Chapter 2- Crash Course
93 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Just like the Character Creation screen, the introduction cinematic was jarring. Trumpets, drums, and other musical instruments sounded as my view was filled with an ocean as I sped towards a large island. "The year is ten thousand B.C., it is a Golden Age of Titans and Magic.' I flew over part of the island, it was ringed with reefs and rocks, but the single safe passage led into a massive harbor that bordered one side of a large city. Crystal spires and marble buildings dominated the architecture. 'Atlantis, heart, and soul of the Atlantean Empire and the birthplace of the Titans, immortal beings and rulers of the Earth. Masters of Science and Magic, and creators of Giants, Monsters, and the Human race...or so they say." The view panned in to reveal beings that were between seven and ten feet tall. Creatures I did not have a name for walked among the populace, including collared and chained Humans.

The view shifted and sped to a palace-like structure built in equal parts of precious metals, stone, and crystal. "The Titans are ruled by Cronus, firstborn of Gia and Uranus.' the view shifted to a Titan that sat on a throne, he was easily ten feet tall, heavily muscled, and had a silver scythe-like weapon etched in Runes and Sigils that glowed with power. 'Tyrant and master politician, Cronus has ruled his people and the world for over a thousand years unchallenged. Yet as the world turns and changes, so do all things." Suddenly I was flying away and the cloud cover eventually pulled back and revealed two great armies fighting.

"Every century Humanity is used in wars instigated by the Titans, their lives spent to carry out Titan politics and their whims. While Humanity is seen as little more than a Slave Race to the Titans, their other creations the Giants and Monsters, are shown more favor and use Humanity for their ends." the battle hit its climax where Humans and all sorts of beings fought each other, yet eventually the Humans were slaughtered by what I assumed were Giants and Monsters of all types.

"Humanity has grown tired of their overlords. Year by year, their fear and hatred grow in equal measure.' I left the battlefield behind as my viewpoint centered on another city, this one cruder and primitive compared to Atlantis. I closed in on a building where a small group of Humans talked in hushed tones until the door burst open, Monsters swarmed in slaughtering all the inhabitants without hesitation or restraint. 'The tyranny and persecution by the other Races have hardened Humanity and a resistance against their overlords has been born and begun to spread throughout all Human dominant cities despite the Titan efforts to squash word and the growing actions of the Human resistance." my viewpoint shifted yet again towards a village where Humans were being rounded up by yet more Monsters but were suddenly attacked by unseen forces.

"Desperation, hope, who knows what will happen, but one thing is certain. Humanity grows tired of the Titans and their tyrannical rule, it is only a matter of time until all-out rebellion ignites around the Atlantean Empire and either Humanity will know freedom or they will be crushed under Titan rule." my view shifted yet again as I hurtled towards a small burning encampment, the ground rushing towards me and I braced myself, prepared to face death but I suddenly stopped inches above the ground as I was released from some hand and landed roughly in the dirt.

I slowly rolled to my feet as I looked around. The small fortified camp was burning a short distance away, Monsters were finishing off any resistance while any captives were rounded up as either a food source, new slaves, or possibly entertainment. The Monsters were primarily Minotaur's, creatures that stood six feet tall, heavily muscled with either the body of man and woman and the heads of cows and bulls. Accompanying them were small green creatures that I assumed were Goblins, but they were known primarily from Norse mythology not Greek, and a few four-legged creatures that looked like a mix of lions and deer of all things.

Before I could move off a hand was clamped over my mouth, "Quiet, the Crocotta have amazing hearing and can easily track Humans. If they sense you, we are both dead.' the man chastised me before slowly releasing me as I gave him a slight nod. 'Who are you?" he asked as I turned to study the armored and bloody form of another man.

"I am Derrick and I assume you are talking about the creature that looks like a mix of lion and deer?' I asked him and he gave a slight nod as he continued to study the Monsters as the fight finally ended and they corralled their captives off. 'Thanks, I don't want to die so soon after arriving here." I told him causing the other man to frown.

"You are Star Born?" the other man softly asked and I shrugged.

"I have no idea what that is?" I told him as we waited for the Monsters to leave the area.

"You are from beyond the stars we see at night, not of this Earth but you are Human. Thus you are deemed a Star Born. This is what you are, correct?" the man asked me.

I shrugged my shoulders, "That is the easiest explanation for how I got here. Yes, I am Human, specifically Athenian Greek.' I told him earning a grimace of distaste from the other man. 'I am Human, which is more than I can say about those things down there. Why did they attack the encampment? How do you know that I was coming?" I asked the other man.

