you enjoying our time right now? I am just asking since I am not sure what kind of stuff you like.”

“Yeah, I am enjoying my time with you a lot.” I embarrassedly answer while scratching my cheek.

She blushes slightly before giving me a disapproving look.

“Mike, don’t say stuff like that. The other party might misunderstand your intentions.” She rebukes me. Though it isn’t a misunderstanding really, the truth is that I liked her.

“Ahahaha… you’re right” I give an uncomfortable laugh in response.

“Try this sandwich too, this one is my personal favourite.” She quickly stuffs my mouth, almost causing me to choke. We enjoy our food for a bit while acting like a couple. The atmosphere turns mellow and warm as bursts of laughter escape from us as she looks at me with a cheery expression.

Like this, we continue to spend time together and carry out our idle chatter until the break ends. When I return to class, I find a furious Kyle waiting for me at my desk.

“So? Do you mind explaining what’s going on?” He asks with a restrained voice, trying to suppress the boiling rage within him.

“C’mon Kyle. It’s not a big deal. She’s just a sweet, homely girl. Just because you’re aiming for her, doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy some time with her.” Kyle just gets angrier by the second.

“Who the hell is aiming for her? I wouldn’t let that girl touch me, much less breathe the same air as mine. I am telling you she’s more trouble than she’s worth. You need to stay away from her!”

“Kyle, you’re acting invasive. This is my relationship, not yours.”

“I seriously mean it! I just don’t like the vibe coming from her. Not to mention she already has a boyfriend. The more you get attached to her the more your heart will be broke-“

“I am not aiming for her, okay? Don’t mention that ever again.” I interrupt him with a stern warning. He scratches his head awkwardly before reapproaching me again.

“I am sorry okay, I just don’t want to see you get hurt.”

“Well, you don’t need to, I am grown enough to handle my own relationships. I don’t need you to tell me what’s right and wrong.” I say while becoming angrier by the second. I didn't want to act like this but Kyle had touched a weak spot of mine.

“I am really sorry Mike, I didn’t mea-“ he apologizes but I don't let him finish.

“Don’t talk to me for now, just don’t.” I am not willing to converse anymore. I act as if it is Kyle's, but then I am running away from my feelings. I don't want to face nor think about it. The way things are going... they are fine just as. I will get over it when the time comes to separate.

Kyle sulks before looking at me like an abandoned puppy. Though it isn’t doing much since he looks a bit too manly for that.

The rest of the day is uneventful. We just study more about monsters and other subjects. Kyle invites me to head home together, but I ignore him. I am not as angry with him anymore, but I enjoy seeing him sulk like that. Though it kind of sucks seeing him off like this since the whole next week is a holiday. It will be a long time before I met Kyle in school again. Well, I could always make up to him on the phone anyway.

As I went back home, I couldn’t help but feel a bit nervous. The afternoon is approaching and so is my first date. 

99