Chapter 4: Dead Horror and Blooming Love
422 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

March 29, 2025-11:30 - Washington DC

President Wade was in his office, sitting on his chair while reading the email that was recently sent by agent Morgan to him. The content of the email was about the primary result of the autopsy, he took his time reading the content and after that, he just covered his mouth in disbelief. The content was that the pale creature appears to be human in terms of physical form. The tissue sample appeared to be of human origin. The number of teeth was of an average human but the only difference was due to its heavily decayed state, the genital’s appearance and internal organs appear to be of humans. The skin was severely sunburnt by the time the navy found it with early signs of decomposition. The cause of death of the creature was sudden asphyxia which means it lost its consciousness but the true finisher was the extreme pressure that might have been a result when they were caught with the FTL engine’s return.

“Jesus Christ……oh God this is too creepy for me.”

Just as he was about to close his laptop, he received a new email about an urgent meeting being called among the secretaries and science figures that was aware of the situation in two hours. Wade sighed under his breath and continued to close his laptop after he was done; he got up and searched his drawer for his wallet. After a few digging around his drawers and he found what he was looking for, he got up and went outside his office in which he was met with his security detail. He always tries to sneak and head somewhere where there’s no crowd to take his lunch but he can never escape from the grasp of his security detail unless he was in a secured location and ask for his buddies for favor just as what he did back in Hawaii.

March, 29, 2025-19:34-Washington DC

The Meeting had been concluded and everyone was exhausted by the long hours of the meeting’s duration. The content of the meeting was that a proposal about an island installation, they will rebuild the FTL engine on a remote island in the pacific. In there, they will study it in hopes that they can cross the portal into another world and establish the first contact. They will research and plan their primary approach towards the flora and fauna of the said world. Military mobilization will be conducted and if they discover civilization, proper protocols would be implemented, if they were friendly enough, diplomacy will be in play and if not, things could get ugly for the US or to the enemy.

Wade was excited, as a man who liked both fantasy and science fiction stories; it was almost too good to be true for him. He had given his full support towards their ambitious goal; he personally set aside the nation's interest as a second priority as he told his close friends. The FTL project would still be rolling but was slowed down to make way for the FTL dimension gate’s hastened development.

 Same day-20:10-Washington DC

Wade was having his dinner at a fancy restaurant alone in his seat while he was surrounded by couples of different ages. His security detail was on the premise, guarding him and ensuring they can get him out the moment things hit the fan, the people around him often glance from time to time talking in a hushed manner. He felt he was out of place inside the restaurant, and then the loneliness set inside him. He brushed the feelings off and hurriedly ate his dinner and quickly left the place after personally paying and giving tips to the waiters and staff. He didn’t even wait for his dessert and just took off, the staffs were puzzled but they understand that he’s a busy man since he’s the POTUS, but they were thankful to him because he paid for his full order even though some were still untouched and also gave them a generous tip. Wade was escorted by the secret service to his designated SUV and drove off to the White House. He went back to his office and worked on his paperwork but then fell asleep on his chair by midnight.

March 30, 2025-05:45-Washington DC

Wade woke up from his sleep in which his dreams were interrupted but was soon forgotten as he fully woke up. He found himself covered with a blanket which he always had in one of his drawers, although he did not remember putting it on because he was half asleep, he was sure he did it because he always fell asleep inside his office from time to time.

He got out of his office and met his guards who were standing by the door, upon seeing him, they weren’t surprised because they were used to it. Wade went to take a bath and a quick run on the treadmill. After that he had his breakfast consists of egg, bacon, a glass of milk, and six slices of bread. After he finished his meal, he phoned agent Morgan and asked that he wished to see the dead creature’s body in person. Two hours had passed and the transport for the US president had been arranged. Wade phoned General Morris that he would be coming over.

“Uh…hello uncle, I know this was urgent and I know you’ve been informed but I just want to personally make a call to say that I’m coming over later today,” Wade said while trying to play around with his pen.

“I see kid, I heard you wanna see that hideous excuse of a human, but what I had in mind was different, I can feel that you’re just making excuses to see your little flutter bird,” Morris said, smirking on the phone.

“Arggg…fine, you win, it’s hard to hide something from someone as observant as you but I do want to take a closer look at the creature,” Wade said while pouting.

“Me, observant? No Wade, you’re just waaaay too obvious…a little bird even told me you went out of the restaurant in a hurry after you realized you were surrounded by couples, hehe” Morris said, he was now grinning from ear to ear and had a hard time holding his laughter.

“Oh c’mon uncle, seriously? drats! I bet it was Felix!, he was always in onto that matter ever since Hawaii, he’s always teasing me about it whenever he got the chance. Fine, It doesn’t matter much, bye uncle, see you in eleven hours.” Wade just sighed and sat on his seat while his plane was preparing to take off. He switched off his phone and covered his eyes with his extra shirt and dozed off to his dreamland.

March, 30, 2025-19:34-Honolulu Hawaii

The President’s plane landed at an airport and was immediately sent to a helipad where his chopper was waiting. He boarded it and was flown again, 20 minutes passed and they were back again into the Military base in which he was met by General Morris. They walked inside the base and into a large blast-proof elevator going down into the underground facility. They walked into many hallways and passed by many military personnel. Everyone gave a salute whenever he passed by, after a lengthy walk, they reached the lab in which the creatures were having their autopsy. The president asked to see it for himself and was met by agent Morgan who greeted him at the entrance and asked Wade to wear a bio-suit and so was everyone who wishes to accompany him, Morgan himself was wearing protection so was the doctors inside.

