Anamnesis
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I grasped these claws, hesitantly sliding this frigid metal on to my hands. The weapon formed to fit these fists as the material altered the blades, into a bronze finish. When I awoke in a frozen crystal, clawing my way out to an open cavern. These claws, an extension of this body raised towards Augustine and Elder Selviam, who stared. An intoxication of power flowed up from this action, of scraping the floor while approaching these targets. Elder Selviam summoned a flaming sword, this time a white fire. Intense heat radiated from several yards away, as I clanged these metal claws.

Elder Selviam danced in circles, sliding on the ground like an ice rink. As he came charging from my left side, my body moved to spin. I blocked his attack, his sword stuck between these knuckles. I forced him back a few feet, and he tumbled to the ground. I‌ strode towards Elder Selviam, my weapons aimed at his face. He bit his lip, crawling backwards; his face turned pallid.

“Her eyes…. get away from me...” he held his chest, “Restrain her... Augustine...”

“You want me to use that?” he grabbed a ring, twisting it, “Gladly,”

Augustine vanished in an instant; his speed hypersonic with ease he captured me. I scratched him, then staggered, hugging a nearby wall; before falling into an unconscious state. In the icy tundra with Arachne, who looked to be sweating profusely. I‌ heaved the claws that obliterated the ice beneath them. Arachne grabbed the weapon, and she extended her hand back. A well-sized burn covered her right wrist, which she placed in the snow.

I need you to pick those up,” her lips pinched, “You weren’t ready for those,”

“What do you mean, exactly?” I turned away, “You were the one who said to use them,”

“I was overzealous. We will have to face the consequences.”

“What will happen?”

“You took their life energy, which she feeds off of.”

“So, I strengthened her.”

“We need to return her to the binding cage. Take the claws and run south, do not stop running. I’ll follow behind you...”

My attention drew to the beast with her face planted in the snow, struggling from a forceful hold. As she attempted to escape the bonded rope, that Arachne calmly cut off her. With these claws in my hand, she released her for the hunt. The beast’s toxic energy invaded this area, transforming the thin layers of slush into soot. She barred her teeth, gaining speed with each methodical step.

I‌ trusted Arachne whole heartily, but why? Running for my life, for her mistake. The snow deepened, slowing my pace and hesitant to peer behind me. Until reaching a clearing with an open trench that seemed endless. I‌ leaped to escape her by falling into the crevice, claws in my hand. Only to slam my backside on the hard-black stone, wincing in pain. An adolescent female voice reflected off the stalactites above.

“You are lucky,”  she yelled, “Our powers won’t work here,” 

“Good, I don’t have to deal with you,” I clanked the claws, “You want these?”

“Don’t tease me, I will find you and take them.”

“Goddess,”  Arachne screamed, “You need to climb with the claws,”

“All you care about is your precious Goddess,” she wailed, “What about me?” 

“You are toxic,” she scoffed, “You belong in containment,”

“Wrong thing to say, bitch”

A rush of wind passed behind me; the beast gripped my shoulder. Swinging the claws around, she screamed and held her arm. Rapidly I slipped the weapon into my hands, penetrating the claws in the side of this rocky wall. Using this feeble strength to flee from her clutches. Yet Arachne, in chain form, lowered herself down enough that she wrapped around pulling me out.

“What do I do with these?” I stared at the claws, 

“You need to lock them up,” her voice lowered, “I will show you where,”  she waved her hand.

We marched away from the crevice that shifted briefly, then closed, leaving a slight crack. Enough that this sound traveled from the beast’s shouting from the pit. As we trudged through off the beaten path, reaching a mountainous area. Our elevation increased ever so slightly that the air became thinner. How strange that inside my own mind, a climate affected me physically?

“Arachne, why are we taking a strange path,” I shivered, “And how is it that this feels so real,”

“It envelops you in your own thoughts,” she stopped in her tracks, “And sensations you cannot escape your mind’s eye,”

“So, it’s like a dream?”

“Yes, but you have no control over the outside environment, yet.”

“Yet? so why are you able to manifest spaces?”

“My powers are limited, we really need to get going, Goddess.”

An intense silence between us both as we carefully hiked a ridge. This sudden gust froze me in place; a blizzard ravaged this side of the mountain. Arachne slowed her pace and grabbed my free hand as we pushed against the powerful wind. The claws flowed in the air flow in my left hand. Our steps disappeared in the snow, so no one tracked us, but why? She avoided the obvious question from earlier, knowing that this blizzard formed?

Over the ridge we arrived at an impasse; she peered behind her, taking a left. We reached a steep part of the mountain filled with deep snow. Arachne stared behind me, where a chunk of ice and stone broke off. She winced in pain, clenching her right arm that bled. These eyebrows furrowed, staring at the blood dripping into the snow.

“Arachne?” My eyes watered, “What is going on?”

“Don’t worry about me,” Arachne clenched her teeth, “Just do as I say,”

“What is it you want me to do?”

“Take your fist and punch that chunk. Imagine a shape of an elongated board.”