He studied me for a few moments and shook his head, "You are correct, you are Human but that will only get you so far. Trust must be earned. If you wish, you can accompany me or go your own way. If you come with me, we are going to a small village a few miles to the north, from there you can head almost anywhere because it sits astride one of the main trade roads here in the east. As far as how I know you are Star Born, the Seers have foretold of their coming for the last few years, that at first only a few will come but eventually greater numbers will arrive all over the Earth." the man stated and I nodded my head in acceptance.

"Lead the way and I will do my best to follow, but like I said I just arrived and have no experience with this world or anything to wield if we do get in a fight," I told the other man earning yet another grimace.

"We will wait, once they have cleared out of the encampment we will scrounge up what we can then head north. I am Danicus, I am from Sparta.' Danicus relayed his plans as he continued to study the retreating monsters. He started slowly walking down the hill, the night and the Monsters laughter and talking obscuring our passage as we made our way to the burned-out camp. 'Be on your guard, they will sometimes leave small parties behind to ambush any survivors." the man called back to me as we pushed through the darkness to the camp.

Being Human, I couldn't see in darkness, but the fires burning throughout the camp lit up the night and banished most of the shadows. All the dead had been mangled either in battle or fed upon as a quick snack after. I noticed Danicus spat a word I assumed was a curse as he looked around and studied our surroundings. "Can we burn the bodies or is that too dangerous to do?" I asked the other man.

"Tonight, it is too dangerous. Don't worry, it will be taken care of. Scrounge up some equipment, the dead have no need of it." the Spartan simply stated as he continued to scan the darkness around us.

"It seems disrespectful to take from the dead, especially your friends or family," I told him, uncomfortable with touching the dead or looting their bodies.

Danicus snorted in amusement, "They are dead, they would rather what they had helped the living instead of being burned or buried with them." the Spartan advised me and I frowned considering what I knew from ancient burial rights. If any of these men or women had been great leaders or nobility, I was certain he would be saying something else. Yet it was also said Spartans were blunt and practical, less concerned about morality and more about decisiveness and strong leadership.

I studied the bodies around me and zeroed in on one that was wearing robes and had a staff near it, the head and one of the legs was missing but the robes were intact but bloodstained. I touched the body and a small screen appeared in front of me.

<<<>>>

Armor Name: Robes of the Clear Mind
Armor Type: Light Armor; Cotton Robes
Class: Common
Base Defense: 10
Primary Effects...
--- +5 Spirit

Weapon Name: Iron Banded War Staff
Weapon Type: Two-Handed Stave; Iron and Oak Staff
Class: Common
Base Damage: 20
Primary Effect...
--- +5 Intelligence

Loot All? Yes or No

<<<>>>

It was so odd to see a game prompt when I was standing over the corpse of another Human. No wonder they made it mandatory to Log Out weekly, it would be too easy to slip into this world despite the game effects, Monsters, and magic around me. I concentrated on yes and the information, robes, and staff disappeared. "How do I equip the items I find?" I asked Danicus as I looked around.

"Think or say Inventory, it will bring up your Inventory interface and just concentrate on what you want to equip and it will automatically.' the Spartan informed me as I followed his instructions and suddenly I was staring at myself. My shoddy appearance was less than impressive and I had seen bums with more sturdy looking clothing then the simple brown shirt, pants, and shoes. A small square grid was next to my body showing the staff, robes, and what appeared to be a red potion. I ignored the potion and concentrated on the staff and robes and suddenly they appeared on me. 'Hurry up and loot anything else you need or---" he cut himself off as he turned and pulled his sword out of its sheath as he glared at a trio of small green figures charging towards us.

[Savage Goblin] tag appeared above them, each was armed with a small dagger or hatchet, and nothing else. Danicus let out another curse and easily lopped off the head of the nearest one before a second stabbed him in the thigh. The third bypassed the warrior and charged me. I took a nervous breath and battered the Goblin's thrust aside before ramming the staff into the Goblins ribs.

It stumbled backward clutching it ribs as a small red bar appeared over its head, over half of it missing as it hissed something at me. I ignored it as I brought the staff up and then down on its head causing what I assumed was the Monsters health bar to disappear as its head crumpled under the wood and iron. "More are incoming!" I looked up to see another six Savage Goblins charging us, another Goblin that was bigger and carrying a staff was hanging back, and a [Crocotta] was circling our position as it prepared to charge us. Awesome start to the game!!!

2