Chapter 4: A Strategy
47 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

‘You were staring at her.’ Hange said with a smirk.

 

‘Tch, was not.’ Replied Levi with a frown. 

 

‘You were. You care for her.’ Hange replied, still smirking.

 

‘ I just think that the planning for missions should be left to you and Armin. I just don’t think a brat like her should be in on these meetings.’ Levi replied while taking a sip of his tea. 

He’s changed. He’s different when she’s around. Hange thought to themself. Hange had noted the changes. Levi became clumsier when Lexi was around. He was not his usual cool level headed self. He seemed more protective when it came to her well being. They were not huge changes, they were subtle little ones that were not noticed except for Hange. Only because Hange had worked with Levi and had been friends with their comrade for years now. The commander studied Levi as he continued looking out the window. They smiled to themselves. They could  see something blossoming between Levi and Lexi and hoped that the Captain would finally find the love he deserved. 

        Levi left his meeting with Hange, thinking about what was discussed for the upcoming mission. The expedition was to take place in two days time and he was not sure that the new recruits were ready. None of them had actually engaged with titans yet. 

        ‘Tch, should leave them here.’ Levi said to himself as he continued walking. He hoped for no more casualties.   Levi was headed to his room/office to change into some more casual clothes so he could join the rest of the troops in their workout. Levi continued on his walk to his room when he saw her. She was smiling and laughing as she was running with her friend. She was always with her friend. What was her friend’s name? Iris, that was right. Levi watched her as she continued on her jog. It was her strategy they were going to try on this new expedition. She was smart, probably one of the smartest in the Survey Corps apart from Hange and Armin. Her skills would be put to the test in two days time. Levi continued watching Lexi for a time and studied her. She was beautiful, with her long dark brown hair and her dark brown eyes. Levi could not deny his feelings for her, it was something he had never felt before. 

    Levi reflected on the time that he broke down in front of her. He had never broken down in front of anyone before besides Hange’s predecessor and the man he respected the most. What would Erwin say if Levi confided in him how he was feeling about Lexi? Levi sighed. Lexi had been so kind to him and caring. She seemed to care for Levi as much as Levi cared about her. Could it be? Could she be feeling the same as he was? Levi shook his head. He could not  return the feelings as he had told her that night. It was not appropriate for he was her superior. But yet, he felt like he could not stay away from her. He felt almost a magnetic like pull to be near her. Whenever she was around, he felt happier, more at peace. 

    Levi continued on his trek back to his room still contemplating his situation. He weighed the outcomes and possibilities of him telling her how he felt. He could not, he just couldn’t. Levi shook his head.  What would happen if I did tell her how I felt? Would she feel the same? Or am I just imagining things? What would happen if it got out that we were together? What would Hange say? Levi thought to himself. Levi shrugged out of his coat and slipped off his shirt trading it for a short sleeve short. He untied his boots and took those off before grabbing a change of pants. He unbuckled his dress pants and pulled on some more casual ones. He grabbed his boots and pulled them on once more tying off the laces. He headed back out the door, shutting it behind him. He walked down the now almost empty corridor and headed out the main doors. Once he was outside, he began stretching his tense muscles. Once his muscles were all stretched out he headed to join the rest of the troops in the jogging exercise. Levi stopped for a second when he saw her, Lexi. She was there with her friend Iris, both glistening with sweat. He watched as she took a swig of her water canteen. She was laughing and joking with her friend. Her cheeks were rosy  and her eyes were sparkling. Levi quickly looked back towards the trail and continued on his jog. 

    Levi did a couple more laps with the group before calling it quits for the day. The expedition was due to leave in just two days. Levi had his doubts about whether it was wise to bring the new recruits on this expedition. They had not yet faced a titan and some of them had not seen one to begin with. They were oblivious to the dangers that the titans could really pose. And then there was the matter of her being at the front of the formation. Lexi had a brilliant mind and should be left in the middle with the others. But Hange specifically asked for her to be up front of the formation with the more veteran soldiers. Levi had objected immediately to this idea. But he did not know why at first and then he realized, he wanted to protect her. This feeling he had been denying for so long was making its presence more known. Levi again pushed away the thought. He headed back to his room for the night. But first he needed a bath. 

    Hange continued pouring over the formation plans for the upcoming expedition, They were looking for any gaps or any possible ways a titan could possibly break the formation. Hange put their glasses on top of their head and rubbed their eyes. They were tired, it had been a long day of meetings and planning. Hange was excited about the prospect of capturing another titan for research experiments. Hange got up from their desk and stretched. They looked at the time and it was well past midnight. They started to pick up their papers and put them away and started to dim their oil lamp. Just as they were proceeding to do this, they heard a knock on the door. Hange sighed. They ignored it. Surely whatever it was it could wait till morning. Whoever was at the door knocked again. Hange continued to ignore it. The person at the door began pounding at the door. 

    ‘Hey shitty four eyes, open up. It’s me.’ said the voice. 

