Chapter 8: Hostile incoming, Hostile down
361 9 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Enjoy the new chapters guys. :)

October 29, 2025- 07:00- New 51 Base

Wade had been informed about Riley’s request to ask Mem for her help since they unexpectedly found a human settlement which was previously presumed as pale one’s possible camp, and they had a hard time communicating and doesn’t want to escalate the tension between them. They also reported spine-chilling screams and cackling coming from the dense jungle, they might be facing an unknown number of hostiles and was requesting immediate air support. After hearing the reports, he immediately acted. Wade went to his office where he found the still sleeping Mem on her fluffy bed being gently stroked by Margaret. “Honey, why are you here? So you weren’t scared of her?” Wade asked Margaret. He was surprised to find her in his office since he thought she was on their small house with a picket fence with a small patch of a flower garden by the beach on the western side of the island which he himself built, well of course with the help of the off-duty personnel and his secret service buddies. “I just want to see you right now, I’m just checking in on you since I barely saw you last night,” Margaret said. “Well darling, my friend needed Mem to communicate with the people there! They found humans, real normal humans as far as the report goes!” Wade excitedly told Margaret. “Wow, that is great! Even better than finding a cannibal infested island.” Margaret replied. Wade knelt down beside Mem and then gently awakens her from her slumber to ask her for a favor. Mem slowly opened her eyes and saw Wade and Margaret’s smiling faces.

“Good morning Mem, how was your sleep?” Wade asked. “It’s so great, it’s better than what I had at home,” Mem replied.

“That’s great. Mem, can I ask you a favor? Do you remember the big man with a large scar in his eye that fainted the other day?” Wade said.

“Yes I remember the big man, why did you ask Mr. Wade?” Mem replied.

“The thing is, they found people on the island, real people like us, and they can’t communicate due to the difference in language. With the help of your ability, we can at the very least tell them we mean no harm and was open for talks, so are you okay with it? I know it’s dangerous so don’t go near them if they were in a fight, I will have them notified if you were coming to them, we can strap you with a radio so that we can tell you when it was okay to go near the big man, okay?” Wade said with a smile.

Mem nodded her tiny head in response, Wade told Margaret to return home, but before she left, she kissed him passionately which Wade happily accepted. After they were done Wade then led Mem to the armory where she was quickly outfitted with Velcro straps attached on her head that will hold the radio in place.

She bade goodbye to Wade and everyone she knew before entering the gate, where she was told to follow the tracks that the heavy MRAPs had carved in the sand. While Mem was on her way, Riley and the rest of the recon group were at the MRAP, observing the outside. They were sweating but were calm, the gunner on the MRAP was swiveling the M-134 minigun as he scans the surrounding. The cackling was getting louder and louder followed by loud groaning. The Bravo team had launched their recon drone armed with a modified Glock that had a hundred round magazine and two guns that used a modified M4 CQBR each had a 40 round which the drone doesn’t have a problem carrying.  It hovered above the treeline as it scanned the surrounding. The drone operator switched to thermal and saw a giant heat signature about 250 yards, 2 O’clock from the leading MRAP where Riley was in. He then immediately flew the drone near it, upon switching to normal vision mode, it revealed the hideous form of the monster. It was a giant clump of rotten flesh and tumor-like growth, as big as an African Elephant that had fleshy tentacles with a large gaping mouth on its side that would embarrass a great white shark’s maw. It had countless rows of dark red and black teeth completely packed together that had severe tooth decay, it had no indication of eyes or ears. The monster had an unholy form that it could have caused another crusade to subjugate the damned beast that was straight out from hell. On its tentacles was a dismembered man, being eaten slowly as if the beast was enjoying fine dining in an upscale restaurant. It meticulously ate the arm and legs slowly and was savoring the taste then after it had consumed the limbs, it tore the man’s torso, exposing the internal organs using its two knife-like tentacles that were noticeably different. It then proceeds to carve out the intestines and dropped it in its mouth as it cackles as if mocking the person it was eating. Everyone saw the video feed since it was linked to all their helmets and they gritted their teeth at the unsightly monster. They had their fair share of battles and had seen enemies and friends died in different manners but this was the first time they saw a human being eaten by a monster piece by piece.