When everyone was wearing protection, they were led to a decontamination chamber in which they would be sprayed with antiseptic chemicals. After they had undergone the process they were next led to the morgue in which they saw the deformed and burnt bodies of the creatures.

“This is not what I expect, this is way worse than the photographs,” Wade said in disbelief.

“Uh, Mr. President, actually we just found this out a while ago, you wouldn’t mind if you hear this right?” A doctor said in a bit of a nervous tone.

“Well, go on, any information is acceptable.”

“Okay, here it goes, uhm we found their last meal as disturbing…should I continue?” he said.

“go on, did they eat worms? uncooked meat? Animal guts? Oh boy, don't tell me....” Wade gulped as his idea dawned on him.

“Humans sir…” he replied weakly

“Excuse me, repeat it please.”

“They ate Human flesh sir… their last meal was of human flesh…raw, they ate it raw…”

“The what???” Wade and everyone else who heard it, was disgusted but somehow at the back of their mind, it was a bit not surprising for them. “They are cannibals? Oh damn so far so bad, there’s no peaceful negotiation if this is the case. When the time where we’ll enter the other side we have to make a decision.

Most of Wade’s companions felt unwell and requested to rest. Wade ordered agent Morgan to inform the other secretaries and high ranked Military Officers about the latest gathered information that had not been tackled in yesterday’s meeting. Wade took the opportunity to wander around the base of course with his buddies' permission, they were smugly looking at him with their weird smile as if teasing him. He went around and was looking for a lone soldier, he walked towards the restroom where he found a young soldier who was relieving himself on the urinal. The soldier tried to make a salute but awkwardly fumbles around because he was not finished peeing, Wade just laughed it off and pleaded the soldier to lend his spare uniform, the young soldier was shocked and raised an eyebrow but he remembered the rumors about the president’s own adventure a few days ago so he didn’t hesitate to agree, and of course he couldn’t decline anyway since the top commander himself asked him a favor. He told Wade to wait while he ran to his barracks and grabbed some uniforms from his mates that would fit the President’s build. Of course, his fellow soldiers asked why he needed the uniforms, in which he told them about the affair. Minutes passed and a parade of ten soldiers were heading to the restrooms where the President was in, they entered the restroom and Wade raised an eyebrow due to the crowd but didn’t raise a fuss because he thought of the idea that they would serve as his camouflage when roaming around the area. He immediately grabbed the uniforms and went inside a stall to get dressed. He removed his fancy suit revealing the state of the art body armor that he always wear day in, day out. In under two minutes, he was already dressed in an urban camo uniform along with a cap, he instructed everyone to walk with him and pretend they were just normally walking around and formalities would be set aside. While walking, they exchanged stories about their fair share of war, they exchanged jokes and laughed with each other. The soldiers realized Wade was a very casual man and they immediately put their trust in him. Along the way, Wade told them that he wanted to go to another section where the lab that the black box was taken. All of them cheered because they know what’s his reason was, they briskly walked and in no time reached the lab he wanted to go.

He slowly opened the door and peeked inside but alas the door betrayed him and creaked as he opened it, everyone inside darted their gaze on the door in which they saw him.

“Uh hey, yo guys, is Margaret here?” Wade nervously asked.

“Omg omg, he’s here! Margaret’s friend said,  “gotta tell Margaret! Where is that woman anyway?” she shouted

“I believe she went to grab her coffee in the cafeteria,” Perry said, trying to act calmly.

Wade and his unexpected security details walked inside awkwardly. Wade grabbed the extra chairs and had given it to some of the men he was with. Unfortunately, there were few chairs available so three had to stand up, Wade suggested to sit on their buddies lap if they wanted to. They agreed to him and did so. 

“Bruh, no homo,” the three said before sitting on their buddy's legs.

“No homo” the other three replied.

Wade found it hilarious and laughed, a few minutes passed and Margaret came inside, smiling as she smells her coffee. As soon as she closed the door and walked to her work station, she saw Wade near her desk and she was shocked and dropped her coffee on the floor, luckily the cup was made of styrofoam and not ceramic so it oy made a mess.

"Oh no,  i was looking forward to that coffee," she said sadly. 

 She was about to make a run for it but was immediately stopped by Wade. A soldier awkwardly got up and grabbed a wet mop in the lab’s comfort room. Wade was nervous as he faced Margaret, it’s the same for Margaret who didn’t expect his sudden visit. Then the moment everyone was waiting for happened.”

“I know you’re a very busy woman but, I uh, can I ask you to squeeze me into your tight uhm schedule? Any day is fine for me, I can at least ask them to free up a few of my schedules.” Wade asked nervously as he rubs the back of his head with his right hand.

Margaret fumbled on her words and was fidgeting awkwardly, her face was bright red but she managed to say something.

“uh eh you really don’t mind? If you want, we can have dinner tomorrow, but sadly I can’t leave this place yet.”

“Wow, okay got iy, hehe, I ah, thank you, thank you really, I’ll have everything covered” Wade replied awkwardly.

After hearing those exchange of words, everyone shouted in cheers, as if they just hit the lottery’s jackpot they were hugging and cheering, Margaret’s female colleagues had tears in their eyes as they saw their friend finally getting asked out, by no other than the President himself. Their Male colleagues clapped their hands and shook Wade’s hands. That night, it was all the talk of the base. And the next day, the media, who apparently smelled it in the waters. 

10