Chapter 17- Unexpected Visitor
31 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Ok, so week one was a one-to-one ratio time-wise, week two will increase to two-to-one, I assume week three will increase again, and by week four we will be doing the full four-to-one time compression test over long-term?" I asked Jacob as I ate my breakfast.

"Yep, the Persian test subject has already started his second week. We will pull the Norwegian next, then finally the Egyptian after that. So we got four Beta testers currently, once we have all four of you running at a four-to-one ratio, we will bring in the next wave of testers. Each region will end up with ten total and since they are all large areas you might never meet. At that time, we will also launch the Beta Forums so you can communicate in-game." Jacob replied between bites. 

"Any hint on how to unlock Long-Distance travel between the regions. I know it's possible, how can we do it without sparking a war?" I asked and Merlin snorted. 

"Good luck with that flesh bag, Myth's and Legends were designed that conflict between Humanity and the Titans will eventually happen. You cannot stop it, so enjoy the ride." Merlin commented earning a glare from me. 

"Fine, how about where is Atlantis? Is it at the north or south pole? Or somewhere closer?" I asked them and they both smirked at me. 

"Dude, explore and learn, that is the whole point of the game. No major spoilers." Jacob responded while shaking his head.

I sighed in frustration, "Fine, I will as Danicus. How about Necroscience, how normal is that?" I asked him and they looked at each other and shrugged.

"Each of the magics has underlying laws and rules you use when casting a spell, everyone does it on an unconscious level. Necroscience, Pyrokenises, Hydrokenises, and a few others pull back the layers and allow the user to use those various fundamentals individually or combined in new ways. Those that unlock those abilities will be more powerful, but people have to unlock them or learn from someone to access their abilities.' Merlin explained as I continued to eat. 'It takes time to master, but it's worth it and will give you an edge over other players. I would highly recommend you practice and develop those skills as quickly as possible." Merlin stated trying to emphasize his last words. 

"Ok, I got it. If I want to become a bad-ass Necromancer, develop my Necroscience skills. This Stygian Iron questline, is it worth the danger at getting caught by the Titans?" I asked Merlin and Jacob frowned and looked at the A.I.

"How did he get a premium resource like that so early?" Jacob asked and frowned but Merlin held up his hands.

"He ran across a monster raider camp, it had a nearby entrance to the Underworld. You know the chances of a node appearing there as well as I do.' Merlin told Jacob before turning to me. 'Stygian Iron is a premium material, few can work it, and players that want to have to level their blacksmithing skill to level thirty to even smelt it. Only Dwarves can work it, so if a Human wants to learn how, they have to first earn Friendly Reputation with the Dwarves of the north before they can learn to work the metal. Our initial projections for hard-core crafters to take at least six months to learn the basics of using premium materials like Stygian Iron." Merlin stated and I nodded as Jacob relaxed slightly. 

"Ok, but that doesn't answer my question. Is it worth pursuing the quest to see the Dwarf and get something crafted from him?" I asked them and Jacob smiled.

"Let's say this, Premium crafting materials will produce the minimum of an Epic. From what I understand you got two Rare items, so you can use whatever you can get." Jacob advised me and I winced. My gear was poor, but I had only been playing for a week, so it was to be expected, I was nowhere near the end-game content. 

"Level cap, end-game content?" I asked and both of them snorted in amusement. I shrugged my shoulders, the least I could do was hope they would reveal something. Thirty minutes later, I was opening my eyes in the same room I had last seen when I had Logged Out. A blinking Message icon was already waiting for me, but I stretched my body as I got used to being back in the game world. 

For this run, I would be here for two weeks, hopefully, long enough for me to get whatever I was going to get from the Dwarf. I closed my eyes and activated Necrotic Sense and flinched slightly as I detected an Undead downstairs. I frowned and brought up the message and cursed as I quickly equipped all my gear and cursed again as I remember having given my old staff to Danicus to sell to help fund the purchase of a new one. 

I took a breath and quickly checked the Necrotic Sense again, but the Undead had not moved so I canceled the spell. Shadow was still far to the west and alive, but beyond that, I couldn't sense anything else about my Familiar. I headed downstairs and hoped whatever was going on, wasn't anything we couldn't quickly diffuse. 

Danicus sighed as I walked down the stairs and came over to me. "We have a passage on the Theran's Pride, it leaves in an hour. Here is your new staff." the Spartan told me and thrust a staff that was pitch black into my hands, runes that glowed slightly were worked along its length giving it an eerie presence. I felt a slight jolt as I touched it and shivered as I brought up its stats. 

<<<>>>

Weapon Name: Dark Twilight
Weapon Type: Two-Handed Stave; Black Oak, Black Diamond, Staff
Class: Ultra-Rare
Base Damage: 25
Primary Effect...
--- +5 Intelligence
--- +10 Spirit
--- +5% Spirit Regeneration
--- +5% Critical Hit Chance
--- +25% Critical Hit Damage

'With every beginning, there is an end. With every end, there is a beginning. Life and Death, a constant upon this world.'

