Chapter 31: Having a Goddess girlfriend and volcano daughter sure helps.
7.8k 20 205
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The meeting hall stayed silent for a moment after what Erevain just said.

"Hoh~~~, a bloody garden of violet flowers, you say? Then dealing with her will be quite an easy task."

I say so full of confidence while some of the maids look at me astonished.

Kris is laughing though.

Ah, Gabrielle is pretty much back to normal from the tense state she was in.

Also, I know that it sounds like I didn't learn a thing from what happened in the forest, but what I mean is that I will not let her do something like that. If I can, I will break all her magic, if not, I will take her somewhere else. Lock ourselves in a separate space...

"I just have to stop her before she tries to use that trump card of hers with some of mine..."

My mouth curls into a hyped-up smile and...huh, so this is how it feels to be looking forward to a fight.

"...do believe that I have a lot of them."

After all, there are many things that I want to try out with magic and my knowledge...heh.

Now, time to wipe away those still tense faces from some of them.

"All of you are one of those. And I believe I told you to acknowledge your value. Have you not been training as I said you should?"

The tension disappears from their faces slowly as they take in my words.

"Are you blind to your new strengths?"

Some start shaking their heads, answering me with a 'no'.

"Was I wrong in counting on you?"

With that little push their faces fired up.

"""Of course not, Master!"""

And they strongly let that out in response.

"Then do not dare show such tense faces again unless there is an actual reason to do so. But I shall be clear, I am not underestimating our enemy. I am simply not giving them the satisfaction of being feared in excess."

I complement my words with a serious expression to drive the point home and it works.

The tension in their faces is gone.

Now we can move on.

"Erevain, go on."

"Yes, My Lord. Then, three teams are going to be the ones operating in the capital while the rest shall keep training and preparing for battle. As for the journey itself, we can arrive at the capital in five days via carriage."

As she finishes saying that, Erevain puts a map on the table and marks the route we would be taking.

With our speed we could arrive faster on foot though...

“Still, it is as you may be thinking, My Lord. Having personally experienced the speed we wield now; our arrival could certainly be a faster one if we were to travel on foot. But I advise against doing so, for that would be considered suspicious or at least worth noting, given our numbers, appearances, and the fact that we are strangers to them. As such, using a carriage, which is fairly common, is a better option.”

Did—? Did Erevain just read my mind?!

No...nah, of course not, she is just that good of a right-hand woman.

Ah, instinct tells me that is correct.

That’s a relief...

I have enough with just one mind reading woman in my life...

OUCH!

WHY DID YOU HIT ME WITH YOUR ELBOW NERINNE?!

It was a joke!

It hurts!

Can't let it show on my face. Can't let it show on my face. Can't let it show on my face. It really hurts...

"Indeed, well thought, Erevain. Do we have a carriage then?"

Because if not, then I'll have to make one and I'm not sure if it will come out alright. As in, not ridiculously foreign like a certain mobile game merchant thot queen's.

"We do, My Lord. It was part of the property that we procured from those who wanted to profit from Illumbee village's situation. It is in good condition and only needs to be given the standard maintenance before the trip. It is currently in one of the warehouses within the castle."

Oh, that is good.

Also, she said warehouses, so there must be a lot, I guess.

I need to properly inspect this place.

Maybe add a field that doubles as training grounds and a place to leave the carriage instead of inside a warehouse.

I mean, that Undead Majesty has an entire forest floor in his dungeon, one that even has a simulated sky and a day and night cycle.

I don't see why I can't do that too?

Ah, plan to get the base to more ridiculous isekai levels...check.

"You can count on me taking good care of that carriage, Master. The things I need for its maintenance were already in it, so no problems there."

Says Roxxy as she puffs her chest both proudly and with confidence.

"Impressive, you seem to have quite the diverse set of skills."

I say genuinely impressed, not only because that helps a lot, but also because having a blacksmith that doubles as a mechanic is surprising. Different specializations and all that.

Now, please be the only remaining apprentice of a legendary blacksmith and I could check another thing off my isekai things list.

I mean, having the prince(ss) of the kingdom and the heir of a legendary blacksmith at the same time would be really cool, right?

That would also save time that would've been used for her introduction arc!

