Prologue, part 4
1.8k 7 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hmm… The color choice wasn’t bad.”

7 in the morning. Done with breakfast and packing his lunch, Sigulf seems to be admiring his new uniform; a blue jacket with white and gold accents, paired with slightly blue-tinted white trousers.

“Still, I’m not sure what to do with this, though.” He looked at a yet-to-wore periwinkle-colored cloth in his hand. Apparently, it’s supposed to be either a necktie or a ribbon.

Sigulf then decided to open his Personal Organizer, and scrolled down to the uniform code.

“You can even lightly modify your uniform? That was lax.” He mused. “Well, then.”

Sigulf took the cloth and tied it around his neck, making a simple, cowboy scarf.

“Better than a necktie or a ribbon, alright.”

Satisfied, he picked up his backpack, went outside, and locked his room.

———

Stepping out of the dorm, Sigulf stopped a moment to take a good look at the surrounding scenery.

‘3 years.’ He thought. ‘3 years and this will be my new home.’

As the spring breeze flew by, Sigulf adjusted his scarf. A bit chilly, but then again, he’s used to it.

“I’m going.”

Saying it to one in particular, Sigulf turned around and headed towards the assembly hall.

———

By the time he arrived at the hall, there were already some students there, though Sigulf noted that some of them are probably ceremonial staff. Looking for an empty seat, he noticed there were some in the middle. Sigulf heads there and took a seat. Checking his clock, there’s still some time before the ceremony began.

‘Hmm…’ Sigulf thought as he looked around. ‘I don’t see Amakawa anywhere… Wait, is that Hestianus? And she’s with those two from yesterday. They did say something about the ceremony. A welcome speech, perhaps?’

As Sigulf is pondering alone, a boy is approaching his seat.

“Excuse me.” The boy called. “Is this seat taken?” he pointed to the one beside Sigulf.

“Ah, no. Go ahead.”

“Thank you.” The boy gratefully replied.

As he sat down, Sigulf noticed that the boy was rather lithe. He tied his hair into a low-ponytail with a small white ribbon. And somehow, his face looks rather girly. Not that Sigulf would say that to his face.

‘Judging from his face… An Asian perhaps?’

As the boy seems to be preoccupied with his Personal Organizer, Sigulf decided to look around a bit more. He then noticed yesterday’s big-eater girl came into the hall, half running. The girl then sat somewhere a bit far, all by herself.

‘Somehow I think I have seen her before. Was it at the exams?’

In the end, Sigulf couldn’t really remember, so he reclined in his seat, decided to wait for the opening ceremony to start.

———

First thing that surprised Sigulf after the ceremony started was the MC is none other than the brunette he met yesterday. After introducing herself, she gave a brief rundown of the ceremony before temporarily stepping back, proceeding with the events.

‘The student council vice-president, Chelsea Kensington…’ he noted. ‘So that means the blonde is…’

Next, despite what happened yesterday, Eurypha still got to give her speech as the representative of the newcomers. Standing at the podium, everyone paid attention to her as she continued on.

‘So they let her off the hook. That said, I do think it wasn’t a major offense.’ Sigulf thought.

The audience gave her a round of applause as she finished her speech. Stepping down from the podium, Chelsea takes over.

“Next is the welcome and congratulatory speech from our student council president, Celina Bartram. Miss Bartram, if you will.” Chelsea announced.

‘Bartram…!’ Sigulf realized. ‘I see… So the president is the daughter of that Bartram family. That would also explain her skills…’

The whole room fell silent as she made her way to the podium, each step filled with grace and serenity. When she finally reached the podium and started her speech, everyone on the room listened with full attention, and doubly so for Sigulf.

‘I guess this is to be expected from the president.’ He mentally commented. ‘She conveyed her presence well with the speech.’

“Once again, congratulations to the graduates. We wish you good luck on your future endeavors.” Celina said, as she about to finish her speech. “And to the newcomers, congratulations for passing the exams. We welcome you to this Atlantic Academy. Good luck, and may victory favor us all!”

The room gave a standing ovation for Celina as she stepped down from the podium.

‘That was a gripping speech. And impressive.’ Sigulf thought.

Continuing right after her is a welcome speech and brief history from the principal. Sigulf watched closely as the principal walks for the podium.

‘Victoria Stark… That’s the principal?’ Sigulf thought, a bit surprised.

As Sigulf noted, the principal is a woman in her 30s. And a gorgeous one, admittedly, matched well with her equally elegant long, wavy brown locks.

‘And here I am ogling at beauties. Get your shit together.’ Sigulf mentally reprimanded himself.

Thankfully, the principal made her speech concise and on point, earning a round of applause. The ceremony then closed with a short briefing by Eliot as the representative for the teachers. Finally, the assembly was promptly dismissed, and everyone mobilized to their respective classrooms.

———

As their group, the A-class as Sigulf remembered, arrived in front of the class, Eliot opened the door and let the students get in first.

‘36 seats arranged in a 6×6 pattern… A bit bigger than I thought.’ Sigulf noted as he took a quick glance on the room. Recalling his assigned number, he immediately heads to his designated seat.

‘Number 13… Here it is.’ Sigulf thought as he put down his backpack and sat down; his seat is around the middle, rightmost of the room. Once again, Sigulf decided to take a look at his surroundings.

‘Let’s see… Ah, there he is.’ He thought as he found Minato.

The boy in question sat on second from the back, at the leftmost of the room. He also noticed that the redhead girl is on Minato’s front, the white haired coffee girl on his rear, and Eurypha is on his right.

‘…is it just me or those seat placement is a bit strange?’

Having found Minato, Sigulf then realized that the ponytailed Scottish girl sits directly in front of him, while the Asian boy from the opening ceremony is on his left. The boy gave Sigulf a slight bow as he recognized him, which he promptly returned. And further to the left is the boy Sigulf remembered as the unofficial judge.

‘Funny, the ones I noticed the most are all on the same class.’ Sigulf mused.

Sigulf then continued his observation, noticing that some of them already talking to each other. Either they are old friends, or they have the admirable trait; the courage to take the initiative and try to make friends.

‘Sadly I can’t say the same for me.’ Sigulf thought. ‘I often don’t know what to do or say in situations like that…’

Sigulf watched the class interaction for a while before the bell finally rings and Eliot promptly returned inside.

“It’s nice to see that some of you got along well already.” Eliot commented as soon as he got to the center of the classroom. “Very good, we mustn’t forget that all of us here are fellow duelists from the one and only Atlantic academy. And now without further ado… Ladies and gentlemen! I’m sure you have all heard about me on the assembly, but my name is Eliot Fortier. For one year, I will be your classroom instructor. Pleased to meet you all.”

26