<<<>>>

"How much did this set me back?" I asked the warrior, it was a nice staff and a major upgrade at this point for me between the increased Spirit and boost to both Critical Hit Chance and Damage, my offensive spells could actually start dealing some damage. 

"Everything you gave me including the staff, but I think it was worth it. Now, what are we going to do about her?" Danicus asked as he pointed to Annalise Gertrude. The better question was how had she tracked us after we had left her family's estate. 

"Has she told you why she was here in the first place?" I asked and the Spartan grimaced. 

"No, she said she would only talk to you. So get rid of her, we have enough problems as is without having a high profile Vampire on our ass." Danicus stated before heading over to the bar and I headed for the table where the Lady of House Nightfall was eating and occasionally glancing around. 

"So what is so important that you tracked me down, Lady Gertrude?" I asked as I sat down opposite her. 

She studied me for a few moments before pouring another cup of tea and placed it in front of me. "I owe you a debt, I am here to see it paid in full." 

I frowned, "Any debt was cleared when your father rescued me. Now, why are you here, no bull shit the truth please." I asked her and a frown marred her features. 

"I owe you, but I don't owe you an explanation. Now I know ship captains prefer for their customers to arrive early, so why don't we head down to the harbor." Annalise replied with a smile and I shook my head.

"Danicus and I are going, you are not coming with us. Understood?" I asked her, annoyed that she was so smug in thinking she was coming with us. 

Her smirk grew more pronounced, "The Theran's Pride was financed by House Blood Dawn, they are close allies of House Nightfall. One word from me and the Captain will refuse you passage. The next ship sailing for Kephallonia that will defy us won't leave for three days.' she replied before leaning closer and whispering softly. 'Do you really want to wait that long Star Born?" she asked as she sat back as I stood over her a Death Bolt conjured in my hand but her smirk was still on her face. 

I snarled as I dismissed the Death Bolt and walked over to the bar and stood next to Danicus. "So she is coming with us?' the Spartan asked and I glared at him before letting out a small nod as the warrior gestured to the bartender who had a bemused smile on his face and placed a small cup in front of me. From the smell it was alcohol, I downed it in one go. 'We can always try and leave her behind on the island once we get done with our business there." he offered and I snorted. 

"Something tells me she isn't going to be that easy to ditch. Until we find out how she tracked us, she can do it again. So go pack up any gear you have and let's head down to the docks, hopefully, we can avoid any more surprises along the way." I told him before I gestured for another shot to be poured as the Spartan moved off towards his room as I placed the brass key on the bar top. 

The bartender swept it up before stepping away as I felt Annalise join me. "Why so glum Derrick, is my company that bad?' the Vampire asked and I turned to stare at the Vampire and actually looked at her. Annalise was five and a half feet tall, probably weighed about a hundred pounds, black hair, and bright green eyes. She wore leather armor and I could see the hilts of a pair of daggers sticking out from her belt so I assumed she was a Rogue of some sort. 'Like what you see?" Annalise asked giving me another smirk. 

"No, you look like trouble.' I commented before downing the second shot and continuing, 'This is what is going to happen. If you want to come, fine but you will pull your own weight. That includes everything in and out of combat. If you betray us or if I think you are a problem, I will kill you and damn the consequences. Is that understood?" I asked her and her smirk turned into a smile as she moved closer so her lips were next to my ear.

"Of course Star Born, I would never betray you.' she replied as she ran her lips down the side of my neck causing me to shiver slightly but I steeled myself as she stepped back as smiled. 'I will meet you at the ship. Don't keep me waiting otherwise I will hunt you down." Annalise stated before turning on her heel and sauntering towards the door. How she walked with leather armor tight enough to mold to every contour of her body I had no idea. 

I looked back at the bartender, "That woman has her eyes set on you lad, a better chance at outrunning a lightning bolt then getting away from her." he commented and I sighed in frustration as Danicus came down the stairs with his gear.

"Well?" the Spartan asked and I shook my head.

"We got a plus one for now. Until we figure out how she tracked us, we have no way of getting rid of her.' I told him and he frowned but nodded as we headed for the door. Twenty minutes later the Theran's Pride came into view. The galley was a mix of cargo and military vessel, with a Scorpion mounted on both the stem and stern, the vessel was equipped to deter both pirates and monsters. Bows, spears, and other armaments were readily apparent on both the crew and organized on the main deck. 'Are they expecting trouble?" I asked the Spartan as we walked up the gangplank.

"Better to be prepared and the Aegean, and all the waters around Greece are dangerous. While the trip is only three days between Corinth and Kephallonia, we can still get attacked all along the way." the Spartan warned me. So six of my twelve days would be spent at sea if we left the island immediately after dropping off the ore. Yet there was no assurance that another ferry to take up back to the mainland so soon. If worse came to worse I could always use Teleport, but I had no idea if there was a city on the island or not. Either way, we had to go so we had to endure whatever was to come. 

1