Chapter 75: A ball awaits. Dresses arrive. Mouths are left agape.
4.3k 37 161
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the room closest to a certain someone's, when the sky was close to be painted in the colors of a new day, a black-haired maid was still dreaming.

She dreamt of the past.

She dreamt of bygone days much earlier than a certain Order.

She dreamt of days even earlier than her days in a certain academy.

She dreamt of a time when things were…if not simpler, at least much different.

She dreamt of her childhood.

She dreamt of…halcyon days.

Yes…even if those days were full of lessons, trials and challenges put before her by her parents.

And the reason was simple…she was happy.

She was happy learning everything she could from those lessons.

She was happy facing the impossible trials set by her mother in her training.

She was happy taking on the challenges made by her father in his training.

She was happy playing around with her childhood friend in the gardens of the palace, reenacting the legends of the Knights she looked up to.

She was happy taking care of her little brother and telling him such legends every night.

Indeed…it was a time when she did not have to worry about the innocence of her brother nor her childhood friend.

And of course...

"We are almost there, my son. You can do it."

"Yes, Father! Hnng...!"

...it was a time when her father was that.

A father.

One who would sometimes take her on small journeys outside of the Capital, regardless if that meant skipping classes and kingly responsibilities alike.

And the scene that her dream showed her was one of those journeys, one where they were climbing up the skirt of one of the smaller mountains in the Kingdom after having dealt with some monsters.

There, her father had reached the spot where they would both camp and take in the vista that it provided.

Meanwhile, the child that was Erevain was only a few meters away, climbing up the path that his father had taken, carefully grabbing each ledge, and making sure that his footing was sure.

And as he got close enough to his goal, his father crouched and looked at him in the eye.

"Do you need a hand, my son?"

"No."

So answered the child that was Erevain as he shook his head.

And indeed, he did not need it.

His hands were not trembling, nor were his legs  tired.

After all, it was not his first time climbing and his body was already well conditioned enough by his parents’ training.

Still, his father did not move and neither did Erevain.

"Do you want one?"

"...yes."

Before such question, the child that was Erevain looked at his father and then looked slightly down as if pondering about it for a moment before looking up once more and smiling at his father as he said that.

"That is the right answer. Here."

“Hn!”

“Up you go.”

With that, his father pulled him up with ease, but he did not put him on the rocky ground he was standing on, no, he brought him all the way up his shoulders and sat him there, causing Erevain to smile even more.

“Do you know why it was the right answer, my son?”

“Because there is no shame in asking for help, father?”

“Close, very close, my son.”

The child that was Erevain could not see it, but his father was smiling proudly as he said that. Still, such sentiment could be transmitted through his voice just as easily.

“There is indeed no shame in asking for help but wanting help…that is something that takes a certain kind of strength. The strength to know that there is no need to do things alone and that there is nothing wrong in reaching out, even if you can do things on your own.”

“Hmm…but isn’t all of that contained in what I said?”

“Hehahaha! Perhaps it is, my son. Perhaps your father just wanted to say something profound when faced with this incredible view. Or at least something that sounded profound.”

“Don’t worry, father. It was profound. I will keep it in my heart.”

“You do that, my son. Because no matter whether you are a king or a farmer, being able to reach out to someone is something invaluable. Now…how about we take this view in.”

“Yes, father.”

With that, they both stayed silent for a couple of minutes before the child that was Erevain broke the silence.

“Father…do you think I will be a good king?”

“I…well, I am afraid that the Goddess might punish me if I say no, heh. But even then, I cannot say, my son.”

“Why?”

“Because that is up to you and only you.”

“But I don’t know…that is why I’m asking…”

“I see, so you don’t know. Then let me ask you this…do you love what you see here, my son? Do you love the forests that bless this Kingdom? Do you love this mountain and the other mountains that cross this Kingdom? Do you love the valleys? The sea? The lakes? The villages? The cities? The people? Do you love them, my son?”

“…! Yes, father! Yes, I do! The forests give us lots of blessings! Berries, wood, meat and more! The mountains give us minerals and refuge! The valleys give us good soil for farming and guide us to fresh water! The sea blesses us with fish, algae and more! The villages, the cities, they bless us with providing a place for our people! And our people are the Kingdom!”

“Well said, my son. Then, there’s your answer. A king that loves is much better than a king that does not. But that is not all there is to it.”

“No…?”

Confused, the child that was Erevain tilted his head to the side as he asked.

