Chapter 14- New Ally
29 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I studied the woman before me, there was something off about her looks. I looked over to Danicus, "Her story is her own, but I trust her." he stated and I frowned.

"I don't care if she is Human or not, I care if we can trust her and that she can help us out.' I told him before looking back at the woman. 'There are about thirty Goblins and five Empusa left we need to kill, do you have a problem with helping us kill them?" I asked her and she grimaced as if she had tasted something nasty.

"Not at all, Goblins are a blight upon this world and Empusa are not much better. I am Ava." the woman responded and I offered my hand and after only a slight hesitation she took it. 

After a moment I released her hand, "Ok, we managed to take out two smaller raiding groups they deployed towards the road between Athens and Thebes, we are hoping that we can get them to send the majority, if not the remainder of their forces to the south. If we can get them to do that, we can destroy their camp and hunt them down while they are in the field." I told her and she looked at Danicus who nodded towards her.

"He is a Necromancer, between the two of us and his Minions we managed to destroy two groups, but we are fairly certain they are aware someone or something is killing their raiders." the Spartan told her as we headed back towards the camp the monsters had made. 

"Are there any Shaman's among the Goblins?" Ava asked as she moved smoothly through the dense foliage through the woods. Based on what I was seeing I was beginning to assume she was part Dryad or some other form of forest-dwelling Monster Race. 

"Not that we have encountered or seen, there is a small cave near the camp where they could hide more of their numbers but until we clear the camp we cannot go near the cave," Danicus stated and I frowned at missing that feature when studying the camp the first time. It was a possible nasty surprise Danicus had found before we had ambushed the second group and one that worried him. 

According to the Spartan, Goblins liked to build underground warrens, if they had done so here we could be facing a far larger group than what we had seen so far. "Have you confirmed if it is a Goblin Warren or not?" Ava asked and I shook my head. 

"It's too close to the main camp and anyone except those with Stealth Skills will be easily detected by the camp's occupants. So we have no idea if it is a small cave or part of a larger underground network. If it is a Warren, I think we should just collapse the entrance and leave clearing it for another time." I told Ava as we slowed as we approached the camp.

The woman studied the camp below, "What is your plan? It's obvious they are preparing for an attack or moving out in force." she commented as she studied the layout. 

"If they move out in force, once they are far enough out hit the camp and destroy it. Leave nothing for them to return too then hunt them down before scouting out the cave, I don't want to leave a force on the surface behind us if it is a warren." Danicus explained his plan as we studied the camp below from the shadows of the tree line above it.

Then portions of the large group filtered out of the camp, over the next few minutes about twenty Goblins and four of the Empusa left the camp leaving twelve Goblins and one Empusa within the camp for us to face. The key was to wait for the larger group to get far enough away so they couldn't support the camp. Ava stood and with a nod towards us took off after those moving south. "She will monitor them and once they are far enough away, she will loop back here and we will deal with the camp," Danicus told me so we sat and waited. 

Thirty minutes later Ava returned, dropping out of Stealth as she did. "They have moved south and broken into smaller groups, we can hit the camp hard and destroy it before they come back." the Ranger stated Danicus looked at me.

"Assign your Zombies to me, take your Skeletons to the north side of the camp, once there send a message and we will begin the attack. We will hit them from two sides, none can escape." the Spartan laid out the plan of attack and with a quick mental command, the two Zombies gave me a slight nod as their glowing green eyes fell on the warrior waiting for his command as the four Skeletons fell in around me as I quickly cast Elemental Shield upon our group before taking off at a trot. 

Less than five minutes later I was in position and I sent a quick message to Danicus. While I had four Skeletal Warriors with me, I still felt vulnerable and wish I had more Minions with me. Even if I was willing to invest a Skill Point into Summon Basic Dead, I had no bodies to use currently. I frowned as I watched Danicus stride into sight of the camp flanked by my Zombies. 

The Goblins let out cries and scrambled towards the Spartan and my Minions as I started my cast. I thrust my hand foreword and suddenly another round of screams and cries went up around the camp as I cast Deathground beneath their feet. I sent out a mental command and the four Skeletal Warriors took off at a sprint towards the milling monsters below. 

The Empusa let out a shriek of outrage and started throwing Fireballs towards Danicus and the Zombies. I couldn't do much to help them, but I hit the Empusa with Silence, causing her to let out a shriek of surprise before hitting each of them with Death's Touch. Then Danicus and the Zombies hit the Goblins as arrows from Ava started raining down on them adding to the growing chaos. 

