Chapter 1: A Circle of Duelists Gathered Around the Oaken Table, part 1
1.8k 9 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Mm-hm. Don’t worry. …err, what? Don’t you think it’s too soon? Haah… Alright. OK. Mm. Later, Master.”

Sigulf ended the call and promptly back to eating his breakfast. His master, Vigdis, called him earlier, mainly asking how was the first day, as well as a bit of teasing.

‘Well, it’s still the first day. Not much has happened, I think.’ Sigulf thought while munching his meal.

Finally done with his breakfast, Sigulf cleaned up his dish. Then he checked himself in front of the mirror one last time, tied his neck scarf, and went out from his room.

———

During his way to the class, Sigulf can’t help but feel that some of students stared at him or whispering something to each other.

‘What’s going on here?’ he thought.

This goes on until what sounds like a girl scream could be heard coming from the hallways, which at that point, everyone decided to take a look, Sigulf included. As he arrived along with the others, however…

“Ahn, I didn’t know Japanese men could be this frank…”

“N, no! You got it wrong!”

‘Ah right, this guy walked on a girl changing before…’ Sigulf thought while suppressing his urge to facepalm.

He, and everyone on the hallways, saw Minato on top of Carmen, apparently stumbled one way or another, with his face now buried in her chest.

“I, I have to get up somehow…!” Minato said, trying to use his hand as leverage. Unfortunately, it ends up on Carmen’s bosom instead.

“Hyan, I’m being violated on broad daylight…!”

“!!!! D, don’t say such misleading things!” Minato retorted, his face has gone completely red. Meanwhile, groans of lamentation could be heard from the crowd.

“A-ma-ka-waaa…!” a female voice suddenly growled, which made Minato turns back.

“E, eh…?”

Minato saw Eurypha with her arms crossed, clearly furious.

“Just when I thought you are a much better man than this…” she said. “Then I’ll set you straight myself!!”

“Whoa!” Minato yelled as he avoided Eurypha’s sudden kick. As he finally managed to get up from Carmen, Minato ran towards the opposite direction.

“Wait! Come back here, idiot!!” Eurypha shouted as she gave chase.

“That wasn’t intentional!”

As the two disappeared, Carmen finally stood up and dusted herself off.

“Aww, too bad. I was hoping it would be a little longer…” she said. “Minato Amakawa, huh? Fufufu, I’ll make you head over heels for me!”

“Argh, damn! First is Hestianus and now Rosales too!?” one of the mobs lamented, which is then met by agreement.

‘I guess that’s it for morning comedy. Now…’ Sigulf thought as he decided to return to the class.

When he entered the room, he saw few of his classmates did the same thing; glancing at him before whispering to each other.

‘Again… Seriously what’s happening?’

Reaching his seat, Sigulf looks at Yuu, who seems to be normal.

“Ah, morning, Sig-kun.”

“Morning.” Sigulf replied as he sat down.

“Hm? Is something wrong?”

Sigulf looked around before replying, “…I don’t know. Feels like people are watching me.”

“Eh? Isn’t that obvious? You defeated a talented knight, after all.”

“It would be good if that’s really the case…” Sigulf responded, still unconvinced.

“?”

Not long after, the bell rings. Eliot, as well as Minato and Eurypha, entered the class.

‘Hope I’m just overthinking stuff…’

Without saying anything, he decided to focus on the lecture.

———

As lunch break comes, Sigulf stood up and prepared himself to exit the classroom.

“Hm? Where are you going?” Yuu asked him.

“Rooftop.” Sigulf replied while showing his lunch box. “Wanna join?”

“Eh? Isn’t it a bit cold?”

“A bit. Well, I’m used to it, though.”

“I see… I guess I’ll pass then. Sorry.” He apologized with a bitter smile.

“It’s alright. Catch you later, then.”

Sigulf left the class, making his way to the rooftop.

———

Like yesterday, there weren’t much people having lunch on the rooftop.

