Chapter 8- Plus One
36 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Khugrul was sent reeling as Danicus used Shield bash, interrupting the Lich's spell. My minions immediately launched themselves at it as it launched a wave of ice at them, freezing two of my Skeletal Warrior's in place. I launched a Death Bolt at the Lich, it slammed into its chest causing the Minor Lich to glare at me. "Why do you fight me, we should be allies. Join me Necromancer and I will give you the power to free your people from the Titans oppression!" the Lich tempted but I launched another two Death Bolts at it.

"Sorry buddy, the cost of your power is too much, I think I will end the Titans on my terms," I told the Undead who snarled another word as Danicius rammed into it but the Ice Spear slammed into me taking a third of my health with it.

<<<>>>

Debuff Numb: Attack/Movement Speed decreased by 20%, Health Regeneration decreased by 5% (Duration 20 Seconds)
Debuff Frostburn: 3 DPS (Duration 10 Seconds)

<<<>>>

I swiped the notification away as I sent a mental command and my Feral Zombie and it darted foreword silently as it charged the Minor Lich. I considered drinking a Health Potion but I wasn't crippled yet and triggered Death's Embrace.

Black and green energy wreathed my body as I stood back up and pulled a Spirit Potion from my Inventory with thought and launched a steady barrage of Death Bolts at the Lich before downing the potion. It howled in pain as one of Danicus's sword swings sheared off part of one of the Lich's arms. A chunk of its health disappeared with it as well bringing it down about seventy percent Health.

Khugrul tried to backhand Danicus but he stepped back out of range before stabbing out with his sword again as two of me Skeletal Warriors and Zombie joined him in assualting the Undead creature. My other two minions were still frozen in place and based on the timer on my HUD, they would be free in ten seconds, but fighting against a boss that could be the difference between life and death.

I launched another wave of Death Bolts causing the Lich to stagger slightly under my magical assault. It glared at me and its hands glowed again but before it could launch its spell my Minions jumped on top of the Lich causing it to stagger and fall. Its health started to drop rapidly as my Zombie started to tear chunks of its flesh and bones off its body as the Skeletal Warriors and Danicus stabbed into its prone body.

Suddenly the Lich let out a shout and a wave of black and green energy exploded outwards. My Minions were destroyed and Danicus was sent flying off, half his health gone in a blink while I was far enough away I wasn't affected by the attack. The timer for the Freeze Debuff on my remaining Minions ran out and they charged the Lich as it staggered to its feet.

I had enough Spirit so I launched two more Death Bolts, one smacked the Lich in the face earning a critical hit despite its resistance against Death Magic. It snarled and started to cast another spell, but the two spears from the Skeletal Warriors interrupted any casting. Danicus got to his feet and unsteadily moved towards the Lich.

I downed a Spirit Potion as the Lich destroyed one of my remaining Minions as Danicus arrived. He drove his sword into the Lich's side and ripped the blade out causing a gush of black blood to hit the floor as Khugrul screamed in pain for the second time as he collapsed to his knees. The Spartans' next sword stroke removed its head from his shoulders and ended any threat to the Necropolis and the city of Athens.

Several notifications were awaiting me, but I ignored them as I made my way to the Necrotic Well and quickly got the vile I had received as part of the Quest. The water-like substance was equal parts black and green, similar to the magic I had absorbed when I had first received the Necromancer Specialization. The well positively glowed with light, just like a black light from my Earth. I put the stopper into the vial and studied it bringing up its information.

Spoiler

Item Name: Essense of Death
Description: Necrotic Wells are extremely rare and their uses are many. With a vial of liquid Necrotic Energy, you can create many different Elixirs and even powerful poisons.
Dose: 1/1

[collapse]

 

I dismissed the information as I looked around the workroom, while I might not work with an insane Lich it didn't mean he wouldn't have something useful for a new Necromancer. I found a starter Alchemist Set that I tossed into my Inventory, several vials and containers of various material I assumed was needed for Alchemy. I looked at Danicus, but from his seated position he waved me off. "Not my thing, I have the Blacksmith Profession and I am not looking to change that any time soon." the Spartan informed me.

I shrugged my shoulders, I didn't have a Profession yet but I was certain they had some since they offered Non-Combat oriented Classes. I spotted several books and whistled as the information popped up, "He had several Skill Books, Flare, Mage Light, Ward: Alarm, and Graveyard and Tomb Desecration." I called out earning a laugh from the Spartan.

"All those are common Skills, but you would pay a Silver Mark for each one from the Mage School so use them and the last is probably only usable for either a Necromancer or Lich. I don't want or need any of them." Danicus replied as I spotted another book but this one was pitch black and glowed just like the Necrotic Well. I picked it up and frowned as I read the item information.