"Nay...it’s not something that incredible. Pops used to say that if I just stubbornly focused on making weapons and the like, life would teach me other fields. Whether I wanted it or not. So, I took it to heart as much as I could. Even then, life ended up doing that anyway, hahaha!"

She had gotten a bit red due to my compliment, but instead of being embarrassed she’s taking it well, as you can hear with that hearty laugh of hers.

Also, her father is quite right if you ask me.

Please be a legendary blacksmith!

"Your father sounds like a wise person, if not at least someone who lives his life fully."

I say so sincerely.

"Aye, that he is."

There’s nostalgia in her voice and eyes as she says that, more so than pride. She misses him.

In any case, let’s move on.

"With our means of transportation taken care of then, any ideas about how to enter the capital without raising suspicions? The palace too. While they shall not recognize us at once thanks to the swift actions of Luca and Sophie, it is safe to assume that they are still going to increase their security. If they do not, then they would be fools."

I say that even if it’s obvious. We only changed our descriptions and names in those scrolls, but they will still know that we stopped their plot in the village, and us going to get them would be an easy conclusion to arrive at. More so with the loss of those they conscripted and a spy, plus disappearance of another one.

"We could try—"

"May I?"

Erevain was cut off by none other than...my darling.

Nerinne.

"O-Of course, Goddess."

Says Erevain in a respectful tone despite being a bit startled by the sudden divine interjection. Everyone else seems to be paying absolute attention to her, to the point that I won’t be surprised if no one blinks until she stops talking.

"Fufu~~, thank you, Erevain. Those two things will not be a problem anymore. I just finished making the arrangements for your arrival and secured a way to get you all into the palace if the opportunity arises."

Darling, you are being vague on purpose so that my instinct doesn't spoil the surprise, that is so cute.

Love you.

She smiled! Ah, my heart!

"Per agreement with the nations of the world, she still must live in the kingdom for two more years before moving to the next country, so that is quite convenient for us. She will leave instructions to the corresponding authorities and prepare your lodging."

Says Nerinne with a confident smile.

"She...? Would that be...?!"

Erevain murmurs that to herself, but it has been immediately picked up by Nerinne and me.

Sumanai.

"Indeed, Erevain. I am referring to her, the current head of the church, Ludovica Aldert."

Everyone's eyes widen for a moment and then they nod as if that made perfect sense.

And well, it kind of does? I mean the head of the church is supposed to be the one closer to god, or Goddess in this case.

Nerinne being Nerinne, it would stand to reason that they would actually be talking to each other instead of only being a metaphor or a blatant lie.

Although...you could argue that I am closer to Nerinne than her...sumanai, Ludovica...sumanai.

"I just finished talking with her, she was more than pleased to help us and our cause. Even more so, she seemed relieved to know that we would be intervening. She also told me that the church started their own investigation recently, thanks to a noble who asked her about the village being cursed and then saying that that it was only a rumor.”

That's understandable. Also, I can take that noble off the list of suspects then, because I am sure that no one involved would be idiot enough to tell the head of the church something like that and not expect the church to start an investigation into the matter immediately.

That must have been their plan all along.

Speaking of that noble, in some isekais some nobles oversee the land. So, maybe it was that noble?

I know, I know, in my world there were things like that too, duh. You don't have to look at me like that.

"I told her to wait for your arrival before doing anything besides getting information that could help us. Your cover story will be the same as in the village, just like Gabrielle said, important people from a faraway isolated country. And if they ask where that nation is, just point here on the map."

Nerinne says so while putting her finger in a section of the map where various mountains make something akin to a square and inside it there is an uncharted area with ‘lost forest’ written over it. It seems to be just outside of both the Kingdom and the Empire's territories.

Wow, that is...wow.

"Excellent."

I say with...hmm?

Why are you looking at me like that, darling?

Wait, you want me to say it?!

But that would totally be out of character!

Please stop looking at me like that, Nerinne! It's kind of embarrassing...

Ah…you are about to pout, aren’t you?

F-Fine, I'll do it!

"Excellent, m-my darling."

There! I said it! And now I am all red in front of the Maid-Knights!

Kris is trying her hardest not to laugh! Lucy too!

"Fufu~~, that is the least I could do to help you, my dear. But there is something more I can do."

She extends her hand and takes the list of materials that was on the table.

