Chapter 7, part 10
215 6 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chelsea paused to take a sip from her water bottle before continuing.

“I’m sure you haven’t forgotten that our Principal didn’t give us the permit, so…?”

“Oh, of course. That’s why I suggested that we go on our free time; depart on Friday evening and return on Sunday night.”

Chelsea and Alba blinked.

“Well, considering the transportation, it’s possible.” the older girl said. “But what about the accommodation?”

“Don’t worry, my mother would arrange it for us.”

“Wait, seriously?”

“Mm-hm. I actually wanted to do so myself, but upon hearing my plans, somehow she got excited and told me to just concentrate on the trip.” Celina chuckled.

“…ah, so Aunty wanted to get back at them too.” Chelsea sighed. “Does that mean we are going to ‘invade’ them like you said before? How are we going to do that?”

“Umm…” Sigulf raised his hand. “Ask them politely for a duel?”

“I, is that how it goes?” Chelsea retorted, trying not to laugh.

“Eh!? It isn’t!?” Celina looked genuinely surprised.

“Cel, get a grip of yourself…”

“Well, it would be nice if they actually accept, though…” Alba laughed dryly.

“How about we go scouting instead?” Chelsea suggested. “We could enjoy… Whatever their campus has while observing and studying them discreetly.”

“Hmm, that’s actually viable, but then that means we can’t bring too much of us.” Celina responded.

“Why would you invite more, anyway?”

“Aren’t you the one who usually says ‘the more the merrier’?”

“Hahah, yeah, that’s just so Chelsea.” Sigulf added.

“S, shush. I did say that, but I don’t think it’s applicable for this particular plan.”

“Eeh? Can’t we just attack them? Just looking around sounds boring…”

“W, what!? Alba, how could you…!?”

“Y, you’re overreacting…”

“So, uhh, what’s the decision? Invasion by default?” Sigulf asked.

“No no no. We have to make sure first who will be going, four of us aside.” Chelsea replied.

“That’s right. If we end up with fewer members than expected, then scouting would be the better option.” Celina added.

“Ah, gotcha.”

———

On the adults’ side, as they made their way back…

“Ah, I just remembered.” Vigdis said.

“Hmm?”

“Sorry, but can you two go first? There’s… Something I need to do.”

“You’re not actually thinking to challenge her on a duel, are you?” Eliot raised his eyebrow.

“Ah, no, don’t worry. Not for the moment. …although, I would veeery like to.”

“That’s a bit worrying…”

“It’s alright, Mr. Fortier. Both of us are simply going to have a friendly ladies’ chat over a glass of wine or two.” Victoria tried to reassure.

“Ahahahahahah.” Vigdis, in return, let out a halfhearted, flat laughter which barely masked her annoyance, making Melanie sigh.

“Well, looks like we’ll be hanging around here. Call us just in case.”

“Oh, sure. Will do.”

“Fufu, such caring friends you have.”

“…shut it. Just let’s go somewhere that ain’t fancy.”

“Oh? That’s too bad. I thought you might like Lordshire’s special steak.”

“…”

———

Somehow, Vigdis resisted the steak’s temptation, and they ended up picking a cheaper pub with a private stall.

“Hmm, it’s been a while since the last time I drank ale.” Victoria commented. “By the way, quite the strong drinker, aren’t you?”

“Shut iiiit…” Vigdis retorted after downing her own drink. “You know damn well why we are here.”

“Oh, of course. I will listen—“

“Stop messing around!” she rather dramatically slammed the table. “What are you trying to pull!?”

Victoria blinked.

“I thought I told you? But in any case, nothing at this point.” she explained. “Though, I guess a bit of teasing won’t hurt~”

“You…! Even though you are the Headmistress…! You…!” Vigdis pointed her finger towards her repeatedly, trying to be menacing.

“Well, even if you say that, it can’t be helped… We have the same taste after all.” Victoria winked.

“Wha—” Vigdis went red. “Th, this isn’t about me! It’s you! And at least wait until he graduates!”

“Oh, so you actually don’t mind?” Victoria perked up a bit.

“Eh!? Well, umm… Technically no, but… Wait, no! Not at all! Especially you!”

“Talk about a smothering mother…” she sighed. “Although, I do admit, I am envious with the bond you have, getting to be close, hugging and raising—“

“A, are you saying that I’m grooming him!?”

“Eh? Nobody implied such thing, though?”

Awkward silence before Vigdis whimpered “…b, but I’m not—“

“Don’t worry, I’m not attacking you.” Victoria chuckled before she sipped her ale. “Everyone has their own… Vices, and the problems that comes with it.”

“T, that doesn’t excuse your actions!”

“Never said it was.”

Vigdis wanted to retort again, but stopped upon seeing her opponent spacing out, looking a bit serious if not melancholic.

“I did think about it too. ‘Why him?’. Predictably, I can only came up with ‘it can’t be helped’ as an excuse.” Victoria exhaled. “Of course, I guess it would be best for the parties involved if I dismiss this… ‘feelings’ as a passing fancy.”

Vigdis’ expression slightly softened, though she still maintained her scowl.

“A woman like you, I swear…” Vigdis sighed. “Why haven’t the board do anything about you, again?”

“Because even I myself only realized about it recently.” Victoria laughed. “I guess that’s what happen when someone was too busy building their empire.”

“No, they don’t…” Vigdis countered. “…and for a while, I was actually jealous with your frankness.”

“Why thank you. Do you need some assistance on being more honest towards a special someone?”