Spoiler

Item Name: Tome of Necroscience, the Study of Death and the Path between Life and Death
Description: Necroscience is the Mastery of Death Magic, allowing its user to study the various forms of Death Magic and manipulating both the Dead and Undead. Be weary though and do not stray from the path between Life and Death.
Requirement: Must be a Necromancer or Lich to use Skill Book
Instructions: Open to Use

[collapse]

I looked at the warrior, "Hey do you have any idea what Necroscience is?" I asked him and the Spartan frowned and shrugged as he got to his feet. Before he could respond we both heard a low moan, something I would have associated with Zombies before learning they were fairly quiet except for footsteps and hitting things. I tossed the book into my inventory and readied my staff as I moved to a small cubby hidden behind a bookcase and frowned as I studied a blood-covered form in front of us.

No tag or additional information appeared over the blood-covered body, but I was fairly certain that it was female. Other than that I had no idea if it was even Human considering that the being looked like it had been flayed alive. "Umm, what do we do? Kill her and end her misery?" I asked Danicus who cursed upon seeing the body.

"Its a fucking Vampire and you were sent here by one, want to bet he is aware that she is in here?" Danicus asked as he stomped over to the Lich's body to loot it while I considered my options. I moved back to the nearby table and got one of the knives there and sliced my wrist as I held it over a goblet as my Health dropped steadily as the cup filled up.

After it was half full and dropped the contents of a healing potion into the cup before quickly mixing it and moving to the crippled Vampire. I checked to make certain the restraints were intact before I lifted her head and placed the cup to her lips. She jerked slightly as the blood hit her mouth but then she started drinking as I steadily fed her the contents of the cup. Her skin and wounds started healing rapidly, but I was certain that all the damage she had sustained would take more than just the contents of one cup to repair.

"We got loot, here," Danicus called as he walked over joining me in studying the rapidly regenerating Vampire. 'You got some new robes, pants, some rings that I already have, and share of gold and silver. You aren't rich, but you can afford to put a roof over your head if you know where to go with enough left over to buy some supplies as well." the Spartan informed me as I fed the last of the contents of the cup to the Vampire and took the offered items from the warrior and brought up their information.

<<<>>>

Armor Name: Vestments of the Dark Acolyte
Armor Type: Light Armor; Ebonweave, Silver Thread, Robes
Class: Rare
Base Defense: 40
Primary Effects...
--- +10 Intelligence
--- +10 Spirit
Secondary Effects...
--- +5% Damage with Death Bolt, Pestilence, and Locust Swarm

Armor Name: Pants of the Magus
Armor Type: Light Armor; Cloth and Leather Leggings
Class: Uncommon
Base Defense: 30
Primary Effects...
--- +5 Intelligence
--- +5 Spirit

Armor Name: Band of Vitality
Armor Type: Jewelry; Steel Ring
Class: Uncommon
Base Defense: N/A
Primary Effects...
--- +5 Vitality
--- +5% Health Regeneration

Armor Name: Gold Band of Spirit
Armor Type: Jewelry; Gold Ring
Class: Uncommon
Base Defense: N/A
Primary Effects...
--- +5 Spirit
--- +5% Spirit Regeneration

Armor Name: Band of Sound Body
Armor Type: Jewelry; Copper Ring
Class: Uncommon
Base Defense: N/A
Primary Effects...
--- +5 Constitution
--- +5% Stamina Regeneration

<<<>>>

I smiled, the robes were a definite upgrade to the ones I currently wore and everything else was a nice addition. The ten Gold Marks and fifty Silver Marks would keep me fed and a roof over my head for a while if the prices in the poorer quarter weren't too bad. I tossed everything into my Inventory for later review as the Vampire coughed once and looked around before collapsing back into unconsciousness. "What do we do with her?" Danicus asked and I started removing her restraints.

"I am going to take her back to the Mage School and wash my hands of all of this. Hopefully, I can walk away without getting into trouble, meet up later after?" I asked him as I grunted as I picked up the Vampire. While she didn't weigh a lot, it was a dead weight.

"You got her?' Danicus asked and I nodded as I steadied myself and he pulled a Portal Scroll from his inventory and cracked it open. 'When you get done with the Mage School, meet me at the Olive Tree in the Copper Quarter of Athens. Hopefully, you survive whatever your instructor got you into." Danicus commented as I touched the open Portal and suddenly I was standing in the main square in Athens. The sun had not set, but it was getting close so I turned and headed for the Mage School at the best speed I could.

2