“No. While a king that loves is much better, if they do not have the strength to carry that duty and the willingness to do so because they want to, then that love has no floor to stand on.”

“Then…I want…I want to be strong enough, father.”

“That, my son. That is the best answer. Don’t worry, I have a good feeling that you will.”

“Thank you…dad. I love you.”

“And I love you, Erevain. Always.”

In that moment, just as the sun completely set in the dream’s horizon, the black-haired maid opened her silver eyes and found herself back in the present.

And as she looked at the ceiling of her room, she raised her arm as if reaching out to something…someone, but then she closed her hand and brought it close to her heart, all while she grimaced in a certain manner.

“Father…what happened?”

So said Erevain in the faintest of voices.

________________________________________

This is it.

Today is the day of the ball.

Today is the climax for the first volume. Wink. Wink. Nudge. Nudge.

The essential mission to advance through the Nerinne route! And the Erevain route!

"Fufufu~~. Indeed, dear. It is also the climax for the Maid-Knights as former knights of this Kingdom."

Yes, it is also the time for Erevain and Erica to confront their past and the people in it.

For Erevain it is her father, brother, and childhood friend. Not only that, but there is also her fated enemy…Eternal Winter.

And she will surely make an appearance.

That title in Erevain's stat sheet pretty much guarantees it.

As for Erica, it is the childhood friend who became a sister to her.

Lastly, we already have the surprise for the King in place.

"Oh, and that despicable Violet Death is already preparing her armies, dear. She has even gone from using just her mana to using the world's to foster her numbers with more undead and monsters. She clearly does not care about me being able to see her doing that. She is quite confident...kukuku...I can't wait to see that confidence crushed...kukuku..."

Easy there, darling! It is still too early for you to go dark!

"Ah, I am sorry, dear.  It is as you say, I cannot let myself be distracted. After all, I still have to give your dresses the last touches."

That sounds more like you haven't decided which one you want me to wear out of the possible million dresses you've already made.

"Oh my, is it that obvious? I did access the internet of your world to look for some base designs, but I was having so much fun making yours and your dates' that when I came too, I already had too many of them."

...

I was joking...

"You were? Oh dear."

Pfft...hahahaha you...dork of a Goddess.

"Hey! You dummy, at least praise me for my hard work..."

You are right, darling. Great job. I can always count on you.

"Fufufu~~ indeed. Ahhh, it was such nice pastime for these few days while doing everything else. So many different dresses I want you to wear. Fufufu~~, although I am keeping some for our private time together because they are too...good. And I want to be the only one to see the expressions that they will paint on your face."

Darling, I don't know if this was your objective, but I still felt a shiver go down my spine.

Heck, I even covered my chest unconsciously...oh no...I'm already red...this damn imaginative mind of mine!

It is so nice and hot imagining besto waifu with all those fan servicey designs but...!

No! One of the reasons for wanting this body is cosplay! I can't be embarrassed!

I can't back down on that!

Put whatever you want on me! You shall not see me embarrassed, darling!!

Look, I am even making the pose of 'come at me' to show you how serious I am!

"Fufufu~~, we'll see, we'll see. Still, I have narrowed the dresses down to two."

Oh! Then, do you want me to try them on?

"Yes, that will certainly help in my decision, dear."

Great, there is still time before breakfast so let's do this, Nerinne.

"Sending them to you now, dear. Do use the underwear that comes with the dresses too, dear. It is all part of a set."

...more thongs?

"Hmm, how did the saying go in your former world? Ah, right. You bet your beautiful white and solid bottom that they are."

Why am I not surprised about this anymore?

*fwoosh*

Aaaand here they are, appearing on my bed in a flash of blue light, while preparing myself for another day of using a thong.

What? I should have gotten used to it by now, you say?

I know! And it is indeed being easier for me to use them! That freedom of movement! That allure! But it is a matter of principle now!!

Hm?

Wait...these two dresses seem familiar...

"Oh, so you noticed. Indeed, I did say I used some of the ones I found on the internet of your world as a base. These are the end products of two different lines based on two of those dresses. I maintained the essence to give tribute to the beautiful mortal who thought of them and gave me inspiration. Come on, dear! Try them on! I already sent Erevain, Gabrielle, and someone else their dresses, so try out yours too!"

Yeah, yeah, it almost feels like you are physically pushing me even if you are not technically here!

Also, what is that about an extra person?

