Chapter 4: An Addition to the Family
39 6 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      "So Dorian, what exactly happened for there to be a single survivor and for you to be caked in blood?" Uraz said impatiently. Everyone who worked at the guild from the Master to the average workers had been anxiously awaiting my return with news of what happened. "Well sir, after I'd headed for the keep immediately and I found it completely garrisoned by thirty-eight goblins and eight trolls - the scout was right on that front.

      "I'd snuck in and dealt with the front watch then moved into the courtyard. I decided to sneak further towards what I correctly assumed to be the prisons. I found the adventurers there. Three were already dead, all males. I went further in and found Clarys and another girl." I explained. Uraz piped up during my short break in speaking. "But that would mean two- oh. I see. Was it quick?" Everyone knew what it meant when a girl didn't come back from a job with goblins involved. "Yes, yes it was." Clarys who was at my side at this time fidgeted at the mention of this. Nevertheless, I continued my report.

        "After that, a troll found me and an alarm was rung. I gave Clarys a draught and dealt with the rest of the infestation. We then headed back here at a slowed pace. We were both at the time weakened, her via what was likely torture, and me via combat. After an hour or two we took a short rest and then arrived here. That is all, sir," that had concluded my report. "Thirty-eight goblins? Do you have anything to confirm this number?" Gotta make sure we follow protocol eh? "No sir, my priority had laid in ensuring Clarys' safety, not confirming a body count. If you need confirmation, send a group of C class to confirm it. If there are any remnants they should be able to handle it." 

       "Is that all? he asked, satisfied with my answers. "Uh no, it is not. I would also like to sponsor Clarys until I think her eligible. She had a fire in her when we met." Uraz's eyes practically bulged at that request. "I-I'll allow it but you do how long it has been since you did that? My father wasn't even in his mother's womb at that time!" "It has been a while, huh? Oh well. This is a formal request from A-class adventurer Dorian Lutz to sponsor D-class adventurer Clarys..." I never got her full name now that I think about it. Good thing she spoke up, "Goodfol, Clarys Goodfol." "Yes, that. I formally request to sponsor Clarys Goodfol and to train her to a... satisfactory level." I said that last part with a little grin.

       Uraz probably felt a little defeated because he said with a heavy sigh, "Alright, I don't have a reason to say no, just keep in mind that by sponsoring her you're acting as her guardian, you will have to shelter her, feed her and care for her as any good caretaker would. And that marks the end of your report. You're dismissed." Both Clarys and I breathed a sigh of relief. Beurocracy is a pain. On our way out I heard Uraz mutter, "Why her? She's just a little girl..." 

      And that Uraz, is why I never picked you. You never saw the potential in those you thought weaker. Honestly in that regard, you're a failure to the Orcish race.

      Oh yeah. I'd forgotten about Silt during the report. However she didn't forget about me. She was furiously worried when I first stepped in, covered head to toe in blood with a girl whose clothes were tatters, luckily covering the important parts. I'd asked her to hold off on the questions for later. "Alright, Dori. I think now counts as later. What in Archaios' Grand Name happened to you two?!" "I'll tell you back home, and get a bed ready for her." She looked puzzled at the last part. "Why do we- are we adopting her?" I thought we agreed not to have kids yet!"

       "... Ahaha. You're close. But not quite right. No, I'm not adopting Clarys, no. I've decided to sponsor her." Slit's jaw dropped at that statement. "W-wh, what do you mean sponsored her?!" "Please I already had this talk with Uraz I don't need it again. Look we need a bath. We're going to the bathhouse and we'll come back after getting some clothes for her. I love you, and I'll see you in a bit. I know you have today off so please relax, we can properly talk later. I promise."

4