Chapter 7: Reminiscence Of Old Times
31 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     There weren't too many issues the rest of the way, save for a few more monster attacks and a bandit ambush, luckily that one was at night during my watch. I dealt with them as fast and quietly as I could. Clarys didn't need to bloody her hands with killing people, at least for as long as possible. In this line of work, it's inevitable, but at least I could prepare for it. 

     Clarys had spent her breaks training or reading, which I guess is also training. She's dedicated, I'll give her that. When we get to Randen we'll take a break from training and relax. 

     It took a few days to get from Morden to Randen. During our travels with the caravan, we met other caravans whom ours traded with. Clarys found an orichalcum pendant she adored, and I found myself an orichalcum dirk and an accompanying sheath for it. Might find some use out of this, that or it's going into my horde. Clarys spent the journey training with either her scythe or by reading. She was spending every moment she could to improve, and I won't lie but it made me feel kind of proud.

     When we got to the city Clarys was in awe at the sheer size of the walls and towers. I nudged her side to get her out of her stupor. "C'mon Clarys, you can gawk later, I wanna turn the job in then find a good inn, it's gonna be dark soon." She agreed and we headed to the head of the caravan to let him know our plans. He thanked us for our help and we went past the caravan to the gates.

     It didn't take too long to get to the front of the line, but we had some troubles with the guards there until another guard came and let me in. He had better-looking clothing that resembled the duchess' guard's clothes. Guess I'll need to see Ciel soon now even more, huh? It's been a while. We thanked the higher ranking guard and headed into the city.

****

     "Madam, it seems sir Dorian Lutz has arrived in Randen, he had some trouble at the gate, no doubt due to his ears, but it was cleared. Should I send an escort to pick him up?" My butler, Bertram informed me. Dorian?  He's here?! It's been so long since I last saw him, it must've been since the academy in the Isles and he saved me from the bad ending, I thought. I am Duchess Ciel Ne'erevar Cross, the current head of the Cross Ducal family.

     I am also Sienna Harroway. I found myself in my favorite romance game, but as the villainess, and was at the very end when Dorian, a supporting role, saved me. As such I have great gratitude for him. I once thought of trying to 'capture' him but decided against it, it left a bad taste in my mouth. I guess I was reminiscing too long as Bertram repeated himself. "No, let him rest, he's likely to have had a bumpy trip here, so send for him tomorrow at noon." I just remembered some news that felt wrong, "And Bertram? Get some keen-eyed men from the garrison to investigate the border town that was razed. The report says it was bandits but something feels off." He bowed and left. 

      Could this be the start? The game said that war breaks out sometime in the year 549 of the 3rd era, which is this year. I don't remember the specifics but this could be the prelude. I groaned. It's frustrating I can't just prepare for war. People will panic. I need to find a way to avoid it at all costs. It's said to have split the entire continent and have unfathomable damage to everyone. I guess I may have to ask Dorian for his help. And from what I've heard he got himself an apprentice. I think the game said in his background he hadn't taken one in over a century. What is it about this person? Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

     I finished up my work for the day and called a maid to prepare dinner and then a bath. After that, I went to bed exhausted but happy.

****

     We headed to the guildhall first to turn in the job. The inside was crowded with adventurers but I made my way to the receptionist while Clarys waited at the entrance. I quickly turned in the job request and grabbed our pay and we were off to find a suitable inn.

     It didn't take too long to find one. It was named the 'Tipsy Daisy'. The inside had a pleasant scent that resembled flowers. There were a few patrons scattered around here and there. We ordered a meal and two rooms from the innkeeper, who was a minkfolk. I don't see their kind all too often. I had a stew and a cup of wine. Clarys also had a stew but she had some juice instead. After a few bites and some drinks, Clarys asked, "So I have a question for you. Why'd you become an adventurer? I have a bunch of ideas but I wanna know the truth." 

      Guess I was going to tell her eventually. So why not now? "Yeah sure, why not. When I was maybe eight or ten, our small town in Laquis had a troll problem and we couldn't send out guards to deal with them, so we sent out a request for adventurers to handle it. I think a group of B-class showed up, and they knew what they were doing. They asked for as much info as they could and left to kill them."

      "I, being a young kid who never left his small town, snuck out and followed suit. I eventually caught up to them in the middle of the fight. Two trolls were dead and a big one rushed out of the cave they were in. I saw the group's heavy hitters attack it with such power and grace it was like a dance, or a puppet show, with the adventurers the puppeteers. I fell in love with their job immediately. After the slaughter was over I was found out and returned to my parents. They was not happy that their only son had wandered off after the 'dangerous mercenaries'. I was put under house arrest. I could still wander the grounds but couldn't leave. I found a stick about the size of my shortsword and imagined myself as the adventurers. My mother soon caught wind and realized I actually wanted to. So she hired a rather strict tutor with the hopes of me giving up." I smiled as I remembered those times. "Did you?" Clarys asked, taking in every word I uttered.

      "Obviously not, as I'm right here right now telling you the story. Anyways my stews empty and my stomach full, so I'm going to sleep. If I'm right then tomorrow you'll want to make yourself look good." 

      Clarys had an amusing expression of confusion but I didn't humor her. I wanted a rest and I think she did too.

Oof, it's been a while since I've uploaded huh?

Yeah, I kinda found a good manga site and down the rabbit hole I went, spending hours upon hours reading. I really like reading and I found myself unable to write, cuz all I wanted to do was read. I finally got around to it and decided to add some of a new favorite genre - Isekai'd Villainess. It's become a favorite of mine and I wanted to add it in. I also realized that since the mc is centuries old, I have a lot of creative freedom with his backstory, compared to simple human lives, which are around 80 years max here. Anyways I hope you enjoyed the chapter! Next one will have more backstory-ing and more traveling.

3