Chapter 4- City Slicker
55 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Athens of Myths and Legends was different then what I had envisioned the birthplace of democracy should be. Then again on this Earth, Athena did not exist, at least not yet. Titans and their followers ruled the known world. While I had never seen Athens in the real world, I had seen pictures of it and artwork denoting the ancient city as well. Most of that lay unchanged, but other significant changes were readily apparent.

A large harbor was near the city filled with ships, both military and civilian surprisingly, fortifications linked it with the city. The hill where the Acropolis should have been was the center and heart of the city. The Acropolis did not loom over the city, a large fortress did though. A large market bordered one side of the hill the fortress sat upon. A large building I thought might be a temple sat next to the market, and where the statue of Athena should have been, another statue denoting what I assumed was a Titan existed.

I pointed to the large building sitting next to the open market and looked at Danicus in question. "That is the Mage School, anyone can seek training and knowledge from. Once we sell the loot, I would recommend going there. If you still want my assistance after, we can discuss it then. Agreed?" the Spartan asked as we approached the walls circling the city.

"Agreed, I assume that is a Titan?" I asked pointing to the large statue.

"Yes, the Titan Hecate. She oversees Athens and the Mage School here for the Titans. She has ruled here for hundreds of years...Be weary Star Born, she is the friendliest Titan, but she is still a Titan. Do not trust her and do not reveal what you are to those you do not trust." Danicus advised me and I agreed with him.

The Titans considered Humans as little better than animals. I did not doubt in my mind if they found out I existed in this world, that they would capture me just to experiment on me and to find out everything they could about the Star Born. If everything went according to plan, Jacobs's game world would launch in a little over two years at the four to one-time compression. I also wondered if the view of the city outside the walls would make it past the editors Jacob had hired to cut my videos.

I noticed immediately as we approached the open gates, that it was guarded by Humans and Monsters alike. Minotaur's, Centaurs, and women that were a mix of goat and humans but had hair made of fire rounded out the Monster contingent. "What are those things?" I asked pointing to the unknown Monsters and Danicus grabbed my hand and yanked it down.

"Don't draw attention to yourself!' he snapped at me. 'They are Empusa, also known as Demons. They are masters of Fire magic, but they are also quick with whips and blades. Do not underestimate them because they are females." the Spartan relayed as we walked through the open gates.

I wondered if the Empusa were the precursors to the Succubae of Christian lore. Based on their looks alone I wouldn't mind getting to know one of them better, too bad they viewed Humans so badly. "So Titans command Monsters, does that apply to all Monsters or just some?" I asked him as we walked as the number of Humans and Monsters increased as we went deeper into the city.

"All sentient Monsters serve the Titans, the ones more animal than Monster like Chimera's will follow their orders if they are nearby. All sentient Monsters like Goblin's, Minotaur's, Centaurs, all of them follow and worship the Titans. Few Monster Tribes or Clans rebel against the Titan rule." Danicus replied as we walked along the stone street.

"So why do the Titans and other hate Humans so much?" I asked him wondering where the oppression originated in the first place.

Danicus looked around and frowned, "The history lesson can wait, once we sell off the loot we can stop somewhere to grab some lunch and then head to the Mage School." the Spartan replied as we wound our way to the large market near the base of the hill that centered the city. It was a part open-air market, but storefronts bordered all four sides of the large square. I did my best to ignore the spires of the Mage School as I followed Danicus towards a store he knew.

I studied the sign hanging over the door showing a smiling man, [Rory's Emporium for all your Adventuring Needs] appeared. A long name but it described something we needed. Danicus waved at the man that was working on a display stand as we entered. "Welcome back Danicus, I thought you were heading towards Corinth?" the man I assumed was Rory asked but then his eyes landed on me and he raised an inquisitive eyebrow at my presence.

"I was but things changed. This is Derrick, he comes from a very isolated village to the west, he is here to sell off some loot before we head over to the School so he can unlock his Class. He has some Goblin ears as well for the Bounty." Danicus replied as an impish grin grew on the man's face.

"Well any friend of Danicus is welcome here any time, regular Goblin ears are worth one Copper Mark each, anything above that is a Silver Mark apiece. Show me what you got!" the merchant commanded and I gave the Spartan a look, he just nodded and gestured for me to do as Rory asked. After twenty minutes of haggling back and forth, we walked out of the store, I had gained a half dozen Silver Marks for all the crap gear and the ears.

