Chapter 6: The new guy
436 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Shout out to everyone in Ron The Black Cat's discord server. Also, I had been hella busy these days so sorry for the late upload.

October 28, 2025-13:03- Nebraska, USA

 

 A man was sitting on a fallen tree that had arced over just a few feet above the clear water. On his hand was his fishing rod in which he acquired from a shady drunkard a week ago, who told him that the fishing rod was magical and can reel in many interesting things, and yet here he was sitting on a fallen tree for hours and yet not even a single nibble on his line happened even though the rainbow trout are everywhere, he glanced at the two men who were fishing on the bank of the lake who had caught five of those plump fishes, they noticed him looking at them and they waved at him, he waved back and smiled. He cursed at his own luck and for believing the drunk old man’s story, the shady old man talked into him how exchanging his box of Cuban cigar for the old rod was a good idea, he shouldn’t be talking about trading stuff when drunk but only he was to be blamed for he had been too drunk to make a good decision, feeling pissed at it, he just reeled his line to put the rod away, without any catch, he decided to go back to the log cabin he had rented. He took the last can of beer from his six-pack that was sitting beside him and drank the whole content in a matter of seconds. He wiped his mouth with the sleeves of his shirt and proceeds to pack up his stuff in his bag, he took his trash and put it inside one of his backpack’s compartment and double-checked if he had secured everything. He looked around the area before he slung his bag and walked away. He went towards the treeline where the grassy trail would lead him to a nearby inn where he parked his car. Upon walking for almost an hour he was near the inn but then five men wearing suits came out from the back of the trees.

“Aren’t you cold with those fancy suits you guys are wearing?” The man said with his deep voice.

“Nah it’s hot in these damned suits, long time no see Lieutenant Hans Riley.”                          

“Ex Lieutenant, anyway long time no see Bill, Alex, Ed, it’s good to see you guys. Also are these two guys a recent batch?” Riley said. The three men nodded in response to Riley’s questions, the two new agents didn’t seem to notice the sinister smile the four men had been wearing on their faces.

“Riley, this is Agent Ben and the curly-haired guy is Agent Dover, Agent Ben&Dover, meet Riley,” Ed said. The Two agents shook Riley’s hands and greeted each other.

“Dang, no offense okay but you guys got a, you know, weird names,” Riley said.

“We don’t know, go ask the author, he thinks he’s funny but he’s not.” Agent Ben grumbled.

“Well anyway, I presume the others were with Wade. I figured he sent you to kill me huh, what a pleasant day to die, right?” Riley said with a wry smile on his face. The three responded with a nod as they pulled out their service pistols under their suits, each chambered a round and pointed it at Riley.

The two Agents had a puzzled look on their faces, they exchanged glances because they were not informed of an assassination, but they pulled out their pistols regardless. Tension seemed to build up among the men as Riley pulled out a grenade from somewhere. They looked at each other in the eye with cold stares that could send chills down their spines. Riley and the other three agents laughed and smacked each other on the shoulder. The two were even more confused than before but did not do anything.

“Damn we got you guys so damn good.” Alex laughed. The four men were laughing at their twisted prank and the two agents laughed nervously. “Whenever the President wished to find this man here, we always try to pull this prank on anyone who’s unaware, anyway it was the president’s idea and for the record, we pulled this off thrice already and never tell anyone about this, got it?.” Alex said. The two men nodded in agreement.

“But we could have killed him! And besides, what if one of us were a trigger finger!” One of them said.

“Nah, you can’t,” Ed said as he pulled out a cigarette from his pocket.

“What do you mean we can’t?”

“Well, in case you didn’t notice, Alex here, switched your firearms with airsoft pistols on the way up here. He’s got those fancy sleighs of hands that are one of those magician tricks. Hell, he could’ve been working on those Vegas gigs if he wasn’t working for the big man. Ed said as he pulled out a cigarette which he shared with each other. “And btw, your real pistols were on the other holster in your suits. The two were so surprised but it was cool and reckless at the same time.

They talked about random things and the latest news as they walked down the hill towards the inn. Along the way, they talked about things to catch up with each other. The wind was cold and the path had revealed it's old beaten down the trail. A few minutes passed and they arrived at the inn, Riley asked the men if they want a drink in which they refused his offer, in fact, they told Riley not to drink since they were tight on the schedule.

“What about my car?” Riley asked. “We’ll take care of that,” Ed replied.

Riley asked them the reason why the Bossman wants to see him but they refused to answer and told him it was confidential and not to be talked about in any other places. He just obliged and goes with the flow.