"Moon tear? Oh my! That material is quite rare, and it is safeguarded by the Kingdom. Acquiring it could be a problem, no?"

So asks Nerinne.

"N-Nay, Goddess. It is safeguarded for its magic resistance properties, but...if one has the coin, one can buy a piece as a collector's item or an expensive gift in some stores in the capital..."

With that, Roxxy answers Nerinne’s question, albeit nervously.

"Ah, then that is good. Thank you, Roxxy. Please, call me Nerinne next time, yes?"

Asks my darling innocently.

She really wants to be treated as a companion...but hey, Sylvie already agreed to be your friend and Erica indeed went to talk to you, so there is some progress.

Nerinne nods slightly at my comment as she continues reading the list of materials.

"Firestone, Blaze Crystals, Obsidian, Ebonice, Sunstone and add some jewels for pocket change. Hmm...yes, I think we can cross these ones off the list."

She says that while smiling…but why?

"How?"

I ask the question everyone wanted to ask, but no one was doing so.

"Oh Auros, do not forget about our cute daughter here."

Nerinne looks at her after saying that and she nods.

Hmm...ah, I get it.

"Yes...Father. Ilya...can help...want to...help...will...help."

Aww…!!!

She just made the cutest smile I have ever seen her do since her latest cutest smile!

Now she is joining her hands as if she is going to clap and…oh! Her hair and eyes are lighting up and glowing in the same way lava does!

All while her hands are giving off an orange glow that grows stronger as she separates them and then…poof! Several rocks just appeared on the table!

"These are...!"

Roxxy quickly gets up in surprise as she exclaims that and then looks at me as if asking for permission, which I give her. Meanwhile, all the other maids are staring dumbfounded.

She quickly grabs one of the rocks and looks at it closely. It looks like a ruby but with a constant glow of magical energy within. My senses also let me see the fiery aura surrounding it.

"There’s no mistake, Master! This is a Firestone! Its purity is so high I can just tell without tools! And this one is a high clarity Blaze Crystal!! I haven't seen one of these in years!!!"

She says so as she grabs a second 'rock'. This one looks like an almost transparent crystal that has a reddish tinge to it but is subtle enough that it’s like an optical illusion.

I then look at Ilya and smile at her.

"Did...good...Father?"

She asks me that even if she doesn't need to.

"Yes, you did, Ilya. You are incredible."

I want to hug her so much, but I control myself and just pat her head.

"Roxxy...happy...?"

Aww...my shy daughter is doing her best! Luca! Learn from her!

"Me? Aye! Thank you very much, kiddo! I will make you a cute hairpin as thanks!"

Roxxy is indeed really happy and judging by how many different rocks were on the table, I can guess that they are the same as those Nerinne read aloud a few minutes ago.

"I...have...bigger stones...of all these...if Roxxy happy then...Ilya will give them...to her..."

Ilya, I'm so proud of you! I want to cry!

“Aye! Please! And if you can, I would like you to visit my smithy, kiddo!”

Hearing my cute daughter’s words, Roxxy goes full hype and tells her that, which in turn makes Ilya turn to Nerinne and I as if asking for permission.

GODDESS, HOW CUTE OUR DAUGHTER CAN BE?!

We, of course, give her said permission and with that, she agrees to Roxxy’s request.

Maybe Ilya is on her way of making her first friend?

_____________________________________________________

The meeting then went along quite fast.

After that bit, we agreed in modifying the carriage so that it could go along better with our cover story and Roxxy would need a day to have that done.

Nerinne also wanted the time to make more clothes for me and whoever else was coming.

As for that...

"The first team will include Erevain, Erica, Bertia and I. We shall meet with the people of the church and devise a plan of action."

After I said that my gaze fell on the maids who were going to work with me for the first time. 

"I shall make it my duty to not disappoint you, Master."

Erica’s earnest tone was not just a front, it was like a vow. Curiously, the way she spoke there was like Erevain’s.

"I will do my best! Be it healing or putting someone in their place! Just give me the order, Master!"

Meanwhile, Bertia was pumped and looked ready for anything.

"Umu, I shall count on you two."

I said that as I nodded at them, moving on shortly after.

"The second team shall be composed of Gabrielle, Lucy and Mika. You shall be in charge of procuring the rest of the materials on Roxxy’s list, as well as gathering any piece of information you can obtain from the merchants and vendors. Needless to say, any bit can be important. You shall rejoin us after completing these tasks.”