The video was also patched to the New 51 base and the people in the command center was in distraught especially the group of scientists that had different scientific fields of expertise that were asked to compile papers regarding their observation of the flora and fauna of the island who felt sick and asked for a break. The recon team could not stand it anymore and asked the command for the green light which was immediately given a swift response to eliminate it since it was clearly a threat. They were told to use their current weapons to test if it can be brought down by their current load-outs and if not, they will vacate the area and a squadron of Apache Helicopters would take over the attack.

“Alpha team, this is Bravo ringleader. Do you copy, over?” The leader of the Bravo team said.

“Copy that Bravo ringleader, this is Riley of Alpha team, what’s our gameplan, over?” Riley replied

“We’ll use the miniguns on the MRAPs to provide continuous fire while the rest of us will find a way to draw it out in the open for our javelins to get a lock-on and if in-effective we’ll call in the gunships to deal with it using Hellfires. Everyone, eyes peeled, use your infrared, and maximize your weapon’s capabilities to deal with long-range attacks. I don’t want to see that bastard eating its dessert!”

“Alright everyone, lock and load!”                                                                                             

They got out of the MRAPs carrying the javelins and immediately positioned themselves on the beach. The drivers of the MRAPs had already distanced themselves along with the operators that manned the miniguns on top of it and were told to run if the monster gives chase to give them a chance to aim at the monster, although they have to be careful not to lock on the running MRAP. They can still see the monster enthusiastically eating the man slowly and with surprisingly finesse in handling the torso’s flesh. It was so unsightly to watch. The drone operator then unloaded all of the ammunition in the drone with fury, pressing the console’s button so hard it jammed in place. A loud continuous gunshot echoed as the 9 mm and 5.56 rounds pierced the fleshy monster until it ran out of ammunition. It had let out a spine-chilling scream and was bleeding with mixed black blood and pus. The miniguns fired in the direction of the monster ripping, the flesh of its body. It screamed again and had gone wild and was smashing small trees and plants as it crawled towards the beach leaving a trail of stench and gore. It emerged from the thicket and was thrashing and flailing its tentacles to swipe off its unseen attackers but to no avail. One thing they noticed was that it was not coming at them, rather it was rolling around flailing its tentacles which had puzzled them since how did it caught the man before if it can’t see and it seems to be deaf too, there is no other indication of how it navigate around.

Riley was with two of his teammates who were the nearest from the monster inside a hastily built foxhole. He aimed carefully aimed his rifle and fired at the exposed wounds of the monster, he had already used up three 40 round magazine. He then used his under-barrel grenade launcher and fired at the base of its tentacles blowing off two into a pile of disgusting gore. He was done with his rifle and switched to his secondary. Loaded with Dragon’s breath 2.0, he pumped the monster with blazing lead setting the monster on a blazing glory as the densely oxygenated environment had aided with the volatile chemical that the Dragon’s breath 2.0, damaging its flesh severely. The looks on his teammate’s faces were priceless. They momentarily paused to stare at the mad man that seemed to have fused a flamethrower and a shotgun to create a gun that spat out streams of fire. The fire seemed to be effective against the monstrosity as it had slowed it down, the smell of burnt rotting flesh turned the air into a wretched stench but luckily, they were wearing their specialized helmets preventing them from inhaling the nasty smell. Riley had already emptied his 30 round drum magazine and had swapped ‘with the thermite slugs. The fire had died and the flesh of the monster was severely burnt and had peeled off, it was in extreme pain as it was gnawing its teeth loudly as if someone had been clawing a blackboard repeatedly. They thought it was already done for but it was still alive.  