October 28, 2025- 21:30- New 51 Base

Riley had landed an hour ago but was immediately subjected to a couple of medical test and other papers and verifications bla bla bla, which exhausted him even further. He was then escorted by his old friends towards the President’s office. Along the way, he saw from the window, the large constructed arc on a smooth runway. Riley did not ask anything and just shut his mouth regarding questions because he knew it would only fall on deaf ears. They walked on the long tiled floor and passed many rooms that looked like a laboratory since there are people who were in lab coats coming in and out from the said rooms. He stared at the floor for some time now it was so shiny that he can see his own reflection on the floor. He stared at his face, the large scar on his right eye was clearly detailed. He gently touched it and sighed. His scar had already spooked many people in the past and whenever he looked at a mirror which reminds him every day of what he had done and what drove him to do it. A couple of minutes passed and they had arrived at a large metal door similar to the doors that sci-fi had, After granted permission by the security features, the door opened and reveal the modest interior decorations the room had, in the center was Wade, sitting on his leather chair with piles of paper on his table. Hans was invited to come in. As soon as he entered the room he noticed a large metal bowl on the floor filled with assorted vegetables and fruits, Riley finds it strange but dismissed it and greeted Wade. Wade then told Riley to sit on the couch beside his table and offered Riley a drink in which he accepted.

“So, I was informed that you wanted to see me, and what for?” Riley asked Wade.

“Well for starters, I will cut to the chase. I want to send you Riley, to another world.” Wade firmly said as he pours whiskey into Riley’s glass. Riley was stunned and had a hard time digesting the new information that he heard coming from Wade’s mouth. He slowly gulped down his drink and was shaking his head.

“Is this for real? Are you kidding me? Well, you wouldn’t be here in your secret base with all these kinds of stuff around if it wasn’t true.” Riley said. “Also, you guys aren’t creative in naming this base, and what info do you have so far you can show me primary proof, documents, anything for starters.” He added. Riley was more accepting and had been excited to hear the details. At that time the large door opened and a large creature walked in. Riley turned his head and saw a giant beetle staring at him with big black beady eyes. The beetle wobbled around its big shiny body and talked to him.   

“Hewwo, I’m Mem nice to meet you, are you new here, because I’m new too,” Mem said as she waved her antennae back and forth.

Riley was deathly scared and screamed like a lady. He was scared enough that he fainted and foamed in the mouth, medics were immediately called and he was given immediate first aid. Mem watched as the man collapsed from his seat and was being treated by the medics.

“Mr. Wade, did I kill the big man, I shouldn’t have come here, some people are scared of me when I walk around this place,” Mem said, her voice was shaking because she was scared, she thought Riley died because of her.

“No Mem, don’t say that, it’s okay, he is fine. You didn’t kill him and it seems that you’ve done helluva job scaring the living soul out of the hardest man I know. Mind if I tell you a story?” Wade said as he gently stroked Mem’s head.

“Yes please Mr. Wade, I will listen,” Mem said happily as if she had forgotten the man that fainted beside them.

“Well, there was once a man, he was brave and strong, but he doesn’t want to be called by those titles. Once, he along with another man had broken off with his unit to scout a target’s location, they were looking for a very terrible person. They walked on barren land with no trees or grass in sight. They walked and walk on many rocky hills for hours. They had found what they were looking for. The two men cautiously climbed a hill, the hill was unguarded, or so they thought. Even with their carefulness, they did not know the enemies had dug under large rocks to hide. They were knocked out cold and the next thing they knew, they were tied up. The terrible person had caught them, they have beaten the two men to a pulp. They might have broken the body, but not the spirit. They asked questions that they want to be answered but the two men held their mouths shut. Only words of insult in response came out of their mouth. Then the terrible person had shot the other man behind his head, BANG! Wade made a dramatic pause, Mem was holding her breath in suspense as she anticipated him to continue. “What happened next Mr. Wade?”

“Well what happened next was that the man who was kept alive had been beaten more, his bones were broken, lips are swollen, and that he had bled severely inside his body, yet in the face of death, he smiled ominously as if he’d gone insane but then miracles do happen. The rest of the two men’s friends had come and they had brought help to rescue them.” Wade smiled bitterly.

“What about the man who was killed? And what happened to the terrible person?” Mem asked curiously.

“Well, as I had said, miracles do happen, and don’t worry with that terrible person and his men, they were probably enjoying Satan’s special resort just for them along with a lifetime membership and an exclusive one time offer of an infinite way to torture a soul,” Wade said. He winked and smiled at Mem as he pats her even more which Mem gladly enjoyed. “And yet you terrified him like none other,” Wade whispered under his breath.

Riley had regained consciousness and had tried to stand up only to meet face to face again with his fear, but this time he just froze in his place, his eyes clearly showed how bad he wanted to get away from the giant beetle.

“I’m sorry mister, I know I’m scary for most of you, I shouldn’t have come here but don’t worry in three earth weeks, you won’t be scared of me anymore.” Mem sadly said as she slowly turned her back and went lay down on a fluffy mattress behind the bookshelves. Riley just nodded but he did not understand what she meant. Riley had a hard time staying cool from his fear just about an arm’s reach a  moment ago.