Then the Skeletons arrived, bursting from the dense foliage behind them, causing the Empusa to whirl around and start throwing Fireballs at them. I hit each of the Skeletons with Necrotic Mending as the damage started to add up, before downing a Spirit Potion and started firing off Death Bolts. 

In the end, it was just a matter of time until the defenders were all killed. In exchange, I had lost two Skeletons and a Zombie and Danicus had a few scratches but no permanent damage. With the dead Empusa and Goblins, I was easily able to replace my losses before we looted the camp. Most of what we found were trophies which begged the question of where all the loot from their raids went. "Ava, watch the southern approaches while we keep searching. If anyone heads out way give us the heads up and hit them from behind when the fight starts." Danicus told her and the woman nodded before taking off at a loping run. 

"Damn she is fast," I commented as I left my Minions near the southern wall as I followed the Warrior deeper into the camp that stunk. Literally, it smelled of unwashed bodies and other things I had no name for. 

"Yes as you surmised she is more than just Human, but she is a good person and I trust her with my life," Danicus commented and I snorted. 

"I don't care, I don't hate Monsters in general, just those who persecute and kill indiscriminately. If we want a lasting peace between the various Monster Races and Humans, you have to stomp on the elements that are like this." I told him before frowning as I felt something. I closed my eyes and activated Necrotic Sense but beyond my Minions, I couldn't sense anything so I canceled the Spell and activated Arcane Sight. 

Beyond a slight glow around the Spartan from his armor and lines of magic connecting me to my Minions, nothing stood out in my sight but then I saw distortion that shimmered with energy. It was small though and near one of the crude hovels, I spotted a chain and spike driven into the ground linked to something hidden. "I can see you there, you might as well join us," I told whatever it was and a slight ripple revealed a cowering figure of what looked like a dog of some sort. 

It whimpered slightly and flinched as Danicus drew his blade but I placed a hand on his shoulder and shook my head. "He is a prisoner, look at the collar. The spikes are driving into its skin and its bleeding." I told him earning an incredulous look from him.

"Do you know what that thing is, it is a Demon Dog? They come from the Underworld, they are rare creatures and incredibly dangerous, how this group got one I have no idea. It's best to destroy it and send it back to the Underworld." Danicus responded and I shook my head.

"That may be true, but it's a prisoner and a victim to those that are here.' I told him before stepping closer to the Demon Dog causing its whimper to turn into a growl. 'I will free you, will you leave us in peace?" I asked the hound earning an appraising glance from the Demon Dog but no response so I slowly moved closer and pulled the stake out of the ground before touching the collar. The collar was inscribed with various runes and sigils I didn't understand but I assumed this world had Enchanting in it and that was how they were keeping the Demon Dog imprisoned.

Yet despite how complicated the collar was, it was kept on the Demon Dog with a simple latch and no lock at all. I quickly unlatched it and dropped the collar to the ground before stepping back from the Demon Dog. It studied me before shaking itself and looking at its surroundings then Danicus and gave the man a growl before looking at me. Then with a liquid ripple, it grew from the size of a puppy to the size of a Great Dane but I stayed where I was. 

It sniffed at me but before I could say anything Danicus cursed and strode away facing south, "We got incoming, five minutes tops get ready." the Spartan called over his shoulder. 

I looked back at the Demon Dog, "I am sure you understand me, get out of here and live free." I told him but he snarled and bit my hand, but not enough to more than break the skin.

<<<>>>

Notice: A Demon Dog, also known as the Black Dog, Cerberus, Black Hound, Hell Hound, Dread Hound, has offered to become your Familiar. As a Wizard, you may acquire a Familiar. These beings are companions, friends, an ally, and trustworthy confidant that will never betray you. Like you, a Familiar will grow stronger, has a limited Skill Tree, Mental Communications between you two, and can even be Summoned if killed. 

Notice: Would you accept the Familiar Contract with a Level 14 Demon Dog? Yes or No

Notice: You must name your Familiar to complete the Contract. What would you like to name the Level 14 Demon Dog?

<<<>>>

Oh boy...I looked at the Demon Dog who just stared back at me expectantly. "Umm, he wants to be my Familiar," I told the Spartan earning a snort of amusement from the man.

"Why am I not surprised...Well Accept the contract and let's get ready." Danicus responded as I accepted the Contract and I felt a new sense about the Demon Dog, but he was still waiting expectantly for a name. 

1