Chapter 11: Brewing Battle
363 3 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

So yeah, I am back, I've been hella busy for the past few months, sorry bout that. I just checked in on scribble hub from time to time to read America in another world and other stories. peace out, btw point out some flaws okay?

October 30, 2025, 15:27 -New 51 base

A few days have passed already and the base was still bustling with activities, the US marines that were stationed there were tasked to retrieve and dispose of the Horrible’s bodies that scattered in the beach a few days prior while scientists collect samples for testings in the lab. It turned out that the eclipse lasted for hours due to the many moons. The recon team was inside their designated bunks and was doing some idle tasks to pass the boredom. They were already briefed for their mission the following day. They were tasked to find Mem and seek her help, they will start off towards the islet that Mem had mentioned. After making contact with Mem, they would have to acquire a hefty amount of fire fruit from Mem’s people. It would be up to them to deal with her people. It sounded simple for them but in reality, it would be hard. but after that, there was a change of plan.

After their escape, they were issued with standard incendiary rounds, at least two persons would carry for every squad.

Later on that day, they would be briefed for tomorrow‘s mission since the higher-ups changed their minds.  They overheard that later after their mission, the marines will sweep the inside of the island along with the Army's attack reconnaissance battalion and a squadron of F-35 Lightning II.

Meanwhile, they were still stuck with the communication among the locals due to Mem’s absence, it could have been worse but things were steady for now, they were kept in isolation to be further examined and was treated for their diseases acquired inside the island and they were also given with basic necessities, they didn’t act violently and lived normally but minus the communication.

15:34-New 51 base

Marines who were selected by their commanding officers flocked inside the armory, they were told that they will receive a new type of weapons to be used.

“Yo, check this out! Seriously?”

“The hell? did they seriously pulled this out of some museum or something? New weapon my ass.”

“This looks like something that my granddaddy would use.”

Different remarks can be heard inside the large function hall. It came from the marines that were chosen to use the weapon that was lined perfectly on a long metal table and on the floor. Riley and a couple of his fellow men in the recon squad were also present, they were tasked to share their reports on the monsters personally to the team leaders of the marines. After an hour before their briefing, each one of them who was there received the flamethrowers.

“Damn this one looks like Frankenstein’s monster. Look at all these welded parts and stuff.”

“I know right. Look at this, even with the paint job, this looks way too old.”

They were given with flamethrowers that were stored in the inventories that were decommissioned many decades ago. Most of them were lucky since some were made the same year the ban on the use of flamethrowers in warfare was pitched up.

“Quit complaining also I am pretty sure they checked this with defects days prior.”

“Hopefully these won’t blow us up when using this.”

“So now what?” someone said.

 

*At the same time.* Basement 4 containment facility

“I still could not believe it. Why did we never found a place like this on the island when we drifted here?” Eicel said.

“Calm down princess. Remember we could not venture the entirety of the island due to the danger it poses. Those men, don’t act like us, and they were far too different. And one thing that also bothers me is that I could not sense magic in here. I know you know that you couldn’t sense it too. Look at their settlements, this room, everything is made of shiny metal and hard rocks that were smoothed out. The glass window is so clear and lacks impurity, they even had these bright objects that produce this white light; even the best craftsmen of the great kingdom can’t compete with all of these. The rooms’ temperature is so comfortable.” 

“Their weapon is so strange, I never heard of a weapon that cast fire yet lacks magic and produced a loud sound that is so loud it almost burst my ears. You’ve seen the flying objects right when we disembark from their carriage right? How could it possibly work, everything here doesn’t have magic even the people lack the innate magic so I am pretty sure that we are not on that wretched island anymore.”

“What do you imply? That they somehow could travel to a different location without the use of magic? Listen, we shall not do anything that will anger them, tell everyone that we’ll stay calm since we do not know our way home. They seem kind enough to give us food and clean clothes even though their clothing is so strange yet so comfortable, they even had clean water in every room. Even the royal palace can’t compete with the cleanliness of their relieving room. Sadly we could not talk with them I had many more questions to ask and it looks like the bug had left them meaning they were unable to talk to us, for now, we will wait.” Eicel said. “Also I love their garments they are neatly crafted, the tailor who made those must be very skilled at it.” She added.

(Relieving room = toilet) also do note that their comfort room is just a standard comfort room design found in any base.

16:00

Everyone who will lead each squad and the men who were tasked to man the flamethrowers in the expedition tomorrow had already been inside the function room. The lights were dim and the only illumination was from the large projector in the back. Some of them crossed their arms as they slouched on their seats and some were asleep in their chairs while their caps covered their faces. When the general walked in, some immediately stood up and tapped their sleeping colleagues, they saluted and sat back on their chairs.

