Chapter 10
85 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I can’t believe this fucking guy. Valery scanned Jason’s list again and again, eying its ridiculousness in full while Jason sat before her with an anxious grin. The list seemed to be a basis of what anyone would want, but for Valery it showed Jason wasn’t as smart as she thought.

Jasons Dream List:

Become rich

Get Perfect Grades

Lose Virginity

Get a Girlfriend

“Seriously, you black mail someone with psychic powers and you only think of four things. Are you kidding me?”

Munching quietly on his sandwich, Jason watched as the girl he never noticed broiled in a rage. “Whats wrong with it. Its important to keep your requests short and reasonable besides the list may grow as time goes on.”

Eying Valery Jason winced at the placid rage seated on her face. Sitting poised, ready to strangle him at any second. Or rater force him to strangle himself. Tucking his eyes back to his lunch, Valery let out a gruff sigh “well FYI I can’t do the first one. As you already know smartass my power only works through contact and since im opposed to stealing I don’t think I can hel-”

“Winston drive train station” watching Valery fall silent, Jason grinned to himself. Did she really think I didn’t track her? After the lunch room fiasco it was obvious she did something but nobody seems to remember. Meaning she either has a power she hasn’t discovered or someone’s covering for her.

As Jason’s musings clouded his mind, he finally noticed the list sitting soundly before him with three checks and one x “everything else I can do” Valery said “ but im not helping you rob a bank and you can forget getting any of my money”.

“Why not” Jason whined “you definitely don’t need the money I mean you go here for christ’ sake. Just ask your parents for some if you dont wanna steal”

In an instant, Valery fell silent. Her eyes were dull, lost in a bygone thought. Her face was dour but less tense than before. Weaker. Oppressed by some errant force that quelled her avarice. With a start Valery stood from the table snatching the list in a single sweep. 

“Lets just get  this stupid list over with”.

Hmm, what’s her deal? As Valery pressed for the exit, Jason couldn’t help but stare. His azure eyes glaring at his investment before spying a figure encroaching from the side. The visage passed in a blur, but the emerald glow that seemed to bleed through the wall sat keen. Before vanishing from perception.

Time dripped away, pooling around Valery’s feet. She knew what she had to do; she knew Jason had to die. Yet she didn’t know how. Though his existence gave precedent to new questions. Jasons right I’ve been sloppy but then shouldn’t everyone know I have powers. Sasha should be okay, but how come no one’s talked about the lunch room incident? Questions and their like swarmed Valery’s mind until the piercing wail of feed back pierced her consciousness “would Jason Moore and Vallery Blake please report to principal Yodice’s office”. 

Silence choked Valery’s words while whispers dotted the class, though their thoughts were one and the same.

Is she in trouble?

What did she do?

Why was she called?

What’s she in for?

The dread march to the office was one long and strange, distorted by spiraling staircases and breaking hallways, though its essence was wrong. Halls seemed to stretch a step longer, stairs lengthened and yawned, and though Valery reached the door all the same, Jason was not there to meet her. With a momentary pause, Valery let the errant thoughts creep in, whittling down to Dr. Yodice’s rumbling voice. Suddenly her mind seized. Caught and squirming like a throttled fish. The floor rose to meet her lifeless legs, pins and needles prickling her skin. As a single command swarmed her mind. Enter now! And use your mouth, not your mind.

Valery shivered erratically along the floor. Her legs now immobile noodles that rebuked the idea of escape. What just happened. How?! Why can he do that! That was supposed to be my power...Mine! What’s he going to do to me?! Is he going to hurt me? Kill me? They attacked me. I’M THE VICTIM! The threat of hot tears danced along Valery’s eyes and no sooner that they did the office door opened revealing the towering presence of Dr. Yodice “follow me, Miss Sinclair”.

Struggling against her own flesh, Valery lumbered into the choking room. Despite its size, its gray walls felt ever shifting, slinking closer and closer the moment an eye left them. Even the chairs though plush and soft bound Valery as she sat. Her body sinking into a post where she truly couldn’t leave. Dr. Yodice mulled through his files in silence, only sharpening the dread that stabbed Valery’s chest until he took his place, his not even daring to groan at his weight. Flipping through a small onset of papers Dr. Yodice gave seldom glance towards Valery permitting an exhausted huff to leave his gullet “Ive places a seal on the door so your silence is notably pointless.”

Stunned for a moment, Valery felt her tongue shrivel within her mouth. Seal? What does he mean, seal? Why isn’t Jason here? Is he plotting something? He’s clearly the same as me, but what’s going to happen? Catching a hitch in her breathing, Valery fought to hold it in, hoping Dr. Yodice hadn’t heard her sob. Yet the idea of children sobbing in such a dour room wasn’t too far-fetched for her. I wonder how many children he’s watched cry in his off- with the whip crack of paper against the desk Valery stared at the floor, concentration shattered and tears ready to fall. While Dr. Yodice bore through her very form.

“Now miss Sinclair er.... Miss Blake.” Dr. Yodice began. “I pride this school on being a learning ground for the mentally gifted, breaking them down, so they’re rebuilt stronger than before. Now call me old-fashioned but I don’t exactly care about your use of magic, lo craft at that.”

Magic?

“But the fact that you let yourself get exposed twice now is something I hold significant issue with. Now I will take care of Mr. Moores this time, but understand from now on you won’t receive my help anymore. Ask your parents or you house to help you, but as of now you’re on your own, are we clear?”

For a moment Valery sat stagnant, her mind abuzz gnarled in thought. What does he mean house? What’s lo magic? And what could my family ever do to help?

Swallowing the egregious lump in her throat, Valery dared to speak, her voice rough and pitched “U-um sir, I don’t exactly understand  what you’re talking about”

Eying a slight flicker behind Dr. Yodices glasses, Valery fought to sink back into the chair “Now Miss Blake I can understand how feigning ignorance may seem like a viable option but-”

“Im not feigning anything!” Valery blurted “I… I just dont know what you’re talking about saying I’m using magic and all that”

Suddenly a sharp pain sliced through Valery’s thoughts. Her body was weak. Limp. completely subject to scrutiny of Dr. Yodice. Clawing against her flesh, her muscles cried as her throat tightened in to brief gasps. 

“Hmm, I see” Dr. Yodice mused. With a distinct tilt of his head, Valery held audience as her body came back to her. Her chest tentatively shaking with each breath “you’re an errant, entirely clueless as to what you are”

Hesitant in her newfound freedom, Valery glanced at Dr. Yodices face and the once sharp callused eyes that sat before her seemed softened. Eyes that a parent would hold to a child. Swiftly clearing his throat Dr. Yodice straightened himself “it seems I have made a… vicious mistake”. Glancing around the room, Valery panicked as her skin slowed into a stiffened shell before falling slack to a normal cadence. No numbness nor weakness, yet the dread remained.

“I have no words that coud begin as an apology,” Dr. Yodice murmured, “but I believe there is something you are more in need of. So as of this weekend I will teach you your true heritage”

“And.. w-what’s that?” Valery asked.

“Well, I trust you’ve seen movies but... you’re a witch, Miss Blake. And its time you found out what that truly means.”

4