"Consider it done, my Master."

Just remembering the endearing smile Gabrielle showed me as she said that makes my heart jump, she is such a top beauty.

"Yeah! Don't worry Master! With me negotiating and Mika here appraising, no price is set in stone!"

Said Lucy as she put her arm on Mika's shoulder and gave me thumbs up along with a wink.

I seriously love her attitude.

"I will be sure to bring you the best materials we can find master."

The same attitude that Mika didn’t share as she spoke in a more serious manner, but then she finished in the best way possible. As in…SHE PUSHED HER GLASSES UP! SHE ACTUALLY DID IT!

"Do so and with haste, Roxxy will need every additional second you can give her."

Of course, I controlled my excitement towards such a classic thing actually happening and said that perfectly, which made the members of this second team respond with a hearty ‘yes!’ in unison.

"The third team shall gather information from every person of interest even remotely related with the area where Illumbee village is. You shall start from the nobles and go your way down from there. But only after we meet with the people of the church, for their information shall help us reduce the number of suspects, or at least to not interfere with each other. Luca, you shall be leading this team. Sophie, you shall join her, your skills will serve to notify us if anything of importance happens. Jules, you are joining them too.”

"Master, may I volunteer? I grew up exploring the capital and I know of its various secret tunnels and entrances."

The one who said that was none other than the purple-haired maid right next to Luca. She is on the petite side, but not a loli! Understood?! Banhammer begone! In any case, thanks to her pull-through braid and calm expression she looked quite beautiful and had a certain air of maturity to her.

Her name was Allegra, she was a scout like Luca.

"Very well, your knowledge shall be quite useful. I look forward to see it in action."

Fantasy capital filled with secret tunnels and such...check, ha!

Also, Kris is staying behind because she wants to train seriously. She told me that back at the inn.

"Thank you Master, I will show you that you can put your trust in me."

Said Allegra with a satisfied smile. Her voice was so serene back then...I like it, a lot.

"We...will do…our best, Master!"

Luca, you are cute already, but when you talked like that your cute points went beyond!

"I-I shall not disappoint you, Master...Goddess...!"

Sophie was quite nervous as she said that, so I turned my gaze at Nerinne and sure enough, there she was looking directly at her.

Nerinne…I know you can hear me even as I narrate this little flashback, don’t bully her at every chance you have.

But I digress.

"Hmm, I will do as you ask, Master. May I ask for some extra food as a reward after the mission?"

Said Jules completely serious and with a look that complemented such seriousness.

I bet that sharp gaze can intimidate a lot of people, but not me since it was nowhere near as scary or shocking as Erevain's glaring face. Just don't tell her that or she will get depressed. It also kind of turned me on, because of course, I love sharp gazes that remind me of besto waifu's.

"Of course. I shall even cook something for you if the result is outstanding."

The ingredients are already here, and I can cook like any otaku who wanted to recreate the dishes that appeared in their favorite anime. Although, I did expand later to other recipes and thanks to that, I discovered the gloriousness of pulled pork sandwiches.

So, knowing all that, I said such words with the utmost confidence. And the moment I did, the eyes of every single maid shined like stars, full of motivation.

“""""We will do our best!!""""””

Every single Maid-Knight, except for Erevain, who seemed to be holding herself back, let that out quite strongly.

Huh, now that I think about it, it seems that they took it as if I would give that kind of reward to everyone…but it should’ve been clear back then that I was answering to Jules’ request, right?

Oh well, it’s fine. The more the merrier I say!

Still, the meeting went quite well if I say so myself.

And after finalizing the details, I was free to do whatever I want!

You know what that means?

A BATH!!

BUT...!

ONSEN OR WESTERN?! THAT IS THE QUESTION!!

 

To be continued...(cue the most obvious answer in the world)

 

Glossary entry #18:

Sumanai: A way to say sorry in Japanese.

Onsen: Traditional Japanese outdoor baths that appear in lots, LOTS, of anime. With lots, LOTS, of times being place for fanservice to occur. And yes, there's even an isekai where the protagonist reincarnated as an onsen!

 

Here we have Allegra in the same style as...you know already!

Allegra:

Thank you for reading!

205