Riley was sitting in the front seats, he was waiting for the General to finish his stuff so he can do his stuff afterward. The General discussed their battle plan for their follow-up mission alongside a few introductions. The content of the briefing was that they will mobilize after the recon team's mission to make contact with Mem and secure her and her kind so they won’t be caught in the crossfire. The objective of the marines was to lure out the remaining hostile flesh monsters out in the open, allowing the squadrons of Apaches and Jets to deal with them while the rest of the flamethrower-wielding units will deal with the stragglers. After a few moments, Riley and a few of the recon squad were called up so he can discuss their personal experience when fighting the monster. He gave some key points on how the monster behaved and showed the actual footage of the encounter, they shared their idea on how to attack and the best weapon to deal with the monsters, after a few hours of question and answer, the meeting finally concluded.

Riley was heading towards the mess hall when Riley was called and was told to meet Wade in his office. Riley was confused but he went regardless.

20:11 President Wade’s office

Riley was led towards the office and Wade greeted him.

“Good evening Riley,” Wade said warmly.

“Good evening, so why did you call me?” Riley replied.

“Well let’s go straight to the point, the reason why I called you here is I want your opinion on this one here,” Wade said.

“Uhuh, why me, sure you had your secretaries and other advisors to handle that,” Riley replied.

“Well technically, I already did, but I’m sure you would be surprised if I tell you this, about a month ago, I was sorting through some documents in order to transfer our older hardware here, most were decommissioned weapons that were collecting dust all over the world, upon sifting through the older papers I came through this one.”

Upon talking, Wade handed an old document to Riley, Wade took out a few bottles of beer from his fridge and handed one to Riley. Riley accepted and chugged half of its content. He then took out a box of frozen pizza and heated it in the microwave oven.

Riley looked at the document and upon reading the title, Riley’s eyes grew wide.

“Holy shit! Are you serious? Holy shit! where is it now?

“Currently it was in a secret naval base in Alaska that was long abandoned and forgotten by many, knowing you’re a battleship nerd, I ought to tell you this,” Wade said with a smirk on his face.

“I’ll tell you the content of that document, after the world war, when the idea to make a bigger battleship surfaced, that gave birth to the proposition to make the Montana class battleship, but before that surfaced, the reality was that they already built one that was complete, there were three in total that were under construction but the other two weren’t finished by the time they canceled the project since they think its a waste of money and manpower and they didn’t announce it since the people at the time would go nuts if they were informed that the government wasted millions given that the country is suffering from mass hunger and poverty in many states…….so that was it, and currently they are being  modernized all of them would be nuclear powered and would be packing serious firepower.”

“Jesus that’s so cool, but where did you get the funding then?”

“It’s not exactly cheap, but it’s not exactly expensive too, most of the funds came from that place, it turned out that they were keeping a shit ton of gold and other treasures there, mostly loots from the past war in a massive vault 500 feet underground.”

“And how exactly does a specific treasure trove In a vault easily forgotten?”

“Well, the place had an accident and was contaminated with chemicals making it harmful to enter at that time, and a few people only knew about it since the soldiers that were posted there had no idea where they were since they were not informed, it’s a big deal back then. And the big men that knew died there and the surviving person was assassinated a year later, politics-related stuff.” Wade said.

“So let me guess, you went and deal with this because you don’t want to share the current strike groups here in order to maintain the maximum defense that we currently had?”

“Precisely, you’re really sharp Riley, the first battleship is already finished, by the way, she’s coming a week from now. Anyway, what you said is true. I don’t want to risk removing two or three strike groups from the chessboard, that’s why I’m going through such length, three new Gerald R. Ford carrier is almost finished and they will be immediately deployed while we would pick three older carriers to be pulled out under the pretext of maintenance but in reality, we would deploy them here. A number of destroyers, a few of them are new will be sent here and all vessels would pass through the gate once the other side is capable of harboring our vessels.”

“Geez, that’s a lot of work, and how the hell are we gonna find the shit ton of cash needed to arm everything then?” Riley piped in.

“Well, for starter, we actually cut a few dollars from different places especially the FTL program since it was over-budgeted and since business is booming and the economy is stable, we had a few dollars to spare for the budget and later on in the near future, after exploring this place, we’ll extract any possible resources from this place to fuel our exploration beyond.”

“Dang, why are you telling me this big stuffs, you know I’m just a grunt around here.”

“Jeez, Riley, you’re my friend and I trust you more than anyone else, and I can only tell you and Margaret about these things casually with no worries, I got tons in my mind and at least I can vent something out since ideas can hatch in a normal conversation.”

“Yeah, yeah, it’s already late now, well, take care, my friend, I’ll tuck myself in now, I want to be fresh as a daisy for tomorrow’s job.”

Riley left Wade’s office and went to sleep soundly but halfway through midnight, the scream of the engines of the five C-5M super galaxy that landed in intervals broke his peaceful nap.

8