"Come on, dear! That can wait! Hurry! I spent so much time making them that I really want to see you in them!"

Ok! Ok! Look! I am taking off my night robe!

Geez...nothing can't stop you when you are like that...

"Right back at you, dear. Fufufu~~."

Heh. I can't argue with that.

_____________________________________________

"Master, I deeply apologize but...! Please, let me accompany you to the ball too!"

This is the first thing I see after coming out of my room for breakfast, Erica bowing deeply and making a petition that a certain Goddess already knew about.

"Fufufu~~."

Oh, also I am wearing my normal outfit and not the ball dress right now. If you were wondering about that. Hm? What color is my underwear, you ask? Heh, black and red, of course.

But I digress.

"Hmph, have you asked Erevain and Gabrielle about this?"

I glance to the end of the hallway as I say this and see that those two are there.

"Yes, I did, Master. I would not have brought this to you if I had not."

She says that with her head still down.

"Is that so."

I look again at the maids and they nod.

So, they agree to her going.

Good.

Thinking back to yesterday's night this must have been an obvious development for me, an isekai addict...but I was too busy laughing with what happened next to think about it...heh...

Oh wait, so that's why they agreed! Ha!

"Very well, I do not see the problem with you accompanying us. But let me be clear, Erica..."

My edge alter tone becomes a bit more intense as I continue, just enough to emphasize what I'm going to say.

"...you cannot be acting up while we are there. It is a given that Mary is going to be there, so control yourself."

"I will not shame you like that, Master. I swear."

So says Erica while looking me in the eye after raising her head.

I can also see that Erica's hands are no longer trembling in frustration like last night.

"Good. If that is all, then let us have breakfast."

With that, I walk past her and then she follows close behind me, the other two joining her shortly after.

Meanwhile, the rest of the maids, plus Lyra, are already at the table.

Yeah, Lyra pretty much acts like a cat than a tiger, coming and leaving the suite at any hour.

But I do not have a problem with that.

Why? Fluff, of course!!

"Ah, Erica."

I just remembered something.

"Yes, Master?"

"Do not worry about the dress you shall be wearing tonight; it must be already in your room. That is the same for you two, Erevain, Gabrielle."

I say while glancing at my sides.

"It will be an honor to wear a dress made by the Goddess herself. I shall do my best to do so with the pride and gracefulness it deserves, My Lord."

Says Erevain with her cool tone. Ahhh, I can't wait to see how gorgeous she looks with it!!

"My, indeed. I cannot disappoint you, my dear Master. This beauty of mine is yours and only yours. As such, I am grateful to the Goddess for giving me the chance to show it to you in such gallant event. Of course, I too shall endeavor to act with the finest of bearings."

Says Gabrielle with a look full of anticipation and an honest smile.

"A-a d-dress made by t-the Goddess?"

Heh, and that cute mumbling is from Erica. She has a mix of fear and surprise in her voice.

You get what you ask for, Erica.

__________________________________________

"Everyone today is the day when all of us shall face our first true battle against the forces that wish harm upon our world as the Knights of the Ever-Burning Will. Today we shall show Master Auros that her trust in us is warranted. That we are worthy of walking the same path as her.”

Erevain started our post-breakfast meeting with those words and man, they are already sounding epic.

She really has a talent for it!

“Some of us shall be inside the capital's walls while others will be on the battlefield. Even so, remember. Remember that we are connected. By our past, by our oaths, and our shared future as sisters in this reborn Order.”

Ohh! She used ‘sisters’!!

Nice!!

“We shall not let a single monster, undead, lizardman or Dragon Lord touch this city and its inhabitants. Because that is our duty as Knights, our responsibility as those blessed with power and...most importantly, because this place was our home even if our last memories of it were sour."

I am totally inspired by her words! And the others are too!

"As you all know, our Lord foresaw this and ordered everyone in the castle to be prepared for battle at any time. Thus, when Violet Death's forces are located, we shall take action. Everyone who is not at the ball shall be teleported to the battlefield by our Lord. So be prepared.”

Everyone nods as she says that.

“Kris shall be there and take command until either me, Erica, or Gabrielle arrive. Next, you all know your roles. Luca, Allegra, Jules, use the chaos of the battlefield to your advantage and take as much high-ranking heads as possible. That goes for the other scouts who are training in the castle too. We need that opposing army to fall into chaos.”

Luca and Allegra nod at that while Jules gives Erevain the thumbs up.