“H, huh!? What do you—“

“Hmm? I thought he is your backup plan?”

I took a moment for Vigdis to understand what Victoria meant.

“Eliot is— Not… My… B…” she couldn’t finish and ends up trailing off.

“Wait, could it be that… You wanted them both? Oh my, I don’t usually judge, but—“

“T, that’s not even close to the mark!”

“I jest, my apologies.” Victoria giggled. “So you still cannot decide between the two, yes, yes.”

“H, how did you even come to that conclusion!?”

———

Outside, Eliot was visibly restless, pacing around near the restaurant, while Melanie watches.

“…I hope she didn’t do anything rash.”

“Wanna take a peek inside, then?”

“N, no, I wasn’t—“

“No need to act cool, your students aren’t around. Or so I see.”

“Ugh… Even if you say so…”

Melanie let out a tired sigh.

“I swear, when it comes to you two, it’s always like this.” she pointed out. “Yet here I am, hanging around…”

“Then why— Wait a second.” Eliot suddenly stopped as he realized something. “Could it be that…”

“Huh?”

“You secretly harbor some feelings to either one of us?”

Melanie nearly faceplanted.

“Unless both of you are REALLY that dense, you should have figured the answer by now.”

“So, no?”

“Nope. Can’t really picture myself with you. Or Vigdis for that matter.” she clarified. “Though, at least there won’t be any needless drama.”

“I, I see. Sorry for the trouble, then…”

“For real, when one is a ‘boy’ who can’t be more honest, and the other is an overly carefree yet kind of indecisive ‘girl’, it’s up to their ‘good friend’ to smooth things up. …being used to the third-wheel role helps too, ahahahahahah.”

“…kinda sad when you said it yourself.” Eliot commented. “I’m actually surprised you’re still single.”

“Yeah, I wonder why too… I know that I was deeply engrossed with my medical studies—” Melanie muttered. “Wait, that sounds like something the Principal would say. Aww, I can’t even tease Vigdis’ boy now that he’s with Celina.”

“…oi, get a grip.”

Just as Melanie was about to respond, Vigdis and Victoria finally exited the pub.

“Ah, there they are.” Melanie pointed out.

“You okay?” Eliot asked Vigdis. “How was it?”

“Eh? Oh, um, I’m fine, thanks. Although…”

Vigdis turned to eye Victoria before continuing, “Some things do get cleared, but I still can’t accept her!”

“My, what else can I do to convince you?” Victoria sighed, feigning disappointment.

“In the end, what are you two even talking about…?” Melanie let out a dry laughter.

“…that said, I do understand you a bit more now. Still, don’t think we could ever get chummy, alright?”

“Fufu, how cold. Even though you seemed to appreciate my advice on being more frank.”

“Khiiiih! Don’t get ahead of yourself!” Vigdis screeching before turning again to Eliot and Melanie. “Elly! Mel! Are you free!?”

“Drinking this early isn’t good, you know.” Melanie chuckled. “But sure, count me in. I’m sure we have things to talk about too.”

“But, I have paper—“

“Come on, now! Don’t be like that!” she cut Eliot off. “By ‘things’, what I meant was… Well, it’s for you two!”

“Eh? Me and Elly?”

“I get what you are trying to do, but—“

“Save it for later.” Melanie quickly grabbed Eliot and Vigdis’ hands. “Let’s try to talk like adults! Ah, I’ll make sure not to go overboard with the alcohol.”

“Boo, boo! What’s the point then?” Vigdis protested.

“How can we think and talk straight while drunk? I mean, remember last time?”

“Ah, right. I haven’t see Eliot in a cheerleader or maid costume.”

“…we haven’t even started yet.” Eliot retorted.

“Well then, Principal! If you excuse us now!”

“Oh, sure, fufu. Good day to you three.”

“Oi, Melanie…!”

“Mel, don’t pull!”

Victoria simply watched as Melanie went away with Vigdis and Eliot.

“Such a jolly bunch. Must be nice.” she commented. “Well, I guess it’s time to enjoy this quiet weekend…”

———

Sunday morning. Normally, Sigulf and the others would be out practicing, but unexpected heavy rain forced them to stay indoors.

“Strange, even the forecast said nothing about this.” Celina commented.

“Well, I guess it’s one of those days.”

“Man, I don’t wanna get rusty…”

“…”

“What’s the matter?”

“My room seems to be the go-to hanging spot, huh?” Sigulf answered, noting the presence of Alba and Chelsea.

“…ah. I just end up following Chelsea without realizing…!” Alba responded.

“Eh!? Wait, why did I— O, oh! That’s right, I have to make sure nothing funny happens between you two!” Chelsea gave her excuse.

“W, what do you mean by ‘funny’!?” Sigulf stammered, while Celina merely went red.

“Ah-hem! Good thing that I was prepared for this, and so…!” Chelsea exclaimed while taking out some text books.

“Eeh!? I thought our study session was supposed to be days before the test!?” Alba protested.

“Hush, I know we can make it, but reviewing once in a while is never a bad thing. Quick, Alba! Give me a brief summary of the beginnings of True Arms and dueling!”

“W, what!? Oh, umm, err… I think it started when—“

A loud thunder out of the blue startled all four.

“Kyaa, lightning!”

“Eeh!? S, Sigulf, are you alright!?” Celina asked.

“Oh, I’m fine. It was a joke, sorry.”

“Uwa, disgusting…” Alba retorted with disdain.

Sigulf was about to snap back when, this time, the lights went out.

There was a short silence before Sigulf let out an “…a.”

9