Chapter 2: cracking the mystery
570 4 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I actually never intended this to go the way this chapter went, i wrote this at 2 AM and the stupid idea just motivate me to write the extended part. 

 

March 24 2025 9:45 -Dead man’s reef

Engineers and Scientists are on the speedboats provided by the US Navy. They were immediately mobilized as soon as the news broke that the FTL engine had been found. They were from Area 51 and was flown on a non-stop trip to Hawaii were they were received by the US Navy, now they were standing on the boat a few distance away from the massive structure that happened to defy their knowledge. Two kilometres away from them is the carrier strike group who were the first responder and was guarding the operation. The lead engineer named Perry Oakney and lead scientist named Dr. Hector Webs was talking on the boat they were riding.

“Man this is waaay massive than what we got in 51, it’s so different compared to the pictures on the articles. Standing face to face with that made me feel so small.” The engineer said.

“Yeah Perry, This was truly massive, what we got are a quarter the size of this behemoth and this actually was a nuclear reactor in itself, built inside, it runs around the structure and the reason why it’s contained in heavily reinforced facility, well that’s what I heard from the boys at the lunar site” Hector said, He was one of the lead scientists that was managing the FTL on earth who had a few information regarding the lunar FTL since it was more special and sophisticated compared to the FTL engine on earth.

“Ours runs on external power and the risk of failure is minimized because of its smaller size and less sophisticated mechanism and structure and use less dangerous power source”

“By the way, I heard the big guys were planning to tow this thing to land ASAP, how will they do that? this thing weigh about two hundred tons on this shallow waters? The surrounding area is too shallow for a destroyer to come while the FTL was on the particular deeper water”

After Hector uttered his words, they heard the sound of helicopter blades in the distance; he squint his eyes and saw four large helicopters in formation closing in on the distance. Perry looked back at the FTL engine and saw movements on the water, 20 men emerged out of the water with complete diving gears and equipment’s in tow.

“Oh I know what they’re planning to do, I guess they quickly planned this out already” Perry said.

The choppers that arrived were super stallions with large inflatables in tow. Two of the choppers aligned themselves to the edge that were   sticking out of the water and then a person on each chopper came out being hoisted down and secured the inflatables in place after a few minutes they were already done.

Suddenly the FTL engine was tilting towards the water and bubbles were rising up towards the surface. It turns out they installed a self-inflating device under it. The super stallions were carefully guiding the tilting of the FTL and was laying it gently on the water Ten minutes goes by and the FTL engine was floating on the surface..

“Oh they’re gonna fly! carry it away now!” Perry said. In his excitement he knocked of his coffee on the boat’s floor.

To Perry’s surprise four military transport  hovercrafts were arriving on to the area and were positioning themselves to receive the heavy load. Perry was a bit disappointed since he thought they’re gonna be seeing an airlift. The hovercrafts were modified and were clearly rushed since the appearance was rough and rudimentary. It had an installed flat platform that was modified to snuggly fit in the FTL engine.

    They silently watched as the super stallions lifted it and hoisted it down to lie on the hovercraft, after they successfully done the deed, they slowly pulled away heading to the carrier. The super stallion where still connected as a means of insurance in case things goes awry meanwhile, the boat the men was boarding started off its engine and headed to the carrier to be taking in. Once things were sorted out and the FTL is on dry land, the experts can begin the inspection right away.

March 25 2025 13:07-Honolulu Hawaii

 

The FTL engine was already placed down on the ground inside a makeshift facility that was covered in a large tarp that encircled over the area. Heavily guarded by military personnel that no one can enter without going through a thorough evaluations and series of paperwork, sniper teams are hidden on every vantage point that no one can slip past through without getting noticed. The civilians were kept away from the site and was wondering what the military was guarding. Meanwhile inside the tarp covered facility was the scientists and engineers who are busy trying to pry open the blast proof shield that housed the internal computer which held the precise record of the activity data that can provide useful information about the cause of the incident.

“I wonder what this baby was stashing inside her black box?” Perry said with a gleam in his eyes.

“Yeah no matter what it was, it is deemed as priceless information” Hector replied.

A few minutes later and they have removed the black box from the device; they stored it inside a cube vault and transported it to military base with a much more appropriate facility with double the security. A large convoy of armored vehicles was mobilized and air assets were in the air patrolling, from F-22 Raptors and F-35 to predator drones, it was an overkill. Hector and Perry was riding inside one of their APC along with their colleagues. An hour and a half later, their transport mission was pulled off without a hitch. Meanwhile, at the site where the FTL engine was at, military personnel and engineers worked together to carefully dismantle the FTL engine so that it can be transported easily.

 March 25 2025 17:22 – X?X?X?X?X?X

At the military base, they were guided to a secret bunker they were greeted by large amount military hardware that was being developed and stored. They walked towards a lab while pushing the black box that was on a pushcart, along the way, they were met by General Morris Brook who oversee the entire base, he was already in his  late 50’s with a tall stature and buff body he clearly maintain his physical body and people often misjudged his real age, which flatter him for a bit and motivated him to stay fit.

“Greetings ladies and gentlemen, I’m General Morris Brook, I am the one who was in command in this facility.”

“Hello General Morris, I am Dr Hector Webs along with Our lead engineer here named Perry Oakney, along with the rest of our team, pleasure to meet you sir.” Hector said while extending his hands to shook General Morris.

After everyone introduced themselves, they shook hands with General Morris and exchange smiles and greetings.

“ Now that the meet and greet is done, shall we proceed to our current matters?” General Morris said. “First thing First let’s hook that computer to the lab and lock it up since we won’t be checking in on that for today, rather you will be given rooms to rest up for the day” General Morris added with a smile.