“Bertia, you will join the rest of the support unit with Louise, Roxxy and the rest of the healers. Take care of any wounded, be it us or soldiers from the Kingdom. Save and protect as much as you can. When Gabrielle arrives, you shall join her in the offensive as always. The rest of you shall move as Kris tells you too. We shall not let a single enemy standing. Be it foot soldier or Dragon Lord. Understood?"

"""""YES, LEADER!"""""

And there it is! Everyone saying that in unison! So good!

Also, I am glad that I asked Sophie to transmit this to the people of the castle, so  there’s no doubt that everyone is on the same page now.

That is why even they answered with that when Erevain finished.

Ah, speaking of Sophie, she has a 'what about me?' expression on her face.

I look at her and smile.

"...!"

Now she just got startled and her expression is pretty much saying ‘shit, I shouldn't have made that face!'.

"Now…there is one of you that was not mentioned right now by Erevain, Sophie."

So I say firmly while still looking at her.

"Y-yes?!"

And she quickly responds with her usual fear.

"The reason behind that is simple. You have an important role in all of this. It is the role that will either make you a full-fledged member of the Knights of Ever-Burning Will or keep you in the status you are right now. Such role involves you overseeing the communication between everyone while on the battlefield. And it should be needless to say, but it is one of the most important tasks one can have. I know that you are able to do it. But do you think that you are up to the task?"

I can’t make a more serious expression than the one I’m making right now.

Her skills, her former class, they always seemed to me like they were specialized in live information relay or at least they were aiming up to be that.

And even if she did not have the power to do so before, our pact should have given her that push.

Hm? Am I so sure about this because I read her sheet, you say?

Nope, I have not seen her info yet, but I do not need to.

My instinct, and the look Sophie is giving me now, tells me all that I need to know.

There is no doubt in her eyes.

No weird laugh too.

She is as serious as me now.

She knows that this is the mission she was waiting for.

"I can do it, Master. I will show you."

And her tone while firmly declaring that, is just as serious.

One that I haven't heard from her, but one that I'm proud of hearing now.

"Master, can I accompany her?"

Hm? Lyra? She is raising her hand and…volunteering? She should have heard what we are up against, right? So, she should understand that this is not going to be a simple skirmish, the stakes are high.

Hmmm…I have a feeling…and I could gauge her strength with my senses but let's ask her.

"By now you should be aware of what we shall be facing. So, I shall ask you directly. Are you strong enough to accompany Sophie on the battlefield?"

Hearing that, she abandons her human form, in which she was while having breakfast, turns back to her beast-kin form.

Then, her eyes begin glowing as well as the white and black stripes on hair and tail.

Of course, it doesn’t take too long for her mana to manifest as a powerful aura that covers her completely.

Said aura is a of clear white color with black stripes just like her.

I can also feel the attributes of darkness and ice dwelling within her.

Could this be the usual for white tiger beast-kin? Or more like snow tiger in this case?

"I am as strong as the Paladins guarding her Holiness. I promise, I will not fall in battle that easily, Master."

Hmm…the Paladins guarding Ludovica should be plenty strong. After all, Kris did say that plenty of Paladins were a death sentence for those that confronted them. She also said that a Paladin kicked her ass every time they sparred so...an elite of those guys should be even stronger, huh?

"Indeed, dear. They pass through many trials to gain the advanced class of Exalted Paladin, an elite as you say. Although their name is shortened to Paladin for convenience. So, Kris might have been sparring with one but never specified. And this girl is telling the truth. She does have the equivalent strength of one.”

I see…

One thing though...that damn Count...what manner of harsh training did the bastard forced her to do?

“Yes…the training to achieve that level of equivalent strength is no less than despicable, with no regard for the person's life. But that Count is already being punished by me, dear. So, look at it from the bright side. If she were to make a pact with you, she would be one of your strongest members."

Indeed…and yeah, she can't hurt or force her to do something anymore.

On the bright side, I can see in her eyes that she genuinely wants to help.

Who am I to reject her honest wish?

And it is also quite convenient at that!

After all, I always thought that I would be making a pact with her after finishing all of this.

"Hmph, very well then. This shall be your trial too. Survive this. Fight shoulder to shoulder with her and you shall become a full-fledged member too. And let me be clear, not only me, but the Goddess is watching you too. So do your best, Lyra."

As I finish saying that Lyra’s ears and tail stand up, showing her surprise before bowing.

"I will."