I readied this stance, punching the stone behind me. Imagining the board that formed elongated but an odd insignia of fire with a handle on the bottom. We both hopped on, Arachne in front steered us down the embankment at a rapid pace. The blizzard still roaring on, she gritted her teeth, dodging various rocks. Sliding in front of the throne, the board disintegrated into the ground. Arachne directed me to a spot, uncovering the frost with her hand; for a deep blue rune manifested.

“Place the claws in the slits,” she stepped back, “Sorry… for what is about to happen,”

The claws penetrated the ground as a force pulled me down, spinning in circular motions. The weapon fell off my hands, tossing me into the frigid air. A bubble enclosed these claws, lowering them into an abyss. While the weapon disappeared, Arachne caught me mid-air, and we plummeted into a snowbank. 

“Now... what?” I dusted snow off, “Why the theatrics?”

“It needed confirmation of your identity,” she helped me up, “We need to get out of here,”

“Is she contained? Do I have to worry?”

“No... she can reach out in other ways, but her physical form is stuck for now,”

“Then what was the point of…”

I awoke on the ground, gazing up at Augustine and Elder Selviam. Augustine extended his hand, helping me up from this awkward position. Why the sudden change in mood? When you left, your goddess’s side came out. What did she do? She cleaned up my mess; They do not remember. ‌I directed my attention away from Arachne, who pleaded for forgiveness. Keenly interested in Augustine’s red encrusted ring, that power hidden inside this small trinket? Enough to knock me out. 

“Nice fight,” he focused on Augustine, “We should keep her on basic’s for now.”

“You want me to teach her?” he curled his lip, “She is ...”

“You were so receptive to her earlier.”

“Yes, my lord,”

I‌ followed Augustine down a narrow hall to a closed metal door.  We pushed through; he led us to the inner depths of the estate. So that tears flowed down my cheeks for stability made me awe in the scenery. The large wooden paneled walls complimented these white marblesque floors. I felt down the engraved rose vines, this design on the edges beautiful. My stomach pained and grumbled loudly, grabbing the attention of Augustine.

“Hungry?” he questioned, “The kitchen is this way follow me,”

“What about training?” I shrugged, “and first off these clothes are filthy,”

“That will be another day, I have spare clothes in my room, wait here.”

I patiently waited as he sauntered down the hall and turned left. As quick as he left, he came back with folded clothes in hand. He pointed to an opened door, sliding the garments into these arms. I walked into a bathroom and shutting the door behind me. A basic Victorian design with an odd sense mixed with a modern taste. A rounded mirror above a white porcelain sink. That I washed this face off with eyes closed, avoiding any reflection.

Quickly throwing these raggedy clothes onto the floor. I unfolded the basic gray t-shirt with long beige pants. Sliding into the slightly large attire only to fold the cuffs of the khakis upwards. I stared at these naked feet, wiggling my toes on the icy marble floor. Like these white scrubs disappeared from the floor, shaking this head. I left the bathroom where Augustine waited outside.

“Not bad,” he smirked, “Though I am still taller than you,”

“Ok, I get it. But can I have some food,” I begged, “I haven’t eaten in a while,”

“Follow me.”

We walked down the hallway where Augustine pushed open a handless door. A well-sized kitchen with an island counter contained comfortable looking stools. As I plopped down, observing Augustines every move. He collected various ingredients, Eggs from the fridge, a loaf of bread from a wooden cupboard.  He overlooked his items, pulling out a pitcher of water from the refrigerator.

“Here is some rose infused water while I cook,” he placed down a glass, “I am making scrambled eggs and toast,”

“Why are you being nice?” I titled my head, “I thought you didn’t like me?”

“I have to tolerate you, that’s all.”

An awkward silence between us, what happened? I poured myself a glass of water, inhaling the infusion of an aromatic rose scent. Whereas a big gulp of this thirst-quenching substance so invigorating, but my world spun. Goddess!  I‌ coughed violently into my hand as blood spewed out.

“What the hell?” he gave me a handkerchief, “Here wipe it off,”

“I don’t feel so good...” I coughed, “What is...” falling to the ground.

A force lifted me up, carrying me to a red velvet couch. My body convulsed as Arachne panicked in my mind. She spoke, her words jumbled up like a puzzle, that tone disconcerting. Elder Selviam stood above me waving an awful scent. When I‌ rose, pushing away the cloth that smelled of ammonia. An event transpired caused a panic for that Augustine ran into another room.

“That was close...” he wiped sweat off my forehead, “Aurielle speak,”

“What just happened?” My voice shook, “That was odd,”

“You had a reaction to the rose water.”

“What?”

“This proves my theory,”

“What theory?”

“Of what you are. That petty memory trick was cute. The reaction to the rose water. You are a goddess.”

Arachne, what am I supposed to do?

Keep on guard, we need to figure out what he is. 

I uttered an archaic language; peering into Elder Selviam’s eyes, he froze under my control. Elder Selviam fought as I clutched his collar, only to stare blankly. My white energy seeped into him, pulling out a silver mana. He turned his head away swiftly, grabbing for his dagger in his inner pocket. 

“Turn you head this way,” I commanded, “Now, bow down to the great Goddess,” 

“Yes, my…” he hesitated. “Goddess,”

 

 

 

 

1