    ‘Levi?’ Hange replied surprised. What could he possibly want at this hour?

    ‘Who else would it be? Open the damn door.’ 

    ‘Alright, alright, come in clean freak.’ Hange opened the door and there stood the captain.

    ‘About damned time.’ Levi muttered. Hange smiled at the captain. He looked anxious. 

    ‘Hey Levi, what can I do for you?’ Hange asked while motioning for Levi to sit down. Levi pulled out the chair and sat down in it, crossing his arms and legs. He looked at Hange with an expression that was hard to read as always. 

    ‘I am requesting Lexi Sayers be put into my squad for this mission,’ Levi replied.

    ‘Why’s that Levi?’ Hange inquired, smirking. 

    ‘What are you smirking at four eyes? And do you really need to ask? If you don’t know you’re an idiot.’ Levi replied tersely. ‘ So can she be in my squad or what?’ 

    ‘Permission granted captain. But you will have to be the one to tell her.’ 

    Levi paused for a moment and uncrossed his arms and then crossed them again. ‘Why do I need to tell the brat?’ Levi asked.

    ‘You’re the one requesting her, so you’re the one that gets to tell her.’ Hange replied matter of factly. Levi gave one last glare at Hange and then proceeded to stand up. ‘Thanks four eyes.’ Levi mumbled before leaving.

    ‘Goodnight Levi.’ Hange said, smiling. Levi gave a slight nod before walking out the door. Hange dimmed the oil lamp and put away their papers before heading to their room themselves. 

    It was late and most of the troops were to be in bed during this hour but Levi found himself awake which was normal for him. He hardly slept, getting maybe 2-3 hours of sleep each night. And he preferred the comfort of his chair rather than his bed. Levi found himself in front of Lexi’s room. He was not even aware where his feet had carried him. He lightly knocked on the door. No answer. He knocked again. Still no answer. Levi sighed, realizing the time and that maybe this was a bad idea. He knocked one last time and heard a stirring from the room.

    ‘Nnnnhh coming…’ said a sleepy voice. And there she was holding a candle, Levi could barely see her face in the darkness except by the faint glow of the candle. Her hair was messy and dishevelled. She was wearing nothing but a white nightgown. Levi found himself tongue tied and lost for words. She looked adorable. Lexi looked up and realization quickly came to her face. Her cheeks started to grow red from embarrassment realizing that she was in nothing but her nightgown.

        ‘Um...Cappttaiinn...Leevvviii... how can I help you?’ Lexi asked quickly, running a hand through her messy hair, the candle in her other hand slightly shaking.

        Levi sighed. No matter how many times he had asked her she still kept calling him Captain Levi instead of just Levi. Levi cleared his throat and quietly said ‘You’re now on my squad for this mission brat. I expect the best out of you and for you to use that giant brain of yours.’ 

    Lexi nodded her head in stunned silence. Captain Levi was here outside her door at midnight. She could not believe it. She shyly looked up at him and as always could not read what he was thinking. 

    ‘Do not let me regret this decision. Own your choices, have no regrets.’ Levi quietly said to her. Lexi nodded her head quickly

    ‘Yes sir.’ Lexi replied. Levi grasped her hand that was shaking. He blew out the candle. 

    ‘Get some sleep. We have a busy day ahead of us. Goodnight Lexi.’ 

    ‘Goodnight Captain.’ Lexi whispered quietly. Levi turned and left back to his quarters. Lexi went back to her bed contemplating what had just transpired. 

    The next couple of days went by quickly and before the scouts knew it, it was the dawn of the day of the new mission. Levi began getting his gear ready. Strapping his belts on, making sure his blades were sharpened, also making sure he had enough gas in his canisters. The last thing he did was put on his cravat. He quickly went to gather his horse from the stables and started to gear up his horse. He saw Hange in the lead and their squad next to them. Levi’s squad was also close by. He spotted her from a distance. Her in the standard survey corps gear. This time her friend was not with her due to her being in a different squad. Levi finished saddling up his horse and mounted the horse. He rode out of the stables and trotted to the front next to Hange.

    Levi gazed around and noted the new recruits seemed nervous, but he also saw brave faces. Some of them it was their first time ever on a mission. Levi flicked his gaze towards Lexi, she seemed stoic and also anxious. This was her first time being in the more elite squad. Levi felt an overwhelming sense of protection, he wanted to protect this girl, no woman. He still pushed the feeling back and flicked his gaze forward again. The sun was barely starting to rise just on the horizon. Levi looked at Hange and nodded his head. Hange returned the nod. 

    ‘Let the expedition commence!! Let’s go hunt some titans! Yahoo!’ Shouted Hange with glee and swiftly kicked their horse into gear. Their horse quickly galloped forward. Levi and the rest of the troops quickly proceeded behind them. And they were off on a new mission. 

    ‘Let's  put this new strategy to the test.’ Levi thought to himself as he continued onward. 

   

       

   

   

   

   

   

1