Everyone was puzzled by the words the General said since they were tasked to diagnose it as soon as possible but before they can speak up General Morris said.

“I know you’re wondering why, well I’ll tell you this, we’ve received words from the higher ups that the President Himself will be coming to us here tomorrow to personally witness the diagnosis.”

Everyone exchanged glances and just shrugged their shoulders and as if they can refuse a good night sleep especially how rough their abrupt travel a day prior.

“Oh and if you need anything else, you can just pull any personnel on duty and I’ll see to it that it would be dealt with, it’s on the house” General Morris added.

March 27 2025 08:00 – X?X?X?X?X?X

The arrival of the President had caused the base at maximum security in the base. Meanwhile the team where busy in their preparation with the black box when someone walked in, he was dressed in military uniform, he casually walked to the nearest chair and sat in front of a woman in lab coat trying to hook up a wire on to a system but had a hard time doing so since she was more focused on her laptop screen. The man offered his help and the woman said “Here hook it up into that port please” she didn’t look at the man and just handed out the cable in her hand. After he was done he just sat there while his hands was cupped on his cheeks while smiling.

“You know you’re cute with those glasses you got there” he said.

“Uhuh, shoo I’m busy here, I need to be done before the President comes in here, go elsewhere and bother someone else with your flirting” the woman replied, still haven’t given a single glance.

“You guys got an amazing focus huh.” The man said.

 At first no one bat an eye since they thought it was just another personnel checking in on them but then one of the scientists saw the man’s face in the corner of his vision, he froze.

“Uh guys….”                                       

Everyone ignored him since they were too focused on their task when he spoke up again, this time it had a bit more volume.

“UH GUYS!”

“WHAT?!” everyone said then looked at him, they saw him pointing at the personnel near the door. They glanced at him then they all froze in place.

“Oh shii..” everyone stood and was stiff, they never expected the stunt that was pulled on them.

“PFFF HAHAHA relax you should have seen the look on your faces HAHAHA” The man said, still laughing his hats off. Everyone laughed nervously but the man’s laugh was too contagious that they burst out in a genuine laugh. But there was someone who was more nervous than everybody else.

“I definitely got you guys good HAHAHA” The man said.

“BTW did Margaret just shooed away the President?” the scientist who was nearby Margaret and the first to notice his active presence.

Everyone giggled and looked at her, she was so embarrassed that her face was bright red and hid her face with her hands and hurriedly walked out to the door but before she even reached it she stumbled and was caught by President Wade, a few seconds of silence and they had looked at each other’s faces, Wade had his smile plastered on his face while Margaret was still bright red and teary eyed due to embarrassment. She let go off his grip and ran away to the comfort room. As soon as she came out, she met General Moriss along with men in suits, she didn’t had time to greet him and just ran away, Morris was puzzled and went in the lab to see what was going on.

As soon as he went inside he saw President Wade standing who looked like he was contemplating to something. Morris quickly understood what happened.

“Wade you little prankster!” General Morris said trying to rub his brow.

“What did you do this time?”

“Nothing uncle, I just walked in and talked a bit….” Wade replied meekly

“There was this cute girl….and…”

The air around the room got awkward real fast, in General Morris’s desperation to save the remaining vibe, he quickly announced breakfast in the cafeteria since the team insisted they have to make preparations before having a meal.

A colleague of Margaret named Lisa, went to  check on Margaret. Lisa found Margaret washing her face and wiping her glasses inside the comfort room, her face was still red, she offered her handkerchief to her which she gladly accept to wipe her face with it after few minutes she had been calmed by Lisa and was accompanied to the group. While on their way to the cafeteria followed by secret service agents and the teams of the engineer and scientists, President Wade and General Morris talked for a bit.

“Wade you should apologize to that lady, she was tomato red when she came out!”

“I know uncle, it’s just  that it escalated quickly and all I did was sit and offer some help.”

“And how the hell did you manage to get away from your security details? Huh explain!”

“It’s a trade secret” Wade cracked a smile.

General Morris narrowed his eyes at Wade.

“Fine, fine, all I did was to have some trusted buddies to pull it off”

“Oh I can’t wait to tell your mother you made a girl cry” General Morris laughed.

“what? NO! I’D GET AN EARFUL AND I WILL NEVER HEAR THE END OF IT!”

“Also she always nags at me for never dating someone yet, and also she keeps on mentioning that she wants a grandkid before she leave, she always pull the “you’re already 36 why don’t you marry someone card on me. ”

The team’s ears perked as soon as they heard the men’s conversation, they looked at Margaret who was trying to busy herself playing games in her smartphone pretending to not hear everything they say.

They looked at each other and pulled everyone who’s on board with the juicy topic and in hushed voices they talked about things about the two people who was their main headline.

“You know, they kinda fit in to each other right?”

“I mean He and Margaret are both inexperienced, Margaret never had someone in her life before as far as I know and from the recent talks we heard, he also never had someone plus they are both a bit late and at the same age”

“hush your voices dammit, hehe”

Everyone in the group was continuing their hushed gossips with occasional giggles on  the side-line, then suddenly someone said loudly “Margaret, you never had a boyfriend before right? such a shy girl” he was met with a palm to his mouth, it was Margaret who was now so red it’s as if she got a bad case of fever, her eyes were like daggers, the man who said it gulped and sweated beads on his forehead.

Wade was also embarrassed now that he clearly heard their little gossip. General Morris looked at him and smirked. He shut his eyes and silently walked, he looked back and met Margaret’s gaze. They quickly averted each other’s gaze and everyone took notice of it. At that time, everyone’s mind was in sync, In their mind, their thoughts was “We’ll definitely hook this two up.”

 

 

 

 

13