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Cheeky Bastards

Notice: Goblins are the most populace Race on Earth, the breed almost faster than Rabbits and thus can be hunted and killed by anyone, anywhere without repercussions. You have managed to kill several of them and a Goblin Shaman. You have received 500 Experience and your Reputation with Athens and all Human cities have increased.

Note* This Quest is repeatable and can be completed in any Human city.

<<<>>>

1 X Level up!

You have (20) unassigned Attribute Points. Attribute Points can be assigned at any time.

You have (3) unassigned Skill Points. Skill Points can be assigned at any time.

<<<>>>

"I have some money finally at least, so can we get some lunch and you can explain some things to me?" I asked the Spartan and he nodded as he once again led me deeper into the city. We eventually ended up in an area that was obviously a poorer area, but no one gave us a second glance because we were all Human. No Monsters patrolled the streets unlike the richer portions of the city.

"This is the Warrens, Monsters do not come here unless they don't have a choice. The only hold the Titans have here is a small temple that was built here when the city was founded.' Danicus stated as he pointed to a structure that was better built and in better condition than all the others surrounding it. 'That one is dedicated to the Titan Phoebe, the one near the harbor is dedicated to Oceanus, and I believe there is a third temple dedicated to Cronus somewhere in the fortress in the center of the city." the Spartan relayed as we entered a small diner.

Soon a plate with what looked like steak with various vegetables was placed in front of me, another plate was placed between us that had some bread with oil and herbs, finally, a pitcher and two cups were dropped off before the server walked off. "Ok, Cronus and the other Titans were the first creations of Gia and Uranus, the first two Titans to ever exist. Cronus rules his brethren and they follow him through actual devotion or fear. Yet after a thousand years, Cronus and the others created Humanity as a Subject Race to serve them.' Danicus explained as we ate the food. 'Gia and Uranus feared the potential Humans posed, they believed that Humanity would eventually overthrow the Titans so they spawned the Giants and Monsters to serve their older and less numerous brethren." Danicus explained and I frowned confused.

"So, Cronus helped create Humanity but not Giants and Monsters, then why claim they did? Why doesn't Humanity overthrow the Titans or ignore their commands?" I asked as I went back to eating.

"Who knows why they claimed to be the creators of the Giants and Monsters. Does it really matter, a Titan did it and they are loyal to Cronus and the others for the most part?' Danicus replied to my first question. 'As for the second question, we were originally created to serve them. We had no cultural identity, we didn't know anything different, but things have changed and we have grown tired of their rule. However with the Titan's strengths, coupled with the Giant's brutality and Monster numbers, overthrowing the Titans would be impossible to do unless we somehow unite all of Humanity. With the restrictions the Titans have placed on long-distance travel, it is impossible to do at this time. They would just shift troops from other areas they control and overwhelm any rebellion." Danicus explained the reasoning behind humanity's compliance and lack of rebellion towards the overlords.

"So what is with the Temples? Do the Titans actually need the worship from us?" I asked him as I took my first bite of the steak and groaned in appreciation of the taste. The vegetables had been good, but the meat had been seasoned and soaked in something to add an odd taste that somehow completed it all. I made a mental note to ask Merlin about it later.

"As far as I am aware, no the Titans don't need the Temples for anything. I have no idea what purpose they serve other than to remind us who created our Race and who we serve. Another form of oppression that we have to endure.' the Spartan explained. 'Now every Human city is 'ruled' by a Human but they are appointed by Titans. Some Human cities, like Athens and Sparta, have constant Titan visitors to make sure we don't get any ideas about rebelling against their rule." Danicus added as I finished my steak.

"How are they blocking long-distance travel?" I asked him as I tore off a chunk of bread and dipped it in the oil to try it out.

"Portal magic exists, but that will only take you so far. Stationary Portals are required for anything long distance and all of them are closely monitored and controlled by the Titans and their followers. Travel by water could be attempted, but the Monsters of the Aegean or Mediterranean would destroy any ship that traveled too far from the coast." Danicus replied shutting down any thought of traveling by sea to Egypt or Persia.

"Has Cronus ever had any children? I know he has a wife correct?" I asked him wondering how closely this world mirrored ancient myths.

Danicus stopped and frowned before giving me a careful nod, "Yes, the Titan Rhea but no Human has seen her in centuries and no one has ever seen any Titan children of his around. At least none that Cronus claims, some say Atlas is his bastard and that is why Cronus trusts him so much. Who knows for certain. Why?" the Spartan asked and I waved off his question, if the big three Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades didn't exist the fight against the Titans and their followers became all the more difficult. The question was though, which side would I choose to join.

1