‘Both of them aren’t here yet, huh…’ Sigulf thought about Celina and Chelsea. ‘I’ll just start first then…’

Sitting on the corner, Sigulf began eating his lunch, while gazing at the scenery.

‘The view alone is worth it.’ He mentally commented.

“Ah, he’s already here.” A familiar voice said.

Sigulf turned his attention and saw the student council duo.

“Good afternoon.” Celina greeted him. Chelsea smile and waved.

Sigulf swallowed his food first before replying, “Good afternoon.”

The girls approached him, before Sigulf stood for a moment so Chelsea could lay the blanket.

“There, it should be warmer now.” Chelsea mentioned.

Silence falls as they continued with their lunch.

‘I did say I prefer a peaceful lunch, but this is a bit too much even for me…’

“You are by yourself again today.” Celina suddenly pointed out, making Chelsea surprised a bit.

“Eh? Ah, right… Actually I invited a classmate. He declined, though. A bit too cold, he said.” Sigulf explained.

“I see… That’s too bad…” Chelsea added.

“Hmm…” Celina seemed to be thinking for a while. “Say, do you feel people are watching or talking about you?”

The question kind of caught Sigulf off-guard.

“I guess…” he simply replied.

“I see… I assume you are Sigulf Hrimgard, then?”

“…yeah.” His answer made Chelsea looks a bit worried, while Celina kept her neutral expression. “So it got something to do with yesterday, after all?”

“Most likely.” Celina responded. “But first, congratulations on your first victory here.”

“Huh!? Oh, um, right. Thank you very much…?”

“You’re welcome.” Celina responded. “And then, we would like you to be more cautious.”

Sigulf kept silent, seemingly understands what Celina is going at.

“In case something happened, don’t hesitate to contact us.” Celina added.

“Is it alright for you, telling me this? I mean, why?” Sigulf asked.

“I’m the student council president. It’s my duty to ensure no dishonourable conducts shall happen.” Celina stated. “Besides, I believe you gave your word about… The previous issue. Think of this as an exchange of favors.”

“Ah, I see…”

“So, what do you think?”

“Fair enough.”

Celina cracked a small smile at his response. “Very good.”

‘She’s really cute when she smiles…’ Sigulf thought.

Meanwhile, Chelsea sighed at the two, both of relief and exasperation.

“Come to think of it, Cel…” the brunette said. “We haven’t even properly introduced ourselves.”

Celina froze for a moment before looking back at Sigulf.

“Pardon my rudeness.” The blonde apologized to him.

“No, it’s alright…”

“You might remember already, but in any case—“

“This beeeeeeeautiful girl here,” Chelsea interrupted half-jokingly, earning a glare from Celina. “Is the student council president, Celina Bartram. And I’m the vice-president, Chelsea Kensington.”

“…pleased to make your acquaintance.” Celina finished.

“Likewise, the pleasure is mine.” Sigulf replied.

———

The three finished before lunch break is over and parted ways. Making his way back to the classroom, Sigulf recalled what Celina said.

‘I appreciate the offer. Still, it would be better if today could pass by without hitch.’

Unfortunately, as Sigulf returned to the class, things turned out not quite like he had hoped.

“Ah, Sig-kun.” Yuu called. “Some upperclassmen looked for you earlier.”

“Shit.” He cursed. “Already, huh…”

———

Meanwhile, on the 2nd-years’ area…

“Chelsea, do you think we can finish the council’s papers earlier for today?”

“So you are worried, after all.”

“It’s a part of our duty.”

“I know. Well, leave it to me!”

“Chelsea… Sorry for troubling you.”

“You’re saying that now?” she giggled. “Still, it’s very nice for you.”

“Hm? About what?”

“I want to have an underclassman who looks passionately at me, too.”

Celina froze for a moment again. “…wait, did he?”

“No, I was just messing with you.”

Celina sighed.

25