With that, Lyra puts her arm over Sophie’s shoulder, rests her head besides hers, and makes the ‘V’ signal with her fingers.

"Cat and Dog team for the win. Yay."

"...!"

This girl...! If I wasn't in serious mode, I would've burst out laughing!! Or died of cuteness!!

Her almost dead-pan face and almost monotone way of talking while doing all of that are too strong!!!

"Keh! I told you to stop calling me like that, you cat!"

And now Sophie is trying to get Lyra off her face by pushing her, but Lyra just glues herself to her again.

"""""Pfft..."""""

EVERYONE IS TRYING NOT TO LAUGH TOO!!

"Heh..."

"Hahaha...haha..."

Bertia and Lucy are about to lose it!

Aww man, what a way to take away all the tension...heh.

________________________________________________

And so, the hours passed, and the night came to the Capital, filling the sky with beautiful stars once again. It was then that a group of five women walked through the halls of the Royal Palace.

The place was adorned with various decorations that gave a truly eventful feel to the place, including a beautifully made red carpet that led the guests to the hall that would be the venue for the night.

Said carpet had rows of guards on each side and they all respectfully saluted the woman who was leading the rest.

"Your Holiness."

"Good evening, your Holiness."

Salutes that were like that and so on, and so forth.

And it was obvious why, for Ludovica Aldert was the one who they were saluting. Furthermore, she was taking her valued guests to be formally introduced to the noble society of the Kyrie Kingdom.

Although, that is not to say that there were not any commoners in there.

Because there were.

Those with great achievements would always receive an invitation.

There was also a lottery for any citizens of each territory and their family to win an invitation.

The reason behind this was simple, it was for the nobles and royals to not lose touch with their citizens.

They were not there as simple tokens, no.

They were there as important guests, ones that must be heard and treated with respect.

There was no discrimination towards them.

For doing so would be to dishonor both the law of the Kingdom and the Goddess.

After all, nobles were but civil servants in the Kyrie Kingdom.

They were not above other citizens.

Their jobs' scope was the only difference.

The Goddess also spoke of never seeing oneself as above others or seeing others as lesser if one was a noble.

For only through humility and knowledge of whom they really serve can a strong country be built.

And her words have not been proven false...

Even if there was dissatisfaction towards the King on the capital, the other nobles who oversaw the many cities of the Kingdom were loved by their people and they have never lost touch with them.

"We are here, Lady Argento. I hope that you and I have a fructiferous night."

So said Ludovica to the woman that was beside her.

A benefit only given to Regents or people of equal standing.

"Hmph, I assure you. It will be."

Such were her words as a confident smile adorned her face, all while the doors to the hall opened and the lights bathed their whole selves, their entrance being preceded by the voice of the announcer who had already started.

"...her Holiness, Ludovica Aldert! Her guests, Lady Auros Argento, Miss Eresh Kur, Miss Gabrielle Aeryn and Miss Erica La Fonte."

And the moment they all stepped in; it was the moment everyone was left agape by the beauty of Ludovica's guests.

Of course, said Ludovica had a smug smile on her face as she saw such reaction.

A reaction that left no space for murmurs, nor people walking to greet them, they were all just admiring in silence.

Yes…everyone simply watched as they moved inside the venue.

It was then that the woman named Auros Argento smiled and said the following:

"Very well then, time to work."

 

 

To be continued...(cue illustration of almost everyone in their dresses…NO, REALLY! SCROLL DOWN!!)(UP NEXT: AUROS FINALLY DISCOVERS THE REASON FOR ONE OF THE LONGEST MISUNDERSTANDINGS IN EARLY CHAPTERS!! SO SHOCKING!! SO SURPRISING!!)

Without further ado, Auros, Erevain, Gabrielle and Erica in their formal dresses by HeliumGasSong from Wattpad and our discord server!

Thank you so much to HeliumGasSong for bringing them into reality! If you liked this chapter, then please drop a heart on it!If you'd like to support the story and me in another way, then please consider subscribing to my patreon or donating to my ko-fi! Your support really helps!

Special thanks from the bottom of my heart to: EmbraceTheSleeb, Lord-Hollow, YukisoraRin, LordInquisitorSteele, Anon, Anon2, Tikku, Teresa, Ayth, Knight_Redundant, and Schoookie!

Please do not translate my work without my permission. Favor de no traducir mi trabajo sin mi expreso permiso.

Thank you for reading! See you all tomorrow! 

161