A world forever changed
65 5 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Our world is a world that lost its light, ours is a world shrouded in darkness.

 

It’s not like we never had the warmth of the sun, because we did. Our history books and words of the old pass on a tale of what our world once was. A world once blessed with the warmth of light, where your sight could see beyond the horizon. A world in which humanity stood above all.

Alas, we have lost that world millennia ago. Tales of the old describe how once what we had, was taken by a being of unknown origin, and immense power.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

 

It was a normal sunny day, an unordinary day like any other. There was no change in winds, no alert from the ever-sensitive animals, no premonition of such an event occurring whatsoever. It just… appeared. A being as giant as the moon simply morphed in from the space itself, glowing in the blazing colours of sun. It parted its four wings wide and roared towards nothing in particular. I will always remember that roar. A soul piercing sound that etched the very meaning of fear into my bones. After the roar came the waves of wind strong as hurricanes, destroying anything weak enough to be destroyed, and people who were simply standing were blown far away. It was a feeling of dread that hit the world in an instant.

I remember watching the live broadcast of the being, and the military forces trying to kill that very being whose voice could cause hurricanes. It was simply a massacre, no matter what the military tried, the being was left unfazed, seemingly focused on the Sun itself and nothing more. What were minutes felt like hours of chaos, until the being finally moved. A single swipe is all it did, yet it destroyed half the continent. After that things moved quite fast. The online feed was cut with that swipe, and moments after it the world started going dark. I thought that this was it, the end of the world. If only that would have been it.

Our light vanished that day, along with the being.

And what was left in its wake was what years later we have started to call an Endless Night. A darkness so suffocating the world went insane in its pursuit of survival. A pursuit to hold the only essence of light we had in the shape of technology.

And so, our world was thrown into the era of war. A fight for the survival of an individual, rather than the whole.

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________ 

 

That is what we are told, a history passed on by the word of mouth across multiple generation.

Of course, there are many more stories passed on that explain what happened after the Endless Night enveloped the world in darkness. But the short version is the world went to war.

Many factions fought others for a single barrel of oil, a single battery was a luxury, and a light bulb was well worth killing your best friend for. It was a world so mad in trying to reach the light, it reverted to the stone ages. After all, there is no resource that lasts forever. And with a population size as massive as it was then, it couldn’t last long either if everyone was taken care of. So, people did what they had to.

But foolish old forgot that in pursuit to gain the resources others had, they burned more resources in return. More so than they would gain. And the funny thing is they either didn’t notice, or they did but didn’t care.

And even the world itself was changing. No light meant many animals were… changing themselves into something more adaptable to the wretched environment that the darkness brought on. All types of vegetation dried out without light, and soon froze due to the cold darkness brought. The world was changing fast into an unhospitable place for humans to live in. What a twisted time it really was.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________

 

And so, the world ended just like that. Everyone fought until everything was gone. The light everyone so desperately wanted, has finally run out. We were broken, simply waiting for our own end. For the cold to eat us away.

The world was finally quiet, was finally calm, while the people that survived the wars, waited for their end. It was a feeling I could never describe. That silence so eerie it was deafening. No one knows how long it passed while we waited to either starve or freeze to death. No one knew how long it has been, until something magical happened.

Stars fell from the ever-dark sky. A first glimpse of natural light anyone has ever seen in decades.

Small sparkling blue lights racing across the sky were in the tens of thousands, if not more. Some around me were scared, some excited, there were a lot of reactions. Mine was simply wonder. Something only my mother has seen when she was young, before the Endless Night, was now covering the world anew. It was a miracle.

But what followed after it was even more shocking for anyone living. Those falling stars each not fell, but landed gently next to each person. After which they burst into a blinding blast of light so strong many cried out in pain.

What was left after those stars burst were weird eggs. Each egg the size of an adult head, yet so different in colours and patterns that cover them.

The moment I laid my eyes upon the egg next to me, I could feel some sort of presence. Something that assured me that this egg is very important to me, that without it, I would never be complete. And the second I laid my palm on the top of the egg, did it start to shine gently. Enveloping me in a warm sort of embrace I only ever felt as a child from my mother.

And what came from the egg sound out such an adorable cry my heart nearly melted. It was a small creature, Fluffy brown fur, cute short feet, a squishy head adorned with long pointy ears, and a tail so huggable I felt the urge to sleep in it. I knew I have never seen such a creature before, or heard of it from any stories or books. Nothing ever mentioned the existence of such a creature. Yet somehow, I knew its name by heart. And it softly left my lips into the world.

 

Eevee.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________

 

That was how our world changed in an instant. Beings with power, born under the dawn of an age where light has run out. Many wars waged with such creatures in control. The lust of humanity sparked anew.

But also, many people once divided, now joined hands to live together in harmony with our new partners bound to our very soul. This world of Endless Night became a new world of…

 

Pokémon.

 

0