“YEAH! That’s right bitch, we’re the boogeymen” Riley shouted. As gunfire rained at the enemy

Riley fired two shots of thermite slugs in its mouth. The slugs pierced the lower part of its mouth, lodging itself inside, and had ignited the thermite, burning the inside cavity of its mouth. It was writhing in pain, still slamming the tentacles that were left from their onslaught in an effort to lash out to the unknown enemy. The fight had only lasted for almost three minutes of continuous fire but they felt that it took them hours to bring it down. They already had enough of the weapon test and aimed a javelin at it. The sensor detected the amount of infrared signature that it was emitting and immediately gave the lock. It wasn’t a tank so the gunner did not use the top attack mode to destroy the monster. The rocket flew smoothly out of its tube and ignited the fuel, boosting itself until it hit its mark.

The aftermath of the battle had left chunks of organic matter scattered everywhere. The recon team had immediately secured the perimeter using the drones they had. The two-kilometer radius was clear of any other monsters and this gave the team, enough breathing room to compile their reports into their built-in log where they can use to file a field report and had collected tissue samples from the monster that were sealed inside specialized canisters. After they were done some of them flocked at Riley who was sitting on a piece of driftwood.

“What the hell was that man? you were spitting fire!”

“The hell did you got those rounds from?”

“What do you mean where I got it? I literally just picked those up on the corner in the armory, although, the thermite rounds were still experimental and before I forgot, I have to make a review regarding the ammo.” Riley replied. “What? Why are you giving me a surprised Pikachu face?” he added. Everyone was puzzled but they never really checked the entirety of the armory since they just pick one and ask for the ammo no questions asked, he did not have any reason to lie and in-fact Riley encourage them that they should stock up with incendiary rounds when they had the chance when they return to base.

Mem’s POV:

I was flying fast following their strange metal wagon that runs on its own, I have little knowledge of how the people of that world because of the short span of the time I visited their world, but one thing I noticed was that it’s harder to breathe, Mr. Wade was kind enough to put large oxygen tanks as he called it, I do not know what it was but he told me it gives air to breathe inside the place they live so that I won’t feel sick. They had strange clothing I had never seen before with different kinds of colors but almost had the same pattern. They were kind enough not to hurt me and were different from the men my ma and pa described.

I was high up in the air when I saw their sand-colored wagons. I landed on a tree and observed them silently. They were talking to a man and two children almost the same age as me. A few minutes later, a familiar terrifying sound came out from the jungle and the men of another world ran and hid inside their wagon. I was scared and all I can do is watch. I saw a small bug that flew out from one of the men’s hands and went into the thickets. A loud sound followed a few minutes later like continuous thunder. The men immediately formed a position I am unfamiliar with, I never saw them carrying spears and swords so I wondered how they will fight the horrible that even pa and the rest of the guardians could not hopefully be killed without losing many lives. A shrill sound of the beast echoed as the loud thunders continued. Trees and many plants had fallen as the monster rolled swaying its arms as it had revealed itself, it was one of the horribles. I wanted to warn them but I had to follow Mr. Wade’s words. Soon the men on the wagon used something that was loud and had spat out a beam of red light. Even the men on the sand were using a stick that produced a loud sound that had caused the horrible to flinch and wail in pain as flesh from its body fell off.

Their attacks continued until most of its flesh got chunked off and its arms gone, then a man nearest to the horrible used a similar weapon but it spat out a stream of fire setting the horrible ablaze. Their attack continued until someone on the back brought out a funny looking object that had launched a fiery tube into the horrible that exploded when it hit the body, causing the horrible’s flesh and blood to rain down. One thing I noticed was, it never ran towards them even though I saw how the horrible hunts its prey by following it tirelessly. These people are different, different that I felt something I hadn’t felt before. Fear.

That was the moment I realized. They were more terrifying than most of the monsters in my ma and pa’s stories.

I'll edit out some stuffs sooner or never hehe, I'm just too sleepy right now, bye bye gotta sleep, I'll update in a few days. :)

 

 

10