“Riley, what had gotten into you, you turned into a sissy just like that?” Wade questioned Riley with a smug look on his face. Riley had been quiet for some time and stared at him. He grabbed the bottle of whiskey from Wade’s desk and chugged it like it’s some sort of sports drink. He looked at Wade’s eyes and said. “I never told anyone about this, but I have a Skathariphobia. I have fear of beetles man.” Wade looked at Riley, he discovered a new side of his friend that he never knew before. He wanted to ask him about it but he chose not to but before he can say anything Riley said. “You must be laughing inside your mind by now huh, well when I was a kid I was terrorized by other kids using those insects, it later on rolled downhill as time passed and before I knew it, bam I’m scared as hell with those even if it’s in pictures. Also, forget about this please, do not tell Alex or the others, under any circumstances what happened to me, understood? Those guys will tease the hell out of me.” Wade nodded his head and told Riley that it would be taken care of but joked about it that it had been caught on camera, full HD with audio.

              “Riley, I am not judging you, everyone had their own fear. Well, even I had the fear of clowns. And also, I’m sorry that about Kei, I did what I could in my power to help find her but then no result had come out of it.” Wade said.

“It’s okay, I gave up the search but I didn’t lose the hope inside me that maybe one day my questions would get its answers,” Riley replied. His tone was clearly full of pain as memories had flashed in his mind.

“Anyway, let’s brush off some stuffs and let’s focus on current matters,” Riley said as he took another swig from the bottle, he was trying so hard to set things that troubled his mind aside and focused on the current matters.

“The beetle spoke in English, how and why?” Riley asked.

“Well, a few days ago when we opened the portal, we met her. She was curious of us and well a young marine had suggested feeding it in which she happily ate and well we found out she is intelligent after she ate, it was hilarious actually.”

“Oh wow, that’s interesting, go on, I’m listening. Riley replied.

“Also, she’s capable of telepathic communications, and before you can ask and yes I know what’s in your mind, well, no she can’t read minds, she isn’t Professor X. She can only feel it, only when you’re open to communication will your minds connect. She’s still a child also it’s interesting that she had a vocal cord of a human when we had her examined. She was a very fast learner, in a matter of days she was fluent enough to speak verbally of course with the help of her ability.” Wade said.

“And when will you send me? I’m already retired am I getting my rank back since you didn't mention me being a contractor for you and I’m not in the tip-top shape like I used to be.” Riley said.

“Well, I can answer all three. One, I want to send you tomorrow at about 07:00. Two, I’m the President, aren’t I? And anyway I know you would never pass this opportunity, hell you were more into this than me, all the fiction we read had finally come true and three, you will, at the cost of ten consecutive injections.” Wade casually replied to Riley’s question.

“Wait, are you making super-soldier serums now?” Riley curiously replied. “No, but something else” Wade firmly responds.

Wade explained to Riley that there was no secret serum but rather a billion nano-machines would be injected into his body. It can regenerate cells, heal damaged organs faster than ever, it can close blood vessels, and help blood clot on wounds especially on major blood vessels. It can also neutralize any deadly toxins, kill harmful bacteria and viruses, even parasites of any kind, and kill malignant cells. But it won’t grant immunity to fatal wounds especially to the head and heart, it's also useless against instant death scenarios, no man is immortal, everything and everyone would greet death in the end. The nano-machines don’t last long with only three-year lifespan before it expires given that it had been in suggested normal usage. As for continuous and boosted usage, it would cut two years of its life, leaving only a year left, exchanging its lifespan for near-instant regeneration was better in certain circumstances. Before the nanites die, it was preprogrammed to move towards the urinary system to be expelled out of the body through urination. Nanites can be replaced by another batch of nanites inside the body once all the dead ones are expelled out of the human systems.

Wade told him that he had been subjected to it for a few months already and he broke the news that the bullet inside his head had been successfully removed. Riley was happy that his friend wouldn’t have to suffer from constant headaches anymore. He congratulated him for his survival and bumped his fist. Wade had talked to Riley for some time but didn’t take long since he was immediately scheduled for the nanite injection. After an hour of calibration and other series of tests, Riley had felt so much better, the liquor’s effect had instantly vanished and he felt so alive, his breathing is better and his muscles had been stronger than ever. After Riley was done, Wade came into the room to talk to him about his opinion of the nanites, Riley grabbed Wade’s shoulder and said.

“Well, this was definitely great, I just hope you got any countermeasures for robot uprising, Nah, I’m just kidding. Wade laughed and told him that in fact, they do have anti nanites that had been already prepared, it was made to dissolve the nanites inside the body whenever the batch of nanites was defective. Riley had been told to head to the gym to test out his limits, supervised by doctors that would monitor everything. After he was done, he went to Wade’s office.

You want me out there right? Well then, where’s your armory?” Wade and Riley both had sinister looks in their eyes, they knew what they want to do although only one of them can field test the toys they had into another world.

10